Author Topic: Wii isn't hardcore enough  (Read 11818 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Wii isn't hardcore enough
« on: October 19, 2007, 09:57:40 PM »
Link

AY: Ah, the Wii. Wiiiiiiiiii... Silent Hill Wii. Can we do it? Will players like it?

WN: Yeah! There's a lot of potential there, using the remote as a flashlight, or a knife...

AY: Yeah, there's potential.

WN: But no plans.

AY: No plans. The Wii user isn't a hardcore user.

You know I'm getting pretty friggin' sick of reading crap like this. First, Gamecube was just for kids and the market share was too small. Fine, I can buy that to some degree. Now, Wii is destroying everything in its path everywhere in the whole world, it's not hardcore enough for X game or Y user. Not that I'm dying to get some Silent Hill on Nintendo hardware, I just think it's ridiculous that there's still a debate about whether to support the platform.

I'm beginning to think that Nintendo just plain can't win. So while they're not necessarily just for kids anymore, they're not hardcore enough for certain games. Not hardcore? What the hell does that mean? Wii has the largest install base. Based on that alone, its the safest bet. Release a good game then see what happens.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Wii isn't hardcore enough
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 10:10:09 PM »
Grasshopper STudios better stop working on Fatal Frame immediately, didn't they get the memo?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Wii isn't hardcore enough
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 10:47:48 PM »
That'd be like releasing a 2 year port of RE on the Wii and expecting it to do good with the lack of a hardcore user base!

Oh wait . . .

If it's not one excuse it's another with these companies. Only when other companies start to make buckets of money with "hardcore" games will they have no excuses left.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 10:57:58 PM »
There's an even funnier quote in the article:

AY: In terms of technology, it's impossible to fit a Silent Hill type of game into the DS format. In terms of the handheld market, DS is much bigger. But with the Light/Slim version, PSP sales are picking up. So that's why we chose PSP.

GO YOU BIG RED PSP!

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 11:42:04 PM »
Hardcore = blast processing = rich Corinthian leather

It's really wild to see people's perceptions permanently altered by mythical buzzwords.
Not just flowers,I love them all like weeds and     veget
able.

I want to do garden forever.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 12:53:38 AM »
Yet another reason to hate Konami more than Capcom.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 01:42:23 AM »
Lol sales of PSP picking up . . . yeah it'll soon catch up to the DS sales in 100 years if its the only system available ever from this point on.

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 04:33:21 AM »
The PSP is only selling better because of FF: CC and the new PSP-2000 + colors.
I did buy one in Tokyo (the Felicia Blue one) because it's cheap there and there was a couple of games I wanted to try on it.
But as soon as the colors are gone, the DS will be first again, I'm pretty sure about that.
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline Nintendawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 05:59:40 AM »
This is getting really old really quickly. The system has been dominating almost consistently since the time of its launch and developers are still afraid to devlop for the system because its "not hardcore enough". Why don't they go out on a limb and just try it making something for the system. Don't these guys know that their adding fuel to the fire by not developing games and proving other companies wrong?
Laughing at you 'cause you can't shoot the duck EST 1985

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 06:55:05 AM »
Its ok, let their game bomb on the PS3 and PSP, and then we'll see what excuses they have then.
Especially when they rush to make a half assed Wii port to try and recoup cost.

Fake Quote:

We are only gonna support PS3 because we realize that sales are really gonna pick up by Christmas 2009 and PS3 will be in the lead WW in 2010

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 08:17:22 AM »
hardcore doesnt mean mature damnit,
it mean deep as opposed to shallow.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 08:47:41 AM »
It's the vendetta. There's no other reason.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2007, 08:55:57 AM »
Konami OFFICIALLY hates Nintendo now...

Seriously, outside the Castlevania games they haven't supported  the DS well enough, even though its the most popular handheld out there. Now, not only are they making small, cheap games for the Wii they are constantly crapping all over it with comments like "people will get tired playing it" and "it isn't hardcore enough". And they refuse to leave Sony even if they are going to lose a lot of money on PS3 games.

This is ridiculous.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2007, 10:31:16 AM »
He might be generalizing, but how are 3rd party hardcore (non-casual) game sales doing? (stats? comparisons?)
"wow."

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2007, 10:38:21 AM »

Originally posted by: BigJim
He might be generalizing, but how are 3rd party hardcore (non-casual) game sales doing? (stats? comparisons?)

Well Resident Evil 4 last time anyone checked had over 800,000 copies worldwide.  Considering it's a violent, M rated title just like the Silent Hill games it shows that there is an audience on the Wii for these games.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Amodaus1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2007, 10:46:30 AM »

Originally posted by: pap64

Seriously, outside the Castlevania games they haven't supported  the DS well enough, even though its the most popular handheld out there. Now, not only are they making small, cheap games for the Wii they are constantly crapping all over it with comments like "people will get tired playing it" and "it isn't hardcore enough". And they refuse to leave Sony even if they are going to lose a lot of money on PS3 games.

