Author Topic: The Conduit  (Read 495941 times)

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Conduit
« Reply #475 on: September 03, 2008, 12:09:52 AM »
Spinzilla, don't take that as me being rude. I asked about that personally at PAX.

Oh, i didn't. I was just being goofy.  Sorry if I sounded offended, I wasn't.  No problem. :]
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: September 03, 2008, 12:44:28 AM »
If I recall correctly, currently the grenade is thrown using a throwing motion and it goes wherever your aiming reticule is pointing at.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: September 03, 2008, 01:12:12 AM »
If I recall correctly, currently the grenade is thrown using a throwing motion and it goes wherever your aiming reticule is pointing at.

Correct, you throw with the nunchuck while you hold I think C.  It's annoying cause it means your gotta hold your reticule at the same spot, which it usually doesn't stay because of the intense battle or your to excited with the nunchuck. I mean you really wanna throw the nunchuck up and over you, so it kinda throws you off. I told the developers to follow the Heroes 2 thing at have the spot lock based off of the reticle.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: September 03, 2008, 01:23:52 AM »
Pffffff, in a real fight you wouldn't have that luxury!  :tpg:
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: September 03, 2008, 01:39:46 AM »
Pffffff, in a real fight you wouldn't have that luxury!  :tpg:

But this is video games, its about whether I enjoy it or not.  I'm sure in a real fight I couldn't sit on my ass either. I'm not saying this is how it has to be, I shouldn't have to say this part.  but it's a feature that regularly makes me enjoy video games more.

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: September 03, 2008, 01:43:05 AM »
Hey, might as well go all-out then!  You should have asked them to throw in live chickens for ammo!  That'd be pretty hilarious!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 03, 2008, 01:57:24 AM »
Hey, might as well go all-out then!  You should have asked them to throw in live chickens for ammo!  That'd be pretty hilarious!

Bill please stop it, you should know that Ubisoft is listening!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #482 on: September 03, 2008, 02:15:11 AM »

Bill please stop it, you should know that Ubisoft is listening!

You both suck, cause you just know that would be in TimeSplitters and TS rules face.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: September 03, 2008, 03:53:10 AM »
If throwing grenades while shooting is too unrealistic for you just give the player a shoulder mounted grenade launcher. Also give him four arms holding a gun each for 4 player single screen coop!

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 03, 2008, 10:18:19 AM »
I'd like to start off by saying, could the nunchuck house the MotionPlus?

But let me digress....If I'm assuming correctly, MotionPlus requires calibration at the beginning of the game in order for it to know where and how you are manipulating the controller in space. It's because of this calibration that it knows where you are pointing even if it's off screen. Now stay with me for this next part. If it knows where your pointing off screen, then it can use that information accordingly in game. That is nutz and let me tell you why.

In a FPS, if they can figure out how to move and look around without the need for the wiimote, the possibilities for the genre EXPLODE. I remember waaaaaay back when I wrote a piece about how the revolution controller would work, describing the FPS genre in detail. One of the things I mentioned was the ability to shoot behind you. Now, that might actually be possible! But before I get into that, let me explain the setup.

NOTE: I'm assuming the nunchuck would need a motionplus upgrade for any of this to work, unless someone more clever than I can figure out an alternative setup.

Imagine the nunchuck controlling your "body" (both your movement and your view), and the wiimote controlling everything else. You would walk by using the analog stick and move your view around by tilting the nunchuck. Looking up would require you to tilt the nunchuck's nose up, similar to a plane. To look to the left or right, you would rotate the nunchuck on its side. The sensitivity could be changed to allow for slower or faster turning, but regardless, very subtle movement of the nunchuck is all that is needed to move the camera. These two control methods would result in circle strafing that would consist of tilting the nunchuck in one direction and holding the analog stick in the opposite direction. As crude and as uncomfortable as that may sound, it frees up the wiimote for possibilities that just weren't achievable before.

We all love the ease of aiming that only the wiimote can provide, but we dislike the fact that our aiming controls the camera in tandem. The idea of being able to shoot anywhere on the screen like a light gun intrigues us, but having a bounding box deliberately restricts us. With some clever programming and game and level designs, one could make an engaging experience regardless of the restrictions (MP3); but the fact still stands, at it's best, the wiimote acts more like a trackball than a pointing device. With this setup I am describing, the wiimote will act more like wand than a pointing device. The difference is huge. The reason being that the wiimote is finally detached from your view.

Now, imagine walking around in the game world with your nunchuck, looking at different objects high and low, left and right. You only have one item; a gun. With your wiimote controlling your gun 1:1, you have the ability to twist and turn, tilt and point, and rotate your gun however you please. And since your gun is independent of your view, you can manipulate and shoot the gun off screen. That means, I could literally shoot behind me or even shoot myself. But let me back track. When your pointing the wiimote at the screen, you will see your hand and your gun. You will have the ability to see exactly where you aiming, and more importantly, you have the ability to shoot anywhere on the screen. I hope I explained this well enough because I'd like to describe exactly why this is so monumental.

There are many reasons why this would change the FPS forever. For one, you could control anything 1:1 without disrupting your view. You could use your items in a 3D space without being restricted by your "window" or view. That means you could literally shoot blindly around corners, above crates and even behind you.

Interestingly enough, you could attach an item to your nunchuck, such as a flashlight or another gun. Since you are controlling the view anyway, it would work the exact same way it always has; with your aim attached to the center of the screen. So exploring that decrepit moonlit farm with your flashlight in one hand (nunchuck) and your gun in the other (wiimote) would be all the more engaging. The possibilities are seemingly endless, especially when you start thinking about other genres.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 10:22:23 AM by KashogiStogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: September 04, 2008, 07:59:23 AM »
I'd assume the nunchuk can track gravity well enough to do that without any MP upgrades. I'm not sure it's all that great an idea though, shooting blindly won't do much as even small deviation from the proper angle can make you miss the target. You'd probably only hit a wall with that. Added difficulty would be that the gun would no longer necessarily point straight at the screen, it'd be hard to guess where the bullets will go. There's a reason real life weapons have sights that you're supposed to look down and there's a reason people in real life aim properly before shooting. Maybe if the gun had autoaim when aiming off-view or it was a third person shooter where enemies sneak up behind you...

What would work better than manipulating a gun like that would be other tools in e.g. a Zelda game, you'd directly perform actions with them (e.g. holding a deku stick and jamming it into the gears of a machine) instead of walking up to a point of interest and hitting "use".

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 04, 2008, 08:16:12 AM »
I see what your saying, and yes, it would perfect for Zelda (especially because Zelda's camera system is almost flawless). But the point I was trying to make was that you COULD manipulate the gun like that, even if you wouldn't want to most of the time.

Really, the biggest advancement is the ability to shoot anywhere on screen without disturbing your view. Even if you are not pointing exactly straight, if your gun is pointed at the screen, you will see your aiming circle, and thus can accurately shoot anywhere. No Wii game yet has separated the camera and the gun other than RE4 but it would control way better than that game, since you can still run/duck/dive/jump.

Can you imagine how deadly you could become if you could literally shoot anywhere on the screen? I'd be like duck hunt, but a FPS.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 08:19:50 AM by KashogiStogi »

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: September 04, 2008, 08:30:25 AM »
Remember you could use two wiimotes instead of a nunchuck.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: September 04, 2008, 10:54:15 AM »
Wouldn't it be simpler to just have a button that, when held down, freezes the camera and allows you to aim anywhere on-screen? Although FarCry on Wii had that and look how that turned out.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 04, 2008, 11:54:06 AM »
You could, but it would make the game feel more rigid.

This is more virtual reality than anything else.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: September 04, 2008, 03:18:17 PM »
on IGN's Podcast " Wii Voice Chat" they have an interview the the people behind Conduit. Pretty neato stuff.

