Author Topic: N64 Games that use the expansion pack  (Read 9701 times)

Offline Garnee

• Zig.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
N64 Games that use the expansion pack
« on: May 28, 2007, 12:52:29 PM »
Will any of the N64 games that use the expansion pack (like Donkey Kong 64) be released on VC?  Has Ninty said anything about their compatibility?
Yeah, I do play mafia games.

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
RE: N64 Games that use the expansion pack
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 01:38:53 PM »
I don't see why not.

I really want to play Majora's Mask again, so I hope so.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
    • View Profile
RE:N64 Games that use the expansion pack
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 02:25:56 PM »
The Zelda: Collector's Edition compilation had Majora's Mask on it, so Nintendo already has made a compatible emulator. As far as I know, all they have to do is have the emulator allocate more memory to whatever game is being run.

The Wikipedia article on the Expansion Pak has a list of games that use/require it.
Thanks for listening.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 02:45:57 PM »
but that Majora's Mask version is buggy according to the interwebs, so hopefully they can get around the problems they had the first time.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 03:35:47 PM »
Well as I understand it, all VC titles include their own emulator.  It would be cake for them to create an emulator designed just to work for the Expansion Pack games.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 03:57:56 PM »
Really?  That seems like a waste of space... I mean, why redownload a new NES emulator with every NES game when you could just have one pre-loaded onto the system?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 04:05:48 PM »
I think each emulator receives tweaks and adjustments to play games just as they were played on their respective systems.  Allowing a unique emulator for each game allows this to happen easier, and insures that unfortunately ignorant consumers will be able to play every game they download without heavy modifications.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 04:12:02 PM »
That 512 of onboard memory starts looking like less and less...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 04:14:04 PM »
Yeah, it does.  At least SD memory keeps getting cheaper and cheaper.  I just wish they'd let me use it.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 05:00:05 PM »
I believe it's the same deal for BC on the XBox 360. Or at least there may be one single emulator, but each ROMset comes packed with different configuration files or maybe a different sound or graphics plugin, or something like that. BTW, with $20 for a 2GB SD card now basically the standard in retail stores (even though online it's been $20 or less for quite some time now), Nintendo REALLY needs to start taking advantage of it.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline The Traveller

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 12:06:19 AM »
The MM on the collectors disk was apparently running without the expansion pak hence the bad frame rate and buggyness in places.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 05:34:51 AM »
Majora's Mask ran fine on the Cube. The only problems I ever saw were right when a cut scene started, the audio and the screen would hiccup. I guess it's not perfect, but it was certainly acceptable. Actual gameplay was unaffected.  

Offline The Traveller

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 11:44:38 AM »
There was bad slowdown in clock town and in certain other places. Some people also experienced the game freezing, I never did but apparently some have said it has. The game ran worse than the N64 version.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 11:52:48 AM »
Bad framerate?  Not at all in the Collector's Edition (USA NTSC).

The game wouldn't run on N64 w/out the expansion pak, so the emulated version had to be running on the expanded RAM spec.  
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 03:14:08 PM »
Apparently Majora's Mask would freeze on older Gamecube systems. Unfortunatley for me, my old GCn system doesnt work anymore, so thats where the Wii comes in for me on Gamecube titles, its actually nice to see Majora's Mask NOT freeze on me. But the game did run slower on Gamecube systems, but it was otherwise do-able.

What I do want to see is Donkey Kong 64, current said emulators on the PC supposedly dont work properly. It doesnt freeze, and yeah its the worst of Rare's DK games, but characters would clip through walls, cutscenes would not play properly crazy gravity depending on the environment or...just plain crazy. Plus since all nintendo ever does is tinker with the emulator, they cant edit the game itself.
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline The Traveller

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2007, 09:47:22 PM »
Well I am running the PAL version.. The frame rate is pretty bad inside clock town..

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 06:06:33 AM »
I highly doubt Majora's Mask on the VC would have the same issues it had on the GC.  The biggest problem with both OoT and MM on the GC had to have been the 24MB RAM limit, considering that both games were 32MB, and one also used an additional 4MB of RAM.  I personally think both games in some form were semi-ported in order to get them to work around not being able to load the entire game.

Offline The Traveller

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 12:14:59 PM »
Although Oot has no problems at all for me, and is much cleaner and has no frame rate drops at all really. Ah well, we'll see what happens with MM when its released on the VC.

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 01:25:19 PM »
I've had OoT freeze on me a few times.  Like I said, I bet it's from the whole RAM issue because I have yet to hear about any freezes on OoT with the VC and I'd expect MM to be the same way.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2007, 04:15:54 AM »
MM froze up on me many a time...to the point where I started to become paranoid.  It actually had a pretty big effect on my opinion of the game, sadly.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2007, 08:09:47 AM »
You're all defective.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.