Author Topic: FFCC: The Crystal Bearers  (Read 23742 times)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
FFCC: The Crystal Bearers
« on: May 25, 2007, 01:48:51 AM »
30-second Trailer...Watch...NOW...

The game is looking fantastic so far, and I'm really digging the more Zelda-ish direction it's taking...While I'm not holding out for a release this year, I hope SE takes the time to turn this into a gem...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: FFCC: The Crystal Bearers
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 01:54:34 AM »
Wow...

This is the first RPG in a while, that I actually want to learn more about. The last game being Skies of Arcadia.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Pittbboi

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 02:26:24 AM »
::joygasms::

I have to say that I'm really surprised with the trailer. I had originally counted this game out because I really wasn't able to play the first CC the way it was meant to be played, and I thought it would be more of the same based on the first trailer. But it seems that the reason it took so long for us to get a shred of info on Crystal Bearer's was because Square-Enix has seemingly scrapped everything that was in that first trailer and started fresh. I have to say this has jumped up to MUST HAVE for me, and if it gets any better I'll end up anticipating this game more than FFXIII.

I'm happy that they got rid of the Precious Moments chibi look from the first game (And CB trailer). The game looks a lot more Final Fantasy than the first one did (that city he runs through reminds me of FFXII). It also looks like Squeenix isn't going to bash us over the head with multiplayer this time, and instead focus on an engaging single-player. I didn't see anything that looked multiplayer at all in the trailer. And, while the gameplay looks more Kingdom Hearts than Zelda to me, I can't say I'm disappointed. It looks like they've fleshed out the action aspect of the series without, hopefully, losing any of the RPG aspects (which a lot of people speculated to be the case). Story-wise, I get a very Peter Pan and the Lost Boys vibe from the game, which I'm also excited about.

I know a lot of people are dissing Squeenix and how they seem to be mass producing RPGs at the moment (FFXIII, looking at you), and while I don't necessarily share that opinion, I do have to admit that watching that trailer filled me with the kind of excitement I haven't experienced for an RPG since Square's golden years on the Playstation.  

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 02:31:42 AM »
so want this game...NOW!!!
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 02:55:27 AM »
I too, am excited by this game.

The trailer seems to point to pre-created characters (a la the later FF games) instead of the cool create-a-character feature of the original.  This kind of makes me sad.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Pittbboi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 03:07:47 AM »
I like pre-created characters. It could mean a more involved storyline where the characters are central to a plot, as apposed to a generic "we have to keep the story as vague as possible so that it can remain inclusive to whatever kind of character the player comes up with" story. To each his own, though.

Offline Terranigma Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 03:26:24 AM »
Please, someone tell me, what the hell is it that you're seeing that I'm not seeing in that video? I see absolutely NOTHING that screams graphically impressive (or at least beyond PS2). I see no pixel shaders being used; I see no environment bump-mapping; I don't see any kind of bump/normal mapping; I don't see surface scattering, bloom, or HDR of any kind; and I sure as hell didn't see any smooth self-shadows or any kind of dynamic shadowing techniques being used.

I did see low polygon count for a main character who's probably made of less than 10,000 polygons (Leon is made on 10,000). I see solid texture work, but nothing PS2 can't do. I saw very clearly the indirect textures used for the magic, and that was about it.

I also notice the quality didn't exactly look like a direct feed video either. Honestly, I don't know if this game will be graphically impressive until I can actually see something clearer and in better detail. Right now, it's just a good looking PS2 game and nothing else. Graphically, it's definitely no Super Mario Galaxy, or even Dewy's Adventure.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 03:48:52 AM »
It's called great art direction Terranigma.

Try not to take graphics so quantitatively and you'll be happier with your Wii.  
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 03:51:02 AM »
You looked at a lot, but you didn't see anything.

We are talking about the game....the GAME looks fantastic.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Pittbboi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 03:54:01 AM »
Well, I suppose that if you want to get technical the graphics do seem to be only on par with FFXII, but that really isn't that big a thing for me, as FFXII was one of the best RPGs released for the PS2. And if the game has huge environments (which I have a feeling it will), with loads of on screen enemies and a higher frame rate than FFXII I'll be more than happy. The graphics may not be the best, but they're still very sound. And the [sad] thing is, despite how bad you say the graphics look, they're still up there with the best being offered by third parties on the Wii at this point.

