Author Topic: REVIEWS: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption  (Read 20974 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
REVIEWS: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
« on: September 03, 2007, 07:16:39 AM »
Could this game be the best in the series?  The best of what series?
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/reviewArt.cfm?artid=14332

"Nintendo's Epic Trilogy Concludes…"  And so it does.  Corruption may fall right into the middle of the overall Metroid timeline, but it is also certainly the conclusion of the Metroid Prime games and their Phazon saga.  Prior to its release, many fans (including myself) wondered if Retro Studios might be veering too far into the first-person shooter genre, compromising some of the adventure elements that made the Prime games so unusual and compelling.  The answer there is a resounding "no".  There was also some measure of worry about the game's story and presentation, what with the extended dialogue scenes, introduction of voice acting, added control of Samus's ship, and involvement of new bounty hunter characters.  Those fears, too, will vanish after the first hour of the game, as nearly all of the game after that introductory sequence is presented in the same way as the first two Metroid Prime games.    

However, a few things dawned on me as I played through this final chapter in Retro's saga.  Elements such as voice acting have been around in limited form since Super Metroid.  Extended dialogue (in text) was done years ago in Metroid Fusion.  The other bounty hunters turn out to be not such a big deal after all, because Samus can't really interact with them in complex way without speaking herself.  But if you look at the major presentation differences between the 2D Metroid games and Retro's Prime games, the biggest one by far is the use of scanning to deliver information about the worlds, characters, and plots.  Of course, this mechanic was introduced back in the first Metroid Prime game, and that made me realize just how much Retro Studios was already expanding the Metroid universe back in 2001.  From the very start, this untested development studio was bold enough to create a new planet for Samus to explore, to develop an extensive back story for the game that elaborated and greatly expanded the series canon, and to devise a new force of evil that could not be contained to a single game.  With their second game, Retro introduced the idea of limited beam weapon ammunition, created entirely new upgrade abilities that wouldn't even make sense in two dimensions, and added direct interactions with other living, sentient beings.  By comparison, the changes introduced in Corruption are no more dramatic or important; they are incremental, natural progressions of what Retro Studios was already doing.    

Now, the most interesting thing I realized when viewing this trilogy as a whole and recognizing all the cumulative changes to the original 2D games is that Metroid Prime could now be viewed as a parallel series, inspired by the main Metroid games but quite separate.  Corruption, because it has added its own deviations in addition to those inherited from the previous two Prime games, is particularly unrecognizable as a Metroid game.  That is to say, it is still based upon the core ideas of exploratory gameplay and expandable character abilities, but otherwise the links to Super Metroid and its ilk are quite superficial.  In my mind, the Metroid Prime series is now as distinct from the Metroid games as are the last decade of Castlevania games.  This is not to attack in any way the quality of the Prime series; I just find it fascinating that I can now think of, and defend, the Prime series as being largely distinct from the not-Prime series.  The point is simply that Retro Studios should be given credit not just for updating a beloved franchise in 3D, not just for providing the most beautiful and immersive games across two Nintendo consoles, but for creating a unique and original property that goes far beyond the source material.  The Metroid Prime games deserve to stand on their own merits and not be endlessly compared to the original series.    

With all that out of the way, let me say that Corruption is a brilliant game and easily the best reason to own a Wii for anyone who wants more out of the system than just bowling or tennis.  The new control method is phenomenal, and I would argue that it is superior to both the dual analog setup and the mouse/keyboard setup used in most other first-person games.  It's just as responsive, and yet more natural than those other methods because you are literally pointing your hand to the spot you want to shoot.  The button layout is very thoughtful (and partially customizable).  Retro Studios made the smart choice of stacking your beam upgrades, which both simplifies the controls and eliminates frequent beam switching as a minor annoyance from the previous two games.  The addition of a Spring Ball-like hop is also very welcome, as it slightly speeds up the pace of Morph Ball puzzles.  On the subject of pacing, the only step backwards in the entire game is with the loading times between rooms.  Maybe it's due to the larger disc size of Wii games, but sometimes you'll be left waiting for ten seconds before the next door will open, and it can be distracting.  Other times, doors will open instantly, so it definitely depends on the size of the area you're in and the one you're headed into.    

