Author Topic: Manhunt 2 from Rockstar? Whoa...  (Read 77374 times)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: Manhunt 2 from Rockstar? Whoa...
« Reply #125 on: May 22, 2007, 07:02:21 AM »
I'll bite.

And to throw my 2¢ in, there are far too many stupid kids for games like this to NOT influence them. Kids are impressionable, especially those in the deep south.

However, if we censor media because of the stupid, then we're basically just conceding to an indirect form of terrorism, since censorship for fear of encouraging violence is still sparked by the fear of violence.

Also, in terms of violence, I think the 300 was probably far worse than anything we'll see in this game.  
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE:Manhunt 2 from Rockstar? Whoa...
« Reply #126 on: May 22, 2007, 07:31:49 AM »
I played the original on PC.  It wasn't a bad game, but it certainly wasn't fantastic.  It was pretty much a stealth game with some over the top violence thrown in for good measure.

Originally posted by: Gamebasher
Being Link in the Legend of Zelda series is to me far from the same, since the killing part is done by nesscesity alone to save Hyrule and not by pleasure. Manhunt is a game about killing for fun! There is NO reason for the kills other than for fun!
As SUPER already alluded to, the killing isn't done for fun, per se.  The plot of the game is pretty much a rip-off of The Running Man.  You've been abducted by some sicko who throws you into this abandoned city full of video cameras and mentally deranged gang members.  The only way you can win your freedom is to fight your way out.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Gamebasher

• Flaming the competition...
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 22, 2007, 10:55:34 PM »
As I already stated, I did not play the game, nor do I intend to. I just read the reviews, and I always do that if I am not sure about a game. Running man, huh? Well, so long as it is for a justified reason, it seems OK then I guess. I don´t recall where I read that review which said that it was about mindless violence. But then again, one can never know what a game is like until playing it. But now I have at least read your comments on that game, and understood that it is not what I was told about it. I do recall though one of my friends who was playing the first GTA and how he openly admitted that he loved it for being able to knock down people with baseball bats in the street, and cutting up pregnant women with chainsaws. I expressed my disgust so loudly, that he stopped playing the game. After that he only played it when I wasn´t there.

I hope that every developer out there will keep in mind, though, to watch out for what games they develope, so that the stupid impressionable kids do not go, and become debased from playing them. Games should be about entertainment. Not about being trained for atrocious behaviour through game simulations made by uncaring game companies. But we always have Jack Thompson to help out in such cases, don´t we?

Smash_Brother - What did you mean by this:

"And to throw my 2¢ in, there are far too many stupid kids for games like this to NOT influence them." ???????

That the number of such games is so abundant, that they are so used to them, they wont influence them at all anylonger? Just wondered.

Nintendo is the originator of videogame innovation! The Great Mover of the Industry. Past, present and future. Rightfully, the King of Videogaming!

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 23, 2007, 04:21:00 AM »
This whole argument also reminds me of how people speak of the original The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.  It should banned because of the violence, people get their heads lopped off, won't someone think of the children blah blah blah.  When you actually see the film, there's less blood than a CSI episode.  I think our imagination is far more destructive to how we value life in general.  If you have a predisposition to wanting to gut someone, seeing it in a game would be cool to you, and perhaps edge you closer to doing it yourself.  But again, that person was already in that frame of mind anyway.

I don't think anyone with a fairly normal human skill set actually becomes a killer because they watch Friday the 13th films.  I agree with Smash Bro on one point-stupidity can be a problem.  But it is with everything from tv commercials to the news.  You can;'t "protect" society from stupidity, or even viciousness.  It will always exist.  I don't care if we go back to living in caves-we'll still be killing men with our pet rock.

Games, films and music reflect the world we live in, not the other way around.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 23, 2007, 04:28:11 AM »

I don´t know what you mean, when you write that some countries are left unaffected and others not. To me, this violence in the media is a scourge which saturates society affecting every person in the world who play games, or watch really violent movies. Sometimes I feel that the reason why there has been a surge in police brutality, militarization of the Police is because they deal with ever increasing brutality from people in society, and so have to take their precautions, and be ready to strike when the unavoidable happens. When people boil over in their brains.

What I mean by that is a country like Canada, or Japan or dozens of others which are exposed to the same media we are don't have the same volume of violence in their respective societies.  Well, how can that be?  If a game like Manhunt, or GTA influence our children so much, why is it only in certain areas of the world that violent crime is out of control?  The answer?  It's because violent crime has little to do with absorbing violent media (games, books, films, music).  There are a multitude of things that go into making a person violent, and violent video games isn't one of them.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 23, 2007, 07:03:59 AM »
I don't want to turn this political, but economic disparity always causes social tension..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 23, 2007, 07:38:45 AM »
Agreed.

Someone who's hungry is more willing to steal an apple than someone who's full.

Still, the argument that the media doesn't shape us isn't entirely true. I've watched Sin City countless times, but besides entertaining me for a couple hours, it really didn't affect who I was at all. However, I've watched The Lion King countless times as well and that has shaped me morally.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 23, 2007, 07:54:42 AM »
...you believe in bigamy now?

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 24, 2007, 05:10:11 AM »

Originally posted by: Gamebasher
That the number of such games is so abundant, that they are so used to them, they wont influence them at all anylonger? Just wondered.

I meant that kids will be impressionable but that censoring things out of fear is ridiculous because people can fear just about anything.

If it's not kids and violence, it'll be something else.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Gamebasher

• Flaming the competition...
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 24, 2007, 11:14:55 AM »
OK, Smash_Brother: Thanks, I understand you now.

The Omen, wrote:

"Games, films and music reflect the world we live in, not the other way around."

Well, that is an interesting way of putting it. Still, I think you are partly right, not completely right. I believe, and have always strongly believed, that there is an interest in the furthering of violence in the world as violence creates a breeding ground for war. You can´t have a war somewhere that is just coming out of nothing. It has to come for some reason. However, I think that if there isn´t any wars to fight, hell, somebody will go make a goddamn war! Because war is business for the weapons industry. That is physical warfare. Now back to violence in the media. Violence in the tv, magazines, on the pc screen is mind violence. And this is also business for those who started it because it creates fear in people. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering (in Jedi Master Yoda´s own words). People who are afraid are easier to control! When you have them angry, they are out of control, and so even easier to steer so to speak. When they hate - you can make them create physical wars on many levels just short of outright civil war of YOUR choosing. This is also called mass manipulation. Or mass deception.

I believe this is the very reason why there is so much violence in the media. Is fully intended. It´s not only the way people are (or we would all be in deep trouble) that brings violence in the media. It´s also those behind the media who have a reason of their own for wanting to control all of us! I think that here too, I feel this, someone has since a beginning sometime in the past decades, agreed that THIS would be the way in which they could keep power, and keep the common man from thinking. Just look at how HIGH a percentage of the games that exist are about being involved in conflicts in one form or the other. See? They keep us busy fighting, say, virtual wars, so they can keep us from thinking about "other" things. Such as what direction they are taking our society into! Who knows what would have happened to us all already if it wasn´t for an alert citizenry and Congress!

I know it can sound paranoid. But I have heard it from too many people over the years to think it to be a lie. To me it makes perfect sense. It´s the only explanation for the massive presence of violence in the media, because I refuse to believe that every individual in the world is just that violent at heart. We are not the only ones creating that virtual violence. Others simply have found it to be a smart way to keep us busy while they do "other" things which they then hope we will never find out about. Still, I do believe that there is many good people at the top of government, but the bad ones have the control. For now.

Anyways, this is my view of violence in the media!

