Author Topic: REVIEWS: The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass  (Read 45598 times)

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE: REVIEWS: The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
« Reply #100 on: October 07, 2007, 10:41:59 PM »

Compare this to fighting off all the little monsters in a Zelda game, which reappear almost immediately and do not help your character to grow in any way. That kind of stuff I find extremely tedious. I wish Zelda games didn't have monsters out in the field; I always end up running away from them anyway because it's not worth my time to kill them.

So, basically an RPG would be the same thing, except you're being FORCED to do the thing you dont feel like doing. How is that better?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 07, 2007, 11:10:22 PM »
You know, this review put me on the edge of not buying. Some people say the phantoms aren't an issue while I see noone in support of the review's position (GP doesn't count). Can I take that to mean the stealth sections are insignificant?

RE:REVIEWS: The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2007, 12:52:00 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
You know, this review put me on the edge of not buying. Some people say the phantoms aren't an issue while I see noone in support of the review's position (GP doesn't count). Can I take that to mean the stealth sections are insignificant?

The thing is, there's no real stealth to be seen.  The phantoms can be run from, and there are always safe zones to run to.  I've actually used strategy of timing where the phantoms are to run past them.  The risk of being caught isn't so great that you live in fear of them.
Life is good

Offline planetidiot

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2007, 02:20:01 AM »
I love the exploration elements of zelda, but couldn't stand wind waker.  Someone needs to tell Nintendo sailing around on a boat isn't fun unless maybe you are actually on the boat and like sailing.  I'm already irritated that there's boat nonsense in this game, but admittedly it's less annoying than wind waker.  Plus I take the train into work every day now so I really don't have anything better to do that watch a stupid boat.

I think the control is fine, didn't take any time at all to get used to it.  I especially love the boomerang, which is awesome for shredding grass and finding money and hearts.  Another plus for the game is unlike others in the series, you don't fill up your rupies in the first 30 seconds of the game.  And *gasp* there's actually expensive things to buy with them!  Unlike wind waker.

Nintendo still hasn't released the reigns and you are hand-held through the game, but I guess getting the freedom of Zelda 1 & 2 again just won't ever happen.  It's annoying to the point that as you figure something out, the stupid fairy pipes in and explains what you have to do.  

That aside, it hasn't infuriated me like wind waker did in the first few days and I'm enjoying it so far.

Originally posted by: optimisticlimbo

The thing is, there's no real stealth to be seen.  The phantoms can be run from, and there are always safe zones to run to.  I've actually used strategy of timing where the phantoms are to run past them.  The risk of being caught isn't so great that you live in fear of them.

I'm worried that it will get worse later, but so far I agree with you.  They haven't been any real threat so far.  Just run, they're slow.

Offline stedaman

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2007, 02:58:55 AM »
Ok having played this game now for a worthy lengthy time...I enforce my opinion that this game is one of the best on the ds.

Yes, its open to players who have never experienced Zelda before, but its still fantastic for the hardcore Zelda players. The whole use of the stylus
in which you use in in numerous ways is fantastic. The movement has been nailed while using the stylus, it works really well.

The game may be a tad easy, but its still pleasuable to me. I love the game not being too difficult as you can actually enjoy the game for its fantastic gameplay without getting frustrated enough to quit.

The sound is fantastic...the use of the mic and the whole music of the game fits perfectly, its brillant...sorry a 6 you say for sound? absolute tosh!
At least a 9. The gameplay is also fantastic with an arrange of intelllectual uses for the stylus which I wont disclose for spoliers. Again how can teh gameplay warrent a 6.5....i'm stunned...10 for me.

It also lasts about as long as most game do....and if you take your time and actually not power through the game and enjoy it for its creativeness and greatness..then it will last along time. On top of that, it has wifi with a simplistic game which is actually extremely good. You can have alot of fun with the game online through wifi...which carries the lastability further.

Again the score for lastability was far too low..and so I give it a 9.

Seriously I hope this review didnt put anyone off buying the game..it's definatly worth the purchase. I would say it's one of the best DS games out there.Most reviews give this a  9+...including gonintendo which gave a 9.8!

I would say a  9.6. So anyone in doubt..don't be!

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2007, 04:25:50 AM »
Here are some of my thoughts on the game, in a handy "Strengths/Weaknesses" list format!

Strengths...

1. Stylus control (when employing the shortcuts) is streamlined and AWESOME. When I first started, I had an issue with my hand being in the way sometimes, but I've gotten over that since.

