Author Topic: Rayman Raving Rabbids=The Wii's Feel the Magic  (Read 2974 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Rayman Raving Rabbids=The Wii's Feel the Magic
« on: December 04, 2006, 02:42:35 AM »
Last night I was playing Feel the Magic for the first time in a year and as I was playing I realized something funny...

Rayman Raving Rabbids is the Wii's Feel the Magic!

Know the saying "History tends to repeat itself"? Well, here are some similarities:
1. Both Rayman and Feel the Magic are third party takes on Nintendo's mini game based games

2. Both games use their consoles' unique features greatly (FTM using the touch screen and microphone, Rayman using the Wiimote extensively).

3. Both games tell a story through small cutscenes in between mini games (FTM being about a boy trying to get a girl, Rayman about Rayman freeing himself from the rabbids).

4. The main characters in both games have to complete mini games in order to get what they desire (in FTM the girl, in Rayman Rayman's freedom).

5. Both deal with rabbits! (FTM featuring the Rub rabbits, Rayman featuring the Raving Rabbids).

6. Both are very solid alternatives to Nintendo's games (mainly Wario)

7. Rayman and Feel the Magic are experimental games (one experimenting with the DS Touch screen, the other with the Wiimote).

8. Both require you to complete mini games in order to unlock more mini games and get a small chunk of the story (I may be wrong with this, but I have heard in Rayman you need to complete mini games and get the high score in order to unlock the rest).

Its a small world, isn't it?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: Rayman Raving Rabbids=The Wii's Feel the Magic
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 03:08:03 AM »
They're different types of humor, regional, in fact.

Sega's Japanese humor clearly shows through while RRR is more aligned toward dry European humor. Also, RRR's minigames are far more in depth than RR's, but yeah, both of them function as tech demo minigames for everything that the Wiimote/DS can do.

Though I will say that RRR's ending is a huge let-down...  
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE:Rayman Raving Rabbids=The Wii's Feel the Magic
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 05:42:18 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
They're different types of humor, regional, in fact.

Sega's Japanese humor clearly shows through while RRR is more aligned toward dry European humor. Also, RRR's minigames are far more in depth than RR's, but yeah, both of them function as tech demo minigames for everything that the Wiimote/DS can do.

Though I will say that RRR's ending is a huge let-down...

There's no denying that both of them have surreal humor, though.

I mean, in Feel the Magic you had games which involved pumping a guy's stomach while in Rayman you had games that involved closing the doors of the bunnies' outhouses and killing the worms in their rotten teeth.  
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 05:45:54 AM »
The Rub Rabbids!  o_0

EDIT:
Grown men dressed as rabbits: disturbing but funny
Rabbits with some kind of insane freakouts: disturbing but funny
Grown men dressed as rabbits with some kind of insane freakouts: way too disturbing to be funny at all

But I see your point.  Uncanny.

Also, when I was playing Red Steel, when I got to the stage with the rabbits, I was wondering if it's going to be an UbiSoft thing to have rabbits in their games.  Kind of like how Miyamoto once said (after Super Mario 64 came out) that he would put a penguin in each of his games.  But after a penguin mech boss in Star Fox 64 was cut out, I never heard of that again.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 03:02:18 PM »
Sorry to bump this, but Jon, I too was thinking the same thing. Remember when Disney released Lilo and Stitch and had those trailers in which Stitch would ruin a scene of a Disney classic? Well, I expect Ubi to do the same thing with the bunnies.

We already saw a bunny being featured on the Far cry trailer, so the bunnies will indeed be a running joke in Ubi's games.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Leck

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 04:05:30 PM »
There's short little clip I kept seeing while playing Rayman Raving Rabbits, that was a sillouette of the rabbits dancing, and the background was a purple and pink star thing spinning around, reminded me very much of the art in Feel the Magic (or Project Rub as its known down here)
I definately saw the similarities.
[ something witty here ]

Offline Leck

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 09:51:35 AM »
[ something witty here ]

Offline Garnee

• Zig.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 12:51:08 PM »
I agree; both are great games that nobody really plays.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Yeah, I do play mafia games.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 04:49:07 PM »

Originally posted by: Garnee
I agree; both are great games that nobody really plays.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I wouldn't say that...

Raving Rabbids is one of the top three launch titles for the Wii (alongside Zelda and Red Steel) and even weeks after launch the game is still doing well.

I can't say about Feel the magic, though. It must have been successful enough since a sequel was released back in Spring.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 04:50:47 PM »
Feel the Magic had the launch all to itself.

Beyond that, what was there?  Mario 64 DS
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 04:53:09 PM »

Originally posted by: Crimm
Feel the Magic had the launch all to itself.

Beyond that, what was there?  Mario 64 DS

In the US, yeah. In Japan, however, it was competing against Wario ware touched, the game FTM is heavily channeling.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer