Author Topic: Wii Hunting Nightmares...Literally!  (Read 5830 times)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Wii Hunting Nightmares...Literally!
« on: January 04, 2007, 02:28:51 PM »
So yeah, aside from obsessing about SSBM back in the day and accidentally giving myself dreams about THAT, next on my list is Wii hunting.

I've been having a reoccurring dream where I'm in a gigantic mall-like complex with literally dozens of potential stores that COULD be selling Wiis. I'm always running around frantically, hoping that, by some miracle, this store's shipment will have JUST arrived and I'll be there in time to snatch one up. Also, in the dreams, I'll frequently find a Wii in its box, then flip it over and it's been destroyed with all of the electronics hanging out everywhere, like it was returned that way.

It's like I've managed to elevate the Wii to a mythical level in my dreams due to its elusiveness, despite the fact that I've bought three already, because I still need at least two more for friends who want them.

I know it seems like the most trivial sh*t haunts me, but these are two friends I failed to deliver for at xmas and I've never stopped feeling bad about it.

Who else here is still Wii hunting, lurker or regular? Also, anyone else in the "Please get me one if you can find it!" situation when it comes to friends/family?  
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Leck

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Wii Hunting Nightmares...Literally!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 02:39:58 PM »
The other day I dreamt that I woke up and got dressed, and ready for work.

Then I woke up and had to do it all again :|
[ something witty here ]

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
RE: Wii Hunting Nightmares...Literally!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 02:42:07 PM »
aw man that sounds sucky, i woke up went to school did a test, then woke up went to school did a test
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 02:56:24 PM »
I dreamt that my mom shot me in the arm with a shotgun. ):

As for the topic, I still have no Wii, but I'm not really hunting for one.  I'll get one when supply catches up to demand.
GOREGASM!

Offline D_MaN87

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 03:05:38 PM »
I remember the day before the day I started lining up (the 17th), i had nightmares about not getting it, or being robbed afterwards, etc..
Wii Number: 1080 3358 2033 2880
FF3 Number: 2620 7985 5351
Diddy Kong Racing DS: 0688 1563 4718

Offline raptorspike

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 03:16:52 PM »
I don't have to hunt. i can go to one of a few stores in the area, and one will have it. But since I just bought a DS, i'm going to wait until march to buy a Wii. I say march because that is when more of the games I want should be available.  

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 03:29:45 PM »

Originally posted by: raptorspike i can go to one of a few stores in the area, and one will have it.

Where do you live and do you have a guest bedroom/sofa?
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 07:55:34 AM »
I don't understand why you've placed it upon yourself to buy Wiis for all of your friends.  And I REALLY don't understand why you have to regale us with tales and dreams of your efforts either.

If these people, who aren't you, want Wiis so much, why can't they buy them themselves?

Maybe they're just using you.  Some people are into being used.  I'm not judging though.  Whatever goes on in your mind is your business.
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 06:06:14 PM »

Originally posted by: matt oz
I don't understand why you've placed it upon yourself to buy Wiis for all of your friends.  And I REALLY don't understand why you have to regale us with tales and dreams of your efforts either.

If these people, who aren't you, want Wiis so much, why can't they buy them themselves?

Maybe they're just using you.  Some people are into being used.  I'm not judging though.  Whatever goes on in your mind is your business.

Sweet dreams are made of these...who am I to disagree?

Half of it comes from being known as a resourceful guy and the other half comes from being a Nintendo fanboy.

Appreciation is nice, too. When I surprised my GF with the one I got for her, her reaction couldn't have been much more enthusiastic had I proposed.

On the subject of discussing it, come again? Last I checked, this is a forum for discussing a game console. I think the question of frivolity of discussion went out the window the moment we created accounts here.

Offline MorningStar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 06:26:58 PM »
I've never heard that word, frivolity... *looks it up*...lack of seriousness? One can join these forums and still expect seriousness.

Anyways, I sometimes feel a little crappy because I lucked out on getting a Wii. I went to the old Gamestop I used to work at and saw my old manager who liked me. She signed me up for a free suscription of Game Informer and about 2 weeks later I received my first issue. I had COMPLETELY abandoned console gaming and was strictly a PC gamer (aka. Battlefield 2 and first Call of Duty) for about a year. When I looked in the magazine I happened to see an article on the Wii and realized that the last I heard about the Nintendo system was when it was still the Revolution. A few weeks later I decided to run to Target at around 4 AM on launch day and got myself a Wii without much trouble.

Sorry, dude.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 06:44:03 AM »
I'd say frivolous is apt. We're not discussing world politics, foreign policy, religious struggles or the death penalty. We're talking about video games.

Even then, the problem I'm mentioning here is a genuine one for many gamers who tried to acquire Wiis and still ARE. I was wondering if anyone else here has had similar experiences on the matter because, after all, forums are nothing more than a virtual locale to discuss experiences.

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 07:12:57 PM »
Fair enough.

Maybe I'm just cynical because I don't like anyone enough to buy a Wii for them.
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 07:43:39 PM »

Originally posted by: matt oz
Maybe I'm just cynical because I don't like anyone enough to buy a Wii for them.

That's definitely fair.

The people who are looking for them are very close friends who have had my back on more than one occasion, hence why I willingly go out of my way to try and get Wiis for them.

If it started working its way out to "friend of a friend" then yeah, I wouldn't be hunting very hard at that point, and that's to say, not at all.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2007, 05:06:05 AM »
Helping out friends is never a bad thing. Good friends will always be there for you and will never forget such a kind gesture.

On the note of finding a Wii. I have looked through nearly every store around for weeks and still haven't spotted a Wii. Stores seem to have oodles of PS3s in stock but not a single Wii in sight. I guess they just sell out instantly whenever they are put out on the shelf, or Nintendo is supplying close to nothing to these retailers. It's a good thing I'm not looking for one because it definitely wouldn't turn out well.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 12:43:56 PM »
Look at it this way Smash Brother. At least you weren't in a tight fitting pair of underwear in that dream mall of yours. I mean searching for a Wii is hard enough without having to keep stuffing your junk back inside droor every three seconds.

Edit: Can't spall

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 12:53:43 PM »
It's worse than that.

It was a thong.

Offline Rancid Planet

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2007, 12:55:58 PM »
Oh man! Console shopping in a banana hammock dreams?

I pity you like Mr. T man...you poor poor foo you.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2007, 01:04:35 PM »
Actually FINDING a Wii in my dream would have taken the sting off of it a bit...

Or should I say, the chafe.

Offline Rancid Planet

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2007, 06:27:01 PM »
*golf clap*

Offline Dan_Flyhight

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 04:40:56 AM »
You know I find it amazing that you can remember your dream so vividly...I can barely ever do that.
If ever the acid-spitting llamas ever engulf your esophagus out of fear for their own pancreas, you know who to call...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 04:57:51 AM »
If it makes you feel better Smash.  I was searching for my brother and just happened on a way out of the way Walmart where my wifes work.. (like over a 100 miles from what you call a midsize town.)  They had just gotten six in the day before and didn't even have them on display.  In fact I thought they didn't have them just controllers but I decided to ask anyway because I knew the controllers where as rare as the Wii.  They still had three that where spoken for but the people hadn't arrived yet so they let me buy one for my brother.  I called him and he hadn't found one yet.  So its going to him but I had full intention that if he had I was going to offer it to you and the others here.  Just the cost and shipping would be all I ask.  I'll keep my eyes open and if I luck out I'll post about it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2007, 08:33:58 AM »
I might take you up on that, actually.

Here's my advice for anyone likewise saddled with this issue: make a list of all of the local Best Buy, TRU, Circuit City, Target, etc. stores and of their store hours. Then, wake up a half hour earlier and CALL the store and ask if they have any Wiis going on sale that morning.

Hasn't worked for me yet, but it's the best bet for covering the most ground without ever leaving your home.