Author Topic: Nasa stopping space flights for 5 years?  (Read 25510 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: Nasa stopping space flights for 5 years?
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2008, 02:11:33 PM »
I am not going to get into a debate over the "integrity" of scientists so let's say I don't care what they say nor do I believe half of the crap that spews forth from their collective mouths.
Oh yes, Scientists are banded together in a massive conspiracy, pushing an agenda because they have so much to gain from research and experimentation.

Since this thread is already a train wreck
It is just a conspiracy by the anti-God "scientists".  The Bible doesn't tell us about dinosaurs, therefore they didn't exist, thus the idea that oil comes from them is bullocks.  Oil comes from God.

On another note, let's stop wasting taxpayer money on space "exploration" and let the private companies/individuals who want to use their money on it do so.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2008, 06:33:01 PM »
I'd hardly call it a waste, and NASA only gets a little over half of 1% of the federal budget. I'm all for less government spending but I don't want to lose NASA.

Damn, we've got mocking religion and a political discussion here, this is way trainwrecked.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2008, 06:49:32 PM »
To be fair, this thread was pretty train-wrecked before I ever posted in it.

And half of 1% of the federal budget is still a *lot* of money.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2008, 08:06:49 PM »
17.8 Billion dollars, to be exact.

J.P. Corbran

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2008, 09:43:05 PM »
You can buy a lot of foreign oil with 17.8 billion dollars.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2008, 10:07:18 PM »
Oil be damned, I want to boldly go where no man has gone before.

J.P. Corbran

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2008, 10:23:02 PM »
All I meant was how do they KNOW it comes from fossils. I wasn't making a political or religious accusation. I mean I am all for science and exploration, I just want to know where their "proof" comes from. I mean if oil is just ground up dino bones, why is it such a problem finding it? Why can't we grind up animal bones or whatever and make it ourselves? I just never heard that explanation before so I thought he was being funny.

"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2008, 10:33:36 PM »
We can't make it ourselves because it takes millions of years of heat and pressure to change them into oil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum  gives an explanation of the science behind it, but it's really technical. It also presents another theory that is accepted by a lot fewer people but says that it doesn't come from dinosaurs.

J.P. Corbran

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2008, 10:44:11 PM »
I never took a single science class after 9th grade Physical Science so I never knew that. I honestly thought it was like lava or water, it just existed.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2008, 08:45:34 PM »
The Project:
Project Constellation

One Giant Leap Back
The Ship:
Orion

The Lander:
Altair

The Rockets:
Overview Article
Ares I
Ares V
Ares IV

The Suit:
Constellation Space Suit

The Old Ball and Chain
The Space Station:
ISS

Bonus Content
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2008, 09:10:31 PM »
I don't really approve of the new way NASA is doing there space program.  I feel it is a true step back.  I also think Congress tied there hands with the inflatable station research, which showed promise.  Though in the end if this really does get us to Mars by 2020 I'll say its all worth it.

Read On for a funding rant...

17.8 Billion dollars, to be exact.

You know what makes me mad about that?  There is a bill right now to renew a support for a program to treat AIDs and HIV in Africa and other Third world countries. 

The cost: 50 Billion Dollars....

50 Billion and NASA only gets 17.8 Billion?  Not to mention how many Hundreds of Billion beyond the humongous operating budget goes into the Armed Service.

Things like that get me mad.  Investing in NASA is investing in well paying American Jobs.  Plus the offshoot products have done wonders for how we live.  ah...  Don't get me really started I love NASA and I hate the lack of Funding that it receives.  To tell you the truth I don't think there is a single Politician out of the House here in the US that is in touch with people and don't really live in an alternative reality.  God Bless the USM.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2008, 09:13:51 PM »
How about we actually finish the ocean ON OUR PLANET first before doinking around in space to look at all the pretty stars.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2008, 09:16:47 PM »
Hell, we haven't even finished exploring all the LAND...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2008, 09:21:52 PM »
Well, I'm pretty sure that we've already established sand monsters and fish monsters, so Earth is pretty much a beautiful crap shoot.
However, we've yet to prove Martians. Get to it, Science!
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2008, 09:47:17 PM »
How about we actually finish the ocean ON OUR PLANET first before doinking around in space to look at all the pretty stars.
Hell, we haven't even finished exploring all the LAND...
I support either one of those and NASA Helps with both.

