Author Topic: Nintendo Star System will Die on 02/07/08 in Europe  (Read 3088 times)

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
Nintendo Star System will Die on 02/07/08 in Europe
« on: July 01, 2008, 10:28:09 PM »
On 3 June, we reminded Club Nintendo members that any Stars that had been in their accounts for more than 24 months would expire. On 1 July, those Stars expired.

However, due to a database error, our general newsletter of 1 July stated a Stars amount that was incorrect and included the expired Stars in the Stars Balance section.

To correct this error, we are giving those who had Stars expiring from their account one extra day to redeem their Stars. After 17:00 on 2 July, the Stars Balance that appears as ‘Current Stars Balance’ in the My Account section of Club Nintendo will be the correct balance and the expired Stars will be allowed to lapse.

This email is being sent to clarify that your correct Stars Balance is the one that is in the My Account section of Club Nintendo. We apologize for any confusion that this might have caused.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=48119

Use your damn stars before you become like America with no star system.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 10:16:00 AM by Mr. Jack »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
What do stars do?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
What do stars do?

They make you invincible. Duh.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
I think they are a form of currency for their Club Nintendo, like our My Nintendo system but unlike ours they get things to spend them on. GP is correct too.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
According to the article you quoted the system isn't going away, they're just not letting you keep stars longer than 2 years.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
Yep insanolord is correct, this just means that if you have stars in your account balance that are more than 2 years old, redeem them now or you won't be able to soon. Otherwise the stars system cotinues as normal. They can be used to purchase bits of Nintendo merchandise from the Club Nintendo store, like caps and tees, remote control Mario Karts, stuff like that, as well as Wii Points at a 4:1 (Stars:Points) exchange rate. 
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
I thought it was one year. Doesn't really matter, I used my last few old stars (plus craploads of new ones) on 400 wii points to buy FFCCMLaaK (had 2400 points on my account, used 100 to buy both FFCC and LW from that) plus the shrine and luxurious house DLC.

Since the 5 stars per day were abolished as the wii points store went online all stars you get come from cards anyway and you can just wait until you need them before entering them.

BTW, 5000 stars can now buy Kirby and the Amazing Mirror though I doubt anybody has that many left on their account (with the new expiry you have to buy 20 first party Wii games within one year to afford that...).

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
I can barely get onto the site fast enough to purchase points. It's 2pm and yet all the points cards are sold out.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
They haven't been sold out since 1 month after launch, seems some people were procrastinating.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Star System will Die on 02/07/08 in Europe
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 07:42:41 PM »
I wish I got something for all of those registered Nintendo products...
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 03:43:28 AM »
I just logged in, and found that they do have the 1000 points cards, but it doesn't help that they wiped off 4000 points.

If NOE were a bank people would have complained until the camels came home.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 04:34:31 AM »
You know, you were told they'd expire back when the site changed to the new layout, you had one year to spend your stars.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 06:05:48 AM »
I couldn't be bothered, ultimately.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 07:16:10 AM »
I can't comprehend why Nintendo would even do this. What is the purpose of wiping peoples points after a year? Considering the registration becomes free market information for Nintendo the least they could do is leave the points there for eternity.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 09:26:33 AM »
Before the VC points were available there was very little to spend your stars on, most of the things you could buy were just half-assed merchandise (Tshirts labelled Wii and so on, nothing that really relates to gaming) and the good stuff (occassional GBA and DS games, for example) only came around once in a blue moon. Naturally people were stockpiling huge amounts of stars as there was nothing to spend them on. I guess they wanted to destroy those stockpiles though the wii points have created a good enough drain already. I don't think this will result in lower prices for stuff though, the number of games you have to buy to get anything good out of the store is still insane. In the past they gave you 5 stars for every day you visited the page but that was abolished to make way for the wii points.

I'd hope the disappearance of the stockpiles means they'll go for a 1:1 trade course for stars to wii points instead of the current 4:1 (a game gives you at most 250 stars) but I know that hope is futile.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2008, 11:43:54 AM »
The Stars system caters to their core customers, which they are trying to get rid of.

VIVA LA EXPANDUD AUDIANCE
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.