Author Topic: Zack & Wiki  (Read 47539 times)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
RE: New Capcom Title: TREASURE ISLAND Z!
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2007, 03:03:58 AM »
Games for Kids != Games for Everyone
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Pittbboi

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2007, 03:30:16 AM »
I agree with Ian, S_B and Adrock.

It isn't so much that people are asking for blood and guts in every game. That's NOT what "maturity" is and, for the most part, that's not what people are asking for when they ask for more mature titles on the Wii (though, those kind of immature "mature" games do have their place on any system). We're asking for games that look like they're being targeted at adults, with a mature art direction, storyline and theme that aren't just scraps from other consoles. Frankly, I'm sick of the whole "well, adults can play this, too" mentality, because it's not the same. I think what some people want are games aimed at late teens/adults...and not just kid themed games that adults can also get into if they're so inclined.

What's unnerving is the lack of variety. For the most part, new exclusive projects announced for the Wii have this definite "for kids" art style. It's all, as Ian put it, Super Fluffy Cloud Land. Now, those styles have their place, but so does the mature art style. I'm worried about big name developers still believing that a Nintendo console isn't the place for mature themed games. Heck, EA's new Wii project, that people seemed to be holding hopes for, has been described as being "for the Wii crowd" and having lots of "Sunshine". Now, I could be wrong, but those two descriptors don't lead me to believe that this game isn't going to be another...Super Fluffy Cloud Land. And this new Opoona game...I'm definitely interested as it seems to be an RPG, but the art style...again, Super Fluffy Cloud Land with a Super Fluffy Clowd Land story.

Now, there are some developers who believe the Wii is truly the console for everyone and making games that cater to the mature audience (No More Heroes FTW , Sonic,  and I will credit Ubi with their one decent exclusive effort, Red Steel). But the general consensus, as it stands now, seems to be that if you're creating an exclusive game for the Wii, make it for kids but provide just enough to keep mature audiences somewhat interested. That idea has it's place, but it's not variety, and it doesn't show increased support for the Wii over the Cube as far as type of support goes.

Mario game you've ever seen...UH OH, LOOKS KIDDY, GONNA BE AN EASY GAME RIGHT? And then there's Viewtiful Joe, which looked like a kiddy superhero game when it was first revealed...Just don't make assumptions...

Mario Sunshine didn't look kiddie at all, in my opinion. The actual levels looked gorgeous and it looked like a Mario game or most platformers did. It employed the same type of art style that Mario 64 did, just in a tropical island setting. I think the only "kiddie" thing about Mario Sunshine at first was the weird island people and the whole "SHINE GET!" thing.

Same thing with Viewtiful Joe. I don't know anyone who described that game as kiddie. Sure, it has a loud, cel-shaded art style, but Viewtiful Joe is the perfect example of bright colors employed in a mature way. Interesting, kick-a** beat-em-up style gameplay with a storyline that, while pretty nonsensical, was still more for adults than it was for kids. And the art style was very contemporary and urban, yet whimsical at the same time (very comic book). It wasn't  "let's make this look like something that would be a morning PBS cartoon". Viewtiful Joe, in my opinion, was the opposite of what most devs seem to be doing: it took an adult game with an adult style, and added just enough to it to make it interesting for kids.

Oh, and just because a game is hard doesn't mean it's for mature audiences. Sometimes "hard" can just be bad game design; and sometimes what makes a game mature can everything else in supplement to how it plays.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE:New Capcom Title: TREASURE ISLAND Z!
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2007, 04:47:43 AM »

Originally posted by: Pittbboi
Mario Sunshine didn't look kiddie at all, in my opinion. The actual levels looked gorgeous and it looked like a Mario game or most platformers did. It employed the same type of art style that Mario 64 did, just in a tropical island setting. I think the only "kiddie" thing about Mario Sunshine at first was the weird island people and the whole "SHINE GET!" thing.

Same thing with Viewtiful Joe. I don't know anyone who described that game as kiddie. Sure, it has a loud, cel-shaded art style, but Viewtiful Joe is the perfect example of bright colors employed in a mature way. Interesting, kick-a** beat-em-up style gameplay with a storyline that, while pretty nonsensical, was still more for adults than it was for kids. And the art style was very contemporary and urban, yet whimsical at the same time (very comic book). It wasn't  "let's make this look like something that would be a morning PBS cartoon". Viewtiful Joe, in my opinion, was the opposite of what most devs seem to be doing: it took an adult game with an adult style, and added just enough to it to make it interesting for kids.

You're missing my point...I'm talking about FIRST IMPRESSIONS from the initial screens/trailers (and you compared Sunshine to Mario 64, but I clearly stated a "What if you'd never seen a Mario game before?" scenario)...It's very, VERY easy to fall into assumptions about how a game will turn out based off of first impressions, particularly for a new IP, and I'm just pointing that fact out...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2007, 05:11:04 AM »
"But seriously, I'm trying to figure out how [cute art style = kiddy = really easy content] because that's a hell of an assumption"

It often depends on the developer.  Nintendo games are almost always for everyone.  Third parties though are a little more inconsistent.  When they make cutesy games it's not uncommon for it to actually be designed specifically for kids.  This one may not be BUT it is called Treasure Island Z and it has somewhat of a Pokemon sort of look to it.  If you saw an anime that looked like that you would assume it was for kids.

