Author Topic: The Conduit  (Read 495959 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
Re: The Conduit
« Reply #2775 on: March 14, 2010, 02:00:57 PM »
I just meant play as normal with the bounding box, but then at the push of, lets say the C button, the Screen would lock to the cursor and they would move as one allowing me to move the camera quickly in any direction as long as I hold the camera lock button. When I let go of the lock button "C" then the camera would stay where I left it until I moved out of the bounding box to move it again.

This would have no effect on character movement whatsoever as that would still be controlled independently by the analog stick.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: March 14, 2010, 02:30:01 PM »
The only thing Conduit has over it is WiiSpeak Support but the online trumps it 1000 fold. Lobbyies and the ability to invite friends to matches and lots more settings and the whole rankings/exp feature makes it much more engaging. Plus there aren't rampant hacking issues destroying the fun in games.
I'm afraid I still can't agree with you, mate. Features don't make a game enjoyable. The Conduit has better gameplay and better weapons, plus it has 12-player online games instead of ten. I still don't see how the graphics are better. Did they realize there are more colours than gray, brown, and green available? Plus the graininess makes my eyes water after a while. The Conduit is more vibrant and crisp. You're right about hackers though, the only hackers I've seen in Modern Warfare are on the leaderboards.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2777 on: March 14, 2010, 05:12:39 PM »
I just meant play as normal with the bounding box, but then at the push of, lets say the C button, the Screen would lock to the cursor and they would move as one allowing me to move the camera quickly in any direction as long as I hold the camera lock button. When I let go of the lock button "C" then the camera would stay where I left it until I moved out of the bounding box to move it again.

This would have no effect on character movement whatsoever as that would still be controlled independently by the analog stick.

Ok, so you're saying once you press C, the bounding box "disappears" and any deviation your Wii Remote makes from the IR "origin" creates immediate turning?

I hope "lock-on" doesn't imply locking the cursor to the center of the screen.  That basically recreates classic "analog stick" control (aiming/looking via camera drag), creating a scenario where you use the advantage of the Remote (free-floating snap-aiming inside the bounding box, camera drag outside the box) then suddenly take it away (100% camera drag).

So far, no Wii FPS offers that sort of switcheroo.  So please try out my scheme first, since we're spending all this time on make-believe.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: March 14, 2010, 05:16:01 PM »
1. Theres other FPS's on wii?

Modern Warfare Reflex is a superior FPS for me. The only thing Conduit has over it is WiiSpeak Support but the online trumps it 1000 fold. Lobbyies and the ability to invite friends to matches and lots more settings and the whole rankings/exp feature makes it much more engaging. Plus there aren't rampant hacking issues destroying the fun in games.

Plus the whole game looks nicer in both online and single player and the SP is much more engaging.

Adding WiiSpeak and local multi to Modern Warfare would be the only way I could see it improving.

... really? I've posted in the MW thread and shown interest in the game...
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: March 14, 2010, 05:30:02 PM »
I know. I'm more stating it for others to see who might be on the fence.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: March 14, 2010, 05:37:58 PM »
Who are these "others" you speak of :P
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: March 14, 2010, 05:44:30 PM »

Ok, so you're saying once you press C, the bounding box "disappears" and any deviation your Wii Remote makes from the IR "origin" creates immediate turning?

I hope "lock-on" doesn't imply locking the cursor to the center of the screen.  That basically recreates classic "analog stick" control (aiming/looking via camera drag), creating a scenario where you use the advantage of the Remote (free-floating snap-aiming inside the bounding box, camera drag outside the box) then suddenly take it away (100% camera drag).

So far, no Wii FPS offers that sort of switcheroo.  So please try out my scheme first, since we're spending all this time on make-believe.
Oh, I tried yours last time I played (sorta, not sure what your custom buttons were set to), but I just wanted to know if that was an option because the screen drag and free float is just a little disorienting at first. I'm sure i'll get used to it after more play time, but a "camera lock" button would make the transition a little smoother.

p.s. I'm not a FPS veteran and it's not my preferred genre to play.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: March 15, 2010, 04:22:23 AM »
Who are these "others" you speak of :P:

'Them'.

There be bots in them thar waters...and Lurkers. Never know how many of them are out and about at a given moment.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: March 16, 2010, 02:50:46 AM »
Do you think there are really people out there who just read the boards?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2784 on: March 16, 2010, 04:48:03 AM »
Past experience tells me those people are not reliable.  They've shown up for Brawl, where I've crushed them, then permanently disappeared.

The Casual Bubble has clearly exterminated most of the regular participants.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: March 17, 2010, 12:19:47 AM »
Look like a Conduit Sequel is on the way

The Conduit 2 is coming soon
When Gamereactor paid a visit to the High Voltage Software at this year's GDC we noticed a poster with in the same art style as The Conduit sporting an enormous 2 in the middle of it.

When asked about it, High Voltage chief creative officer, Eric Nofsinger, replied:

"We're very excited about it, the first one was great, but this is something much better."

When asked if it would be formally announced at E3, Nofsinger hinted that the announcement would be made sooner and that perhaps we would get to do more than just see it at E3. A playable The Conduit 2 in Los Angeles this June sounds like a distinct possibility.

