Author Topic: The Conduit  (Read 495959 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: The Conduit
« Reply #2500 on: August 03, 2009, 07:52:43 PM »
You can't quit a match while it's in-game can you? OR do you have to wait to the end?

Also... one of the chargeable guns (one of the drudge ones) sounds EXACTLY like Samus' Power Beam....
Waiting for the match to end for what i know and you mean the Strike Rifle or the Pistol?

Yeah its one of those ones. It's literally identical.

Yeah, they both probably pulled the sound from the same sound library. I remember that the noise of reloading your gun in Goldeneye is recycled all the time still to this day.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BwrJim!

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: August 03, 2009, 10:30:13 PM »
lets not forget sabrewulfs firebat sound!

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: August 05, 2009, 08:44:12 PM »
i reviewed the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd7opTNMW_0

Final Score: 7/10

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2503 on: August 05, 2009, 10:50:16 PM »
Is that supposed to be a good (6+1) or a bad (6+1)?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BwrJim!

• View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: August 06, 2009, 12:22:02 AM »
it kinda felt like the bad one..

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2505 on: August 11, 2009, 01:40:28 PM »
Shiiitt I had the most rediculous run on this game yesterday. I was doing so good. I played like 3 games.

1st game, walk around a corner, BAM 5 dudes standing on one spot. Rocket Launcher. Instant 5-kill killing spree.  I was doing insanely well. 16 kills to 5 deaths.  The next person had 8 kills.

2nd game, I don't remember anything awesome.

3rd game, was crazy as ****. I went on 3 - 4 5 man killing sprees. TWO 10 man killing sprees! It was CRAZY. I had 45 kills to 20 deaths, the next person behind me had 20 kills and 16 deaths. Our team was leading 93 to 60. Fucking crazy.

It was awesome.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: August 12, 2009, 09:58:09 AM »
Dammit i need to fix whatever the hell is preventing me from being matched with other players. I can connect to the servers fine, its just matchmaking that gives me problems. Something to do with the port forwarding on my router according to support.nintendo.com
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2507 on: August 12, 2009, 01:17:16 PM »
You never followed my port-forwarding advice like you were supposed to 8 years ago.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: August 12, 2009, 02:31:52 PM »
You never followed my port-forwarding advice like you were supposed to 8 years ago.

Hahaha... i remember that. Thing is, i stopped using the LAN adapter because I was able to steal a neighbors wifi signal which, although weak at times, worked great at getting me online to play on-line pretty often.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: August 12, 2009, 02:37:32 PM »
I'm on fios now, I should really take advantage of such things.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2510 on: August 12, 2009, 02:51:09 PM »

Hahaha... i remember that. Thing is, i stopped using the LAN adapter because I was able to steal a neighbors wifi signal which, although weak at times, worked great at getting me online to play on-line pretty often.

So you're just lazy with broken internet?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: August 12, 2009, 04:31:51 PM »
The Zero Punctuation review is up. While I think his "move the cursor too far" complaint is nonsense I do think that the "can't look up/down" complaint, while technically wrong, has merit: Who'd expect the maximum angle you can look up/down to be hidden behind the "vertical Wiimote sensitivity" option and why does it default to 50?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
Good News Hardcore Gamers ~Love Sega
« Reply #2512 on: August 12, 2009, 09:21:55 PM »
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/08/mike-hayes-interview/

Quote from: Sega interview with Game|Life
Wired.com: MadWorld was a widely praised title, but sales were disappointing. Why do you think that is? Do you think that “core” games just don’t sell on the Wii?

Mike Hayes: It’s difficult because it was a critically acclaimed title; it was extreme but good. The thing that we’re saying is, Sega would be extremely arrogant to have a title that didn’t do as well as we thought on a platform and then say, “Those kind of games don’t sell on that platform.” I think if you take our slew of more mature games — House of the Dead Overkill did really well in Europe, and for some reason even though it’s a big (intellectual property) it did less well in North America. So that’s kind of like a win and a miss that’s kind of come out neutral.

MadWorld sales were very disappointing, but was that to do with the platform? Was it that people didn’t like the art style? Or that people didn’t like the way the game played through? It could be many things, which we’re obviously researching.

Wired.com: What about The Conduit?

Hayes: We actually regard The Conduit as a success. We shipped 300,000 units, sold through half of those and now it’s at the point where it’s selling consistently at a time when Wii sales are generally depressed in the marketplace. So what does that tell you? We still kind of don’t know.

What we can say is that we’ll still do mature games for the Wii market because with an install base of some 34 million in Europe and America (maybe half of whom don’t own Xbox 360s and PS3s)…. So even if you took half of those where they’re not into those (core) games, you’ve still got 8 million consumers to go for. So I think the sheer scale of the Wii allows a shooter, or a mature game, to be a niche but a successful niche. And because the development costs can be less on Wii, that means you can sell less to be successful…. We can take more risks on the Wii.

Wired.com: So Sega will continue to have a commitment to making hard-core games on the Wii, despite the sales of MadWorld.

Hayes: Absolutely. You’ll see more games in that genre coming from us.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: August 13, 2009, 01:28:46 AM »
The Zero Punctuation review is up. While I think his "move the cursor too far" complaint is nonsense I do think that the "can't look up/down" complaint, while technically wrong, has merit: Who'd expect the maximum angle you can look up/down to be hidden behind the "vertical Wiimote sensitivity" option and why does it default to 50?

He also seems to think the Motion+ would have fixed any of those problems, which were ALL IR-related. I don't know what he's playing at.

Sounds like he needs to up the turn speed, turn on continuous turning, make his bounding box smaller, and stop being so butthurt.

And I don't understand his graphics complaints at all. Twilight Princess looks better than The Conduit? lol WHAT?
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: August 13, 2009, 01:56:08 AM »

He also seems to think the Motion+ would have fixed any of those problems, which were ALL IR-related. I don't know what he's playing at.

Sounds like he needs to up the turn speed, turn on continuous turning, make his bounding box smaller, and stop being so butthurt.

And I don't understand his graphics complaints at all. Twilight Princess looks better than The Conduit? lol WHAT?

I have factual problems with Yahtzee's review as well, but his opinions generally match up with my own.  The game does look like a half-assed PS2 game, mostly because all the graphical attention seems to have been put on the weapons and character models, leaving the environments looking pretty poor (it also doesn't help that the environments are pretty poor as well).  Twilight Princess does look better than The Conduit, and it's not even a close race.  It all comes down to artistic design, which TP has and Conduit does not.  His Motion + comments were just inane, though.  It's an FPS, and since Mr. Ford isn't swinging around a sword there's no reason Motion + would have made a damn bit of difference.  His complaints about the Wiimote waggling for attacks were just silly as well, since you can map the controls as you'd like.  I could understand if he complained that he couldn't find a control setting that worked right with him, as I think the general design of the Wiimote makes assigning a working arrangement a little difficult, but complaining about the default controls as if that's all there was is more than a little disingenuous.  I'm also surprised he didn't seem to mention online play at all.  But that's Yahtzee for you.  He hated Valkyria Chronicles as well, pretty much "just because" (and he hates RPGs).  Hell, it's hard to find a game he actually likes.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2515 on: August 13, 2009, 02:01:11 AM »
Reviewing is his "game."

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: August 13, 2009, 04:33:55 AM »

I think that was about the aiming too far bit. That may actually be possible to fix with WMP.

IMO the default controls were awful and requiring players to tune them to get anything decent is really bad. I doubt most people know what even half those terms in the option menu mean. I can get a Hudson FPS to control well with just one changed option in the menu (view speed) but I spent like half an hour changing the controls in The Conduit and still haven't found a sensitivity for the waggle that makes those motions comfortable to trigger and finding the option that allowed me to aim up and down was more luck than knowing what I was doing. I'd suspect that the average player would leave all that complicated stuff alone and just jump right into the game.

I'm also surprised he didn't seem to mention online play at all.

He never does, he just doesn't play online and only gets a local MP match going when it's absolutely necessary. He slammed Halo 3 for its singleplayer too and never bothered to play online (complained that 100$ for a game that's half arse is way too much). That's one of the few things he's consistent about.

