Author Topic: HULA HOOPS Tournament. The last round has arrived!  (Read 41409 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: HULA HOOPS Tournament. Round III has begun!
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2008, 08:48:09 PM »
SB tears everyone a new one.  Occasionally, I'll get in a good game, but 9 times out of 10 he beats me to a pulp (and I get the feeling he goes easy on me).

Can you imagine how funny it would be if someone with the handle Smash_Brother sucked at the game?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2008, 09:03:39 PM »
After I got a rhythm of how he played, I had an easier time, so I expect things to go a little differently if we match up again.

Actually, I should probably play him some more, it was pretty fun.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2008, 09:25:33 PM »
I just looked at round 3... I can't play in this tournament this week nor next week. That's why i gave my bye to shecky. I apologize if I didn't make myself clear in my prior posts.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2008, 09:28:16 PM »
Alright, Caliban, I'll take you out of the tournament.  And then I'm making Shecky fight me instead... HAHAHAHAHA!

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2008, 09:35:02 PM »
Alright, Caliban, I'll take you out of the tournament.  And then I'm making Shecky fight me instead... HAHAHAHAHA!

Bwahahaha, one day I will fight you all!

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2008, 09:47:34 PM »
Hey, I can play now if you're up for it.  Prepared to be taken out of the tourney!

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2008, 10:37:40 PM »
Hey, I can play now if you're up for it.  Prepared to be taken out of the tourney!

Bwahahahaha.... I don't go down so easily!  Good games though, we're pretty evenly matched, spicy cury did you in on #2

Result: 2-0 Shecky

I absolutely stink at grabbing people
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 11:02:49 PM by Shecky »

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2008, 11:04:56 PM »
Nice matches, DAaaMan. I took this round, and learned a valuable lesson - don't underestimate Olimar's Forward-B (the one where he shoots Pikmin at you, which then stick to you and beat away at you until you knock them off.)

I think the term is harassment, dude. :P
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2008, 12:27:19 AM »
SB tears everyone a new one.  Occasionally, I'll get in a good game, but 9 times out of 10 he beats me to a pulp (and I get the feeling he goes easy on me).

Let me make one thing very, very clear: the one and ONLY reason I am good at SSB in any way shape or form is because I had, for 5-7 years, a group of solid players I would often play with every single day.

That's how I got where I am: by getting my balls handed to me if I didn't constantly improve. Someone figures out a strategy in the group. You lose for a while, then you figure out how to see it coming and counter it, and I did this for around 7 years.

But the funny part is that, since my group has dissolved and moved on in the world, I routinely get beaten by a Canadian friend who still has a group just like this who he plays with regularly (he knows how jealous I am of it).

Now that my group is gone, I count myself lucky for having had one at all because without it, I never would've had all that practice otherwise.

Can you imagine how funny it would be if someone with the handle Smash_Brother sucked at the game?

That was an irony I hoped I could at least avoid. You might remember posts from earlier when I mentioned that I wasn't sure how I'd measure up to others, mainly because I had no idea where I really stood.

You have two situations I believe happen in offline SSB circles:

Situation 1: One friend dominates all other friends. As a result, s/he never improves and does poorly against situation #2 players.

Situation 2: A group of friends are all competitive, all about the same skill level. When four of them sit down to a game, it could go any which way. They keep developing new strategies and then developing counter-strategies based upon each other's playstyle. Still, all players will only grow as far as they're challenged to grow, meaning the players' overall skill levels influence how far they can take their collective game.

I was fortunate enough to have a situation 2, but I couldn't be sure how far I'd actually come.

To give a basic example of strategies and counter strategies, I'll bring up a classic one between me and my friend Darrel, back with SSB64, and Samus vs. Link...

As Link, I'd always use my Dair on him, but this was eventually stopped when he learned to shield and up+B as a counter. Then, one day, I figured out that pressing Z just as Link hit the ground would cause him to bring up his shield immediately, meaning I could shield his up+B and whallop him with a smash attack afterwards.

It sounds trivial (just learning parts of the game, really) but this is the start of progression when it came to improving our overall game.

It's a pretty safe bet that everyone here who plays SSBB has tons and TONS of untapped potential which will be unlocked as they play more online SSBB, but that only comes from facing challenging opponents who force you to get better. It's actually a neat feeling when I'm playing someone online and I notice that they've figured out one of my strategies and are countering it accordingly (primarily when it's someone I know from online).

I personally don't buy into the "LULZ I PWNED JOO!" mentality of most internet games, hence why I'll never taunt at the end of a match (I don't have a mocking taunt, ironically). It's just a chance to learn and get better at the game. Why? Maybe for tournaments some day or just for the hell of it. Or maybe you have a RL friend you want to trounce.

No matter what the reason, I'm happy to be a sparring partner for folks who want to improve their game and I don't look down on people I win against. God knows I'm still learning characters as well and I've learned a thing or two from a number of NWR folks already.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 01:57:31 AM by Smash_Brother »
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2008, 02:51:01 AM »
I used to play Event 51 obsessively, which is the reason why I ONLY play as a high-risk opportunist (who dares, lolz).

The slippery shieldy low-risk high-priority strike tactics don't get you very far when one's aim is to win without losing stock in the event.

Then Brawl came out, ruined the game, and such opportunist tactics only lead to certain death.

And i'll soon give up on Brawl when Mario Wheeling comes out.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2008, 05:16:01 AM »
Nice matches, DAaaMan. I took this round, and learned a valuable lesson - don't underestimate Olimar's Forward-B (the one where he shoots Pikmin at you, which then stick to you and beat away at you until you knock them off.)

I think the term is harassment, dude. :P

They were good matches, I wish I wasn't out of the tournament :(.

Me and you need to square off when we can get no lag, Olimar is a terribly unfriendly lag character. 
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2008, 11:47:11 AM »
They were good matches, I wish I wasn't out of the tournament :(.

Me and you need to square off when we can get no lag, Olimar is a terribly unfriendly lag character. 

Sorry that you're out of the tourney... but it was either you or me. Regardless of who won, it was gonna suck for one of us.

Totally down with squaring off again... If enough more people get fed up with online, maybe lag will drop to negligible levels. At least we can always hope.
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2008, 12:27:00 PM »
I have a question for Thatguy, and all of you in the tournement really:

How would you feel if i gave up my spot to Vudu?

I know this isn't a serious tourney but i just want to make sure all of you think its fair before i just hand it to him. He and i discussed it after our last round matches and he's ok with it as long as everyone else is.

I don't think i'll have time to get my tourney rounds in for this week. I can only play for like an hour tonight after work and even that will be cutting into my schedule, and i have no idea when Pale is able to play. I'd rather Vudu take my spot since our matches were pretty much down to the wire, so i'm sure he'll go as far as i would of gone if i was participating.

I'll try to be part of the next tournament though, whether thats for Brawl or Mario Kart. I'll still be on weekends to play any one of you randomly though, so don't take me off your friend rosters!!!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2008, 03:47:16 PM »
I'm fine with that.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2008, 04:19:45 PM »
you don't count cuz you'd end up raping him
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2008, 04:20:47 PM »
That's fine with me.  No problem there.

Also, how do we want to do this losers tournament?  Is it an attempt to find who we think is #3?

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2008, 04:25:23 PM »
Also, how do we want to do this losers tournament?  Is it an attempt to find who we think is #3?

Wouldn't #3 (& #4) be one of the people who lost to the guys who made it to the final round?  This is really just a way to find out who the worst Smash player is on NWR.  (And, considering I was the only person who lost both round 1 & 2, I suppose that's me!)
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2008, 04:35:11 PM »
you don't count cuz you'd end up raping him

Not true. He could be practicing right now, developing a new strategy against Bowser players (which is why I'd pull out my second main...as soon as I figure one out).

Honestly, my weakness is being rattled by a player pulling something on me I'm not familiar with under pressure. That's why Thatguy nearly won our 2nd match: his Ice Climber biorhythm kicked in and he was figuring out how to handle my Bowser. Had the items not gone severely in my favor, it'd have gone the other way, as I was down a stock for most of the match.

I think half the advantage of Bowser as a main is that so few people play him seriously that hardly anyone has experience fighting a Bowser player. Once they DO have that experience, Bowser becomes a bit easier to deal with, it seems.

The lag on all of his moves generally means there are only ever so many tricks he can pull out, and while they're powerful tricks, they're limited by quantity and that makes him predictable.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2008, 04:36:15 PM »

Wouldn't #3 (& #4) be one of the people who lost to the guys who made it to the final round?  This is really just a way to find out who the worst Smash player is on NWR.  (And, considering I was the only person who lost both round 1 & 2, I suppose that's me!)

I haven't yet played my round 1 match, technically, and I strongly suspect Shecky's a lot better than me.  You and I may need to have a showdown.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2008, 04:47:29 PM »
No, since it's a double elimination tournament, the 3rd and fourth placers may not wind up being the last ones left.  For instance, if someone early on lost to the top two, whereas your third and fourth may have lost to the some mediocre player and the 2nd placer, are we sure 3rd is really the best one?

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2008, 04:49:40 PM »
Can we at least agree that I suck?

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2008, 04:59:59 PM »
You dont suck vudu, you whooped my ass the majority of the time in our after-tourny matches, remember?

except for that EPIC 1-stock match in New Pork City where my ness threw your sheik off the left edge at only like 20%

man i really wish we had a replay of that fox vs fox match... that was LOLtastic

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2008, 05:20:09 PM »
man i really wish we had a replay of that fox vs fox match... that was LOLtastic

For those curious, in the Fox vs. Fox match, I was up two lives to one, when EasyCure nabbed a Smash ball.  He instantly killed me.  He then sat around for about half the life of the Landmaster while he waited for me to respawn.  I finally was forced back onto the playing field, and desperately tried to avoid him until his Final Smash ended.  I was standing on top of his Landmaster and he was about to shoot me off (and most likely kill me) when time ran out.  This took place in mid-air at the very bottom of the screen, with no ground below us, so EasyCure died about a half a second before I did, thus securing me a win.

It seemed funnier at the time; I guess you had to be there.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2008, 05:23:28 PM »
He should have hovered you off the top while you were still invincible.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2008, 05:24:32 PM »
Hey vudu, that Ice Climbers replay you sent me was awful.  What am I supposed to do with it?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.