Author Topic: I, the poster, DO SOLEMNLY SWEAR... (spoilers)  (Read 8750 times)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
I, the poster, DO SOLEMNLY SWEAR... (spoilers)
« on: February 04, 2008, 06:20:29 AM »
...to not main a Space Animal.

I've been watching "competitive" videos of duels, and while I can't wait to start dueling in this game, the primary choices people are using still seem to be Marth and the space animals...and they seem to be winning quite a few matches.

So people, let's get some of the underdogs up into the higher tier brackets before they're formed. Let's hear it for your Bowsers, your DKs, your Luigis, your Warios!

I intend to once again main Bowser, and take him into many online matches and stomp the hell out of Falcos and Marths.

VIVA LA LOW TIER REVOLUTION!!

Who's with me!?
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
RE: I, the poster, DO SOLEMNLY SWEAR... (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 06:22:28 AM »
Is the game "slower" to play?
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 06:24:43 AM »
I mained Ganondorf in Melee, and will do so again in Brawl most likely, since his moveset seems to be similar again.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 06:24:48 AM »
Yeah, it's slower, but like I said, I've been seeing too many Marth/Space animal vids for my liking.

I think I've seen only one duel with a heavyweight (Dedede vs. Peach) but at least the heavy won.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 06:39:51 AM »
Can't let you do that, Star Fox...

Fox was my secondary in Melee (behind Roy), so I'll continue to use him because I like him... =3

Right now I'm looking at using Ike, Fox, Pit, Toon Link, and Lucario for the majority, regardless of how "good" they are...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 06:43:31 AM »
Does Olimar count as a space animal? He controls several smaller space animals (well, they're not from space, but it is an alien planet, maybe, or maybe it's Earth, it does have a lot of stuff from Earth at least) and he has a space ship. Anyway, he's my main.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 06:55:17 AM »
If they don't call him "Star Olimar" and he's not part of a team called "Star ____" then he's safe.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 06:56:29 AM »
I smell the start of a new internet meme... =(

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 06:57:39 AM »
You mean Space Animals? That's been around for a while now when referencing Fox and Falco.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 06:59:12 AM »
Aha, I was implying adding "Star" before the names of supposed "top-tier" characters...

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 07:06:04 AM »
gahh it's slower!? Damn n00bs.

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
RE:I, the poster, DO SOLEMNLY SWEAR... (spoilers)
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 07:07:22 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
I think I've seen only one duel with a heavyweight (Dedede vs. Peach) but at least the heavy won.

Ganondorf vs. Bowser match for ya then:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdbFF7Jf898

EDIT: Oh no... seems Ganondorf's Down and B move is no longer a recovery aid, but suicidal when done like that now...  
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 07:09:29 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Aha, I was implying adding "Star" before the names of supposed "top-tier" characters...

Ah, I see.

Yeah, that'd be even more irritating than the naming of advanced techniques.

Originally posted by: Arbok Ganondorf vs. Bowser match for ya then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdbFF7Jf898

As neat as that is, I'm curious to see a pro Bowser player take their game against a Space animal or another light character.

I'm curious to see if heavyweights can actually hold their own this time out or do they get demolished by light characters yet again.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 07:24:21 AM »
I'll play as Bowser!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Sessha

• I, too, believe Pale to be the devil.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 07:27:38 AM »
I never had the urge to main Falco or Fox, Wolf isn't going to change my mind either.  I mained Captian Falcon and Zelda a lot in melee.  Right now I would like to try and main with Meta Knight but there are a lot of characters I want to try before that.  

I think S_B you'll have a much easier time beating up animals (I promise I won't call P.E.T.A) since they have taken the suck out of Bowser this time around.  In action Dedede is a monster, He's the strongest Heavy I've seen and I'm suprised not more of him have been popping up.  
Laugh and the world laughs with you.  Weep and you weep alone.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2008, 07:41:19 AM »
I'm totally maining R.O.B.
GOREGASM!

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2008, 07:41:57 AM »
Luigi all the way.  He's been my main since the original and is why I am Luigi Dude.  If it wasn't for Luigi my name would be Mario Man instead.

Of course Captain Falcon is in a close second.  I use him most of the time when I'm playing weaker opponets or 4 on 4 matches.  Nothing's better then using the Captain to crush those who are inferior to you.

But when I do 1 on 1 matches against those equal or better then me, that's when it's the Green Machines time to shine.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2008, 07:47:17 AM »
What the Hell is "main"?  Use proper English.  I had to read your post twice and then Arbok's before I understood what you meant.  Does this mean I'm slow?  Probably.  But it would help if you didn't try to use nouns in the place of verbs.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 07:48:42 AM »
Main...Primary...First choice...Soul Mate?

I guess that one doesn't work...

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2008, 07:49:07 AM »
Isn't it, "I'm manning Wolf as my character."?

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2008, 07:53:44 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu
What the Hell is "main"?  Use proper English.  I had to read your post twice and then Arbok's before I understood what you meant.  Does this mean I'm slow?  Probably.  But it would help if you didn't try to use nouns in the place of verbs.

The term "Main" has been around since SSB64, I believe, and unlike typical "tourneyf*g" lingo, it makes logical sense: your MAIN = your main character.

And proper english on went out the window when "I Googled the price of a Japanese we."

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2008, 07:57:34 AM »

Originally posted by: DAaaMan64
Isn't it, "I'm manning Wolf as my character."?

Only if you consider the characters machines/tools, you heartless fiend you... =(

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2008, 08:56:25 AM »
I heard that Kirby and Yoshi are actually strong now, not unlike their Melee counterparts. If its true, I'll main them. They were my favorite characters in the original SSB, but Melee nerfed them right in the butt. No matter how much effort you put into their attacks you barely did damage.

Brawl supposedly corrects this and they are now quite strong. If true, I'm going back to them.

I was also thinking of making Lucario my main if his moves were decent enough. Oh and Wario...

Poor, poor Wario...In all the videos I've seen Wario has yet to show up as a formidable opponent. He's already bottom tier without a tier in existence!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2008, 09:04:12 AM »
I could easily wind up maining Wario just because he's so badly ignored.

I have yet to see even a single "pro" match with him.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2008, 09:21:30 AM »
On a random note, does anyone know if Brawl has a character who was purposely made weaker than the rest? Sakurai mentioned before that they did this for Jigglypuff in the original Smash Bros (thankfully, he was greatly improved for Melee) and then Pichu for Melee... is there an equivalent for Brawl?

Personally, I hope not.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk