Author Topic: Finally succumbed to the Wii, some questions  (Read 4692 times)

Finally succumbed to the Wii, some questions
« on: June 11, 2007, 02:59:56 PM »
It was long, but I finally slapped the money for one.  Last time I checked supplies here were okay, but were quickly disappearing which is no real news.  Interestingly, both the US and Japan Wii systems are appearing on stores.

I have some games, not a lot I reckon.  I have some mixed reactions from the games but some of them I really like.  And going back to those GC games are really cool.

Question is...

1.  Are there any decent WESTERN rpgs around?
2.  Are there any driving sims on Wii?
3.  Is Hajime no Ippo getting a US localization?

Thanks a lot!

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE: Finally succumbed to the Wii, some questions
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 03:11:29 PM »
1. What the hell is a western RPG? Come to think of it, what the hell is an eastern RPG?
2. Excite Truck
3. lol wut?
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

RE:Finally succumbed to the Wii, some questions
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 04:11:44 PM »
Okay, I think I should be clearer.

I was hoping to find an RPG for Wii made by Western developers.  I see a lot of stuff like Fire Emblem and they aren't my kind of stuff.

On #3, Hajime no Ippo is the boxing sim that is going to hit stores in Japan around July, I think.

Here's a Japanese video trailer on it.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?type=mov&id=20327

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 05:21:17 PM »
If by western RPG you're thinking more CRPG stuff like Oblivion or Never Winter Knights... I haven't heard of anything like that. The closest thing to a western RPG the Wii has right now is Marvel :Ultimate Alliance... eheh. Obviously we don't know whether any such games are being developed by third parties right now because everything is going into hush mode before next month's E3... so us fanbois can still maintain some level of hope.

As for driving sims, there WAS that driving game at launch, (and need for speed: carbon as well) but the latest thing to emerge from development secrecy is a historic-based indy 500 simulation game focusing on the 60's and 70's. Once again, maybe at E3 we'll find out whether any third parties decided to carve out a name for themselves in this manner.

As for Hajime no Ippo... I've also been keeping an eye open for any news of a US release. Sadly, I haven't run into any evidence yet.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 05:34:29 PM »
Yeah, CRPGs like NWN... so far, we've both hit upon Marvel Ultimate Alliance which well... I don't think I want it.  I guess we'll have to wait for E3 to hear some stuff coming.

On driving, I'm trying to shy away from NFS: Carbon.  The previous NFS games weren't exactly to my liking.  The Indy game might be interesting, but I don't want to drive in a loop.  Tracks like Hockenheimring or Spa Francorchamps would be a huge plus for me.  I was thinking of GT Pro Series, but it looks so much like Automodellista...

On Hajime no Ippo, yeah I'm also looking very closely at the title.  I would think it has some possibility of getting a US release... (IGN has the US title listed in the game section, but that is hardly an official confirmation).

Offline Geech

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 05:37:53 PM »
I can't give you much advice on RPGs, but as for racing games I've played both Excite Truck and Need for Speed: Carbon and I really enjoyed both of them. For right now they are two of the best racing games on the system. I personally own NFS:Carbon, I purchased it over Excite Truck for the depth and customization. They are two very different types of racers. NFS:Carbon being a more realistic street racer with a storyline and lots of customizing, while Excite Truck is a fast paced arcade-like game with power-ups and big jumps. So it just depends on your tastes, but that are both very enjoyable.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 06:02:15 PM »
This might be a bit out of the realm of RPG, but may I suggest The Godfather? It's has stat building and criminal empire building.

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 07:57:25 PM »
It's funny because I have Excite Truck and Godfather.  Excite Truck is really a crazy racing game, and it's their to satisfy that.  Hmm... it does seem like RPGs aren't very plentiful on Wii...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 08:38:20 PM »
Crystal Chronicles, Dragon Quest Swords  and Opoona are coming.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 09:13:14 PM »
I think he means RPG in the D&D sense, not in the "watch pretty cutscenes in between clobbering monsters" sense.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 09:28:03 PM »
hmm. Super Paper Mario has RPG elements.

btw, we forgot to tell you, but your avatar is a third too large.

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 10:09:55 PM »
I'll adjust, thanks ShyGuy.

Yes, I do mean a more D&D sense of things.  And exactly not "watch pretty cutscenes..."

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 02:03:36 AM »
Hmmm, are there any RPGs for him on the virtual console, that might hold him over?

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 02:39:56 AM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
Hmmm, are there any RPGs for him on the virtual console, that might hold him over?

ALtTP...yeah, I know it's not looked upon as a RPG, but it's as close as you can get.  Or that one for TG 16 ...the name escapes me...Dungeon Explorer?
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 04:28:51 AM »
The TG16 RPGs are crap.

Offline Patchkid15

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 04:30:10 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
The TG16 RPGs are crap.

I agree

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 05:23:55 AM »
I remember reading an anouncement about a racing game for the Wii that wants to 'compete' with Sony's Gran Turismo, but I doubt I can find the info very easily. It was just a single article about a month or so ago. I don't believe it was titled GT.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 07:22:33 AM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
Karl speaks very highly of Sword of Vermilion.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 07:31:21 AM »
unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much RPG's to be found anywhere on any of the 3 consoles.  Personally I'm waiting to see what Bethseda does with Fallout 3, its only for PC though...

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2007, 08:39:45 AM »
I can vouch for SoV.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2007, 11:42:16 AM »
I think it's very clear the library on CRPGs isn't very healthy on Wii.  SoV, I'm afraid is not a solution... even if the game was recommended by every gamer in the universe, my lack of a hot spot prevents my Wii from ever touching online.

I do wish that Nintendo would allow people to download and pay through PC... transfer them via SD cards into the Wii... but piracy looms where the PC is accessible.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2007, 12:01:43 PM »
Well, to be truthful, Western RPGs are sparse to begin with on consoles... maybe the XBox 360 might have some actually. Fable 2 is sure to be there, Oblivion already is, and it was the platform of choice last-gen for KOTOR and Jade Empire.

Although I do admit I'd be ecstatic with more western rpg development on the Wii. C'mon guys, an Oblivion clone at least! The wiimote is perfect for it!!!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2007, 12:08:22 PM »
You have a point there.  I just really hope we see something like Jade Empire on Wii... that would be excellent.  Maybe LucasArts' secret Wii game might turn out to be an rpg, but that's hoping for the unlikely.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2007, 05:18:49 PM »

Originally posted by: niniendowarrior
I think it's very clear the library on CRPGs isn't very healthy on Wii.  SoV, I'm afraid is not a solution... even if the game was recommended by every gamer in the universe, my lack of a hot spot prevents my Wii from ever touching online.

I do wish that Nintendo would allow people to download and pay through PC... transfer them via SD cards into the Wii... but piracy looms where the PC is accessible.

Solution: Buy a Nintendo Wi-Fi adapter. Problem solved.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown