Author Topic: Official Virtual Console Mondays Thread  (Read 723541 times)

Offline Rhoq

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Official "Virtual Console Mondays" Thread
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2006, 08:59:25 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"What has slightly disappointed me about the virtual console is Nintendo choosing inferior versions of its games for the virtual console.

Why the inferior Wario Woods, when an awesome version of it is available for Super Nintendo. I bought the NES one and was happy, until I found out a better version is available.

Or the comment of Donkey Kong not being the arcade game. That is a travesty."

I imagine the Wario's Woods thing is simply greed.  Ideally they want people to buy both versions and the easier way to do that is to make the inferior version available first.  Either that or whoever is in charge of selecting stuff doesn't know much about game history.  They probably saw Wario's Woods in Animal Crossing and decided to release it completely unaware of the existence of a SNES version.  It may also be that Nintendo is having the Animal Crossing games come out first because they already tested their emulation in AC.

I think Donkey Kong is just laziness.  An NES emulator will work with several games while a DK arcade emulator might not.  It's easier for them to just throw the inexcusable NES version out there instead of making a custom release of the arcade one.  DK for the NES has just been a ripple effect of lazy crap since day one.  By the time DK was released for the NES in America they KNEW they could fit all four levels but didn't make the fix then because it's easier to release a crappy version that's already done.

But to do this right all three Donkey Kong games and Mario Bros should all be using their original arcade versions.  I wouldn't be surprised if someday Nintendo made them available to try to get everyone to buy those games twice.  It would be nice if in cases like these they gave you some sort of discount to "upgrade" your game if you already downloaded the inferior version.

Why would/should Nintendo make the original arcade versions available for download when the entire idea behind the Wii Virtual Console is to emulate the best software from the NES, SNES, N64, Genesis and Turbo Grafix-16 consoles only? It's not laziness. It's not a conspiracy. The VC was never touted as anything more than what it's currently delivering and it's very unfair to expect anything more from Nintendo. Ian - enjoy the VC for what it is. Don't hate it for what it's not.  
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Official "Virtual Console Mondays" Thread
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2006, 09:11:34 AM »
Question how many games did Nintendo say would come out every Monday?  This Monday seemed to only bring Star Soldier, Ecco, and Golden Axe.  Where is the Nintendo love?  And when do i get my Gunstar Heroes action?

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2006, 10:01:17 AM »
where is blades of steel dammit
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2006, 10:06:25 AM »
WHERE IS GUNSTAR HEROES

OMFG
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2006, 10:15:43 AM »
Amen. Nintendo's releasing Virtual Console games about as often as they released N64 games = LAME.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2006, 10:17:09 AM »
"Why would/should Nintendo make the original arcade versions available for download when the entire idea behind the Wii Virtual Console is to emulate the best software from the NES, SNES, N64, Genesis and Turbo Grafix-16 consoles only?"

I think that's an entirely too literal definition of the VC.  The idea is to provide a method to sell old games in an easy and affordable manner.  What formats those games are in shouldn't be set in stone.  I wouldn't mind seeing Gameboy games appear in the future for example and I think that is a perfectly reasonable request.

Three level Donkey Kong should have never been released in North America in the first place.  It's either inexcusable laziness now or back in 1986 or both.  Either way a lazy mistake has been made and at some point Nintendo should correct it.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2006, 10:24:02 AM »

"Why would/should Nintendo make the original arcade versions available for download when the entire idea behind the Wii Virtual Console is to emulate the best software from the NES, SNES, N64, Genesis and Turbo Grafix-16 consoles only?"

I think that's an entirely too literal definition of the VC.  The idea is to provide a method to sell old games in an easy and affordable manner.  What formats those games are in shouldn't be set in stone.  I wouldn't mind seeing Gameboy games appear in the future for example and I think that is a perfectly reasonable request.

Three level Donkey Kong should have never been released in North America in the first place.  It's either inexcusable laziness now or back in 1986 or both.  Either way a lazy mistake has been made and at some point Nintendo should correct it.

It's a very literal definition of the VC because it's a TECHNICAL definition of the VC. The Virtual Console EMULATES the NES. So it's natural that the NES games are the ones released. If the Virtual Console emulated arcade machines, THEN we could expect arcade version releases for it.

But technically, it doesn't. So technically, it's limited to NES versions.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2006, 10:30:57 AM »
"It's a very literal definition of the VC because it's a TECHNICAL definition of the VC. The Virtual Console EMULATES the NES. So it's natural that the NES games are the ones released. If the Virtual Console emulated arcade machines, THEN we could expect arcade version releases for it.

But technically, it doesn't. So technically, it's limited to NES versions."

But it doesn't have to be.  Hell Nintendo designed this whole thing from scratch.  They could pick whatever emulators they wanted to work with it.  I doubt that even now there is a limit that firmware couldn't fix.  If there is such a limit then Nintendo are being very short sighted since in the future Gameboy or Sega Master System games could be available.  Or Neo-Geo!! Now THAT would kick ass!

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2006, 11:14:22 AM »
Emulate the NES and you can potentially play a thousand games.  Emulate the Donkey Kong arcade hardware and you can play Donkey Kong.  One of these things is not like the other.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2006, 11:29:24 AM »

Originally posted by: PartyBear
Emulate the NES and you can potentially play a thousand games.  Emulate the Donkey Kong arcade hardware and you can play Donkey Kong.  One of these things is not like the other.

QFT.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2006, 11:45:58 AM »
Donkey Kong was emulated on the N64 in Donkey Kong 64.  The Wii can emulate N64 games.  In theory they could just release the arcade version of Donkey Kong as an N64 game.  Or use the emulator they already built for DK64 in the VC (unless Rare owns it, which is possible).

It's obvious that somewhere some EFFORT is going to be required for the real version of Donkey Kong to get released.  That's kind of the point.  Nintendo didn't make the effort back in 1986 and have not made up for this lack of effort in the last 20 years and with numerous re-releases of Donkey Kong in between.  They even re-released Donkey Kong on the NES (Donkey Kong Classics) without fixing it.

I figure as customers most of you would want a complete version of Donkey Kong available.  Unless you own Nintendo stock there really is no reason to defend Nintendo in this case.  They may and likely will never do it but I think it should be done.

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2006, 12:00:35 PM »
I have DK on Atari 2600, thats good enough for me. Geez whats the friggin deal so it only has 2 levels instead of four.

Stop bitching already.

To whoever it was that asked about Ecco and Golden Axe, I have those both on Genesis still and Golden Axe looks terrible by even Genesis standards. It looks like a Master System game. It didn't age well. Altered Beast looked better. AS for the game play its simple botton mashing at its best.

Ecco is hard to describe if you never played it. You swim around the ocean and shoot um sonic waves or something and thast it. The controlls are simple. This game also looked  alot more impressive back in the day than it does now.

Now getting back to the VC
Nintendo GAVE UP on arcades YEARS AGO. Its possible that they do not WANT to release the arcae versions because maybe they didn't save those roms. I know that soudns ludiscris but what if they just didn't think about the future back then.

Also who cares anyways, I mean the NES versions of most Arcade games were decent enough why nitpick over little things.

Oh and the Virtual console was ORIGINALLY advertised as a way to play NES, SNES and N64 games, when it was first announced. The TG-16 and genesis stuff was added over year after the initial announcement so it was NOT originally intended to showcase old games, it was a way to showcase NINTENDO games.

Sega and Hudson only jumped on board cuz they got greedy and figured this was a way to make some easy money for them.

Heres a question for ya, why even release Genesis games when they ALL have superior Sega Cd and or Arcade counterparts?

You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2006, 12:07:36 PM »

Donkey Kong was emulated on the N64 in Donkey Kong 64.  The Wii can emulate N64 games.  In theory they could just release the arcade version of Donkey Kong as an N64 game.

Why bother when they could just release Donkey Kong 64? You'll get both unless you don't want to try to unlock the arcade game.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline D_MaN87

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2006, 01:34:20 PM »
woo two new games.  None i am interested in though.  Where is my mortal kombat?!?!
Wii Number: 1080 3358 2033 2880
FF3 Number: 2620 7985 5351
Diddy Kong Racing DS: 0688 1563 4718

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2006, 02:15:27 PM »
I have at least one game for each available sytem except for the SNES, they better put something good for the SNES other than F-Zero(not much of a fan of the 2D iterations), or SimCity.  

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2006, 04:10:21 AM »
"Why bother when they could just release Donkey Kong 64? You'll get both unless you don't want to try to unlock the arcade game."

Since it's a Rare game are there any issues with that?  Probably not.  But you're right.  Anyone who really cares knows how to get the real version.  It just bothers me that three level Donkey Kong has become so widespread that it's practically become the standard version.

"Golden Axe looks terrible by even Genesis standards. It looks like a Master System game. It didn't age well."

Man I remember the days when seeing Golden Axe in TV ads blew me away.  Remember at the time that game just crushed any NES game in visuals.  I can hear the tribal opening music playing now.  And regardless how it plays now one thing I love about Golden Axe is that's its so cool.  It's about a barbarian with a huge sword slashing away at enemies.  It just has bad-ass style that games never have anymore.  Games today always try to be dark and moody.  In short what's considered cool these days is lame wimpy sh!t while back in the 80's cool stuff was over-the-top ninjas and barbarians and stuff.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2006, 04:30:59 AM »
If you really want to complain about getting the inferior console version of an arcade game, Golden Axe would be a good choice.

Offline D_MaN87

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2006, 12:51:53 AM »

Offline D_MaN87

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2006, 12:52:41 AM »
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=12491

We REALLY need more SNES and n64 games

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2006, 02:36:17 AM »
Ian Sane:  Since Donkey Kong is a IP of Nintendo and not Rare Donkey Kong won't be a problem.  The only games that will be  a problem are the original Rare games that Nintendo was very generous in giving the rights to the IPs to even though they published them...I know some games they didn't publish.

Games like: Conkers, Perfect Dark, and Banjo will probably never see the virtual console.  I dunno we may see Blast Corp, but I am unsure about that.

Goldeneye is an IP that is still owned by Nintendo, the problem here is licensing agreements to use the 007 images and such.  Nintendo would have to repay for those rights again.  

This is the reason licensed oldskool games may never be released on the virtual console. (Ninja Turtles, Simpsons, ect.)

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2006, 02:58:06 AM »

Originally posted by: PartyBear

If you really want to complain about getting the inferior console version of an arcade game, Golden Axe would be a good choice.
But that wouldn't let Ian blast Nintendo for whatever reason.

The VC, so far, only sells NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, and TG16 games. So it makes sense that the NES version of games gets released and not the arcade version.

"Once 6 A.M roles around on Friday it's like a human tsunami and everything will be taken within minutes." -- Luigi Dude

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2006, 10:26:21 AM »
So did any new virtual console games come out today?

I might have to download Donkey Kong Junior.  That game is actually quite difficult for me...and defeats me every time I try to play it.

Stupid Monkey.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2006, 10:34:07 AM »
It separates then men from the monkeys.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2006, 10:57:26 AM »
I understand Ian's complaint, but the point for Nintendo is that by emulating old consoles, the whole thing becomes a huge money-making machine.  Nintendo can toss the games on there at virtually no cost (maybe some time for testing).

The alternate perspective is Xbox 360, where the most modest Live Arcade project still costs hundreds of thousands of dollars because Microsoft expects everyone to implement Achievements, online gameplay and more. Nintendo's method is far more profitable and probably far more attractive to third parties.

P.S. I vote for Ninja Gaiden Trilogy!  
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2006, 11:33:44 AM »
Not that any of you people care, but IGN feels the same way about Donkey Kong as Ian does.
GOREGASM!