Earth Observation
Weather Satellites

Also the second Jason is up which measures the ocean.

I just believe that the technology that comes from the space program benefits all areas of explorations.  NASA has even supported various studies of the ocean.

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2008, 11:27:29 AM »
Any plans that involved keeping the Hubble going? I read they were dismantling that also.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2008, 11:56:46 AM »
They just used an entire Shuttle mission to fix the thing, I doubt they'd have done that if it were scheduled to be taken out of service.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2008, 04:51:55 PM »
plugabugs, petroleum is oil. Oil is the slang name for petroleum, that is to say there are many types of oils, their all flammable, and oily, but petrolium is the one that comes from the ground and is used as fuel. Petrochemicals like gasoline, diesel, and karosine are made from petroleum.

There is a valid reason to go to Mars. The Earth is reaching its limit for human population. Mars is the most habitable place, basically the new Americas. Venus is just as habitable, its just that scientists are a bunch of pussyfooting wimps who are to afraid to get dirty and conquer the planet. They'd rather do all this useless scientific research like search for life in little clumps of dirt when they ought to launch missiles onto the planet filled with algae and bacteria.

Heres how id make venus habitable. I'd launch nuclear missiles on one side of the planet where we know there are huge mountains and i'd obliterate those mountains into dust. The dust would obscure the planets atmosphere so much that within 8 months there would be a nuclear winter. 2 years later the dust would die down,  in the best climate places we could launch a tirade of missiles filled with bacteria. Within 10 years the bacteria will totally control the climate and at thta point we can send flaura and fauna there. Probably insects and plants. After i'm guessing 14 years the planet will totally be habitable by humans.

more after class!
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2008, 04:59:19 PM »
The atmosphere of Venus is already covered with thick clouds, nuclear winter wouldn't change anything, and the planet is hot as hell. Claiming 14 years as the length of time it would take to terraform Venus is insane and if you told it to a scientist he'd laugh so loud at you that you'd need earplugs to avoid permanent hearing loss.

J.P. Corbran

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2008, 06:36:08 PM »
I'm all for colonizing Mars, but they will never get around to that. Liek PErm said they're too busy looking for life.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2008, 07:08:03 PM »
An actual colony as opposed to a research base would most likely not be done by NASA, it would have to be privately funded. You'd need someone with many billions of dollars that would be interested in it enough to spend it on it. They'd have to build a ship that was big enough to hold enough people for it to be a functioning colony and be comfortable enough for them that they wouldn't kill each other in the months it takes to get from Earth to Mars. They would also have to get all the supplies they need there as well. It's going to be a long time before we see an extra-terrestrial colony, and the moon will almost certainly come first, but I know that Utopia Planitia will be a reality someday.

J.P. Corbran

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2008, 07:10:49 PM »
I would love for it to come true, but I think the world will end long before we get their.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2008, 05:00:05 PM »
I'm all for colonizing Mars, but they will never get around to that. Liek PErm said they're too busy looking for life.

Well to be fair to NASA, they're not wasting time looking for life on Mars. There're atleast two valid reasons why they're doing this:

1. Have to make sure there's no space monsters there to eat them
2. If there are, they must bide time before we get out generic space marine's ready
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2008, 06:49:26 PM »
Maybe NASA and the Administrations around it shouldn't be such huge dicks about private space exploration.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2008, 01:48:15 AM »
venus is covered with thick clouds of gaseous sulfuric acid, and is filled with greenhouse gasses. my nuclear detonation idea would fill the atmosphere with (solid)particulates of dirt which are largely iron and carbon these would block the absorbtion of light into the atmosphere and cause the gaseous elements to condense into liquids, and the liquid elements to condense into solids. The effect would be dramatic, th plane wouldat firt heat up as if some huge asteroid had it it. This alo causes two effects, first the particulates would cool it down. Second the the Mpemba effect would take place. That is to say that the higher energy effect of the heating would dissipate at an accelerated rate due to the tranfer of energy from higher energy elements to lower energy elements.

This would cause the planet to iniially be very hot, but cool down expoentially. The planet would then have a cooler climate. Specific bacteria could be released in certain order in order to create controlled climate change and also to convert certain harmful compounds int more organic friendly compounds through fermentation

We are experiencing a greehouse effect,  but a meteor could strike destroying most life on our planet, however this would cause a reverse in greenhouse effect thanks to the dust.

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post