And besides, I think it's the gameplay and the fact that this is the first major RPG announced for the Wii that has more to do with why everyone's excited.  

EDIT: Oh and,

It's called great art direction Terranigma.

Agree with this.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE:FFCC: The Crystal Bearers
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 04:03:26 AM »

Originally posted by: Terranigma Freak
Yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap HDR yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap bloom yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap shaders yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap graphics yap yap yap yap yap

~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 04:11:06 AM »
The previous trailer had a completly different art direction from this. The thing I'm most interested is that it looks like an action RPG with flying which I think could be awesome, specially with the remote.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Terranigma Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 04:12:05 AM »
What great art direction is that? Opoona/Dewy has great art direction. FFCC has the exact same boring generic emo wangst look of all the previous Final Fantasies.

http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/photos/opn05.jpg

http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/photos/opn25.jpg

THAT is art direction. Interesting character design. Interesting looking characters. A brilliant blend of colors. Imaginative environments and style. Again, what does FFCC have that stands out from other generic FF/RPG?

Try not to take graphics so quantitatively and you'll be happier with your Wii.

I'm very happy with it. My favorite PC game runs beautifully on a k6 233MHz PC with 32 MB of RAM.

Offline Pittbboi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 04:28:23 AM »
Personally, I prefer Crystal Bearers' art direction over Opoona's in every aspect. CB has this almost Peter Pan quality that intrigues me, and Square-Enix knows how to lay down an intriguing fantasy setting so they shouldn't be knocked for that. Also, it's starting to look like crystal-powered airships are the height of technological advancement in this game, which for me is a breath of fresh air from the "highly technologically advanced people that live and dress out of the 1800s" thing that Square-Enix has been doing lately.

And playing as random aliens composed of random geometric shapes against a generic anime backdrop really doesn't do much for me. Sorry Opoona.

Offline Terranigma Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2007, 04:36:03 AM »

Originally posted by: Pittbboi

And playing as random aliens composed of random geometric shapes against a generic anime backdrop really doesn't do much for me. Sorry Opoona.

Please, do show me this generic anime backdrop that you speak of. I'm sure if it's so generic, you can find tons of anime just like Opoona. How about we try and see how many games we can find out there that looks like Opoona and how many games out there that looks like FFCC?

CB has this almost Peter Pan quality that intrigues me, and Square-Enix knows how to lay down an intriguing fantasy setting so they shouldn't be knocked for that. Also, it's starting to look like crystal-powered airships are the height of technological advancement in this game, which for me is a breath of fresh air from the "highly technologically advanced people that live and dress out of the 1800s" thing that Square-Enix has been doing lately

You have got to be freaking kidding me. Crystal powered airships a breath of fresh air?  

Offline Pittbboi

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2007, 04:55:03 AM »

Please, do show me this generic anime backdrop that you speak of. I'm sure if it's so generic, you can find tons of anime just like Opoona. How about we try and see how many games we can find out there that looks like Opoona and how many games out there that looks like FFCC?

Well, here are few generic looking shots:
http://www.ngcfrance.com/images/news/wii/opoona/scr_012.jpg

But this is mostly beside the point: It's not a matter of seeing how many games out there look like which; that's trivializing it. Appreciation of art direction is largely up to the interpreter. As I said, PERSONALLY I prefer Crystal Bearer's, no matter how many games emulate a similar style. CB still does it well, and looks intriguing and fresh in my opinion. It seems to be mixing a lot of different styles (FFIX, FFXII, Kingdom Hearts) and making something new out them, and I'm very interested in what they do with the main character. Just because there aren't a ton of RPGs out there looking like Opoona doesn't mean its style can't be interpreted as uninspired crap (incidentally that may be why there aren't a ton of RPGs out there with similar styles to Opoona).

You have got to be freaking kidding me. Crystal powered airships a breath of fresh air?

Wow, way to twist my words. I didn't say airships themselves were the breath of fresh air. My point was this is the first console "Final Fantasy" game in a while to lean more on fantasy than sci-fi. I could be be wrong (it IS only a 30 second clip), but airships seem to be the most technologically advanced aspect of the game.  

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2007, 05:08:14 AM »
Hey guys!  I like oranges better than apples!
---------------------

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2007, 05:20:50 AM »
You suck! Apples are way better than Oranges, what with the shiny bloom effects on their skin and real time destructable enviroment on the inside. Oranges have freaking low-poly wedges!    