2. Graphics are similarly AWESOME. This game is pushin' the polys hard (both screens, as someone said), and the same style which won (nearly) everyone over in WW is back in full force here. Excellent art direction and technical execution.

3. Memorable characters. I don't get the complaint about this. I can list off over a dozen totally memorable and hilarious characters. Don't make me do it, because I will!

4. HARDCORE GAMEPLAY OPPORTUNITIES ABOUND. Yes, I'm talking about the Ocean King Temple. This is set up for you to do speed runs, see how fast you can get through, what shortcuts you can find, etc. I'm nearly through the game just got the Phantom Blade or whatever it's called, and I've had a great time trying to improve my time. Plus, there is a HUGELY USEFUL shortcut which allows you to skip like half of the dungeon once you're fast enough, while retaining your time up to that point. If anything, Zach, maybe the problem is that you're not hardcore enough for this game. Besides the OKT (as I will now refer to it), you've got sidequests out the wazoo. There are mini games to play, characters to unite, romantic intrigue to thwart(?!), force gems to find, ship parts to find and customize with, loot to salvage, timed mazes to run, fish to catch... need I go on? With all that, I don't miss heart container pieces one teensy bit. It IS true that this game is made easier with the stylus, but that doesn't mean it's not hardcore. In fact, despite it being made easier, I've died more times in this game than in either TP or WW.

5. Sailing is fun and breaks up the land-based action. I wish the weather/day system from WW was still intact here, but it's a minor thing really. There's a ton to do on the water, and you're rewarded for it with useful items too.

6. This Zelda tries a lot of different things, from sailing to powering up your fairy companions to stylus controls, to new collectibles (force gems, ship parts, ...), to story details no Ganon!, lots of humor (maybe the most in a Zelda game? I've laughed out loud more than once – like when Link goes to hold up the Phantom blade and Oshus just snatches it away as the typical Zelda "pick-up" music starts to play, and Link is just standing there in the pose, looking confused to new uses for familiar items grappling hook tight-rope walking and catapulting, anyone? how 'bout the hammer? to a temporary dungeon companion who can -gasp- attack and fend for himself??? to a new sort of multiplayer. All of these changes – ALL OF THEM – are great and welcome, and serve to freshen the Zelda gameplay/formula.

7. Engaging, creative, and FUN boss battles. But this is a given for a Zelda game. I was recently really impressed with the Ancient Stone Soldier boss battle.

Weaknesses/Quibbles:

1. The compositions are, for the most part, top-notch. However, I've run into more than a few occasions where the songs loop way too quickly/often. I'm thinking, running around outside when there are enemies about, and some dungeons. I wish there was a larger variety of tunes, because what's there is really good.

2. Missed opportunities with regard to the storyline continuity. Like someone else said, this a pretty unique in that it's a direct sequel. However, it would have been immensely cool to see more than just passing references (the intro is great and the Prince of Red Lions, "Want to be my apprentice? Good, your title is 'Half a Hero'" guy is pretty funny). Why not make the pirates show up again somewhere along the line? Even that small thread of continuity would have been welcome.

So! As you might guess, I disagree with many points of the review and its final score. However, I also disagree with the idea of writing a review with the idea of "what the average gamer will think of it." A review is a personal take on the game, and this was Zach's. I hope NWR gets a few more reviews of this game up soon to give a (hopefully) different viewpoint on it. It's unfortunate that Zach didn't have as good a time as many of us are having with it.

For me, I can see me finishing it, and then going back to play it again one day, maybe one day soon. The only other Zelda game I've done that with is WW. I guess it's fitting that the next game I might do that with is WW's sequel.  
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2007, 04:35:41 AM »
As Nintendo fans we have to finally come to terms with the fact that Nintendo will NEVER give the smallest ammount of care for continuity in their games, be it mario, zelda or metroid.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 08, 2007, 05:42:29 AM »

Originally posted by: mantidor
As Nintendo fans we have to finally come to terms with the fact that Nintendo will NEVER give the smallest ammount of care for continuity in their games, be it mario, zelda or metroid.

That's not true. Nintendo always gives the smallest amount of care for continuity

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2007, 10:37:33 AM »
From what I've played so far this game is great, lots of fun, albeit I'm stuck on a puzzle now I'm sure I will find my way through as usual.

Although I just had 2 Battle matches with UncleBob and that too was fun, I was quite unexpectant at how fun the multiplayer mode might turn out to be but I'm glad it is fun, however it would have been cool if they would have included the option to play 4 (1 Link per player) Vs. 4 (1 Shadow Guard per player), unless I'm mistaken of course, then we can only Battle 1 Vs. 1 right?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2007, 10:43:54 AM »
Unfortunately, it's only 1 on 1 battles...

