Author Topic: I met my first skeptic today  (Read 7558 times)

Offline segagamer12

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
I met my first skeptic today
« on: December 18, 2006, 05:51:49 AM »
I got this friend who bought a 360 for her boyfriend last night and she came over to ask us if we could stash it somewhere. Well me and my friend were playing COD3 on Wii. We asked her if she would get him one and she said no cuz he wouldn't like it.

Well COD3 got boring so we popped in Wii Sports and tried to get her to play and she laughed at us and said no way it looks stupid. She continues to make fun of anyone who plays Wii and says she doesnt get it it looks so stupid.

Nintendo still has thier work cut out for them I think.  
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
    • View Profile
RE:I met my first skeptic today
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 06:02:42 AM »
Anyone who would continually refuse to play because it "looks stupid" must be incredibly self-conscious. Honestly, her opinion means nothing to me. There are always going to be people who are so stubborn in their views that there is virtually no chance of winning them over. Then again, it just might take her seeing the right game before she'll want to try it. Games like Wii Sports, Rayman, or Wario Ware might look stupid to some people, but more traditional games might be appealing.

In my own experience, I have seen people who love the Xbox really enjoy the Wii. I have not got one to purchase one yet, but in time (maybe with a price drop) I think they will get one.
Thanks for listening.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: I met my first skeptic today
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 06:16:18 AM »
Kill that b!tch.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Chiller

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 06:35:37 AM »
Break her nose, and then ask her "who looks stupid now?"

On a serious note, I have noticed the same thing.  However, it is coming from people who have actually purchased, or tried to purchase a system.  They always say how they really enjoy the gamelpay, but feel stupid when someone watches them play: a catch 22, I suppose.  I am sure that, with time, people will get over it.  It really doesn't look that much worse than a bunch of guys sitting around alone on a Saturday night, with headsets on, playing the latest flavour-of-the-month FPS, while shouting out as if they were actually in combat.
"Mweeeep"
Charles Seeburg

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 07:12:46 AM »
The Wii is always going to win people over when they actually play it. To see people playing the games doen not do it justice. I would bet that if that girl actually tried it instead of just blowing it off, she would change her mind.  And if not, kick her in the junk...
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline WalkingTheCow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 07:56:02 AM »
I actually think this "problem" is somewhat temporary. It's a new, alien thing and thus puts people off but as these people see it more and a few of their friends own it it'll become more normal to them and they'll be more accepting.

That said, there will always be those few people who'll always think all sorts of stuff is "totally lame" and weird or whatever else.

Offline willie1234

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 08:00:54 AM »
... because sitting hunched over a dual shock looks sooo cool.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 08:32:47 AM »
You know what else looks stupid? BUYING A $400 MASS OF ELECTRONICS FOR YOUR BOYFRIEND. Not your husband, not your fiance, your boyfriend. Now THAT'S f**king stupid.

With a brain like that, is it any wonder she jumps to conclusions?
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 09:32:56 AM »
Well to every ying, there is a yang...

I know a chick who literally BEGGED her parents for a Wii. Mind you, she is rich......and cute......but insanely weird at the same time (not weird enough, however, to displace you and make you feel awkward, but weird enough for you to laugh at her from time to time for the goofy sh#t she gets into or says).

She also wants a PS3 and 360 though....

Matter of fact, she's a total geek...(she has far more GC games than I do (I own 16))

"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 10:35:16 AM »
given popularity, that is, if Wii becomes popular enough, chances are she will eventually try it to see what it's all about.  Then she will assertain if it really is fun or not.......to her.
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 10:37:28 AM »

Originally posted by: Requiem
Matter of fact, she's a total geek...(she has far more GC games than I do (I own 16))

If you were rich and cute I'm sure you would have more games than you currently do.

Thanks for listening.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 11:57:52 AM »
Just wait until the Wii becomes the #1 console.  Then, being the self-concious people they are, they'll have no choice but to get one.

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 01:42:17 PM »
Can't win 'em all.

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 02:17:37 PM »

Originally posted by: MarioAllStar

Originally posted by: Requiem

If you were rich and cute I'm sure you would have more games than you currently do.

True...

But first off, she's a girl...

and secondly, she's real cute...

I just described the EXACT opposite of almost all gamers out there.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2006, 11:55:20 PM »
She is a really good friend its just peopel around here are hard core sony fans and a few Ms fans and most people hate Nintendo. I think it is because, or well from what they say, somethign to do with Sega being more popular in Mexico everyone bshed Nintendo and then got into playstation somewhere along the way. I could be wrong but thats hwo I been told it.

regarding the boyfriend issue, they live together thast good enough for most people round here. We have a REALLY HIGH teen pregancy rate. She aint pregnant but thast besides the point.

She is tn the only one I have others who enjoy Wii Sports and Madden bt think Wii over all is silly and noone except e few people want one. Jackpot isnt a normal town, reality doesnt work here so it iwll not affect the outcome. Its juts my observationts.  
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline thejeek

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006, 12:10:13 AM »

Originally posted by: Dirk Temporo
You know what else looks stupid? BUYING A $400 MASS OF ELECTRONICS FOR YOUR BOYFRIEND. Not your husband, not your fiance, your boyfriend. Now THAT'S f**king stupid.

Umm, so people are not allowed to buy expensive presents for their partner unless they're either married or engaged? I'd better take everything I bought for my girlfriend (been together for the last 10 years) back to the shops then, as she's clearly not eligable. I think you need to get a grip here...

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2006, 02:40:09 AM »

Dude I agree. If he was smart he'd take the electronics and run for his life   My buddy made the mistake of buying his girlfriend a PC and she dumped him a couple months later and didn't give it back. What a bizzitch...
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2006, 06:32:48 AM »
I think it depends on the people, but buying $400 of stuff for a boyfriend/girlfriend doesn't seem unusual to me.

(Even if I disregard the stupid fact that I spent more than that (total) on a girl who totally didn't like me back in high school.  At least she paid me back for the $50 leather jacket before telling me to get out of her face.  >_>  Yes, I was stupid.  Most of what I spent was on scalped concert tickets.  Don't buy from scalpers, it's stupid.)

But no, seriously.  $400 isn't much to sneeze at, but at the same time it's not really a lot.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2006, 03:54:11 AM »

And Dirk hits on the reason she thinks it looks stupid.  Everyone loves their own money, and just hours earlier gf just spent $400 on a game system for bf that is not the Wii. Her reaction is natural: she's defending her money, which is currently in the form of an Xbox 360 rather than a Wii.

Anyway, the title of this post says it all: the skeptics are rare compared to the people who find it interesting.  I have yet to meet a proper Wii skeptic.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline thejeek

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2006, 09:54:55 AM »
I've met a Wii skeptic: me. I'm far from convinced. Apart from some multiplayer Wii Sports and Rayman, mine's sitting relatively unused. Choice of games here in Europe that are not mini games, not Zelda and not demonstrably crap is limited to Monkey Ball, which is a mixed bag at best. The game that's had far and away the most single player play has been a second hand copy of PN.0.3 I picked up last week to stave off the boredom. I think at best the Wii has potential - considering only the launch line up, it's a party game only system (plus Zelda, which bores the pants off me as a franchise and in it's latest incarnation has eye rendingly bad graphics - both technically and art direction). I was looking forward to Virtual Console games, but so far that's been disappointing too - the release rate is glacial and the choice of titles is baffling.

Offline franky005

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2006, 10:24:19 AM »
Bad graphics, and art direction?  I agree that it's not PS3 quality, but in now way did I ever expect it to be.  Not stellar graphics does not mean horrible graphics.  I have found myself wandering around doing nothing in this Zelda game more than any other game, it has been a joy just to play.  I can understand if you don't like this type of game, but the graphics are in no way bad.
Number 81

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2006, 10:34:36 AM »

Originally posted by: thejeek
I've met a Wii skeptic: me. I'm far from convinced. Apart from some multiplayer Wii Sports and Rayman, mine's sitting relatively unused. Choice of games here in Europe that are not mini games, not Zelda and not demonstrably crap is limited to Monkey Ball, which is a mixed bag at best. The game that's had far and away the most single player play has been a second hand copy of PN.0.3 I picked up last week to stave off the boredom. I think at best the Wii has potential - considering only the launch line up, it's a party game only system (plus Zelda, which bores the pants off me as a franchise and in it's latest incarnation has eye rendingly bad graphics - both technically and art direction). I was looking forward to Virtual Console games, but so far that's been disappointing too - the release rate is glacial and the choice of titles is baffling.

Yet you still bought one.  Your skepticism is far more justified than the person in the first post, but on the other hand, you don't fall under the "Nintendo has their work cut out for them" category since you caved in and bought one.

Offline xanrastafari

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2006, 04:58:20 PM »
I think the funniest skeptic I've encountered told me he didn't want  a Wii because he was more or less too lazy to wave his arms around while playing a game.  He waned to sit back and press buttons.

I smiled and nodded, because he's my sister's fiancee, but I was laughing my ass off inside.

Offline thejeek

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2006, 10:39:32 AM »
@franky005 - obviously graphics are a matter of taste and polygon count and texture resolution aren't everything, but for me, TP's semi-realistic style combined with the low image quality looks badly dated - I much preferred the look of Wind Waker - it seemed more original and worked better within the limitations of the hardware.

@couchmonkey - I bought mine partly because I hope it'll get decent content further down the line - the Cube got maybe 20 or 30 really pretty good games and that was plenty to keep me going over the lifetime of the system. To be fair to the Wii, it's probably going worth it for the party games alone. My friends all love it and it's really good to be able to play stuff that they all like. Otherwise they'd generally not touch a games console as they don't have the time or the inclination to get deeply invested in long, difficult games - they just want something instantly rewarding to play when we all get home from the pub. However, I also want stuff that's a bit more hardcore than that and the release schedule so far looks a bit bleak.

@xanrastafari - have you tried Raving Rabbids - some of the games made my arms hurt like mad and I play drums in a punk band so I'm not afraid of thrashing my arms about wildly! (It's great fun though, and quite addictive but serious lactic acid ouch!)

[edit - remove redundant rambling...]

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2006, 02:33:32 AM »
Well, for hardcore games, you've got Mario, Sonic, Metroid, Super Smash Bros, Batallion Wars ii, Fire Emblem, and Super Paper Mario for next year, and third parties have barely begun to announce their lineups, so I think it's going to pay off nicely.