Author Topic: Manhunt 2 from Rockstar? Whoa...  (Read 77332 times)

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
RE: Manhunt 2 from Rockstar? Whoa...
« Reply #375 on: July 19, 2007, 11:56:49 PM »
Personally, I think Take Two should release the game in 2 forms. The original AO form would sell through their website or some vendor who would be interested in selling it, and the toned down M version that they gave the world and was sanctioned by all outlets. Then I could grab the AO version and experience the game as it is meant to be played, while Take Two still gives the game a full out release and doesn't have to hear BS about it.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: July 20, 2007, 06:07:31 AM »
That Take Two is spending time doing something to the game between now and October tells me that we will not be seeing an AO Manhunt 2 on Wii.  Maybe PC, who knows?
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Manhunt 2 from Rockstar? Whoa...
« Reply #377 on: July 20, 2007, 08:23:24 AM »

The difference between movies like Hostel and games like Manhunt 2 is that one is watched and played, while the other is simply watched...

And both are simulated.  I see little difference in the end result for the player/viewer.  If you want to get technical, people used to flock in droves to watch men battle to the death in Rome.  Is Manhunt worse than that?

The constant use of questionable analysis makes me so aggravated that I almost can't speak.  For instance, when has it been shown that watching simulated violence causes real world violent tendencies?  And if there is a report which states this (no matter how ridiculous it is, I assure you) where is the proof that it wasn't a the other way around?  A young person who already had violent or disturbing tendencies and actually sought out this type of media to indulge their fantasies?
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 10, 2007, 08:27:02 PM »
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #379 on: August 10, 2007, 09:23:19 PM »
RE4 Wii 9.0
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 11, 2007, 02:19:28 AM »
Manhunt 2 is my only Day 1, stand in line if necessary, purchase this year, as far as 3rd party games go.
Ans I will buy it a second time if they end up releasing an unedited/developer's cut somewhere down the line.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 01, 2007, 05:32:57 AM »
Well it looks like Holland gets the AO version of the game:

The Adults Only version of Manhunt 2 that created such a stir in North America and the United Kingdom over the last few weeks will now see the light of day -- but only in the European nation of Holland.

Current law in Netherlands prohibits the Dutch Ministry to interfere with the release of the game as originally cut by developer Rockstar Games, the same version of Manhunt 2 which would eventually be banned in both the US and UK. The title will now see release in America, but only after content was re-done in order for the game to be re-rated Mature.

"The current law is based on the principle that every adult is considered capable of deciding for himself which games he wants to play, unless it contains illegal material," said Dutch Justice Minister Ernst Hirsch Ballin in a letter to Parliament. "Deciding on whether children should be allowed to play a game is currently ‘the joint responsibility of parents, the audiovisual industry and the government."

Holland wins at life. (If that's possible for a mass of land to do).  

Offline UERD

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 01, 2007, 05:49:32 AM »
I thought it was NoA that decided that the game couldn't be sold as an AO game, not any legislators or laws. So blame NoA (or praise Nintendo of Holland, not that they exist!) :P.
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 01, 2007, 06:37:56 AM »
Well as a whole it's the publics perception of AO games that stems from these rating systems that make the companies not allow them to be published on thier system. IMO.

No one person or entity is to blame nor am I trying to pass off the blame but I was more or less pointing out that the line of thought that something rated for adults shouldn't just be blocked because it is for adults. Also that it is the joint responsibility of parents, the industry and the government to make sure kids don't get into games that they shouldn't be getting into. It just seems (at least in America) that all the "parenting" lays with a rating system and that's that. Some parent's never seem to take responsibility for monitoring what their children watch or play if it's bad and end up passing the blame on the industry thus making things the way they are.

Offline UERD

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 01, 2007, 07:00:44 AM »
Well, to play devil's advocate we are the country where every week some parent 'accidentally' bakes their kid in a car because they 'forgot'. So it's no wonder everyone wants to push parenting responsibilities elsewhere.

Still, I think you are right. NoA (and SCEA, for that matter) were probably overreacting. Americans are a lot more tolerant of extreme violence than extreme sex, and I seriously doubt releasing the game would have had any serious repercussions. It's not like all those grannies who picked up the Wii for the pack-in Wii Sports bowling game are going to see Manhunt on store shelves and take it home.

Ultimately, though, I think they don't want to set a precedent, where people will make AO games until someone hits the 'hot-button' jackpot and releases that one game that causes all sorts of real controversy and negative publicity. So there is probably a significant reputation/business component to their decision as well.
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 01, 2007, 07:11:08 AM »
True good point(s).

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 01, 2007, 12:31:41 PM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
Manhunt 2 is my only Day 1, stand in line if necessary, purchase this year, as far as 3rd party games go.
Ans I will buy it a second time if they end up releasing an unedited/developer's cut somewhere down the line.

Agreed.

I wish there was coop though. Imagine one of you distracting a guard while the other sneaks up and mmmuuuuuuuurdddddderrs them. Awesome.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 01, 2007, 12:32:40 PM »
I still find it kind of funny that a sequel to a game that got less than positive reactions is being so anticipated. Hopefully it turns out good.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 01, 2007, 12:43:33 PM »
Well I'm also looking forward to the sequels of RedSteel and Raving Rabbids. Is that weird?

