Author Topic: WARNING: Do NOT open the newest Nintendo Newsletter!  (Read 20539 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
WARNING: Do NOT open the newest Nintendo Newsletter!
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2003, 07:13:48 PM »
You know considering that what everyone THOUGHT was the spoiler wasn't the spoiler, Rick probably could have never mentioned anything and we would be none the wiser.  Odds are any of us that actually noticed anything wouldn't have realized we were having something so major blown until we saw it for ourselves in the game.  Anyway I'm now keeping the email and intend to look at it after I beat the game.

Nonetheless this is just really stupid and sloppy of Nintendo.  Silicon Knights should teach them a lesson in how to keep a game under wraps.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2003, 07:23:47 PM »
Well, I haven't opened my email since the first viewing I gave it, and I only noticed the one thing on my scanning of it.  I surmised what the second one was when people started talking about it in the thread, and SolidSamus confirmed it for me.  What the real spoiler is, I really don't know.

I have to wonder though, if it is really worth giving a big warning about.  People have scrutinized the email, and haven't found anything out of the ordinary.  The only people who seem to KNOW what the spoiler is are people who have played the game.  I wonder if Nintendo was just being tricky?  

So I am keeping my email too, but I would like to know how far into the game this thing happens, so that when I do get the game, I can look at it when I have played past that part.  
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2003, 07:24:43 PM »
I agree with the last post. I saw the pic and thought nothing of it, having never played the whole game, I didn't recognize that the pic is something that actually happens. Still, if this other thing is a spoiler, I still don't think it's a big deal.  
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Doppelganger

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2003, 07:28:35 PM »

Originally posted by: RickPowers
If you want to keep yourself from seeing any BIG Wind Waker Spoilers, DO NOT open the latest Nintendo newsletter sent by E-Mail. Just delete it. Trust us, you don't want to see this!

I have to say thanks for posting... I despise people who can't refrain from telling me how a movie ends.  It'd be even worse with a game I'm anticipating this much.  

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2003, 08:52:40 PM »
Yes, I probably could have kept my mouth shut and you would have been none the wiser.  However, I really tire of people telling me when I give a spoiler warning that it was really obvious and not a spoiler and not a big deal.  I wouldn't have warned you all off without good reason.

Regardless, that e-mail was an extremely poor decision by Nintendo.  There's just some things you should hold sacred.  Anything that happens in the last 10% of the game (and that's being extremely conservative), should be off-limits for stuff like this.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2003, 09:56:22 PM »
Rick, I wasn't criticizing you, I just didn't understand at first.  Anyways, thanks for clearing that up.

Offline Nintendo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2003, 10:31:05 PM »
F*CK!!

My Outlook goes to the latest new email by default and as I had already seen the first image and thought I had to browse the email for some new movie links... I... I... saw...

*cries*

I just hope I can forget about it before May 3rd
"What if everything you see is more than what you see - the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps

Offline Munky

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2003, 02:43:37 AM »

Originally posted by: RickPowers
The biggest hint I'm going to give those of you that just can't stop yourselves is that this newsletter gives away one of the best surprises in the game, and once you've seen it, you're NEVER going to be able to erase it from your memory, completely ruining the surprise.  Please ... just delete that e-mail.

I have a solution that I'm going to use. I'm going to keep the email, but not open it! And throughout the game, I'm going to try and guess what the surprise is, and once I'm finished with the game, I should know it by then, and then I'll open the email to see if I'm right.

Oh, and BTW, what's the subject of the email so I know not to open it?
The memory of a lost loved one remains with you always, but it's a wound that time heals. It's like a scar....it never really disappears, time just soothes the memory.

ChaoticMunky.com

Offline bryanee

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2003, 04:10:12 AM »
cheers for the warning, ill be careful when i recieve the newsletter, i think i might of already got it and deleted it though cuz i never read the newsletters
That lady is all kinds of naked!!!!!

Offline JoeFalco

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2003, 05:21:24 AM »
I don't get the big N newsletter but thanks for the warning by the way.  I'll just have to tip-toe around anything mentioning the Wind Waker on the Web.  It wouldn't surprise me if EGM has a screen or two from the game that's a big spoiler.  It's happened before with Soul Reaver if I remember correctly.
The sun never sets...on those who ride into it.  We just gotta keep going!

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2003, 05:32:10 AM »
Just don't look at the poster in the EGM issue with a Wind Waker review.  The review is fine. . . it gives away a few things, but nothing you don't already know or care about.  Nothing important.  The poster gives all the bosses, how to defeat them, songs and how to use them (and maybe how to get them), and things about a few other items, like a camera and the tingle tuner.  Tells you how to get and use those.  The biggest disappointment for me was knowing what the bosses were ahead of time.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2003, 08:49:13 AM »
I honestly noticed the BIG spoiler first, and then the "minor" one.

Either way, I am so disappointed that Nintendo did this.  I got the call from Babbage's, and I'm not picking up the game.  It's one thing to have a 2 hour movie ruined for you, since you pay only $5-8 to see it.  But to have the ending of a $50 game ruined is totally different.  I don't want to play the game anymore.  It's pointless.