Nofsinger did not divulge any details on the sequel to the Wii exclusive shooter that was published by Sega last summer.

Are we sure it's too late to ask more questions? actually, didn't I ask a question regarding a sequel to The Conduit.....?

edit: Actually I did
Question to ask HVS:
The Conduit 2..... will it happen? how many copies has the original sold up to this point?
And general ideas on what they would do for a sequel?

and....
In the HVS interview thread:
Oh, and does the second part of the interview use any forum inspired/provided questions?
Yes, I think I asked most of your questions.
I curious what their answer was and if that is the reason why NWR is holding back the second part of the interview?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 12:24:50 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: March 17, 2010, 06:14:25 AM »
Maybe this is why they changed Grinder to a different game? They decided making 2 FPS games on Wii so close together would be hard to sell even with a number of differences?

I mentioned to my 360 friend how Grinder went multiplatform and was now what it was and he actually sounded quite interested in it. I was kinda surprised. But I guess 360 is so flooded with FPS' that something else if exciting to anyone.
My Game Collection

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: March 17, 2010, 11:54:25 PM »
This has me excited.  While the conduit was a fun romp for a little while, something was missing that made me want to play it more. 

Oh, and hopefully you guys can try to do something a little bit more about hackers this time.
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: March 18, 2010, 09:08:12 PM »
All I want to see is the ability to have both friends and randoms in online matches. I actually don't care so much about local multiplayer as I don't really know anyone who would play a shooter with me (at least not one on Wii...).

The Conduit was good for a start, so if they build upon its potential then they may be able to create something great.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: March 19, 2010, 02:05:04 PM »

For what it's worth, I don't own The Conduit or MW Reflex, but I read everything you guys post in both threads.  Same goes for games like Animal Crossing, Pokemon, etc.  I value Stratos' opinion.  And if I ever did see MW Reflex for cheap I'll probably pick it up for the single player alone.  I've avoided The Conduit even then it's been available for $15.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2790 on: March 19, 2010, 02:14:09 PM »
Actually there are lots of people that just read(and participate in) the forums that don't actually play games regularly. I actually go patches of time with out actually turning on my Wii and still post here on the regular. I buy more games that I ever have time to play and instead of playing when I do have free time, I usually watch movies or something (Netflix movie rotation).

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: March 19, 2010, 03:03:41 PM »
Yeah, free time is a killer for me. I will probably get Conduit 2 when it's release, but I don't know how much time I will spend with it.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2792 on: March 19, 2010, 05:39:06 PM »
Actually there are lots of people that just read(and participate in) the forums that don't actually play games regularly. I actually go patches of time with out actually turning on my Wii and still post here on the regular. I buy more games that I ever have time to play and instead of playing when I do have free time, I usually watch movies or something (Netflix movie rotation).

That's part of the reason why I've setup Wi-Fi s.  If I anticipate a night for Wiinis Playtime, I sometimes do want to invite others. (and voila!  an "old" game gets to maintain some relevance)

I don't want a shooter with a singles-campaign that insults me (The SAS raid on a ship in a certain military drama was an immediate No-No).  Conduit is SO archaic in design that I don't take its "details" seriously.  What I do get out of it is quality feedback from controls that surpass my performance in Metroid Prime 3.  Anyone dismissive of the "default" controls" and whining about doing "extra work" to tailor the controls to is being disrespectful to "fan advice" that's out there (like giving pointers on aiming something like a handgun, modifying a golf stance, or Wii Archery aiming, or tweaking the button layout in Brawl; there's a reasonable layer of personal options the user should address and resolve).

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: March 19, 2010, 06:58:31 PM »
*waves to the lurkers*

For what it's worth, I don't own The Conduit or MW Reflex, but I read everything you guys post in both threads.  Same goes for games like Animal Crossing, Pokemon, etc.  I value Stratos' opinion.  And if I ever did see MW Reflex for cheap I'll probably pick it up for the single player alone.  I've avoided The Conduit even then it's been available for $15.
Why do you read every thread? Is it to make sure everyone is obeying the rules? Have you not bought The Conduit because of certain negative reviews/opinions? Or are you just not very into shooters? Do you value Stratos's opinion only because he stated Modern Warfare is better?

I actually go patches of time with out actually turning on my Wii and still post here on the regular. I buy more games that I ever have time to play and instead of playing when I do have free time, I usually watch movies or something (Netflix movie rotation).
You're on here a lot. Do you have a desk job or something?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: March 19, 2010, 07:04:02 PM »
I work from home. I do home loans. surf the net while on the phone.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: March 19, 2010, 07:10:34 PM »
I want that job. Too bad I don't know anything about finances...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: March 19, 2010, 07:48:19 PM »
Manual underwriting of mortgages? Big ups.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: March 19, 2010, 08:23:55 PM »
*waves to the lurkers*

The Princess is watching...always watching. ;)
My Game Collection

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: March 22, 2010, 12:30:28 AM »
Jonny dropped a not so subtle confirmation of a sequel in the latest podcast.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: March 22, 2010, 12:00:13 PM »
I'd play a sequel. But there are improvements I'd like to see.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.