Author Topic: Condition of Third Party Wii Support - Post TGS -  (Read 7683 times)

Offline Dzapa

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Hmm, nice post Kairon. I must agree with you on a lot of matters you discussed.  
"I will stand above you in heaven"

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Of interest is this report that the Wii actually has the most titles being released in Q4, a possible sign of burgeoning publisher and developer support in ways that traditional market watchers aren't likely to notice:

According to the report, which is part of Screen Digest’s new Games Bulletin service, publisher commitment is shifting significantly in favor of Nintendo’s Wii, with 86 titles scheduled for release in Q4, compared with 47 for Xbox 360 and 38 for PlayStation 3.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Kairon
Of interest is this report that the Wii actually has the most titles being released in Q4, a possible sign of burgeoning publisher and developer support in ways that traditional market watchers aren't likely to notice:

According to the report, which is part of Screen Digest’s new Games Bulletin service, publisher commitment is shifting significantly in favor of Nintendo’s Wii, with 86 titles scheduled for release in Q4, compared with 47 for Xbox 360 and 38 for PlayStation 3.

And how many of those games are YOU getting Kairon?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
I have about 21 more games on my buy list, DS and Wii combined...

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Nintendo forked over the year and the generation.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
I thought this was relevant:

Developers worried about Wii and think it will only benefit Nintendo

But hasn't this always been a criticism of the Wii? These developers are afraid of the same thing NFans are: that it won't be sustained. However, Capcom taking the plunge with Monster Hunter 3 should do something to quell the fears of Japan-centric industry watchers. Monster Hunter 3 sells in Japan, and is ignored elsewhere, it shows Capcom betting on the Wii as the dominant console in Japan, American and European markets be damned!

Offline denjet78

• View Profile
More or less this is basically just some developer saying that they're afraid that they won't be able to compete with Nintendo's own software. Wouldn't that be an issue with them and not Nintendo?

The whole argument is beyond suspect. If what is said here were to actually be taken at face value then there shouldn't be any developers today beyond Nintendo. They're the ones who started the new video games industry with the NES. How could anyone have possibly been able to compete with them on their own system against their own blockbuster software? Obviously they all went bankrupt. *rolls eyes* Thing is, the NES era was probably the most profitable era for developers ever.

It's just smoke and mirrors from close minded developers that are terrified that they'll fall between the cracks if they have to stand up to actually competent software... or that they'll actually have to spend money *GASP!* in order to become competent themselves.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
That may be true denjet, but it's still a psychological factor in discouraging developers to make games for Nintendo. Remember, there are more Dave Perry's out there in the industry than there are NWR forumers.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
What upsets me the most is NIntendo is giving 3rd parties chance after chance to show their stuff, heck this holiday season is a PERFECT example of that. Guess what? They still aren't taking advantage of the opportunity except for a select few, and even they aren't going all out with their games.

Offline denjet78

• View Profile

That may be true denjet, but it's still a psychological factor in discouraging developers to make games for Nintendo. Remember, there are more Dave Perry's out there in the industry than there are NWR forumers.

The thing is, it's a factor that's been around since the NES era and one which developers have been more than adequately aware of since then. But now it's an issue? And it's an issue that cannot be resolved short of Nintendo ceasing to make games all together. We all know that's never going to happen. Developers are either going to have to get over their fears and insecurities, or greed and pride as the case most likely is, and start making games for Wii or they're going to find themselves further and further away from solvency as PS3 and 360 development costs continue to skyrocket.

Nintendo is going to continue moving forward and forward thinking developers will move with them. The dinosaurs, like the unnamed developer who is referenced in this article, are going to go extinct.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Or they'll splinter off into and onto a seperate market/console. That's why I personally watch the smaller and medium sized developers: they're more likely to be agile. and less likely to be "dinosaurs."

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile

Or they'll splinter off into and onto a seperate market/console. That's why I personally watch the smaller and medium sized developers: they're more likely to be agile. and less likely to be "dinosaurs."

But what if you are a big fan of dinosaurs?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Star Fox adventures ruined me on dinosaurs.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile

But what if you are a big fan of dinosaurs?

Then you'd play more DS Games.

Offline Chiller

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
That article reminds me of that tech article in the thread pertaining to the Wii's hardware capabilities.  It seems less like an article of concern, and more like an underhanded attempt to take shots at Nintendo.  Not to sound paranoid, but the more I read these types of articles, the more I am convinced that there are a bunch of bitter, incredulous developers, hardware junkies, and the like, all with a chip on their shoulders due to the success of the Wii.  Of course, it comes with being in a top position, no matter what.  However, they all really seem to be trying to save face after months of pre-launch doubt about how well the Wii would fare, and general mockery of the whole concept.  It is like some kind of mantra for them: "The bubble will burst, the bubble will burst, the bubble will burst..."  They all seem to think that the hardware will be exposed, the novelty will wear off, and that they will never be able to compete with price drops, while never accounting for gameplay, and enjoyability.  Sure, it is possible, but so far I fail to see evidence that this will occur in the cataclysmic manner they suggest.  Sure, it will eventually slow down, but that it inevitable as every console progresses through its normal life cycle.  But, they will probably chalk that up to Nintendo's failure to see the big picture, too.
"Mweeeep"
Charles Seeburg

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile

Developers worried about Wii and think it will only benefit Nintendo
Isn't Capcom's stock at an all-time high?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Sounds like Nintendo needs to start working on psychological barriers to companies, now that they've handled the psychological barriers of non-gamers.