Blamed on the early demos and most of the screenshots released by Nintendo, you couldn't be blamed for thinking that Corruption looks exactly the same as its predecessors.  Seeing the final version in motion is a different matter.  There are tons of subtle (and occasionally not so subtle) touches that would never be possible on GameCube hardware, while the new widescreen option is a great feature for those who can use it.  Corruption obviously can't compete with Xbox 360 and PS3 games on technical terms, but Retro Studios has come through yet again with stellar art direction that makes you completely forget about the Wii's technical limitations.  One of the most amazing things about all three Metroid Prime games is that they don't really recycle art.  Every room in every game –hundreds in all—looks different or has unique elements that make it visually distinct from the surrounding rooms.  This accomplishment is even more pronounced in Corruption.  The environments are so easily recognizable that I rarely had to use the in-game map to get around, except in one level where the map is broken into several chunks connected by long railways that branch off in multiple directions.    

One thing almost universally loathed in the first two Prime games is the dreaded "fetch quest".  This was a lame attempt to make the game longer by forcing you to backtrack across the entire game, looking for items with no effect except to unlock the final boss area.  Thankfully, Corruption's variation of the fetch quest is dramatically streamlined, and depending on how you play the game throughout, you may not have to backtrack at all.  Not only is it possible to find all of the fetch items in the course of normal exploration, but you can actually use these pseudo-keys in any order, and some of them are optional. You can even partially complete the sequence to come back later to finish it.  In other words, the required fetch quest is now much more flexible, and it actually feels like a valid and enjoyable part of the game.    

One last thing I have to praise is the level of originality in the new upgrades for Samus.  As loyal readers may know, I criticized the otherwise brilliant Metroid Fusion because it did so little to capitalize on the Samus character's development with new gameplay additions.  Nintendo spliced our heroine's DNA with that of her greatest nemesis, and the only truly new upgrade to come out of that unholy union was… Diffusion Missiles.  Retro Studios has done far, far better with backing up Samus's corruption by Phazon with several cool new abilities that significantly change how the game is played.  One or two of the upgrades still feel like glorified keys, but all of them at least have some odd combat utilities if you experiment enough.  Corruption even revives and tweaks a couple of lousy abilities from past Metroid games, converting them into surprisingly fun and interesting upgrades.    

I won't bother to offer consumer-level advice for a game of this caliber.  You either own the game already or should be strongly considering it due to peer pressure and/or critical consensus.  Metroid Prime 3: Corruption is a true gamer's game, a lovingly crafted science-fiction magnum opus, a showcase title not only for excellent motion controls but also stunning artwork that rivals anything in gaming.  Play it, love it, and start dreaming of the next project from Retro Studios, whatever it may be.

Pros:

• Unbelievable production values
  •  
  • Improved pacing and great new upgrades
  •  
  • New controls and presentation do not obstruct the core experience
  •  
  • Continues to stretch the boundaries of the series

•        Cons:

• Occasionally long load times
  •  
  • Map screen can be frustrating to manipulate

•                Graphics:  9.5
           It doesn't get much better than this on Wii.  Corruption looks like its GameCube predecessors on a fundamental level, but now there are widescreen mode, bloom lighting, particle effects, better textures, and more intricate models.  More importantly, the art design is just as insane as you'd expect from Retro Studios, showcasing strange architecture and mixing organic natural areas with more sci-fi motifs than ever.  It's a beautiful game, and that goes far beyond its technical accomplishments.

Sound:  9.5
           An excellent soundtrack creates moods for every situation; when Retro wants you to feel creeped out, the music has a way of making that happen.  Many songs use 2001-esque wordless vocalizations for an authentic sci-fi touch.  This may be one of the most extensive uses of voice acting in any Nintendo game so far, but the quality is great, and the writing for the actors is believable and fitting.

Control: 10.0
           Yes, this is the best way to control first-person games on any platform.  A few other Wii games have attempted a similar setup, but Corruption is the first game to nail it.  Other gesture controls are fun and immersive; I never had any problem with them.  The limited button customization and sensitivity adjustments are highly welcome.

