Author Topic: Why does Nintendo hate the Game Cube?  (Read 46806 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Why does Nintendo hate the Game Cube?
« Reply #150 on: June 11, 2008, 07:14:57 PM »
You accept Super Mario Bros. 2 despite the fact that it isn't really a Mario game, it's Doki Doki Panic with Mario characters swapped in as the main characters, and you don't accept Sunshine, a Mario platformer made by Nintendo specifically as a main series Mario game.

Wouldn't it be interesting to try something like Sunshine again on the Wi? Using the remote pointer to aim the water pack could be interesting. The same could be said of Luigi's Mansion and aiming the vacuum.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 11, 2008, 07:22:04 PM »
I accept Mario 2 only as a dream, a side quest, not as a regular Mario game, I think I said that.

Sunshine just didn't do it for me. I liked it but it just wasn't very Mario enough. I did like Luigi's Mansion but his games are always different than Mario's game so it was no big deal.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 11, 2008, 08:20:33 PM »
Actually I think those creatures with big noses were Goombas or at least a new type of goomba. Koopa troopas were in it except they had different shells, boo was in it, cheep cheeps were in it, bloopers were in it, Yoshi was in it, Bowser was in it, chomp chomps were in it, piranha plants were in it, toad was in it, peach was in it, actually it probably has just as many "classic" characters as Mario 64 had. Seriously though a "Mario" game is truly subjective because Mario 64 is NOTHING like the 2D Marios both in level structure and how it plays. It may have had goombas and koopa troopas (Hardly any though), but there isn't much linking to it to the previous games when it comes to design. I trust Miyamoto's definition of a Mario Platformer over "user x" on the message board since he freaken created the character!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 11, 2008, 09:06:49 PM »
I never got that far, the game just had other issues.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 11, 2008, 10:27:12 PM »
My problem with Mario Sunshine was the water cannon thing, and I feel it would have been a much better game without that. If it were some limited time powerup like the Raccoon suit then it would have been fine, but the problem was you had it the whole entire game and just couldn't get rid of it...

Nintendo did similar things with Metroid Prime (making it an FPS), and with Zelda WW (making it a cartoon). The main reason the GC didn't do as well as it should have is probably because Nintendo kept changing the formulas for its core franchises and pissed off their fans in the process. Now, I personally didn't have a problem with the graphical style of Zelda WW (although apparently many people did), but I did have a problem with the alterations of equipping Mario with a permanent water cannon and making Metroid into an FPS. For me, those changes were unforgivable.

And to top that off, Sunshine was the only real Mario game for the GC. All the other "Mario" games were Party and Sports games or spin-offs. So for people who loved the platforming Mario games of other consoles, they were naturally dissappointed with the GC's offerings in that respect.
is your sanity...

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 11, 2008, 10:44:33 PM »
the water cannon was the obvious reason for not enjoying Sunshine, but that isn't good enough for some people. Now that I think about it, the levels I did play that didn't have the back pack were pretty good. It has been over 5 years since I played it though and I did not get very far. But it left a sour taste in my mouth and was not a very good Mario game, or not Mario enough in some ways I guess.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #156 on: June 12, 2008, 01:24:51 PM »
Smack talk on Mario Sunshine = FAIL. The game is grossly underrated and IMO is infinitely more enjoyable than Galaxy which I played till I beat it 100% (241 stars) and I doubt I will play it again. Sunshine was more challenging, more like Mario 64 and more fun than Mario Galaxy was, hands down.

The BEST thing Nintendo did with the Gamecube is shake up their mainline franchises. The Gamecube was like one big testing ground for Nintendo. Some of their tests proved successful, others did not; regardless, everything they offered was interesting, fresh and new. The only thing Nintendo did that bothered me was cop out with Wind Waker. The game should've been in dev for another whole year and it would've been leagues better. As it stands the game is a bit too short and it disappoints me every time I think about it because there was MASSIVE potential there and they barely scratched the surface of it. Even worse, Phantom Hourglass did almost nothing to further tap into that potential.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 12, 2008, 02:08:53 PM »
Man, you guys are making me want to buy Sunshine RIGHT NOW!
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 12, 2008, 02:29:29 PM »
I stopped playing Mario Sunshine because of the levels without the waterpack. They just became far too difficult, if I remember correctly. My big problem with the game was the camera. I want a camera that I can control when I want to, not that I am required to control 24/7.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 11, 2008, 02:53:27 PM »
I came so close to buying Sunshine last night on Half.com for 10 bux......so close

Instead, I went with Yoshi's Island for the GBA

« Reply #160 on: July 12, 2008, 01:04:15 AM »
Sunshine is well worth 10 bucks.  Most of Sunshine's detractors (of which I am one) still concede that it's probably one of the best games ever made, so you can rest assured that it's a good buy.
Not just flowers,I love them all like weeds and     veget
able.

