Author Topic: Zack & Wiki  (Read 47537 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
RE:New Capcom Title: TREASURE ISLAND Z!
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2007, 07:04:05 PM »
I think that price point is a good way to introduce a new IP, especially on a Nintendo dominated console. Hopefully this is successful(provided that the game is good) and other 3rd parties take notice.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2007, 06:36:32 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
Mario and Mega Man would agree.  Spikes are but mere scratches.

I know spikes have been used often, but there's a big difference between being damaged by spikes and being "impaled" on them.

For example, this would fly back in the 16-bit days, but showing this in the level of detail that TIZ would no doubt require would and should raise the rating, no matter how cartoony it would be.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE: New Capcom Title: TREASURE ISLAND Z!
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2007, 05:05:41 PM »
Wait a minute, wait a minute here...

I think we are jumping into conclusions here.

First of all, I want to see video of the supposed impaling. For all we know, the guy could be greatly exaggerating and what really happened is that the spikes appealed, the character jumped back and started blinking. Or jumped back and died, and the scene started again.

Again, I want video footage, PRONTO!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2007, 05:16:35 PM »
That's' why I mention it: I ASSUME it'll cut away and restart the character before the actual impaling is shown, but bottom line: I wouldn't want my kids seeing something like that.

I actually consider something about a cute cartoon character suffering a gruesome death more disturbing than a realistic human character suffering the same.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2007, 03:27:14 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
That's' why I mention it: I ASSUME it'll cut away and restart the character before the actual impaling is shown, but bottom line: I wouldn't want my kids seeing something like that.

I actually consider something about a cute cartoon character suffering a gruesome death more disturbing than a realistic human character suffering the same.

I don't. I rather enjoy seeing Scratchy die in the most horrible way imaginable. Although just once I'd love to see the mouse get his.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2007, 08:11:43 PM »
I too, I missed that episode and they're not allowed to rerun it .

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2007, 06:44:57 AM »

Originally posted by: blackfootsteps
I don't. I rather enjoy seeing Scratchy die in the most horrible way imaginable. Although just once I'd love to see the mouse get his.

Although I acknowledge the sarcasm, there's no reason for the audience to be attached to Scratchy, especially since there's no player controlling his actions.

The lead character in a game being killed is intended to punish the player (just look at RE4) by showing them something unpleasant happening to their character and speaking as a guy who grew up playing games before the rating system showed up, that kind of sh*t could mess a kid up for days (Space Quest III was particularly fond of punishing the player for the death of the character by showing the most gruesome pictures of his demise after he had been killed, even though the game was largely trial and error so you had no idea how to survive most situations without numerous deaths beforehand).

So yeah, I hope TIZ doesn't have that kind of thing because it could add a taint to an otherwise entertaining game.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2007, 06:56:02 AM »
I have to contribute to SB's theory.

When I was a kid, I went to the arcade. A new game had been installed. It was called "Mortal Kombat". At first I thought the game was cool. Every boy in school was talking about it. One day when the arcade was somewhat empty, I decided to look at a guy playing MK. He was playing as Kano. It was then that I witnessed my first fatality ever, Kano's infamous heart rip. I was TRAUMATIZED from them on. I had never seen something as gruesome. I then kept seeing worse stuff, like the head rip, the explosions, the infamous pit (complete with decaying bodies) and characters being burned to a crisp.

The images were burned in my mind forever. It got to the point where I wanted to avoid anything MK, which was hard to do because everybody loved the game. It was till MK 3 hit that I grew up and realized that the violence was stupid and out there, so I grew to tolerate the series, then enjoy it.

Even if I grew up and became "decentized" towards game violence, the terrors I went through after I saw such brutality as a kid are still fresh in my mind.

And for the record, I always found the Itchy and Scratchy segments disturbing as hell as a kid, along with the Halloween specials (its a good thing that the infamous inside out dance sequence happened when I grew to tolerate blood and gore, otherwise it would've scarred me for life).  
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2007, 07:46:46 AM »
You know Itchy and Scratchy is a play off of Tom and Jerry and those times type of cartoons where blowing up the other character was considered about as mundane as tieing your shoes.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2007, 08:37:50 AM »
Yes, but there's a big difference between "comedic violence" and "impaling". The worst I remember from Tom and Jerry was when another mouse chopped off the tip of Tom's tail with a little fencing sword and Tom kept tying it back on.

In this case, Tom never actually dies, not unless it's done comedically where he gets a halo, harp and angel wings.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2007, 08:47:03 AM »
True, but I remember him getting chopped to bits, cooked, blown up, weights in the tail, etc.  Even Looney Tunes gets that violent.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2007, 02:38:55 PM »
Yeah I get what you blokes are saying. I think acceptibility of violent images such as the impaling example definitely varies on a child to child basis. I've got no problem with it personally but that's coming from someone who watched  Silence of the Lambs at age 8. Watching that movie from behind a cushion resulted in a very quick desensitivity to on-screen violence, for example as a boy I thought the Kano and Temple of Doom heart rips were brilliant.

EDIT: Should actually mention that the game looks very interesting. I've long been a fan of point and clicks, my favourites being Quest for Glory II and Lost Secrets of the Rainforest. The video for this game was highly colourful and I loved the sense of urgency that the game seems to provide.  
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2007, 02:48:42 PM »
Congrats on Quest of Glory 2.  Though I still believe Hero Quest was the best.  Though I would love for Sierra to redo the Q for G series for the Wii and Dr. Brain.  

Offline MODE_RED

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2007, 11:53:49 AM »
Here's to a touch version of Grim Fandango for DS and new version of Full Throttle for Nintendo Wii.
Developers, we should want gamers 2 fall in love with THEIR gaming experiences, not OUR feature lists. Let's not forget we're gamers too. But don't get stuck in your own dreams. What'd be special about dreams if we're all forced 2 dream the same thing? MODE RED

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2007, 03:37:43 PM »
I'll drink to that!

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2007, 08:20:40 AM »
According to NeoGAF, Treasure Island Z has got an official name now:

Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure!!

I think I like Treasure Island Z better....

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2007, 08:41:12 AM »
You only like "Treasure Island Z" better because it has a power level OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2007, 02:12:49 PM »
Now that's what I call a name change...

*scratches head*

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2007, 11:13:22 AM »
"Treasure Island Z": Mostly Demographic ambivalent name
"Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure!!": Screams Kid Game in the vane of those cheap series games that THQ makes.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2007, 11:37:54 AM »
They should shorten it down to "Barbaros' Treasure".

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2007, 11:56:21 AM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
They should shorten it down to "Barbaros' Treasure".

or "Quest for Barbaros Treasure"

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2007, 12:43:01 PM »
How about "Treasure Hunter Zack?"

No similarities to the book "Treasure Island," clear action-based titular description, Incorporates character name for future franchising possibilities and for strength of avatar based image, has that anime flair that's all the rage these days... and concise, straightforeward, sensible three letter title!

... I guess the only really saccharine part of the title is the "Quest for Barbaros' Treasure" bit, too grandiose and obviously non-threatening all at once.  

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2007, 12:44:45 PM »
The only thing to save this is to make it a murder simulation.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2007, 07:23:52 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
The only thing to save this is to make it a murder simulation with gesture-based waggle.
Fixed.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2007, 07:27:25 AM »
Waggle Island Z?

But I agree with Kairon "Treasure Hunter Zack" would have been fine. "Zack and Wiki" sounds too similar to "Jak and Daxter" with the first names sounding alike.