This is ridiculous.

Lunar knights, Contra 4, there are other games too i just don't know them off the top of my head. Although I agree they are supporting the PSP alittle too much considering its software sales (the installed base is respectable, but the software sales are low, low enough to warrant a ps2 publishing over psp every time)

It'd be nice if konami started to release some new IPs on the ds, that i feel like they are droping the ball on. The development costs and the installed base warrants exploration rather than the conservative approach, but i'll still take contra 4, and they really should release sympony and castlevania X on the ds too.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2007, 11:17:19 AM »

Originally posted by: Amodaus1

Originally posted by: pap64

This is ridiculous.

Lunar knights, Contra 4, there are other games too i just don't know them off the top of my head. Although I agree they are supporting the PSP alittle too much considering its software sales (the installed base is respectable, but the software sales are low, low enough to warrant a ps2 publishing over psp every time)

It'd be nice if konami started to release some new IPs on the ds, that i feel like they are droping the ball on. The development costs and the installed base warrants exploration rather than the conservative approach, but i'll still take contra 4, and they really should release sympony and castlevania X on the ds too.

I admit I forgot about Lunar Knights and Contra 4, but its still annoying that Konami is dropping all support on the Sony consoles. If all they want to do is be fair they should take a cue from Square and evenly develop for all consoles, and that means dropping the occasional megaton on the DS or Wii.

In fact, if they want to be fair they should make at least ONE Metal Gear game on the DS or Wii. When they do that then I'll believe they are being fair.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Kenology

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2007, 11:22:42 AM »
We've had this discussion before and I maintain that it is quite obvious how Konami feels about the Wii given the nature of the content they've provided thus far (Elebits and Dewy).
Wii Friend Code: 6761 9883 7072 2526 - PM me your Wii Friend code and I'll add you. 
BWii: 429 612 278 949
MOH:H2 EA Nation username: Kenology
Endless Ocean: 1667-3301-0310
SSBB: 2964-8266-3925 - profile name = Ken

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2007, 11:42:17 AM »
*shrug* Konami is in Sony's camp. It's as simple as that.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2007, 11:55:14 AM »
It is too bad because I love the SH series, it is far superior IMO to the RE series mainly because of the psychological horror over boo scares. With that said the series has hit a bit of a downslide and I think the Wiimote controls would be PERFECT to re imagine the series again.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2007, 12:42:31 PM »
I'd take Contra 4 over anything Konami has ever released on PSP, even The Dracula X Chronicles and I'm a Castlevania whore. Ironically, Contra is perhaps Konami's most ultra-hardcore series and recent impressions have the first level of Contra 4 being one of the hardest intro levels ever. So I find it odd that they'd choose DS as the platform for the first true sequel since Contra 3 if they really believe Nintendo platforms cater to the exact opposite audience.

The assumptions about Nintendo's audience are what frustrate me. A high-profile game will find its audience, especially on popular hardware.  The assumptions just don't add up and I feel that too many publishers are taking the "wait and see" approach. One brave publisher needs to take the plunge before they all do. For example, publishers didn't really start heavily supporting PS1 until games like Final Fantasy VII and Metal Gear Solid proved there was an audience for those kinds of games. So I think that's what needs to happen with Wii. There's definitely a feeling that its success can't last but that kind of thinking is counter-productive. The success will almost definitely continue if publishers support it. Not supporting it ultimately helps no one. Nintendo once again must support their platform almost entirely by themselves while 3rd parties make no money when they could be making a lot of money.  

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2007, 02:46:52 PM »
Does Nintendo need to tempt this one brave publisher with moneyhats?  
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2007, 03:06:52 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon

You can't buy loyalty with moneyhats. Plus it sounds like Konami is so far up Sony' arse that it cannot brush its teeth each morning.

Offline Galford

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2007, 06:39:39 PM »
Umm

What AY said is reflected in a large portion of the market.
In the first video interview from Famitus, the producer who is working on RE:UC stated they were making UC play on rails because it might be too hard for players in Japan.

The game was suppose to be like RE4 but was changed to the current version.

RE4 is an exception, not the rule.  
A popular game based a on popular franchise using a semi-modified engine.
Capcom could've sole 10k copies and still made a buck.
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2007, 06:39:41 PM »

Originally posted by: Shift Key

Originally posted by: Kairon

You can't buy loyalty with moneyhats. Plus it sounds like Konami is so far up Sony' arse that it cannot brush its teeth each morning.
It must be pretty crowded up there