Author Topic: Kick-Ass Game Boy/Game Boy Color Games  (Read 5696 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Kick-Ass Game Boy/Game Boy Color Games
« on: July 06, 2008, 10:52:26 PM »
As I've been putting cases on my older Game Boy/Game Boy Color game paks, I've found myself replaying some of my favorites.  Now, there's plenty of people who think a Portable Virtual Console wouldn't be worth the effort, as the GB/GBC don't really have that many titles that would be worth paying $5 for, but I disagree.  Sure, there may not be as many titles as, say, the SNES... but there's probably enough memorable titles to match the Neo-Geo Duo or such.

So, what are some of your favorites and why?  What games would you be willing to tell someone they should pay $5 to download?

Obviously, I'm going to mention Link's Awakening/Link's Awakening DX.  As the BEST DAMN GAME EVER MADE, it'd be worth paying twice as much to download.

Metroid II: Return of Samus is an awesome game as well.  I know there are those who think it really, really needs an in-game map, but after playing through it again, I have to disagree.  The planet is actually pretty darn small - it seems vast when you don't know where you're going, but if you had a map to make use of, I think it'd be quite a bit more noticeable just how small the planet is.  I have to say this game is leaps and bounds above the original Metroid and almost on-par with Super Metroid (game-play wise).

Donkey Kong '94 - This is the game I'm currently playing.  While I enjoyed enjoyed March of the Minis and I think Mario vs. Donkey Kong is one of the top GBA titles, this game really gets high marks.  Many of the levels look almost like they could have been in the original DK Arcade game.  Seriously, this is how Arcade games should be remade - add in about 100 new levels. ;)

To keep my list from only including 1st party titles, I'm going to throw Pyramids of Ra onto the pile.  One of my favorite puzzle games, this one will make fun of you to the point you want to smash it, but you'll keep coming back for more.  I've never found the end of this game (although the guy who programmed it claims it does have an end).

Here's a demo, although it's only a few levels, it gives you a good taste.  And this is *easy* in comparison to what awaits you if you choose to try this game.

Quarth is a half-shoot-em-up/half puzzle game hybrid.  Basically, you're a ship on the bottom of the screen.  Falling blocks of various shapes move toward you and you have to shoot squares at them to make them into complete rectangular shapes.  It's hard to describe, so just watch this video on YouTube.  I don't know if this was actually released on the NES outside of Japan - I know I only ever played it on the Game Boy.

Any other's that would be worthy of your $5?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Kick-Ass Game Boy/Game Boy Color Games
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 11:21:40 PM »
Metal Gear Solid (Ghost Babel) was actually a really good game (despite the cardboard box puzzles). Konami packed a lot into a GBC cartridge. Also, Black Arts Viper was a pretty awesome villain.

Wario Land II was leaps and bounds better than Wario Land: (Fake) Super Mario Land 3. It's probably the reasons I'm so pumped for Shake It.

I must also praise Link's Awakening. It's so good that I am baffled that Capcom/Flagship's Oracle games were so mediocre.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 02:50:43 AM »
I got Gargoyle's Quest on a fleamarket but haven't played far due to password saves. Seems like a good game though.

All of the Super Mario Land games, obviously.

I'd like Nemesis II AKA Gradius: Interstellar Assault because I lost my cart :P. That one's not a port of a home console game AFAIK.

Always a classic: Volley Fire. You could get it on ANY of those X in 1 pirate carts, we even got multiplayer matches of it going because of that.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 07:38:22 AM »
Gameboy

It has been a while since I played them, but the Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle games were alot of fun and pretty challenging puzzle games.

Mole Mania is an excellent game, one of Miyamoto's lesser known creations. It is another puzzle game but a lot of fun.

Recently I picked up the first Donkey Kong Land and was having a decent time with it. It is no DKC but pretty decent for a plain old Gameboy game.

Gameboy Color

Perfect Dark needs to be mentioned here for sure. The game was pretty solid and extremely impressive for a Gameboy Color game.

Game & Watch Gallery series is also awesome. I have 2 and 3 and both have the original as well as a remade version of a number of G&W games.

Pokemon Pinball is a really solid pinball game of course and worth checking out.

Finally, Super Mario Bros. Deluxe was a pretty awesome remake of the original SMB complete with SMB 2 (JP) unlockable after scoring 300k points.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 04:45:09 PM »
Is it possible to find a complete copy of Metroid II?
I've looked on a bunch of websites (including Ebay) and all I could find was just the cart only.
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 08:18:06 PM »
Link's Awakening is my second favorite Zelda game and favorite 2D Zelda by a long shot.

Mario Tennis on the GBC is also one of my favorite games of all time, I love the RPG aspect of the game and I hated the GBA sequel because they ruined the game by including power shots in the way they did.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 08:30:36 PM »
Is it possible to find a complete copy of Metroid II?
I've looked on a bunch of websites (including Ebay) and all I could find was just the cart only.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Metroid-II-Return-of-Samus-Game-Boy-Ultra-RARE-Poster_W0QQitemZ250266140034QQihZ015QQcategoryZ139973QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There was a brand-new sealed one up recently... I think it had a BIN of $200.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 08:44:32 PM »
I really need to buy Link's Awakening it is one of the few Zelda games I never got to play much of.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 08:55:56 PM »
It's good. Interesting story and all. But I don't like the way it "feels" compared to other Zelda's. But that could be completely mental.  Get the DX version obviously so you can have the color & extra dungeon.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 09:21:32 PM »
I'm disappointed that Kirby hasn't gotten any love yet.  Kirby's Dreamland 1 and 2 are both excellent little titles.

The GB port of R-Type is also surprisingly competent, although I was never able to get past level 4 as a kid.  I really should go back and try it again now.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 09:49:21 PM »
It's good. Interesting story and all. But I don't like the way it "feels" compared to other Zelda's. But that could be completely mental.  Get the DX version obviously so you can have the color & extra dungeon.

The color is nice (great, actually), but the extra dungeon leaves a lot to be desired.  The Photo Hunt is rather amusing, although it always pee'd me off that you had to steal from the store to complete the photo album.  Either version is worth picking up.

Vudu: As for Kirby love, The first Kirby... is okay.  Very short and very easy.  I'm sad to say I've never played the second (I should, some of my favorite games are Kirby games)..  Kirby's Tilt N Tumble is pretty awesome, but I'm not sure how that would work on a VC Download....

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 10:54:20 PM »
Did anyone ever play Shantae? That seems one of the games in the pantheon of games-hardcore-love-to-wax-poetic-about-but-never-played.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 11:54:53 PM »

The color is nice (great, actually), but the extra dungeon leaves a lot to be desired.  The Photo Hunt is rather amusing, although it always pee'd me off that you had to steal from the store to complete the photo album.  Either version is worth picking up.

Vudu: As for Kirby love, The first Kirby... is okay.  Very short and very easy.  I'm sad to say I've never played the second (I should, some of my favorite games are Kirby games)..  Kirby's Tilt N Tumble is pretty awesome, but I'm not sure how that would work on a VC Download....

Oh I know what you mean. Stealing from the story is stupid because it changes your name to THEIF for the ENTIRE GAME. Dumb

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 03:36:00 AM »
The GB port of R-Type is also surprisingly competent, although I was never able to get past level 4 as a kid.  I really should go back and try it again now.

It's the hardest level of the game but I think I did beat it.

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 04:58:25 AM »
Thanks UncleBob but this seller doesn't ship overseas. :(
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 09:40:32 AM »
I have found that many sellers that don't ship overseas will if you contact them and ask nicely (and, of course, offer to pay the full shipping).

Beyond that, if you want to pay double shipping, you can have it shipped to me and I'll mail it out to you. Now that I found my copy, you won't have to worry about me keeping it. ;)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 10:33:52 AM »
I really need to buy Link's Awakening it is one of the few Zelda games I never got to play much of.

Yes, yes you do!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline jakeOSX

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 01:01:39 PM »
i also liked the two capcom zeldas, seasons and ages (did i remember that right?) which i pulled out to play again recently after i tried phantom hourglass and it made me cry.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 02:19:54 PM »
Holy crap, someone besides me likes Metal Gear: Ghost Babel. That's shocking, I thought people prefered the cutscene ladened Playstation titles.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 02:30:09 PM »
i also liked the two capcom zeldas, seasons and ages (did i remember that right?) which i pulled out to play again recently after i tried phantom hourglass and it made me cry.

Yes seasons and ages is quite.  Good I enjoyed those two.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 04:10:45 PM »
Holy crap, someone besides me likes Metal Gear: Ghost Babel. That's shocking, I thought people prefered the cutscene ladened Playstation titles.
It was #2 on the Gamerankings list until they increased the minimum number of reviews necessary to get on there IIRC.

Also, /me boils Hugh Bliss.