Plus, everything should at least be given a chance to be good especially if the prequel was without Wiimote interaction.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 01, 2007, 01:30:15 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
I still find it kind of funny that a sequel to a game that got less than positive reactions is being so anticipated. Hopefully it turns out good.

Hey it worked for KillZone right?

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: September 07, 2007, 08:36:22 AM »
I feel likes such an idiot right now..
Over on gonintendo they posted a link to youtube with a video on an news story about Manhunt 2. The story was on nbc and was one of the worst stories i'd ever seen. The opening line of the segment sums it up:

“Critics are calling it the most violent video game EVER for kidsâ€
It was such bad reporting that i felt compelled to write nbc a letter, which i never do because its a waste of time. I did though, it was very long and well written, then i deleted it by mistake after typing away for so long. I'm a tard

anyway i don't have a link to the video but here is the rundown:
a 17yo is introduced as an avid video game player who tells the reporter how easy it was to buy an M rated game. Reminder: he's 17. The story mentions how some legislators are mad about its change from an AO to an M rating. Then comes senator Leland Yee who says they've asked the ESRB why it was changed and received “No satisfactory answers, they've pretty much said 'Trust us'â€
Also, after the “warning, what you're about to see is graphic†for parents, they show a few clips from the game that are incredibly blurry and as far as i can tell only show punches and the like, not the brutal stuff the reporter mentioned.

February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 13, 2007, 07:49:17 AM »
so has anyone seen the videos that gametailers.com has up for manhunt 2?
supposedly their the UNCENSORED version of various weapon killings, and i must say...

their not as gruesome as i thought. after seeing those videos i honestly dont see how this violence is any different then stuff we've already seen. especially when you take the graphics into consideration... things look even less realistic. if this was an HD game but had the same art style i could see being a little more grossed out by some of these death animations but as it is.. its kinda laughable.

in most cases its just a head exploding, like in re4 except re4 looks muuuuch better, and much more gruesome because of it. in Manhunt2 theirs just a ridiculous amount of blood that is reminiscent of the splatters you'd see in an Oldschool mortal kombat game. it doesnt look realistic in anyway, and the camera pans around so much that you dont see much of whats going on. I'm not implying the camera controls suck, everyone by now should know that when you go into one of these death animations the camera changes angles to stylize the violence, but the way it does it actually tones down the violence because you can never truly see whats going on.

the most gruesome thing i saw was a Death by Sythe animation... your character jumps on the back of another character (in one of the many possible animations you'll see) and begins to tear the "enemy's" face off.... or maybe he's pulling his brain out thru his nose..... honestly you CANT TELL. all you see is a hand w/ sythe in front of the characters face, lots of fake looking blood (loooks too thick and cartoonish) and then his head explodes as he falls off screen.

so yeah, you cant tell whats going on but i still found it to be the most gruesome death, why? i think it has to do with the fact that in other forms of media, like film, we're so used to seeing more, much more and in more detail, that our brain "fills in the blanks" so to speak. all i was a hand with a weapon in front of someones face and my brain told me to think "he's pulling out his brain thru his nose." does that make me a sick person, or does that simply show that i enjoyed reading about Egyptian culture and knew that the brains of the deceased were pulled out via the nasal cavity before mumification and had an idea of what it would look like because i've seen it done in R rated movies..?

after seeing that i feel really cheated that what ships on halloween next month will be a toned down version of a game that wasnt even that violent....

ps.

the scene where you wrip someones testes out with a pair of pliers (sp?) was lame. the guy is just standing there when you sneak up behind him and your hand goes between his legs, lots more of that fake looking blood then you have an unidentifiable object you throw away. same thing goes for the version of it where you rip out their throat. you cant tell what you ripped out, you just see something red in the pliers but the guys neck is intact..

EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 13, 2007, 09:53:26 AM »
I don't think I'm getting this game anymore, I will be waiting to see what several review sites have to say though.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #393 on: September 17, 2007, 11:22:43 AM »
If it allows me to be the stealthy bald caucasian super-ninja i've wanted to be, i'm all for it.

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 18, 2007, 05:16:05 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
If it allows me to be the stealthy bald caucasian super-ninja i've wanted to be, i'm all for it.

There is always the Hitman series. I could have sworn I read a while back that Eidos had a Wii version in development. Probably Hitman: The Movie: The Game LOL
PEACE--->Rhoq

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #395 on: September 18, 2007, 06:44:48 AM »
The Non-Game

=D

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 26, 2007, 06:14:09 AM »
manhunt 2 for $39.99

« Reply #398 on: October 30, 2007, 12:49:07 AM »
Garbage Pail Kids 2: The Hunt For Nat Nerd.  Coming soon to the Wii!
Not just flowers,I love them all like weeds and     veget
able.

I want to do garden forever.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 30, 2007, 06:03:10 AM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
Jeff Haynes (who?) at IGN

He's from the PSP/PS2/PS3 faction on IGN. You see, IGN now assigns one person to review a same game that is on several platforms, instead of having one reviewer per platform.