Author Topic: Sad times [my XBOX360 died]  (Read 14155 times)

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
RE:Sad times
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2008, 01:30:12 AM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
I hate Windows because of the fundamentally flawed registry structure.

QFT. Windows can act fundamentally just like *nix systems as long as you know enough about what you are doing, the true point of failure is the registry. It overly complicates the operating system and it's management and really ruins it for me as well. Windows vs. The World arguments are stupid, use what you want, everyone has their preference and different levels of tolerance.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
RE: Sad times
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2008, 04:11:53 PM »
I'm not saying that it's because "no one uses Linux" (and I read your post), I mean Windows is more popular as in it's the mainstream choice. I've got a feeling that "hackers" or whatever you want to label the people who write/spread viruses as, have more respect for people who use Linux, due to the fact that it's basically created by it's users, and it's free (most of the time). A lot of viruses for Windows are written because they see a flaw, and exploit it, so that Microsoft has to fix said flaw, because Windows costs a good bit of money (again, most of the time) and because it's so mainstream.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2008, 04:59:33 PM »
But the flaw cannot be exploited if even the application with the exploit has no right to change system files unless otherwise given permission with the root password.  Most Linux distributions also doesn't allow executables to be executed unless you the user allow them to become executable.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2008, 09:04:18 PM »
Depends on what you want to do. To really screw a user up it's usually enough to delete his personal files, to grab important info like CC details all you need access to is the user's data.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
RE:Sad times
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2008, 04:48:45 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Depends on what you want to do. To really screw a user up it's usually enough to delete his personal files, to grab important info like CC details all you need access to is the user's data.

Yes that is true for both Windows and Linux.  Linux you'd have to give it permission to become an executable and then you'd have to execute it, it could not run on it's own.  

Then that comes back around to the security of your applications, such as your web browser. But It still stands, a third party borking your system is pretty hard to do on Linux.

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2008, 12:59:14 PM »
It isn't just the Windows OS which is unstable, but other Windows software as well. I think Outlook, Office, and Internet Explorer all have a really terrible reputation when it comes to security and stability, don't they? I remember how that was one of the reasons why Firefox became so popular so fast because it had a lot better security features and stuff built into it. To be fair, I think much of IE's problems have probably been fixed with 7.0, but the fact IE is integrated and unremovable from the OS itself probably has a lot of security issues with it.
is your sanity...

Offline Dan_Flyhight

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2008, 02:17:11 PM »
I feel for you. My xbox 360 Pro broke last week, it took a week to get the box, I sent it back the day I got the box which was this last tuesday and it just got into texas this morning and its sitting in san antonio texas right now...you'd think it could from houston to mcallas texas or wherever in less than 1 day...not to mention the 3-4 weeks I have to wait to get it back.
If ever the acid-spitting llamas ever engulf your esophagus out of fear for their own pancreas, you know who to call...

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: Sad times
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2008, 06:44:52 PM »
Well getting the 360 replaced is easy wait till you have to get your xbox live arcade games relicensed to your new refurbished 360, when i called MS about this I was:
- Hung up on 3 times
- Deliberately put on hold for about 15 - 30 minutes in hopes I would hang up
- Had to repeat the same "solution" 3 times with no results which took a good 30 minutes
- When I go to the supervisor they said the whole relicensing process takes 30 days and so far my arcade games are no relicensed.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2008, 09:44:36 PM »
I've been a lifelong fan of Windows (had every version since 3.1 except the NTs because I didn't need 'em), but Vista is trying my patience for the reasons you guys said, plus the fact that I still need to keep alive the laptop I had "retired" because this new one with Vista, while much better, can't run a lot of the old one's programs, even though the programs are barely two years old. Stupid. Though I'll never bow to the Apple pressure that my father and sister caved into...never!

Back on topic, I've been considering a 360 in the near future (provided I eventually get the money for it), but if the systems are still behaving this way, I'm going to hold off. I already went through the month-long process of getting my Wii fixed (which broke because of their system update...and they didn't even transfer my Miis or my saved data!), and Halo 3 isn't enough of a reason to go through that again at the expense of $400.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2008, 09:46:07 PM »
I've been a lifelong fan of Windows (had every version since 3.1 except the NTs because I didn't need 'em), but Vista is trying my patience for the reasons you guys said, plus the fact that I still need to keep alive the laptop I had "retired" because this new one with Vista, while much better, can't run a lot of the old one's programs, even though the programs are barely two years old. Stupid. Though I'll never bow to the Apple pressure that my father and sister caved into...never!

Back on topic, I've been considering a 360 in the near future (provided I eventually get the money for it), but if the systems are still behaving this way, I'm going to hold off. I already went through the month-long process of getting my Wii fixed (which broke because of their system update...and they didn't even transfer my Miis or my saved data!), and Halo 3 isn't enough of a reason to go through that again at the expense of $400.

This post is comical to me, because, based on your username, I always thought you were a Mac freak.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2008, 09:56:22 PM »
Inconsistent name, Mikintosh. Minus a point.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2008, 10:02:34 PM »
My new laptop has Vista and aside from it being odd I don't have any real problems, just oddities.

1.  I cannot install Verison DSL software but I don't need it, just connect to the router via wireless and I am fine with online.

2.  Printer at work, I couldn't install the software because it said I didn't have Internet Explorer 5.0 or later when in fact I have version 7.x.  But I can just hook the printer up anyway and let it detect the printer and then I can print as if there was no problem at all.

Like I said, just odd stuff that has popped up for me but hasn't killed the experience.

The only other thing I would even think about installing would be the software for my camera, and I don't even need to do that because of the media card reader on my laptop.  All I have to do is put the SD card in and I can pull everything I snap a picture of off that way a lot quicker than it would take to hook the camera up, wait for it to detect the camera and then upload the pictos onto my computer.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2008, 10:35:56 PM »
I'll never bow to the Apple pressure that my father and sister caved into...never!

Resistance is futile. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2008, 11:10:32 PM »
Resistance is NOT futile, I used Mac's all through PhotoShop and FinalCut training and Windows for the rest of my life, and now I use Linux.

Chew on that Steve and Bill!

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2008, 12:00:17 AM »
You lack brand loyalty.  Dispose of him.
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Sad times [my XBOX360 died]
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2008, 08:09:53 PM »
Well here we are, February 28th and I finally got an email from MS saying they fixed my 360 and will send it back to me soon. So that it has been about a month and 8 days or so since I started the process. From what I understand it will take close to a week to get it back, so thatmakes it a month and a half! Talk about ridiculous.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2008, 08:11:58 PM »
That's pretty crazy.  I think it only took about 3 weeks for me to get mine back.  Are you getting your actual system returned or a separate refurbished console?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2008, 08:43:59 PM »
That's pretty crazy.  I think it only took about 3 weeks for me to get mine back.  Are you getting your actual system returned or a separate refurbished console?

I have no idea, when I try to log in to see my system status I can't find it lol. All I have is their email.

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2008, 10:03:53 PM »
Well at least you'll most likely be getting a free month of live (or maybe even more considering how long it has taken).

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 29, 2008, 09:27:58 AM »
As bad as the wait is, it still beats buying a new one, eh?
is your sanity...

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 29, 2008, 01:13:38 PM »
As bad as the wait is, it still beats buying a new one, eh?

Lol, true. Well I got a tracking number for shipment but it STILL isn't showing up on FedEx ::grrrr::.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2008, 01:19:15 PM »
Well here we are, February 28th and I finally got an email from MS saying they fixed my 360 and will send it back to me soon. So that it has been about a month and 8 days or so since I started the process. From what I understand it will take close to a week to get it back, so thatmakes it a month and a half! Talk about ridiculous.

Well in that whole month and a half you've been missing your 360, I've played my 360 a grand total of zero times. Probably won't turn it on again until GTA IV comes out.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2008, 01:59:45 PM »
Well I got a tracking number for shipment but it STILL isn't showing up on FedEx ::grrrr::.

Hope you get the RIGHT tracking number.  They gave me a completely incorrect one making me think mine had been shipped to some guy in the midwest.  I was actually disappointed when I found out I just got the wrong tracking number, as I was hoping to receive a brand new unit.  :-P

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 29, 2008, 02:04:25 PM »
Should be interesting to see if I get a new one or not since mine is an Xbox 360 Elite.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2008, 11:32:38 AM »
I suggest buying games on the PS3 as much as possible so you're not deprived when this new 360 breaks.