Author Topic: Konami sees little impact on PS3 price cut. Discusses MGS4 going to other consoles to "recoup development costs"  (Read 4158 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Mashiro

  • Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Source: The Washington Post

Full Story Here

Interesting segments:

Quote

"I wonder if Sony can win back user support by the price cut of just $100," Kazumi Kitaue, the head of Konami's North American and European operations, told Reuters in an interview ahead of this week's E3 video game industry trade show.

"I don't expect a substantial impact ... With $500, you can buy a personal computer."


Quote

Kitaue said Konami may need to expand the target hardware for its blockbuster fighting game Metal Gear Solid, which has so far been developed for Sony's PlayStation machines, to other consoles in the future to recoup development costs.

"Since Metal Gear Solid was born for the PlayStation, we would like to keep it a PlayStation game. But we might have to take some steps," Kitaue said.


I don't know why they call it a blockbuster "fighting" game but yeah you get the idea.

Doesn't look good for Sony if companies don't think they can make back the development costs of the game from just selling on the PS3.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

  • Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Yeah but Kojima spewed some crap about MGS4 not being possible on Xbox 360 because it uses all of the blu-ray disk!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Kairon

  • T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 47
    • View Profile
I do0n't know if it's quite that dire. I anticipate the MGS audience to be really, really hardcore. After all, the game only moves 2 million units worldwide. The audience is small enough to fit on the PS3's limited user base and hardcore enough to buy that hardware. I remain cautiously optimistic that the game won't come out on the XBOX 360 or PC... until a year after the PS3 version.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Mashiro

  • Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
If it uses all the memory on a blue ray disc....well damn that's one gigantic game. 25 gigs of space . . . they could always make it a 6 disc DVD disc game =D

Offline GoldenPhoenix

  • Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Quote

Originally posted by: Kairon
I do0n't know if it's quite that dire. I anticipate the MGS audience to be really, really hardcore. After all, the game only moves 2 million units worldwide. The audience is small enough to fit on the PS3's limited user base and hardcore enough to buy that hardware. I remain cautiously optimistic that the game won't come out on the XBOX 360 or PC... until a year after the PS3 version.


I think you are going to be wrong, it is never a good sign when a company is doubting the game MONTHS before its release.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Mario

  • IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile

Offline Kairon

  • T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 47
    • View Profile
I'm waiting for the confirmation that this game will miss the Holiday '07 season due to developmental difficulties.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Mashiro

  • Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
In the very same article:

Quote

Konami plans to launch Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots for the PS3 in the current business year to March 2008.


So I wouldn't rule it out.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

  • Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Quote

Originally posted by: Kairon
I'm waiting for the confirmation that this game will miss the Holiday '07 season due to developmental difficulties.


I would be surprised if it actually made it before the holidays. Personally I think it will hit sometime in March or April.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Kairon

  • T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 47
    • View Profile
With FFXIII already delayed until next fiscal year (AFTER March 2008), an MGS 4 delay would leave Sony without it's two biggest sure-fire blockbusters that were supposed to come out '07.

I don't know actually... maybe Sony's lineup of War Hawk, Little Big Planet, Home, Heavenly Sword, Lair, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Rachet & Clank 3 will be the sort of lineup that actually doesn't need help from MGS 4 at all!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

  • Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Quote

Originally posted by: Kairon
With FFXIII already delayed until next fiscal year (AFTER March 2008), an MGS 4 delay would leave Sony without it's two biggest sure-fire blockbusters that were supposed to come out '07.

I don't know actually... maybe Sony's lineup of War Hawk, Little Big Planet, Home, Heavenly Sword, Lair, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Rachet & Clank 3 will be the sort of lineup that actually doesn't need help from MGS 4 at all!


All I need to say about that lineup is "Developed or Published by Sony".  
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Kairon

  • T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 47
    • View Profile
Looks art it... by George you're right! At least a bunch of 'em are at least DEVELOPED by third parties though.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Mashiro

  • Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
I've been listening to the following repeatedly: http://youtube.com/watch?v=GMVoaHTWFDs

It's old but man it's catchy and rather appropriate. =)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

  • Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Quote

Originally posted by: Mashiro
I've been listening to the following repeatedly: http://youtube.com/watch?v=GMVoaHTWFDs

It's old but man it's catchy and rather appropriate. =)


That was pretty brutal, but in many ways it is true. Sony really hurt their brand big time with their botched PS3 launch.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Kairon

  • T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 47
    • View Profile
Hehehe, I downloaded the MP3 for that song. I think I might play it in club one day!

Edit: BTW, in case you missed it...

Ring of Fire
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

  • Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Quote

Originally posted by: Kairon
Hehehe, I downloaded the MP3 for that song. I think I might play it in club one day!

Edit: BTW, in case you missed it...

Ring of Fire


Well at least MS had the innovative feature of the ring of fire, they never get credit for that!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Mashiro

  • Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
LOL! Great song Karion thanks for the link, haven't heard that one yet.

Offline Kairon

  • T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 47
    • View Profile
Quote

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
Quote

Originally posted by: Kairon
Hehehe, I downloaded the MP3 for that song. I think I might play it in club one day!

Edit: BTW, in case you missed it...

Ring of Fire


Well at least MS had the innovative feature of the ring of fire, they never get credit for that!


Yup. Now with this innovative feature you will always know WHEN YOU'RE SCREWED!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline mantidor

  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Quote

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
Yeah but Kojima spewed some crap about MGS4 not being possible on Xbox 360 because it uses all of the blu-ray disk!


If history has taught us anything, theres no impediment at all for porting a game if they publishers want it, not even disk space, wasn't RE2 ported to the N64? not to mention the capcom 5 fiasco, after all the promises... I'd say the port is very likely to happen now, at the very least to the 360.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Svevan

  • Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
No Wii announcement was made, ergo this should go in General Gaming, and we already have an MGS4 thread.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Ian Sane

  • Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: -29
    • View Profile
"I do0n't know if it's quite that dire. I anticipate the MGS audience to be really, really hardcore."

Yeah but MGS so far has been released first on the console with the largest userbase.  It's a pretty hardcore game series but the fans have never had to buy an obscure console to play it.  You never needed to buy a console for MGS.  You just had to have the big popular console and MGS was part of the ride.

This whole thing reminds me a lot about Resident Evil 4 on the Gamecube.

I don't expect much impact from the price cut either.  Sony has f*cked themselves with using Blu-Ray.  They need to price the PS3 lower but can't.

Offline couchmonkey

  • I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
OH yeah, this game is definitely going to be ported to 360, I've been sure of that since PS3 sales first started slowing down.  I think it'll still be exclusive to PS3 for a while, but the 360 version will hit by Christmas 08.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline IceCold

  • I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Quote

Since Metal Gear Solid was born for the PlayStation
Excuse me? Wow..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline UniversalJuan

  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Quote

Originally posted by: IceCold
Quote

Since Metal Gear Solid was born for the PlayStation
Excuse me? Wow..


What's so strange about that? It's true! Metal Gear SOLID was born on Playstation. Now the Metal Gear franchise....whole other ballgame
They gave a war, nobody came, imagine all the fuss. They'd have to send themselves instead of...sending us. Yeah (People of the Generation - by Scatman John)

Quote

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
The greatest game of all time is Super Smash Bros Brawl.  It

Offline denjet78

  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Quote

Originally posted by: UniversalJuan
Quote

Originally posted by: IceCold
Quote

Since Metal Gear Solid was born for the PlayStation
Excuse me? Wow..


What's so strange about that? It's true! Metal Gear SOLID was born on Playstation. Now the Metal Gear franchise....whole other ballgame


MGS came out on the Playstation, this is true... but it started life as an N64 game, much like almost every other huge Playstation game.