Clicky

They are working on LAN play for about 12 players. They got it to work in office and They just need the Nintendo Ok to allow it to happen. However they are still hesitant on Split screen.  It's the last 30 minutes of the podcast

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 04, 2008, 03:23:08 PM »
Two wiimotes with motion plus, the balance board, Wii Speak, and Johnny Lee's headmotion tracker.

Holodeck v.01 alpha suckas.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: September 04, 2008, 03:34:03 PM »
IGN's Wii podcast info for conduit:

state of the game:
-Game is in Pre-Alpha with a number of months for polish
-Single Player mode is basically done. the whole thing could be played through. balance and lighting being worked on bigtime
-now working on multipayer
-"heavy lifting done, Devil is in the details"

Publisher
-been unusual that they had full funding for the game from start to finish, regardless of publisher.
-announcement in less than a month (summary note: currently, HVS has announced that they will announce their publisher in 2 weeks), currently in the hands of the lawers
-Publisher is worth getting excited over and that it wasn't going to be a "me too" Publisher. larger one, but worth getting excited over.
-criteria for choosing included maintaining connections with the press and starting on a sequel
-they've been very picky about who they pick

feature set in relation to development time
-not going to do anything they didn't think they could in the set time
-highest quality shot for
-contemplating vehicles for sequel
-would like the conduit to be the definative shooter
-alot of positive feedback
-detailed feedback going to make it into the final game

Interface
-EVERYTHING is customizable, down to the way the user interface is set up
-runspeed was tweaked. sprint is being considered.

changes at High Voltage
-pressure is on since The Conduit got out
-Eric is getting ALOT of email
-no sexy alien fanart yet... thank GOD
-handwritten letters sent

LAN Play
-Final approval from Nintendo is shakey, but currently functioning in house with up to 12 players, with 16 on release.

-focusing on bug-free quality experience. need more QA in terms of online features
-standards CTF, DM, and TDM at this point in time, but more is being looked into.
-16 players is the goal. framerate held up pretty tightly in the LAN tests. no sigificant lag.
-30FPS lock in all aspects is the goal

What sets The Conduit aside from the rest
-Control is the main thing. closer to a PC experience
-a truly console specific ACCESSIBLE game
-graphics important, but graphics aren't the point
-fixes the learning curve that dual analog presents
-AI has really taken a step forward

Wii Motion+ and WiiSpeak:
-WM+ and Speak dev kits coming early this month
-Speak likely, but NO PROMISES
-WM+ not as much. going to explore the possibilities
-WiiSpeak seems an obvious fit, going to explor the posibilities when the SDK comes in

Tech and Art:
-continuing to work on the tech and art as things go along
-recently put in depth of field. scope mode
-Dynamic lighting being put in

Splitscreen co-op/multiplayer
-co-op being explored for a sequel
-multiplayer not as feasible
-trying to explore modes for more core gamers

final stuff:
-they really want the approval of core gamers
-devloper blog coming
-they're excited where they're going, keep the interest up!
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: September 04, 2008, 05:25:59 PM »
Bah. If Red Steel could manage split screen, so can the Conduit.

Maybe in the sequel...
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #494 on: September 04, 2008, 05:27:15 PM »
At what acceptable cost?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #495 on: September 04, 2008, 05:49:32 PM »
I'm glad they are going to make a sequel. You never know how good your game is until you release it.

Offline Meteo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: September 04, 2008, 07:29:16 PM »
Is there any way to get ahold of them (i.e. address I could write a letter to, etc.) to let them know I want split screen?

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: September 04, 2008, 08:15:43 PM »
LAN is nice and all, but it doesn't make sense.  Who wants to have a 4 TV, 4 wii set up just to play?

I really don't mid a dip in the graphics for some splitscreen.
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: September 04, 2008, 08:19:46 PM »
I recall LAN play being pretty popular with Halo. Still, it doesn't beat a traditional LAN party with laptops and Quake by any stretch of the imagination.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: September 04, 2008, 09:04:49 PM »
Geez, since when is splitscreen so hot? Were you all doing splitscreen FPS on the cube?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 11:55:11 AM by ShyGuy »