Author Topic: Wii don't need a hard drive.  (Read 25710 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: Wii don't need a hard drive.
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2008, 04:50:23 PM »
When the Wii first came out, 2GB Kingston SD cards were $20, at Newegg.

Yep, and I paid $19.99 for a 2GB SanDisk SD card at Best Buy in November 2006, solely for use in my Wii.

And I bet that SanDisk card wasn't in the same Best Buy section as the "other" Wii-endorsed SD cards =]
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2008, 08:39:13 PM »
Even if the Wii can only handle 2gb cards, wouldn't that be enough for most people? Heck, the 512mb of internal space is probably enough for 75% of Wii owners out there, and a 2gb SD card would add 4 times as much space as the Wii already has. That would be enough for a LOT of VC games and saves, but even with that there'd still be some hardcore Wii owners who would need more, but if that's the case they can still swap cards about.

The Wii doesn't need as much space as the 360 or PS3 does with their HD content and so forth. The competition might need 200gb of storage space, but would that much space ever really be used by the Wii?
is your sanity...

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2008, 01:13:13 AM »
The Wii doesn't need as much space as the 360 or PS3 does with their HD content and so forth. The competition might need 200gb of storage space, but would that much space ever really be used by the Wii?

The Wii does not need storage space on the order of 20 gigs like the Xbox 360.  It does need more than the 512MB (which is more like 300MB after system data and stuff you can't delete) than what it has, though.  Even a gig would have been way more than enough for a lot of people.  You wouldn't have had so many complaints about the storage issue if so many people are finding themselves running out of space every time a big game comes around to download.

I'll bet you anything that Wii models a year or so from now will ship with more than 512MB of storage space.
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2008, 01:29:05 AM »

The Wii does not need storage space on the order of 20 gigs like the Xbox 360.  It does need more than the 512MB (which is more like 300MB after system data and stuff you can't delete) than what it has, though.  Even a gig would have been way more than enough for a lot of people.  You wouldn't have had so many complaints about the storage issue if so many people are finding themselves running out of space every time a big game comes around to download.

I'll bet you anything that Wii models a year or so from now will ship with more than 512MB of storage space.

That won't help people who already have one with 512 MB that's completely filled.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2008, 03:10:31 AM »
If they were to patch things up so that the Wii Menu (and subsequent games) can save/load from the memory card or hard drive, would it be possible to patch up existing games to do this?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2008, 03:35:13 AM »
I imagine so, they would just need to map it so that the internal flash and the SD card appears as one drive (think RAID configuration) Whether this can be down without slowing things down is another story.

Offline vherub

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2008, 11:35:38 AM »
If you don't buy vc titles, or wiiware titles, the internal memory is enough.
But why would Nintendo have a barrier to entry to enjoy these games or limit future titles?
Let's say there is a push to release sega cd or sega saturn titles on the vc or wiiware- that would be fantastic, but severely difficult due to current memory issues.
Also, Nintendo is punishing those gamers who buy up multiple vc titles the most. And you would have to think that if people are less likely to buy wiiware titles because of storage issues, developers are less likely to support the service.
Again, these are scenarios that hurt gamers.
Let a usb harddrive be easily recognizable by the wii menu and the benefits drastically outweigh any worries over the negs.

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2008, 06:48:28 AM »
I don't intend to buy any VC game because I already own all the older games I love.
I might be interested in WiiWare titles though but Nintendo should really allow saving those up on an USB HDD or on SD cards.
Otherwise, I don't think I'll ever buy a WiiWare title.
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2008, 10:34:37 PM »
Wouldn't it be possible for Nintendo to create memory cards with gigs of space on them?

I'm sure this could possilbely settle the harddrive issue and large memory cards seem just way more "nintendo-y" (for a lack of a better wording). 

large memory cards could work because wii DLC would probably be smaller than PS3 or 360's right?(I have no idea how much larger (if that) 360/PS3 DLC is)
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2008, 10:45:07 PM »
Wouldn't it be possible for Nintendo to create memory cards with gigs of space on them?

I'm sure this could possilbely settle the harddrive issue and large memory cards seem just way more "nintendo-y" (for a lack of a better wording). 

large memory cards could work because wii DLC would probably be smaller than PS3 or 360's right?(I have no idea how much larger (if that) 360/PS3 DLC is)

Memory cards like that already exist, and the Wii already has a slot for them, Nintendo just won't allow them to be used in that way.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2008, 10:49:08 PM »

Memory cards like that already exist, and the Wii already has a slot for them, Nintendo just won't allow them to be used in that way.

I'm well aware of SD cards, but I'm speaking on cards that are specifically made for the wii.
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2008, 11:02:47 PM »

I'm well aware of SD cards, but I'm speaking on cards that are specifically made for the wii.

If they were going to do that they'd have to get people to buy the memory card reader in addition to the cards. If they don't want to enable SD card use for these things then the solution would have to be a hard drive (or some other kind of standalone mass storage device).

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2008, 11:17:25 PM »

How would that be possible? The Wii has a slot for SD cards and it can also use Gamecube memory cards. There are no card slots for anything else...

As insanolord said, they'd have to distribute a new memory card reading peripheral in order to do that, and it's just a lot more of a hassle for not much of a payoff. What they should do instead is just allow SD cards to be able to expand the total memory available for the Wii without any restrictions. That's all they have to do. They don't need to create a new type of card to do this.
is your sanity...

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2008, 12:50:13 AM »
Nintendo hates progress.

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2008, 09:14:09 AM »
When the Wii first came out, 2GB Kingston SD cards were $20, at Newegg.

Yep, and I paid $19.99 for a 2GB SanDisk SD card at Best Buy in November 2006, solely for use in my Wii.

And I bet that SanDisk card wasn't in the same Best Buy section as the "other" Wii-endorsed SD cards =]

You are correct. It was with the digital cameras. No way in hell I'd pay $50 for a "Wii White" SD card. LOL
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2008, 12:25:53 PM »
Well guys, I think with today's revelation that Guitar Hero: World Tour (GH4) for the Wii will include DLC this time around, I have a feeling that Neversoft is privy to an a yet-to-be announced expanded storage device. Official announcement at E3?
PEACE--->Rhoq

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2008, 01:22:56 PM »
nintendo will release a hard drive (as big as the wii) that comes with KID/MAN ICARUS Wii pre-installed!

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2008, 04:18:38 PM »
Well even if they allow USB Hard Drives, those still cost money.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2008, 04:27:18 PM »
so does Doritos

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2008, 04:32:45 PM »
For those nixing the idea of a Nintendo-only memory card for the Wii because of the need for a card reader.....
....why not just use the GameCube memory card ports?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2008, 05:06:46 PM »
I need those ports for my GameCube memory cards, the ones for the games I almost never play anymore. Also, didn't you say that disc thing said there was a limit to how big GC memory cards could be?

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2008, 06:19:03 PM »
For those nixing the idea of a Nintendo-only memory card for the Wii because of the need for a card reader.....
....why not just use the GameCube memory card ports?

I don't think that would work. GC memory cards are probably slow to read/write and don't offer anywhere near the level of space that a hard drive would offer. They might as well just use the SD card slot without any restrictions to it.
is your sanity...

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2008, 06:22:27 PM »
The SD card slot is intolerably slow.  It takes like 5 seconds to delete a 1-block save file after clicking "yes".

Wii storage is doomed.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2008, 07:13:36 PM »
The SD card slot is intolerably slow.  It takes like 5 seconds to delete a 1-block save file after clicking "yes".

Wii storage is doomed.

As I've said before, possibly in this very thread, when you load an mp3 to listen to in Excite Truck you pick one from the list and it starts playing almost immediately, I don't think the problem with the speed of the SD card reader is the hardware itself.

J.P. Corbran

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2008, 08:20:37 PM »
Unless the SD card reader hardware is terrible, it shouldn't be the reader itself.  Readers are incredibly small and cheap now, I would suspect the wii's is no different.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.