Author Topic: What's MS' next move with the XBox 360?  (Read 34328 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
What's MS' next move with the XBox 360?
« on: March 16, 2008, 08:50:43 PM »
Well, the PS3 has outsold the XBox 360 for the last two NPD months, and MS' little console-that-breaks is also rapidly losing ground to the PS3 in Europe. They actually just dropped the price for the XBox 360 in europe such that the arcade is cheaper than the Wii!

So what's MS' next move? Some say the current sales slump is because of console shortages... ehh...

Another theory could be that MS is stock-piling XBox 360's for the GTA IV launch. Will they try to bundle the console with the game for people who want to buy a console just for GTA?

Or... could MS be gearing up for a price drop in anticipation of GTA IV?

Do you guys think a price drop is likely coming for the XBox 360 this Spring? Maybe this summer/fall? And what should Nintendo do about it? And what can Sony do about it to maintain their momentum and not fall behind again?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: What's MS' next move with the XBox 360?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 09:36:12 PM »
It reminds of of Dreamcast all over again, price drop after price drop, still no sales.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 01:36:41 AM »
It reminds of of Dreamcast all over again, price drop after price drop, still no sales.

Way to early to call that.  I'm sure the DreamCast was doing terrible by this point in it's life. 

As for what MS should do?  3 things:

-  Make a new controller with "waggle"
-  release a super scope clone
-  1,000,000 Fusion Frenzy games

You know it is actually kind of hard to compete with a console that really has no advantages over yours but sells anyway. :/  I also doubt they have anything big ready to be release that could do anything in addition to the GTA launch. And at this time, price drops don't do anything.

Hmmm... They need buy and permanently own a big name. Like Call of Duty.  That's what they should do.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 01:44:54 AM by DAaaMan64 »
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 01:36:58 AM »
Microsoft will start paying people to own the broken Xboxes that are piling up in their warehouses.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 01:45:02 AM »
Probably try to make it a Wii clone, first it was a expensive PS2 clone(as in trying to emulate the PS2's success) that broke more.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 06:20:42 AM »
"So what's MS' next move? Some say the current sales slump is because of console shortages... ehh..."

LOL Console Shortage?  How?  I see piles of them everyday.  If Nintendo gets criticism for having a legitimate shortage and can nearly double 360's totals each month, there's no way in hell MS is having a shortage and barely beating the in-stock all day long PS3.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 09:41:35 AM »
Make a new revision that is rock solid hardware wise?
Release what is finished in Too Human and split it up to 6 games.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 10:26:28 AM »
I think MS just needs to release a few more family friendly games to grab some of the new market share Nintendo has opened up. Otherwise, I would say they don't really need to do anything because they seem to be appeasing the hardcore market quite well here in America, and quite frankly I think that is enough to carry them.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 10:30:34 AM »
I think MS just needs to release a few more family friendly games to grab some of the new market share Nintendo has opened up. Otherwise, I would say they don't really need to do anything because they seem to be appeasing the hardcore market quite well here in America, and quite frankly I think that is enough to carry them.
There's no point in Microsoft making family friendly games to go after the Wii, that's a lost cause. They should stick with what's working, appealing to the "hardcore" gamers.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 10:33:42 AM »
There's no point in Microsoft making family friendly games to go after the Wii, that's a lost cause. They should stick with what's working, appealing to the "hardcore" gamers.

Probably true, but if the games are low effort, low impact games, why not? There is little to lose and they could at least advertise that they are hitting that market, and fool a few parents into buying one for their kids.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 11:32:27 AM »
What they NEED to do is fix the stupid problems long enough for people to forget there was a problem. My friend who got his at launch, is now on his third 360! I mean he is pretty stubborn too, he knows they're gonna crap out on him but he keeps trying anyways. Funny thing is the last time it broke, he just bought a Wii and Guitar Hero 3 and said **** it, but he got another 360 anyways. I only have 1 friend who still has a working 360, it is an elite, he got it the day the elite came out so it should be close to crapping out any day now.

Maybe MS can keep pretending like there isn't a problem but some people once a console breaks twice they give up.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 11:35:08 AM »

Well for Microsoft, Japan is the biggest lost cause and arguably more than half of Europe. Traditionally they need to cling on America which they have a strong base but the Wii is almost neck and neck with Microsoft in amount of home console sales in America (life time totals). Microsoft made some shots at casuals with Scene it!, fusion frenzy 2(horrible attempt) and Viva Pinata Party Animals (another one that bombed fast). I heard that even when Microsoft dropped the price of the 360 in Europe with the Core/Arcade being cheaper than the Wii I don't think it even dented the Wii's momentum in Europe or didn't make a big impact.

Edit: Also a lot of people on NeoGaf has been reporting that on their Falcon chipset 360 Elites theres an HDMI port failure and those people were only able to get a signal if they used the component cables.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 11:37:59 AM by Flames_of_chaos »
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 11:46:11 AM »
MS tried to get into Japan, they failed. They lost Europe and are losing America fast. A year ago I saw 360 everywhere I went, and was bombard by those annoying "Get a free Xbox 360" tv commercials. Now most stores that used to have big 360 displayed are all displaying PS3 and Wii instead. And those same TV commercials now advertise a Free Laptop instead cuz they learned the 360 wasn't a good sales pitch anymore. To tell you the truth, I even see more commercials for Wii than I do 360 now and that never happened last gen.

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 01:20:55 PM »
To be honest the only place that I hear the 360 is in trouble is on the interwebs.  In real life, everyone I know that has jumped into the current-gen with only one console has done so with the 360.  I have all three consoles, but I only have two friends with a PS3, and one of those has a Wii as well.

Then again I'm not really a social butterfly so for all I know everyone out of my circle of friends is waggling and six axising their way to success.
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 03:23:08 PM »
I think we'll see a price cut for GTA.  They'll then ride that as long as possible without the PS3 catching up too much.

As soon as the PS3 hits a certain point in the US, you'll see them unveil the next system.  Jumping the gun early is the only reason  they have the foothold they do this gen.  There is no reason for them to change that strategy.

You'll see them really focus on the stability of the new hardware, because the best way to break that stigma is to stop selling the product that has it.  You'll also see them commit heavily to a hard drive and digital content.  They had Live Arcade first, but both Sony and Nintendo have arguably taken that crown away.  The XNA stuff we've seen is a hint of what's to come there.

This November will be 3 years for the 360.  Going by the five year cycles, that is only a little bit early to start showing the new one.  I fully expect to see it E3/Summer 09.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2008, 03:55:27 PM »
I can't think of anything MS could do now to pull this one out.

The Wii is stomping the hell out of them and if even the PS3 is starting to gain on them, they're definitely in trouble.

I think a Wiimote clone controller would be too little too late and any attempt to engage the "family" sector from them has always crashed and burned.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2008, 04:09:55 PM »
There actually have been 2 supply issues - first is that no one in China works for 2 weeks during Chinese New Year, which actually hurt production, and second is that they are getting ready to release a new 60GB model (replacing the current "Premium/Pro" system), and are no longer making the 20GB HDDs. You'll see in the next couple weeks or so...
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2008, 04:15:30 PM »
I think a Wiimote clone controller would be too little too late and any attempt to engage the "family" sector from them has always crashed and burned.

lol Viva Piñata...Although, I heard Scene It was going well for them.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that the system constantly dying could be affecting its popularity.

No one wants to buy something that has a very high chance of dying, even if its brand spanking new. So the red ring of death issue could be scaring off potential customers aways...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 04:22:06 PM by pap64 »
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2008, 04:47:07 PM »
I went to the Play.com Live thing here at Wembley Stadium, yesterday. (Karlie? Greg? Did either of you go?) Despite their losing sales, Microsoft had about 60% of the floor space to themselves. Throwing money at it (console RRP's or floorspace) won't solve the problem, but it does make it look like nothing is wrong.

Seeing two bands rock it out on Rock Band and Guitar Hero... then wait for the 360 to "warm up" was funny though.

Despite the event being described as "being able to play games that aren't released yet", i only played Sega Superstars Tennis and a little bit of Haze. Nintendo didn't show up.

Offline mastro

• I less than three U
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 03:31:17 AM »
The problem with Xbox is the variety of games suck. Every time MS says they will fix and realse a better variety they go crazy and start over hyping the next big shooter. They say they want mass appeal but they only cater to the niche.

I kinda agree that they will hype up games like GTA4 and Too human then announce the next console. I personally can not wait for the day when a console last 10 years. Hoping this generation will become that but with 3 consoles I just have a hard time thinking that will ever happen. I just can't see much more noticeable improvement in game quality with better consoles.

It seems like console makers are starting to sell brand and hype instead of hardware and games.
If you add any of my WiiC or any FC please PM me.

Wii #                   
4871 4170 1627 4831

Endless Ocean #       
7415 7735 7984

Smash Bros Brawl #   
1032 0904 4453

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2008, 03:57:37 AM »
Yeah, as much as I love my XBOX 360 I feel a tad annoyed at the majority of the titles being FPS games. I do enjoy them, but I would love developers to be more daring and make new things.

What I find baffling is that people whine and bitch about the Wii getting nothing but mini game collections, but mum's the word about the 360's lack of variety.

I know some people will say "Well, FPS games offer more challenge and depth than mini game collections", and I agree with them, but its still an issue nonetheless. Even the PS3 has more varied titles.

This could also be an issue as to why the 360 isn't doing as well as it should.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2008, 06:29:53 AM »
It's true, there ARE too many FPS games on the 360.  I don't even LIKE shooters, but somehow I've wound up with BioShock and The Orange Box.  Shame on the 360 for enticing me with games based on Westerns and the Civil War, only to have them turn out to silly old FPSes.  FPS's.  Uh.  FPSi.  Whatever.
Not just flowers,I love them all like weeds and     veget
able.

I want to do garden forever.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2008, 08:01:16 AM »
The logical move may be for MS to withdraw from the video game console market. I thought the whole point was to stop Sony, and they seem to have failed now that Blu-Ray has apparently won the format war.

I don't see them withdrawing, though, but it does make logical sense because the Xbox is not a profitable product compared to their other products like Windoze. Since they're going to stay in the market, the Xbox should probably tie more into the computing market where they are their strongest. I expect in the future the Xbox will run some form of Windows Vista and you'll be able to hook printers and just about any other computing peripheral up to it. Gaming will still be a big factor with it, but the main focus will probably switch over to computing.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2008, 05:59:26 PM »
I just discovered an irony in all of this...The XBOX 360 is doing poorly in console sales, but software sales are fantastic. Yet the Wii is doing greatly, but games are slowly selling.

If you check the charts, you'll see a lot of 360 games. If a game is multiplatform the 360 version always sells the best.

Weird, no?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2008, 06:14:19 PM »
360 gamers, generally, know what the internet is and know about the release dates. So everyone buys them all at the same time 1 minute past midnight.
Wii gamers, generally, get on with their daily lives and pay the bills. Then they hear about brain training, go "OH!" and buy it, 2 years after release.