I *love* the battle mode.  It's almost as fun as Four Swords on the GBA was.  I still wish we had a version of that online...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2007, 10:46:27 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k

Ok that is stupid, so I don't count, even though I've been a Zelda fan for a long time? The stealth sections are tedious, pointless, and I'm sorry timed events are not hardcore either as was suggested by another poster. Timed Metal Gear Shallow can stay far away from Zelda, complete with vision cones. Another problem with the dungeon is that you have to open the same doors, get the same keys and it gets longer, so you are repeating the same thing over, and over and over again, heck if you have read any of the other reviews on the game, most comment about the tediousness of it.

It really does gnaw at me that whenever someone criticizes an aspect of the game, whether it be the ridiculous timed dungeon, that they aren't "hardcore" enough to appreciate it. That is perhaps the most over used insult that really has no meaning besides trying to diffuse an argument.  
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 08, 2007, 10:48:03 AM »

Originally posted by: Mashiro

Tell that to Mashiro.

Wait. what? Why tell me? I just listed some casual games that had tedious qualities to them. I didn't say it belonged to one or the other.

Lol, I meant Mantidor. Sorry to insult you like that!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2007, 10:48:25 AM »
I recommend anyone on the fence to wait for Kairon's definitive review of the game before making any hasty decisions that they may regret in the future!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 08, 2007, 10:51:19 AM »
Yeah my thoughts exactly on the Four Swords type of play being online...that's it, Nintendo has no choice but to do Four Swords V2.0 for the Wii (or DS) and it will have an online co-op (4 players) and versus ( 4 Links Vs. 4 Links) mode..."snap out of it Caliban *smack* ", I wonder why we still follow Nintendo the way we do if for nothing but slight dissapointments.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 08, 2007, 10:52:31 AM »
Because we couldn't survive Sega fandom.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2007, 10:54:50 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
I recommend anyone on the fence to wait for Kairon's definitive review of the game before making any hasty decisions that they may regret in the future!

Like not buying it?  
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 08, 2007, 10:58:56 AM »
Kairon, I read your post many times before I understood what you meant; but that is so true, what you said, it's like SEGA lost all their talented employees and now all we get is sh!t or nothing unless it's developed by a 3rd party for the SEGA brand, hopefully that won't happen to Nintendo, at least in the coming 20 years.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 08, 2007, 11:01:16 AM »

Originally posted by: Caliban
Kairon, I read your post many times before I understood what you meant; but that is so true, what you said, it's like SEGA lost all their talented employees and now all we get is sh!t or nothing unless it's developed by a 3rd party for the SEGA brand, hopefully that won't happen to Nintendo, at least in the coming 20 years.

Wait what is a good 3rd party developed game published by Sega?

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 08, 2007, 11:06:34 AM »
Sonic Rush.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 08, 2007, 01:10:43 PM »
Being the Thanksgiving holiday in Canada I was bored and decided to get this game.  It's really good and like five hours have gone by like nothing.  There's just one problem.  The controls SUCK.  I don't mind using the stylus for the boomerang and marking on the map. Stuff like that is fun.  But MOVING?  Why the hell did they think that moving with the stylus was a good idea?

Easy stuff like dodging rows of fire is a big pain in the butt now.  Swinging your sword is guess work.  Want to walk past the bomb flower?  Sorry you'll swing your sword into it causing it to explode in your face.  Want to swing your sword?  Well maybe you'll walk instead.  Who knows?

The d-pad or buttons are right there and SHOULD have been used as movement.  Then if they assigned R and L to your sword the game would control much better and allow for both righties and lefties.  But instead what I would consider an A game is only a B because the controls suck.  Hidden in here is a good Zelda game with clever use of the touchscreen but because Nintendo has to base their control setups on forcing their new ideas on us, instead of using what's best for each scenario, they blew it.  Figures.  Tinker with the controls a bit and this does for the touchscreen what Metroid Prime 3 does for the remote.  But the execution they chose comes across as g!mmicky which is a shame because there are some really cool ideas in here.