He hated Valkyria Chronicles as well, pretty much "just because" (and he hates RPGs).  Hell, it's hard to find a game he actually likes.

I don't think he really hated VC that much but he was annoyed by specific things like the getting shot at while taking your turn, the overcomplicated menus and of course the Japanese storytelling. He did say it may have sold him on turn based strategy after all.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: August 13, 2009, 04:54:53 AM »
I don't think he really hated VC that much but he was annoyed by specific things like the getting shot at while taking your turn, the overcomplicated menus and of course the Japanese storytelling. He did say it may have sold him on turn based strategy after all.

Yeah, I guess but when I can't remember a single positive thing he had to say about that entire game it's hard to see it as anything better than sheer dislike for the game.  I know it's his shtick (and it was expected), but it just seemed especially strong in that review (I guess because it's a Japanese RPG).  Incidentally, that complaint about the enemies being able to shoot your troops while they're moving around was particularly inane in that review considering your troops can do that as well (and, in fact, it's an essential part of your defensive strategy when positiioning troops at the end of their turns).  Hell, it's one of many VC elements I wish Nintendo would just outright steal to put into Fire Emblem.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BwrJim!

• View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: August 13, 2009, 12:54:21 PM »
Maybe just maybe, if Nintendo didnt go the (E for everyone route) everyone route with thier games and support the efforts of 3rd parties like they used to, then maybe, just maybe it wouldnt be all up to SEGA to rebuild the market from scratch.

You want to know why Madworld, with AAA efforts all around hasn't sold well?  Call 18002553700 or better yet, head on over to the developer site www.warioworld.com and use the publisher question and comment section inside the site to ask Nintendo themselves.

In all reality, Nintendo has been so sustained off of the blue ocean strategy (and its a great one by the way, keep it going!) that they neglected the efforts they once put into helping the third parties.   Or maybe since they dont charge a pretty penny for media they control (cough cartriges) and they cant make as much off the 3rd party publishers, perhaps the attention to the greenback has blinded them?    Either way Sega, CHARGE FORWARDaand continue, for wone day it will pay off, you will get your cred back and you will win... muhahahahahahahah

whoops, lost concentration...   ;D

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: August 13, 2009, 01:20:29 PM »
You want to know why Madworld, with AAA efforts all around hasn't sold well?

Because it's a niche game that few people are willing to buy just like the previous brawler from the same developer, God Hand?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2520 on: August 13, 2009, 01:48:06 PM »
Why would Nintendo "go back" to helping third parties that didn't yield much of a return (and pretty much ditched Nintendo later) in the first place?

Sink or swim, bitches.

Offline BwrJim!

• View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: August 13, 2009, 02:42:47 PM »
To help foster the audience they are trying to expand.  Inside that Blue Ocean Stat.  there are going to be people who start to crave more unique titles on thier wii.  Going up and down all the time can get boring, So the same old games wont excite them anymore.  With the darker mistress of more adult theme hiding in the corners it will take major effort on Nintendo's part to approach and offer thier "consumers" something to swallow thats beyond the normal sweet tasting gameplay.

8)

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2522 on: August 13, 2009, 03:14:20 PM »
Courting the old relics won't work cuz they don't care about the expanded audience.  NEW blood must be infused, or the old must be *reborn* like EA.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2523 on: August 13, 2009, 04:01:20 PM »
I was thinking about Conduit's control layout.  There aren't enough functions.  There's like 3 buttons that are useless to me, mainly because those functions I set aside are useless.

I'd appreciate some sideways dodging, both standing and crouching, a dive or roll, i don't care.  BWii had a simple way of doing it by strafe+twist of the Nunchuk, but I rarely use it in that game.

A context button to bring up an-screen quick-select menu for tertiary functions like Metroid Prime 3 does would be nice, I just have no clue what else I'd throw in there.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: August 13, 2009, 06:21:51 PM »
I'd appreciate some sideways dodging, both standing and crouching, a dive or roll, i don't care.

In an FPS? That's stupid, and completely unnecessary.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown