Author Topic: Keiji Inafune wants to make Megaman Legends 3  (Read 5435 times)

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Keiji Inafune wants to make Megaman Legends 3
« on: June 01, 2007, 12:25:00 PM »
Mega Man Creator Dreams of Next-Gen Mega Man

Of course he wants to use the Dead Rising and Lost Planet Engine which means he'd wants the game to be on the Xbox 360 or PS3 if it was to ever be created.  Which would be the dumbest decision in the world because PS3/360 owner don't care about Megaman and would cause the game to bomb horrible.  Which would cause Capcom to never even think about the Legends series ever again.  Of course if he was to release it on the Wii it has a chance of actually selling well which could allow the series to be revived.

Damn, you'd think after last gen when all the Megaman games sold better on Nintendo systems, Inafune would have learned that most Megaman fans are also Nintendo fans and so Megaman games will sell the best on Nintendo systems.  Plus there's a reason right now Capcom is allowing a sequel to ZX and not the remakes, because ZX on the DS sold well while the remakes on the PSP did beyond horrible.

What will it take for this guy to finally get the message that the Megaman fanbase is with Nintendo?
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: Keiji Inafune wants to make Megaman Legends 3
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 12:55:54 PM »
Professional 666 Dreams of Mega Man Creator Buried By Tsunami of PS3 Stock At Best Buy
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 02:25:12 PM »
use the resident evil 4 engine for the wii version

if only someone would get it together and combine mario 64 style platforming with resident evil style shooting...but not at the same time(prince of persia had platforming and fighting sections, but not really at the same time)
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 02:31:02 PM »
RE style shooting is way too slow for Mega Man.
GOREGASM!

Offline Galford

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Keiji Inafune wants to make Megaman Legends 3
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 03:14:48 PM »
It would be nice to have Legends on the Wii, but I doubt it will happen.
Notice the games he talks about when referring to Legends.
Both of these engines suite MML style game play just fine.

Also MML3 is not targertted towards Wii's core audience.
Only older gamers remember Legends and MML3 would be an epic rpg with a couple of mildly hard action set pieces.
It's the polar opposite of everything Nintendo is pimping right now.

Also history, MM has done well portables, but consoles not so much.
Remember how well the last exclusive MegaMan sold on a Nintendo console?
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline Artimus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 03:38:55 PM »

Originally posted by: Galford
It would be nice to have Legends on the Wii, but I doubt it will happen.
Notice the games he talks about when referring to Legends.
Both of these engines suite MML style game play just fine.

Also MML3 is not targertted towards Wii's core audience.
Only older gamers remember Legends and MML3 would be an epic rpg with a couple of mildly hard action set pieces.
It's the polar opposite of everything Nintendo is pimping right now.

Mega Man 64? AKA Legends?

I think this merely proves that Capcom's murder of the Mega Man series is actually the result of not enough executive interference!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 03:45:21 PM »
Keiji Inafune is working on a Wii game. I actually expect it to be Mega Man related... hopefully not Battle Network related. You never know. Maybe its a Legends sequel.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 05:29:54 PM »
It's Mickey and the Magickal Closet.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 06:22:22 PM »
Inafune is a pompous jerk. I hope Capcom is as willing to push him on another platform as they were with Mikami. I also don't get how he can ignore Nintendo because it's "for kids" while making games like Megaman Powered-Up (that got everyone screaming about how they kiddified Megaman...) or, well, Megaman Legends.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 07:57:18 PM »

Originally posted by: Galford

What are you talking about?  All the Megaman games on the Gamecube OUTSOLD their PS2 counterparts.  Plus the only exclusive Megaman the Gamecube had was EXE Battle Network, which actually sold more then X7 and X8 which were exclusive on the PS2.

Which sums up my whole point of how the majority of Megaman fans are also Nintendo fans because the PS2 had a user base 4 times bigger then the Gamecube, yet Megaman games sold better on the Gamecube.  But instead of rewarding us for being the ones giving the series the most support, Inafune wants to keep putting the series on systems that don't care while ignoring the systems that actually would.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 08:16:38 PM »
I think all of Capcom is pretty screwed up right now.  Basically, I think they could wind up mixing up what they release, when they release, how they are organized, and

Essentially, they are looking to create what sells big, but I get the feeling that their returns are not meeting the cost of development and the cost of marketing combined.  I know it reviewed well, but did Lost Planet really sell great?  They've developed entire next-gen engines for maybe one or two games, costing time, money, and man-power, but then they don't reuse the engine in other games.

When it comes to releasing games and choosing platforms, they make all the wrong decisions.  Mega Man Zero up to four appear on the GBA and take off pretty well in sales.  What do they do?  They then release remakes of older Mega Man games, release them on a weak platform, especially for the point of time, one with an audience not geared toward Mega Man, and to top it all off, they do it after they released cheaper and bigger collections of all the original games.  They didn't even wait three years to do this, either.  Seriously, that is terrible business sense.

Then, they had to wait so long to announce DMC4 for multi-platform.  I know they probably planned it to go that way after the PS3 did so weakly, but it took them too long to announce it, and they ended up at the wrong end of the chain, upsetting their PS3 fanbase to unreasonable levels, and will probably not break even now on the cost of the PS3 development for the game, though the 360 may sell enough to make up for it, it probably won't unless the game stands out more than similar games of the genre.

Follow that up with Resident Evil.  Actually, I think they're doing well with the Resident Evil games.  Porting 4 to the Wii, and making the Umbrella Chronicles are great ways to cost-efficiently gauge interest in the RE series on the Wii.

What I don't understand is how they aren't letting Inafune do his own thing.  He is basically the creator of a third of why Capcom is so successful, and yet he's not given the freedom to create the titles they want.  If it were Nintendo and Miyamoto said that he'd like to make another Pikmin sequel, you can bet he would, or something with any of his series, in this respect.  Essentially, this means that Mega Man probably isn't raking in the same amount of cash proportionate to costs, but I still contend that while Inafune should be able to work on whatever project he wants, Capcom's higher-ups need to restrict what consoles he creates for much better, so the whole Mega Man Powered Up fiasco doesn't repeat.  Of course, that may be why he lost some creative control, too, you never know...

Offline Galford

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 09:05:55 AM »
I've always been under the impression that Megaman Network Transmission sold about three copies and was promptly forgotten.
Even if it did out sell X7 and X8 that is not saying much.  
Does anyone have numbers hard numbers for these games?

Inafune wants to do another MML.  You have MM Dash armor in Dead Rising as bonus.
Will Capcom execs allow him to do it, that is the question.
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 07:02:14 PM »
maybe Inafune/Capcom want to kill Megaman off? XD
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2007, 07:22:05 PM »
GOD just make it for the WII ALREADY!!!1!!!ONE!!!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 04:48:43 AM »
I would love a new Megaman Legends on Wii.  If it comes out on the 360, I will cry.  I will cry until I am out of tears, and then I will buy a copy, put it in my Wii, tape over the slot so it won't reject it, and rock back and forth muttering to myself while waving the remote around.  Hopefully the price of a 360 will be reasonable by the time they let me out of the padded room.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2007, 06:12:36 AM »

Originally posted by: Athrun Zala

That theory holds the most water right now.

How well did Bomberman Zero do on the 360, even with its "mature" makeover?

Yeah, exactly.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 07:52:24 AM »
LOL THEY SHOULD'VE RELEASED IT TO COINCIDE WITH ROBERT DOWNY JR.'S IRON MAN MOVIE.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 08:40:01 AM »

Originally posted by: Athrun Zala

Then they should sell the franchise to Sega.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2007, 08:52:25 AM »
For those who didn't read the interview:

A) Inafune is just saying what he would do if he had unlimited resources, not what he thinks is a good business plan.

B) The reference to 360 is from the main programmer of the 360 engine saying that the engine would work for a new Legends game.

I fully agree that Wii would be the place for a new Legends game, being the most family-friendly system and also having the old-time Nintendo loyalists...but this was a fantasy question.  It sounds like Mega Man Legends wasn't popular enough to even think about a sequel.  Which sucks because I thought it had a lot of potential.

A quick look at VGChartz (for what it's worth) shows that Dead Rising and Lost Planet are both million sellers.  From the Megaman series, only MM 2, MM 3, MM X, EXE 3 and EXE 4 are million sellers.  That means only the EXE series has broken a million in the past 15 years.  Megaman is a dying breed.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2007, 10:49:22 AM »
am i the only one who thinks Legends sucked?

i remember being a kid and seeing screens for Megaman Nitro (i believe that was the working name) and being so excited. then when it was released as legends i bought a copy to take to my cousins house (cuz he had the PS and i didnt..didnt want one but i wanted to play it so bad) and being SEVERELY dissapointed.

flash fwd to when im a lil older and its rereleased as MM64, borrow it from a friend to give it a second shot. even more dissapointed than at first. the gameplay and pace were too slow for megaman, the "dungeons" were boring and too easy, the character designs were horrible (especially the star character) and the game itself didnt know if megaman was a boy in a "digger suit" or a F-in robot.

still i played it thru all the way this time, grinding my teeth all the way to the end, only to be pissed off at the ending. i felt as if i HAD to play legends2 to understand it. there is no way in hell i would bother doing that.

i expected so much more from the first 3d megaman game, even when i found out about the rpg elements i thought it would be a neat feature to add to the series. i ended up getting a megaman game that left a sour taste in my mouth and left me with a chip on my shoulder. by then the megaman x games started to get stale (i know i know, some would argue it always was, whatever) and i thought i'd never have a good, new, megaman game to look fwd to.

ps. MMZ was good but i had to give myself time to get over the fact that they made zero look like a little girl (no i wasnt one of those people that thought Zero was an updated Roll when he first appeared in MMX, he actually looked badass, more so than mega did w/o armor)

im still a fan i guess. i still shelled out $50 for MMCollection 1-8 even though i have those games in good working condition, and for MMXCollection even though i stopped caring after X4. hell i even bought Command Mission and thought that was a better action/rpg than Legends. The Zero series gave me some hope, the XZ games i havent played yet and i refuse to try the EXE titles. Those and legends are just bad in my book.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2007, 11:25:05 AM »

Originally posted by: EasyCure
am i the only one who thinks Legends sucked?

Probably not.  It was definitely not one of the greatest games of its time.  It was hard to control, the graphics ranged from almost passable to abysmal, and it took a lot of money farming to get everything.  Still, I liked it a lot.  I had never heard of it until a friend of mine told me about it, so I had no false expectations to get in the way when I played it, I guess.  Plus, it's fairly niche, so a sequel is very unlikely, making any rumors of a sequel much more exciting.  If you told me Shigeru Miyamoto wanted to make another Zelda someday, you wouldn't be telling me anything newsworthy, after all.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2007, 08:24:32 PM »
Dunno, I found MML's graphics to be fairly effective, not pretty but the animations in the cutscenes were perfect for the style they were going for (e.g. Tron Bonne freezing in mid step when surprised, stepping in on Roll changing clothes, Teasel telling Tron to get some pizza before it's gone, etc), it was pretty much a cartoon in 3d. The gameplay was very restrictive, yes and the bosses were dumb (come on, haven't they learned from Quake? circlestrafing exists and you aren't going to stop it*) but overall I found it nice to play. The mysterious past parts of the story didn't make much sense but then again I don't think they do in any Capcom game.

*=Possibly the reason you can't dodge and shoot at the same time in P.N.03

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2007, 04:37:06 AM »
I thought Legends was a little prototypical...it needed a lot of work, but I thought it was reasonably fun.  I guess I'm a believer that if you have something decent,  you can turn it into something great.  I really like Castlevania 64....it's not as good as the best 2D games, but I absolutely believe that with some more work that basic game design could have become a great 3D series.  Instead they keep trying to reinvent it and it never really seems to catch up with the best games of the day.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX