Author Topic: The Conduit  (Read 495954 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: Conduit
« Reply #200 on: June 20, 2008, 01:44:51 AM »
Sega publishing Conduit doesn't help Sega because it doesn't improve Sega's image as a GAME MAKER.

Sega has done a fine job this gen of being a maker of "new mediocre titles masked behind mascots."  The majority of the stuff they've made this cycle doesn't measure up to the Rabbids games.

I love Ghost Squad Wii, but it's a port of a good game that preceded our cycle.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 20, 2008, 01:56:14 AM »
I want a link this Sega Fanboy Forums, I say we do a drive by.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 20, 2008, 12:21:34 PM »
Sega publishing Conduit doesn't help Sega because it doesn't improve Sega's image as a GAME MAKER.

Sega doesn't make games anymore though. Not really anyways. They actually have been transitioning to more of a publisher role for western devs.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #203 on: June 20, 2008, 12:34:14 PM »
Case in point, it's no wonder their image hasn't improved.

The Sega that Sega fans cry out about is just an empty gift box with Sonic wrapping.

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 20, 2008, 12:37:25 PM »
Who cares? If it keeps their franchises alive. And I am sick of all the baseless Sonic bashing. Damn,at least his games all stay within the formula, instead of Mario who gets reinvented every damn game now.

Shyguy, the forums are at sega.com they just changed the home page a couple of weeks ago so it's a lot easier to find stuff now. Forums are at the top right.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #205 on: June 20, 2008, 12:48:55 PM »
Obviously you care.

Sonic stays within the basic [broken] formula, and flops.  Congratulations, I'm not even sure how these franchises are still alive.

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 20, 2008, 01:01:50 PM »
Time is up. I am going to just ignore your fanboysim.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 01:14:50 PM by animecyberrat »

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #207 on: June 20, 2008, 01:23:09 PM »
Sonic in 3D sucks for a number of reasons, here's 2.

1) The focus of the series shifted away from just going fast with light exploration. Now it has a stronger focus on defeating enemies.
2) Being about speed, putting Sonic in the third dimension makes him much harder to control effectively. Worrying about one plane was hard enough in the 2D Sonic games. Not to mention that the controls in general are just finicky.

Mario in 3D works because controlling Mario is more deliberate and thus easier to control. Oh and the camera is infinitely better in 3D Mario games than it is in Sonic games. Sure at times it gets a bit unwieldy, buy Sunshine gave you free control of the camera so it was inconsequential. Mario Galaxy does a stellar job with the camera especially considering Mario's movements around the spherical worlds.

Now don't get me wrong I actually liked the first Sonic Adventure, but the subsequent releases shifted focus too much. The games have been awful since. I think it would be hard to argue that the newer 3D Sonic titles are as good as the GBA/DS titles much less Sonic 1-CD.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 20, 2008, 01:49:36 PM »
Guys, do NOT BASH SEGA for contracting with Western developers.

Like Bioware. BIOWARE. BIOWARE!!!

Be THANKFUL FOR WESTERN DEVELOPERS!!!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #209 on: June 20, 2008, 01:55:06 PM »
Mario Sunshine sucks, so that's not an issue.

Sonic, this franchise we have now, fundamentally sucks, particularly in the console space, because it can't succeed at doing "new" things.  Even if the "core" was solid, the "new" crap that's added typically distracts from it.  And it's difficult to tell if something new was actually "good" since these new qualities/characteristics end up not getting carried over to subsequent iterations (aside from everyone's favorite characters like Amy).

Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Heroes
Shadow the Hedgehog
Sonic Next Generation Quality Best Ever
Sonic and the Secret Meh
Sonic Okami Unleashed and Ignoring the Last Two Games

^ You can see what the "bumps" in this road are.

It's problematic that the franchise has to retreat to handhelds and "return to its roots" to keep the collective morale up.  Why aren't the console-Sonic developers able to restore the faith?

Even in Mario's "lukewarm" outtings, he still manages to raise the bar for himself.

Sonic's personal bar isn't as high, yet he manages to always crash into it.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: June 20, 2008, 02:15:21 PM »
Theoretically high speed movement works better in 3d since you can see much further ahead but Sega botched it. I'm sure it'd be possible to design a Sonic-like game in 3d that would surpass the 2d Sonic games by far (would need less direct platforming and more race-like controls with larger targets to jump at and stuff, wasn't Secret Rings supposedly like that?).

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 20, 2008, 02:31:54 PM »
Two points:

One, Sonic 2D is more about gravity and momentum than just speed.