Imagine if Nintendo forced Retro is only use the remote and not the nunchuk and you'll get an idea of what Phantom Hourglass plays like.  If you like Zelda you'll probably like it but you have to be willing to deal with the controls.  It's a bizarre combination of clever touchscreen usage and forced touchscreen usage.  Best and worst use of the touchscreen ever.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 08, 2007, 01:14:21 PM »
Ian what do you think of the timed dungeon? BTW I have to disagree, while I do feel the touch controls take me out of the game a bit, I still think they are quite good except for rolling. Really I think it would have been perfect if they used a combination of traditional controls with the innovative touch moves such as the notes and boomerang.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #121 on: October 08, 2007, 02:14:09 PM »
That is a recipe for hand cramps.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline stedaman

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 08, 2007, 04:54:02 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Being the Thanksgiving holiday in Canada I was bored and decided to get this game.  It's really good and like five hours have gone by like nothing.  There's just one problem.  The controls SUCK.  I don't mind using the stylus for the boomerang and marking on the map. Stuff like that is fun.  But MOVING?  Why the hell did they think that moving with the stylus was a good idea?

Easy stuff like dodging rows of fire is a big pain in the butt now.  Swinging your sword is guess work.  Want to walk past the bomb flower?  Sorry you'll swing your sword into it causing it to explode in your face.  Want to swing your sword?  Well maybe you'll walk instead.  Who knows?

The d-pad or buttons are right there and SHOULD have been used as movement.  Then if they assigned R and L to your sword the game would control much better and allow for both righties and lefties.  But instead what I would consider an A game is only a B because the controls suck.  Hidden in here is a good Zelda game with clever use of the touchscreen but because Nintendo has to base their control setups on forcing their new ideas on us, instead of using what's best for each scenario, they blew it.  Figures.  Tinker with the controls a bit and this does for the touchscreen what Metroid Prime 3 does for the remote.  But the execution they chose comes across as g!mmicky which is a shame because there are some really cool ideas in here.

Imagine if Nintendo forced Retro is only use the remote and not the nunchuk and you'll get an idea of what Phantom Hourglass plays like.  If you like Zelda you'll probably like it but you have to be willing to deal with the controls.  It's a bizarre combination of clever touchscreen usage and forced touchscreen usage.  Best and worst use of the touchscreen ever.

I have no problem with the controls.....the whole use of the stylus is great...and creates a great experience. It's not really that difficult to dodge rows of fire is it?
You hit bombs by swinging your sword? That's strange because you need to circle the stylus to swing your sword which you cannot mistakenly do...

If your accidently hitting the bombs by pointing on them..then that's carelessness.

"Swinging your sword is guess work. Want to walk past the bomb flower? Sorry you'll swing your sword into it causing it to explode in your face." ........what??????????? , maybe its because you try to swing your sword in the bomb field to hit those mice things..not a good idea

"Want to swing your sword?  Well maybe you'll walk instead.  Who knows?"
Sounds like your trying to hit stuff from too far away and also missing the target with the stylus.
I can safely say the controls do not suck..and they have obviously speant alot of time making sure they are perfect..and they are.

Only slight issue is rolling, it takes getting used to. Someone mentioned tapping twice the edge of the screen before...but that doesn't work..... still only receptive to small circles for me.  

« Reply #123 on: October 08, 2007, 04:57:38 PM »
I think the controls are great except for rolling, those do indeed suck.  You have to be in motion, get to the edge of the screen, and then do the swirls.  Problem is, if it's a small area, you need to line up and get ready.
I actually think just moving movement to the d-pad/abxy wouldn't have been bad, leave everything else in tack, as is.  (Except for the face button shortcuts, of course)
Life is good

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 08, 2007, 06:09:24 PM »
"Ian what do you think of the timed dungeon?"

I don't mind it so far but I've only had to go in it twice now.

"That's strange because you need to circle the stylus to swing your sword which you cannot mistakenly do"

Uh no you draw a straight line between you are your target to swing a sword which you CAN mistakenly do while trying to drag your "cursor" to make yourself move.

"they have obviously speant alot of time making sure they are perfect."

More like spent a lot of time to make the controls work as well as they possibly can within the limiting touchscreen-only restriction they set upon themselves to "prove" how their new controller ideas are supposedly so brilliant.  I think they did a great job making the controls only use the touchscreen.  The problem was that was a STUPID design from day one.  Now they've got some really cool ideas in here and I really do like the game a whole lot but it's so blatantly obvious that the initial idea was "let's make a Zelda game that only uses the touchscreen".  Whether this idea logically made even the slightest bit of sense or not didn't matter.  I will give Nintendo huge credit in actually making this game not suck because anyone else would have made something unplayable.

Does anyone HONESTLY think that moving with the stylus is such a great idea?  Not that it works okay but that it's actually BETTER than using the d-pad would be?  I don't want "I think it's fine" I want to hear a reason why the touchscreen HAD to be used for moving.  Or how about a reason why the OPTION of the d-pad should not have been made available?