Nintendo is the originator of videogame innovation! The Great Mover of the Industry. Past, present and future. Rightfully, the King of Videogaming!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 24, 2007, 11:30:27 AM »
Violence is interesting because people enjoy the fact that its not happening to them.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #136 on: May 24, 2007, 01:46:04 PM »
It's cheap thrill.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 24, 2007, 03:41:34 PM »
Let's not get political, but I believe that violence is a natural part of the human experience, and as such, is by itself not dangerous.

What's dangerous is the INTENT behind the violence (or lack of). And maturity, education, understanding, communication, moderatin, parenting, and morality are the best defence against BOTH unecessary manifestations of violence AS WELL AS the best defense against being hoodwinked by violence-as-entertainment.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 25, 2007, 10:37:35 AM »
You guys need to read IGN's latest impressions the game sounds brutal, not to mention it sounds like the definitive version (and it seems like Rockstar put effort behind making the game look better on Wii). Here is the article
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 25, 2007, 11:02:08 AM »
By the time this is out, there will have been 4 rated M games on the Wii: Far Cry Vengeance, Godfather, RE: 4 Wii, and this.... And I'll have them ALL!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

... But I also have Cooking Mama, Kororinpa, and am eagerly awaiting the release of Dog Island. So I think that makes me balanced between hardcore and non-gamer, violent and non-violent.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 25, 2007, 11:03:08 AM »
Yup, I'm definitely getting this game, well I was already inclined to get it but the ign impressions helped clearing my indecision.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 25, 2007, 12:28:38 PM »
"The Wii version of Manhunt 2 looks noticeably better than the PS2 version. Rockstar Toronto has used the extra horsepower that Nintendo's console delivers to "up the gore." This is done in a few key ways. For starters, character models in the Wii version will display realistic blood splatters, bruising, gunshot wounds, gashes, and head wounds. In addition, blood will actually spray the screen during combat and executions in the Wii iteration, just as it will accumulate on Danny as he explores the asylum. Considering how important the gore factor is to Manhunt 2, these are all welcomed additions. The title meanwhile looks very sharp on Wii, moves at a steady 30 frames per second, and runs in both 480p and 16:9 widescreen modes."

Excellent. No PS2 port sh*t here.

I can enjoy a very dark game once in a while, like Godfather, ED or RE4. You don't play them so much as survive them, but it's enjoyable in a different way than standard gaming. It's a rewarding feeling to come through them.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 25, 2007, 02:50:46 PM »
Hearing about mimicking the hand motions to manually remove someones testicles turned me off to this game.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 25, 2007, 04:54:20 PM »
And turned this Trauma Center fan ON.  

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #144 on: May 25, 2007, 05:12:12 PM »

If you walk into a lighted zone, an on-screen meter lets you know enemy's can see you.

We sight a guard with his back to us.

lol sounds like Matt needs an editor

As he violently kills some of the club's inhabitants, he picks up their bodies and hides them in the shadows so he's not discovered - again, a mechanic clearly inspired by Splinter Cell.

Or maybe Metal Gear or Thief lol.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 25, 2007, 10:56:01 PM »
KIlling and hiding the corpses is a Hitman feature

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 25, 2007, 11:39:36 PM »
OK, now I like murdering people just as much as everyone else here, but from what I've read, this game is crossing the line.  Seriously, there comes a time when killing people can be fun and happy, but this game is murder in a very depressing and sad kind of way.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #147 on: May 26, 2007, 02:43:23 AM »
Eviscerating guys in a video game is the only way I can sexually satisfy myself anymore and I won't stand for anybody trying to discourage the success of this game!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 26, 2007, 03:48:56 AM »
I'll pass on this game.  I guess I'm not a very good "Gamer Freak."
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 26, 2007, 09:55:41 AM »

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
OK, now I like murdering people just as much as everyone else here (Really? I have never killed anyone, nor would I.), but from what I've read, this game is crossing the line.  Seriously, there comes a time when killing people can be fun and happy (Dude, you need help.), but this game is murder in a very depressing and sad kind of way.

They're only virtual puppets by the way.