Two, Why in the name of Peter Molyneux are we discussing Sonic in this awesome FPS thread? YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU COMBINE SONIC AND SHOOTING? SHADOW THE GTA CLONE HEDGEHOG.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 20, 2008, 03:24:21 PM »
Why in the name of Peter Molyneux are we discussing Sonic in this awesome FPS thread?

NWR is back to it's good 'ol ways of thread-derailing... and maybe even thread-bumping!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 20, 2008, 03:58:38 PM »
And (hopefully) making Kairon cry.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 20, 2008, 04:26:24 PM »
It wont mean anything unless he brings back the sig

imagine:

Carmine M. Red
(Cai's-email)
NWR News Editor*

*new for 2008!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #216 on: June 20, 2008, 04:38:23 PM »
Man, Kairon must get some serious spam.
Check out PixlBit!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #217 on: June 20, 2008, 04:47:56 PM »
Posting an email address on a public forum that's easily web-crawled is what leads to spam.

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 20, 2008, 04:58:32 PM »
I agree they aren't as good as the old games, I also don't think the new Mario games are as good as the old games. But I think it is for different reasons than what is stated. I honestly think it is perception and nothing more. Sonic is percieved to be Mario's enemy so Mario fans byd efault hate him and will find a way or reason to bash him. Prove me wrong but nobody has been able to do that. I grew up in a Sega dominant part of the world, so my perceptions are screwed. I don't care if it is the norm or not, all I care about is if I can find the good in the games, why can't everybody else? See the thing of it is despite the l;ack luster reviews and internet bashing the games still sell so therefore enough people find them playable they will continue to sell. Because it is perception. Case in Point.

My nephew who was only 7 years old LOVES all the new Sonic games, but does not care for the old ones as much. He also loves Mario Sunshine quit a bit. There is nothing unplayable or inherently bad about any of the new "Sonic" games, notice I do not lump Shadow in with that and it's not right to, Luigi's Mansion does not get lumped in with the other Mario games so stop bringing it up in a Sonic discussion. It falls under Spin-Off category. Same with the Extreme sports games like Riders, those are the equivalent of Mario Sports. Not the main serious, not relevant to the point.

Back to why I think Sega would be a good publisher, screw the fanboys on either side,

Sega bleeds a lot of money, just like Sony and MS, but one thing they are good at is marketing their games. The give them a pretty decent push whereas most other publishers who develop for the Wii don't. Plus unlike most other publishers, Sega has never said anything bad, publicly about the Wii or Nintendo in recent years. Hell they sing more praises of the Wii than anyone outside of Nintendo and their Wii offerings are better than most who cres if they are DC ports, isn't that better than Babyz Dance Off and Petz is for Kidz garbage that is flooding the Wii?

God you bring up Sega's best games and trash them for not being original? Nintendo's BEST games aside from Wii Fit and Wii Play on the Wii are ALL DIRECT SEQUELS, which you also COMPLAIN ABOUT. So don't talk **** on Sega for trying a little harder than even Nintendo is.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 20, 2008, 08:41:53 PM »
Let's face it the real reason for a crap Sonic game is crap music. The classic ones are an orgasm of colour and sound. The knuckles rap sums up everything else.

I don't see any problem with Nintendo publishing it. Who CARES if some idiot says "lolol another first party game" to his fat friend via Xbox Live Voicechat. It's the best chance the game has, and the best chance I have of obtaining it.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 08:46:06 PM by Mario »

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 20, 2008, 09:37:54 PM »
The point isn't to impress Xbox fanboys the point is to prove to other 3rd parties that they can make money from these types of games. At least that is the idea.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 20, 2008, 10:38:08 PM »
Damn,at least his games all stay within the formula, instead of Mario who gets reinvented every damn game now.

Yeah, playing the same game over and over again only with a new title is AWESOME. Who needs something new and interesting when you could just play the same game you played last year?
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 20, 2008, 10:45:00 PM »
what a idiot thing to say, none of the Sonic games are the exact same. They just play like past games. Stop with the fanboyism geez people.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 20, 2008, 10:54:39 PM »
what a idiot thing to say, none of the Sonic games are the exact same.

Does not compute

Stop with the fanboyism geez people.

The irony is that this is coming from you.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 20, 2008, 10:56:25 PM »
Ok what he said was ALL of the Sonic games are the same game with a new title slapped on them, utter garbage. Each one is a direct sequel and plays like the last but they are all different enough to be original games. I wasn't bashing Mario for reinventing itself every itles, just asking how is that better than something staying consistent?