Gameplay: 10.0
           Corruption is similar to Metroid Fusion in that you are always being given missions by another character, and this helps to push you forward and not get too lost.  Unlike Fusion, this game never locks you out of other areas, so you can explore freely at any time, and there are many reasons to do so.  The shooting elements are better than ever, but they do not take over the game or make it feel like less of an adventure.  The new upgrades are fantastic, even if a couple of them aren't used enough.

Lastability:  8.0
           Corruption is satisfying, but not remarkably long.  (I finished in 17 hours with 100% item completion.)  There are two harder difficulty levels, and the quest for bonus credits to unlock art and music may actually get you to play through the game twice.

Final:  9.5
           Corruption isn't a game made for everyone, but it is made for anyone reading this review.  If we could make four or five clones of every person at Retro Studios and send them out to work on different projects of the same quality, Wii really would be catering to core gamers as much as it is to the casual market.  This is a must-play adventure that finally shows what the Wii hardware and controllers can really do.  More than that, it's a culmination of one of the gaming world's greatest achievements in art and design.      

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
    • Score: 34
      • View Profile
    RE: REVIEWS: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
    « Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 07:31:49 AM »
    Great review. Can't wait to get my hands on this.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 08:22:31 AM »
    I disagree with lastability...The bosses have been so fantastic that I'm going to be starting up a new game as soon as I've finished!

10!  It's a 10!  =D
    ~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Patchkid15

• NWR Staff
    • Score: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 08:28:42 AM »
    i am so sad i am a little farther then half. and i just broke my wrist. now i cant finish the game for awhile.
    but i totally agree with this review.  

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • Score: 3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 08:59:19 AM »
    I agree with Bill, the boss fights alone will make you want to play the game over and over again because of how amazing they are.
    I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
      • View Profile
    RE:REVIEWS: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
    « Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 08:59:56 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
    I disagree with lastability...The bosses have been so fantastic that I'm going to be starting up a new game as soon as I've finished!

10!  It's a 10!  =D

Truth . . . (though I agree with the rest of the review).

This is one of those few games that I look forward to completing just so I can complete it on the next difficulty level just to see how much harder the bosses are (among other things).

Offline king of snake

• Score: 0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 09:02:22 AM »
    Couldn't agree more with everything that was said. This game is a masterpiece.

I applaud Retro for keeping their own direction with this series. They could have turned Metroid into a first-person shooter. Instead we got a subtle, engrossing, sci-fi forensic investigation with minor shooting elements. One thing Johnny said rings especially true: that the Scan Visor is the defining characteristic of the game. Some of my favorite moments are scanning the various items and reading "Initial activation 132.8 years ago". You really feel like you're in some odd, deteriorating, ancient foreign world. The story and environments are so detailed and rich, it feels like a sci-fi novel wrapped in a video game.

Here's looking forward to Retro's next project. I have to admit I am saddened to see this trilogy come to an end. I do hope they work on another Metroid title at some point in the future.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • Score: 2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 09:20:48 AM »
    I wish they would have taken the risk and given Samus some good voice work. I felt the interactions suffered a little from her silence. Plus she did speak extensively in Fusion and Super Metroid's intro.

I still don't know why Retro put fetch quests into these games, but at least with this one, I didn't have to backtrack. And I beat the game without even getting all of them.

Also, not a fan of not being able to save my game at the end. -- If you do, you have to start over, so no going back to look for goodies.

I finished at 14-ish hours with 90%, and spent another hour or so getting the last 10% items. Now I'm heading back for my missing Lore.
    Daniel Bloodworth
    Managing Editor
    GameTrailers

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 10:32:39 AM »
    Samus is one of those personas whose character plays out perfectly through silence, probably even more-so than Link...So no, I am very thankful they didn't give her a voice... =)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • Score: 42
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 10:33:42 AM »
    I have one question, does MEtroid Prime 3's controls match up against dual analog controls for FPS?

Anyway great review.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 10:44:22 AM »
    Didn't read the review. Don't want to spoil anything.

Samus is one of those personas whose character plays out perfectly through silence, probably even more-so than Link...So no, I am very thankful they didn't give her a voice... =)

Well, she does have a voice actor, but only for grunts and sounds like that. I agree that she really fits a silent character.
    "I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
    • NWR Staff Pro
    • Score: 48
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 11:09:11 AM »
    edit: nvm
    Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
    The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
    Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
    Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
    For never was a story of more woe
    Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • Score: 11
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: September 03, 2007, 11:27:50 AM »
    This game is unfathomably awesome.
    kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: September 03, 2007, 11:57:55 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
    I have one question, does MEtroid Prime 3's controls match up against dual analog controls for FPS?

Match?  No...

It far surpasses... =3  

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • Score: 42
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: September 03, 2007, 12:12:25 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

Match?  No...

It far surpasses... =3

But some dweeb on IGN said it may be AS good as dual analog! So you lie!
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: September 03, 2007, 12:20:50 PM »
    Dual analog is just emulating a mouse. Wiimote is much closer in accuracy.
    "I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
    • NWR Staff
    • Score: 37
      • View Profile
      • Nintendo World Report
    « Reply #16 on: September 03, 2007, 02:10:57 PM »

Originally posted by: Sir_Stabbalot
    Didn't read the review. Don't want to spoil anything.

No spoilers in the review.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
    • Score: 3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: September 03, 2007, 03:12:02 PM »
    I haven't finished the game yet, but so far I agree with the review regarding the series' evolution.  I was at first a little disapointed that Corruption so far seems to be the least Metroid-like of the trilogy, but I've gotten over it because besides that one point the game is really quite well done.  Still hopeful for Dread, though.

The controls are vastly superior to dual analogue, but I personally still prefer a mouse and keyboard.  I wish the motions relating to stuff besides aiming worked better, though.  They're all consistent enough to not be a problem, but it's pretty distracting to see Samus' arm weirdly jerking forward and back any time you have to move the remote toward or away from the screen.
    GOREGASM!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • Score: 28
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: September 03, 2007, 09:36:56 PM »
    I want it... Unfortunately it's not coming until late October...

On another note, while NoA was giving out previews for MP3C, NoE is now starting previews for Super Paper Mario...

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • Score: 9
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: September 04, 2007, 12:00:16 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
    I want it... Unfortunately it's not coming until late October...

On another note, while NoA was giving out previews for MP3C, NoE is now starting previews for Super Paper Mario...

Join the club. All these elitist gamers teasing us with their new games. Its a bloody outrage. I'm taking this to the proime ministar!

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
    • Score: -1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: September 04, 2007, 01:09:06 AM »

Maybe it's due to the larger disc size of Wii games

Larger physcially or larger storage?
    Because if you meant physically I will HIT YOU. (The outside of the disc spins faster and therefore loads quicker)  
    pietriots.com
    Calenture

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • Score: 9
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: September 04, 2007, 02:52:20 AM »

Originally posted by: 18 Days

Because if you meant physically I will HIT YOU. (The outside of the disc spins faster and therefore loads quicker)

Nah mate, the disc spins at the same speed no matter where the laser is positioned. Its just that the outer parts of the disc have a higher read rate because the track radius is greater, which gives the illusion that the data loads quicker.

Check the data rates the next time you burn a DVD. It increases as you burn towards the outer edge of the disc, and that's nothing to do with the speed.

EDIT: Pro tip: If you spin a CD at more than 52x (that is, 52 revolutions per second) then there's a good chance it will shatter into a million pieces. That's why CD burner speeds have maxed out.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: September 04, 2007, 03:18:01 AM »
    ARGH like if I wasn't hyped enough, and I can't find the damn game anywhere around here

Its unfortunate the loading times, but expected. How are loading times in other games?

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
    • Score: 35
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: September 04, 2007, 04:12:26 AM »
    Load delays are largely a function of seek time, not read speed.  Larger discs have longer seek times because there is more physical movement involved.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • Score: 28
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: September 04, 2007, 04:51:41 AM »

Originally posted by: 18 Days

Seek times, you fool!