I spent $15 on my pre-order, but I really don't care, since I got Master Quest out of it, and that's worth it.  Since I know how OOT already ends, I might as well just play that today, since it's the exact same situation with WW now.
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

Offline JoeFalco

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2003, 10:18:38 AM »

Originally posted by: matt oz
I honestly noticed the BIG spoiler first, and then the "minor" one.

Either way, I am so disappointed that Nintendo did this.  I got the call from Babbage's, and I'm not picking up the game.  It's one thing to have a 2 hour movie ruined for you, since you pay only $5-8 to see it.  But to have the ending of a $50 game ruined is totally different.  I don't want to play the game anymore.  It's pointless.

I spent $15 on my pre-order, but I really don't care, since I got Master Quest out of it, and that's worth it.  Since I know how OOT already ends, I might as well just play that today, since it's the exact same situation with WW now.

You're not going to play the game anymore just because you know the ending?

I'm sure it sucks to know the ending but aren't you curious at all about what the game is like and how well the game plays?
The sun never sets...on those who ride into it.  We just gotta keep going!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2003, 10:38:05 AM »
I was looking at the Zelda wallpaper I downloaded from Zelda.com and I just noticed something that may be a huge spoiler.  It might be the same one from the email or I've just become paranoid.  Anyway it's the orange wallpaper if anyone's wondering.  It might be a good idea for Rick to check those wallpapers out and see if they're safe too.  I'm just not trusting anything from Nintendo anymore.

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2003, 10:53:14 AM »
Ok. I'm glad I'm not signed up for this lil' shin dig. However, I am a subscriber to NP. My question: is this notorious spoiler pic in the next issue? If it is, I'm gonna burn it the moment it defiles my mailbox.
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2003, 11:28:12 AM »
ha, at least you have something to burn.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2003, 12:24:58 PM »
"You're not going to play the game anymore just because you know the ending?

I'm sure it sucks to know the ending but aren't you curious at all about what the game is like and how well the game plays? "

I know the game is great, and yadda yadda, but most p/reviews I've read said that it isn't a huge departure from the gameplay of OOT.  Link may have a new ship, but he still has the same weapons, and I'm sure the puzzles are similar.

It's like my movie analogy.  Would you pay $8 or $10 to go to the movies to see a movie whose ending you already know?  A movie you were looking forward to for a long time?  A movie whose previous incarnations have been so amazing, that you want to experience the new one how the director wanted you to?

Now to me, Wind Waker is a $50 movie whose ending I already know, and I don't want to waste 20 hours of my life to get to something I already know.  I might as well just play OOT again; I know how it ends, and I've already paid for it.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2003, 01:40:55 PM »
You're completely wrong.  Almost every review I've read (and that's a lot, believe me) has said that this is very different from OoT, having new items, better puzzles, many more side quests, a much better storyline, and more in depth gameplay.  I think that it'll blow OoT away, and I adore that game.

And yes, I would pay money to see the movie, even if I do know the ending.  There's always something worthwhile inbetween.  I write stories and stuff, and though I usually know my ending ahead of time, I still take the time to fill up the middle as effectively and as entertainingly as possible.  And I enjoy doing it.  Perhaps your problem is that since you've seen someone live, you figure you've lived.  You're utterly wrong.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2003, 05:18:33 PM »
Yeah, I saw "it" before I came to the site...They sent me the blasted e-mail and I read it already.  It's screwed that Nintendo would do something like this, but it won't stop me at all from buying the game.
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power...its burning grip tells me to defeat you!!!"

-Domon, G Gundam

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2003, 07:20:47 PM »
I have to wonder about a person who won't play the game because he knows something about the ending.  I played through Master Quest even though I knew how it would end.  lol.

Besides, I am sure that most of you don't play Zelda for the story.  

Btw, the newest newsletter from NOE (Yes, I subscribe to both), has a spoiler right in the subject line.  I have not opened it yet for fear of something greater on the inside.  I suggest warning people about that too.

Offline K-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2003, 08:06:11 PM »
Well, I am glad to say that I, read the e-mail, looked at the pictures, I didn't watch the movie. And I did not see 1 spoiler. But now I wish I didn't delete the e-mail so I coan look back at it after I beat the game.
Australia -4- Life

i know who you are...
...the leader of my soul...
...you can't kill me...
...im immortal!!!

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2003, 08:10:53 PM »
Post your email adress.  When I am done the game, I will look at the spoiler, and forward you the newsletter.  

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2003, 08:06:40 AM »
If you haven't seen the contents of the newsletter, then you have no right to say anything.

The spoiler contained in the newsletter was huge.  And when I say that, I mean HUGE.  It changes the dynamics of the entire series.

It's not like I'm never gonna play the game.  I just refuse to pay $50 for a game that's been ruined.  Maybe if I find it on eBay one day for $20 or less, I'll buy it.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2003, 08:38:46 AM »
Having played through the Japanese version, I would still say that you ought to get this game now.  What was shown is a downright stupid revelation, but it by no means ruins the game - or even that scene.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Gharakh

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2003, 11:36:50 AM »
matt oz you got some issues man. you need to just chill about the story. and about that movie analogy, how many people that read LOTR books went to see the movies? i'm guessing most of them did. it doesn't ruin it at all. don't you want to know how that spoiler came about? what the events were leading up to it? not to mention all the great gameplay you'll be missing out on. but if that's your choice then fine. personally i'm still going to enjoy this game as i enjoyed OoT.