But the real issue is that we want Capcom's A material and that usually has a style more like Resident Evil.  Devil May Cry and Dead Rising don't look this.  The Wii has a lot of cutesy games and it appears that third parties aren't giving it their main focus so when we get another token cutesy game from a Japanese third party that has bigger stuff cooking on the other consoles things boil over.  It's not Treasure Island Z, it's Capcom not giving us the level of third party support we'd like.

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2007, 05:12:44 AM »
My god I miss the days when gamers weren't all a bunch of whining pussies.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2007, 05:13:41 AM »
If it's as fun as Gotcha Force I don't care whether it's "A level support".

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2007, 05:17:49 AM »

It often depends on the developer.  Nintendo games are almost always for everyone.  Third parties though are a little more inconsistent.

I guess that's true, but there are still cutesy games by third parties that provide fun and challenging experiences, and there's nothing wrong with hoping this is one of them!

This one may not be BUT it is called Treasure Island Z and it has somewhat of a Pokemon sort of look to it.  If you saw an anime that looked like that you would assume it was for kids.

I'm actually seeing a Zelda influence here, particularly Wind Waker (at least in terms of style)...

But the real issue is that we want Capcom's A material and that usually has a style more like Resident Evil.  Devil May Cry and Dead Rising don't look this.

Devil May Cry is hardly A material (but that's a different story)...Phoenix Wright, on the other hand, has a cutesy anime style and is A material...[A material =/= mature style]...  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2007, 05:51:20 AM »
Phoenix Wright is AAA! A true hidden gem.

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2007, 06:26:29 AM »
Game looks pretty good. I'll be keeping this one in my wish list
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2007, 06:32:29 AM »
The day of the mature game is over, the day of the non-game is dawning.

This looks pretty cool.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2007, 02:31:58 PM »
This thread needs less old women bitching about a game that was JUST ANNOUNCED and more

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2007, 07:46:35 PM »
what is with the bald, shirtless little boy?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2007, 10:03:34 PM »
He's the final boss.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2007, 01:01:58 PM »
*looks at Pro666*...Pedo.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2007, 01:12:19 PM »
On the subject of games which don't look their demographic, Banjo-Kazooie comes to mind.

Everything in that damn game had eyes and talked, but the game itself was easily one of the most difficult I ever played on the N64.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2007, 12:11:38 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
On the subject of games which don't look their demographic, Banjo-Kazooie comes to mind.

Everything in that damn game had eyes and talked, but the game itself was easily one of the most difficult I ever played on the N64.
I was just getting a B-K like vibe from those screens Infernal posted.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2007, 05:56:56 AM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
what is with the bald, shirtless little boy?

I'd say that he's half naked, except that he's just a torso, and since his torso is naked, it means that he's actually completely naked.

And yeah, those screens remind me of the 1st level in BK.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2007, 07:22:16 AM »
Noone has updated this thread in a while, so here are some new impressions and a video of some gameplay.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/04/handson_project.html

Do you remember an old Dynamix game called Gobliiins? It's okay if you don't. Capcom's Wii game Project: Treasure Island Z is very much like it -- the bizarre love child of Monkey Island and Wario Ware, a series of small adventure gamey-style puzzles where you don't know what you're doing until you try clicking on things which are just as likely to kill you as help you:

This actually got me really annoyed when I was playing the first few levels at Capcom's press event. "What the hell!", they could hear me shouting all the way back to the bar, as I got impaled on a bunch of hidden spikes or crushed by a giant stone boulder for clicking on the wrong thing. But it wasn't the bad kind of frustration. It was the delicious kind, the oh-you-cheating-mother-f***er-I'll-get-you-this-time kind.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/capcom/gallery-project-treasure-island-z-252331.php

Capcom's Project Treasure Island Z may have a horrid name, but Hironobu Takeshita's Wii game may be the most promising contender for sleeper hit of 2007. A dash of Monkey Island, with some charming Wario Ware Smooth Moves gimmickry make this puzzle adventure one to watch.

It's the kind of game that puts the fun back in frustration, gives new life to the point and click adventure genre, and makes single Wii-mote gaming a party.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/780/780374p1.html (the review)

http://media.wii.ign.com/media/893/893610/vids_1.html (the video)

game looks prety good, I'll definately keep an eye out for this one.  
And its reported to be released at only $39.99. that makes it even more appealing, especially with about 40 hours of gameplay.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2007, 08:39:45 AM »
It's the price that makes this FORTY HOURS WORTH OF PLAY game even more appealing.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2007, 09:20:13 AM »

as I got impaled on a bunch of hidden spikes

Uh...

E rating?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2007, 09:34:04 AM »
This game will LAUNCH at $39.99?... New era of cheaper gaming confirmed?

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2007, 09:34:12 AM »
Mario and Mega Man would agree.  Spikes are but mere scratches.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2007, 09:37:01 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666

And Sonic! Don't forget Sonic!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2007, 09:42:34 AM »

Originally posted by: pap64

Originally posted by: Professional 666

And Sonic! Don't forget Sonic!

Don't forget all the Mortal Kombatants.... oh wait.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2007, 06:53:45 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
This game will LAUNCH at $39.99?... New era of cheaper gaming confirmed?

It'll probably still be 60€ in Europe... Capcom does seem to go for cheaper games though, MMZX cost 30$ and MMZXA is confirmed to cost the same.