I want to do garden forever.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 12, 2008, 01:52:06 AM »
That happens a lot, where we point out flaws and analyze everything so much that it seems like we hate games that we actually love and are amazing, like recently with Brawl.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 26, 2008, 09:44:03 PM »
Just got Sunshine!  About to play...

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 27, 2008, 04:45:24 AM »
That happens a lot, where we point out flaws and analyze everything so much that it seems like we hate games that we actually love and are amazing, like recently with Brawl.

Is it okay not to love it because it's too god damned hard?
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 27, 2008, 09:49:23 AM »
Smack talk on Mario Sunshine = FAIL. The game is grossly underrated and IMO is infinitely more enjoyable than Galaxy which I played till I beat it 100% (241 stars) and I doubt I will play it again. Sunshine was more challenging, more like Mario 64 and more fun than Mario Galaxy was, hands down.

The BEST thing Nintendo did with the Gamecube is shake up their mainline franchises. The Gamecube was like one big testing ground for Nintendo. Some of their tests proved successful, others did not; regardless, everything they offered was interesting, fresh and new. The only thing Nintendo did that bothered me was cop out with Wind Waker. The game should've been in dev for another whole year and it would've been leagues better. As it stands the game is a bit too short and it disappoints me every time I think about it because there was MASSIVE potential there and they barely scratched the surface of it. Even worse, Phantom Hourglass did almost nothing to further tap into that potential.

I'm playing throuh Phantom Hourglass right now.  I think it does two things that Wind waker could have severally benefitted from.  The density of the game is better and sailing is not a chore really because there are things to do on the ocean.  Beyond that I agree.  I think the controls for Wind Wakers in the dungeons where for the most part more precise.  This game didn't do anything to push the universe along.  Though I haven't beaten it but if Ganon isn't the boss then I will say the the WW inspired entry in the series are the most progressive.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #165 on: July 27, 2008, 12:02:40 PM »
Just weighing in- Wind Waker is my favorite GC game, and I think Sunshine is AS GOOD as Galaxy.  The scope of the levels, the physics of floating, bouncing, motor-boating around.  It's all a lot of fun.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 29, 2008, 04:57:52 PM »
I'm out of money and I need GC component cables. Does anyone have any or know where I can find some?
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #167 on: August 29, 2008, 05:24:49 PM »
eBay. Good luck because I tried to find them for years but the only thing they would take for payment was my arm and leg. You're better off grabbing Wii component cables and playing your GC games there (that's what I do now).
Check out PixlBit!

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 29, 2008, 05:43:00 PM »
Ya there's a long drawn out story about why I can't play these games on my Wii.

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 29, 2008, 07:52:36 PM »
I'm out of money and I need GC component cables. Does anyone have any or know where I can find some?
You can try this link..  Put your ZIP code in to search for them within a 100 mile radius.  $4.99 is a steal.  It's not common, but it's not impossible (I got a set this summer when we drove to visit a friend in another state).

While you're at it, check this link and see if you can find me some used Broadband Adapters. :)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 29, 2008, 08:39:16 PM »
I don't need no Broadband adapters. But I did just put some component cables on hold. Thank you a lot UB. :)

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 29, 2008, 09:42:36 PM »
I need Broadband adapters!  Get some for me. ;)
I need three more to get my 8...
And if you run into any extra component cables, let me know too. ;)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 29, 2008, 11:25:11 PM »
Oh sorry, I didn't know YOU wanted one sorry. Hey I looked, the nearest one is an hour away. Or about 1hr 30 minutes with traffic. So 3 hours total, sorry I can't do that.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 29, 2008, 11:32:27 PM »
lol... worth a shot.  Enjoy those $5 component cables though - consider yourself lucky! :)

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 02, 2008, 02:54:34 AM »
**** Strikers, **** Sluggers, Wave Race: Blue Storm and 1080: Avalanche is where it's at!  RETURN THESE SERIES Nintendo! They absolutely RULE on GC. Probably in my top 10 GC games!  They are just AWESOME, and I hope there are fans of these here.

Frozen Shoe Games