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2007, 05:23:26 AM »
That rocked but it also made me sad at the same time.  I enjoyed the art direction of the original and how the characters were, plus I was hoping to still be able to add human controlled characters joining me in the fight.  Well it was just a trailer so I may have that fulfilled.

Edit:
But Oranges have dense texturing, physics dealing with soft objects, and lighting through semi-transparent objects.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Terranigma Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2007, 05:26:57 AM »

Originally posted by: Pittbboi

Well, here are few generic looking shots:
http://www.ngcfrance.com/images/news/wii/opoona/scr_012.jpg

But this is mostly beside the point: It's not a matter of seeing how many games out that looks like which, that's trivializing it. Appreciation of art direction is largely up to the interpreter. As I said, PERSONALLY I prefer Crystal Bearer's, no matter how many games emulate a similar style. CB still does it well, and looks intriguing and fresh in my opinion. It seems to be mixing a lot of different styles (FFIX, FFXII, Kingdom Hearts) and making something new out them, and I'm very interested in what they do with the main character. Just because there aren't a ton of RPGs out there looking like Opoona doesn't mean its style can't be interpreted as uninspired crap (incidentally that may be why there aren't a ton of RPGs out there with similar styles to Opoona).

Wait wait... so something that's never been done before is considered as uninspired crap, while something that's been done to death is refreshing and inspired? Great logic there.

Oh and the screen shot you posted... way to go, you found one area that looks like a hangar/warehouse. Now find me an anime with a swimming pool next to some god know whatever it is that's in that tiny pic on the lower left side.

Wow, way to twist my words. I didn't say airships themselves were the breath of fresh air. My point was this is the first console "Final Fantasy" game in a while to lean more on fantasy than sci-fi. I could be be wrong (it IS only a 30 second clip), but airships seem to be the most technologically advanced aspect of the game.

Does that change the fact that crystal powered flying ships have been done to death in FF?

Oranges have freaking low-poly wedges!

Ah, but low polygon wedges can be made much for interesting with unique texture work. Ever seen a retexture N64 game on emulation? Texture mapping is an old fashioned technique these days, but being able to create an interesting texture is still very much a challenge.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2007, 05:36:52 AM »
"'m happy that they got rid of the Precious Moments chibi look from the first game (And CB trailer). The game looks a lot more Final Fantasy than the first one did"

I have to agree, the chibi look of the first on was kind of a turn off as it didn't look like an actual "Final Fantasy" game, and instead something they threw together for some kiddee console with the Final Fantasy name attached to increase awareness. I wasn't really looking forward to FFCC:CB before, but now its definately on my 'watch' list.

Offline Pittbboi

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2007, 05:37:08 AM »

Wait wait... so something that's never been done before is considered as uninspired crap, while something that's been done to death is refreshing and inspired? Great logic there.

Yeah, logic that you don't seem to be getting. "Never been done before" does NOT always win out over "Been done before" especially when the game that's employing themes that have been done before seems to be doing it very well while adding its own personal touch. In my opinion, that's the case with Opoona and Crystal Bearers. And it would only take you a few minutes to browse a few websites and see which game most people would rather play if you think I'm pulling this out of my ass just to be difficult.

Does that change the fact that crystal powered flying ships have been done to death in FF?

And does that change the fact that my original point really didn't have much to do with the damn airships, but rather the overall feel of the game? Jeez...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2007, 05:45:24 AM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
"'m happy that they got rid of the Precious Moments chibi look from the first game (And CB trailer). The game looks a lot more Final Fantasy than the first one did"

I have to agree, the chibi look of the first on was kind of a turn off as it didn't look like an actual "Final Fantasy" game, and instead something they threw together for some kiddee console with the Final Fantasy name attached to increase awareness. I wasn't really looking forward to FFCC:CB before, but now its definately on my 'watch' list.

I like Precious Moments figurines.  
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2007, 05:47:29 AM »

Originally posted by: Requiem
Wow...

This is the first RPG in a while, that I actually want to learn more about. The last game being Skies of Arcadia.

The whole thing does have a Skies of Arcadia vibe to it, as opposed to the nature vibe of the first game.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2007, 05:50:09 AM »
I couldn't get into Skies of Arcadia but I really like the original CC.... hmmm...