Author Topic: Official Virtual Console Mondays Thread  (Read 728880 times)

Offline segagamer12

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Official "Virtual Console Mondays" Thread
« Reply #100 on: December 11, 2006, 07:04:27 AM »
Dr robotnics Mean Bean Machine is a puzzle game that is really wierd. It has similaritues to columns but wth jelly beans instead of jewels. Its on SOnci Mega Collection and is fun for a while but not woth a DL on VC.  
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #101 on: December 11, 2006, 11:04:33 AM »
Dear: Anyone on the Fence about Gunstar Heroes

BUY THIS GAME. DON'T BUY ANY OTHER GAME UNTIL YOU HAVE BOUGHT THIS.

Best,
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Official "Virtual Console Mondays" Thread
« Reply #102 on: December 11, 2006, 11:29:31 AM »
YES...BUY IT...

BUY IT...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 11, 2006, 12:49:34 PM »
You convinced me; I bought 1,000 points and downloaded Gunstar Heroes.

Apparently, Nintendo charges tax for Wii points purchased online.  This is news to me.  As far as I know, Nintendo doesn't have any presence in Illinois.  I can't remember--did we have to enter our state when we setup the system?  Perhaps, if I change states I can save 6.2%.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 11, 2006, 01:24:38 PM »
If you linked to your My Nintendo account then they have it from there.  
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 11, 2006, 01:27:17 PM »
I bought 2000 points and what is on my credit card is "Nintendo Wii Points" and for 20.00.  I bought mine online through the VC and apparently I wasn't charged sales tax.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Svevan

• View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #106 on: December 11, 2006, 01:34:20 PM »
Full report: Gunstar Heroes works fine with the Classic Controller (I wish I had a Genesis pad!). The Wii Remote takes the number two slot because switching weapons is a function that you use sparingly, and the A Button is a perfect place for it. Only the shape of the pad is in question. The GameCube controller comes in last because of the mapping: B button is switch weapons, and as said before this is done sparingly. A is fire, and X (what?) is jump. Whatever. That may have been how it was in the Genesis days, but I just don't like it here. Everyone's got a Wii remote, so hopefully Wii control will suffice. Try GC pads and tell me if you think it's any good, but I couldn't stand it.

The game is just as I remember. Sitting down for 45 minutes I was able to blaze through two levels and get halfway through a third (out of five? I think). It's ten times more fun with a friend, of course, but it's still great by yourself. Just mindless, awesome blasting action.
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 11, 2006, 01:41:55 PM »
Those 'Cube controls don't sound too bad to me.  And the B, A, and X buttons are the obvious closest analogs to the three Genesis face buttons.  
GOREGASM!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 11, 2006, 02:40:54 PM »
"...and get halfway through a third (out of five? I think)"

Seven...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #109 on: December 11, 2006, 04:05:23 PM »
This game is intense.  If you play the game on skill level easy then you may think the game is a piece of cake...but Normal and Expert really push the limits and actually does so by adding new experiences to the levels.  

It really is a classic game that deserves the praise and respect it got.  Truly fun, and truly revolutionary game play for its time.  I love it.  

I am glad to here there is 7 levels instead of five.  

And the level design and imagination in this game is truly top-notch.  

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #110 on: December 11, 2006, 04:18:34 PM »
Many States are now requiring any US based company to with hold tax. So either Illinois requires it or Washington does, I really didn't look at how much the tax was to figure that out. After I found they charged tax I knew it was cheeper to get the points cards from Wal-Mart or Gamestop. (Wal-Mart charges 19.83 for the card, Gamestop 19.99 so you are saving a little money.)

I know that Wisconsin was considering it. So most companies that also have an online presence started charging tax, usually the tax in the state they are located in unless the state the consumer is from requires it.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Amodaus1

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 11, 2006, 04:34:16 PM »
Gunstar Heroes is NUTS! Its all about that one stage that turns into a board game, and you roll dice, and almost every space is a BOSS FIGHT! And there is only 1 or 2 spaces for health recovery!

This was a good addition to VC. Now what they need is to get some emulated saturn so i can play Guardian Heroes, because that game is nuts too.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 11, 2006, 06:32:47 PM »
Ah jeez, there's a board game section in it?  I hated the board game in Gunstar Super Heroes.  I might've even given up on it, I can't remember.  I kept rolling the wrong number and going in circles until I died. DX
GOREGASM!

Offline Svevan

• View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2006, 07:51:55 PM »
The status of the last stage as a countable "stage" is debatable, but once I'm actually there I'll comment. But six sounds righter than seven at this point, per my memory.
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #114 on: December 11, 2006, 10:45:44 PM »
I said it once and I'll say it again...Nintendo is handling the VC poorly. It seems that only Sega and Hudson are willing to release their big games on a weekly basis, while Nintendo is severely holding back. I mean Ice hockey? Come on Nintendo!

I am wondering how the VC is doing in the US. Anybody knows where to get VC numbers?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #115 on: December 12, 2006, 01:30:35 AM »
Give Nintendo time.  Nintendo doesn't look at it like the virtual console is seperate systems, but it looks at it like one.  So if there is a big Genesis game, Nintendo may think it is better to hold off on other games so that people don't miss something because they didn't have the money to buy.  

And Nintendo did supply us with a F-Zero, Zelda, and Super Mario 64 day one.  Those are pretty good heavy hitters.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 12, 2006, 01:47:06 AM »

Originally posted by: Svevan
The status of the last stage as a countable "stage" is debatable, but once I'm actually there I'll comment. But six sounds righter than seven at this point, per my memory.

Debatable, what?  Wrong, there are seven, period... >=|

Offline MilkManX

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 12, 2006, 01:51:37 AM »
I nabbed Gunstar Heros and Alien Crush yesterday. I had the real carts of both of these games back in the day.

Classics! Alien Crush is one of the best pinball games ever made. Gunstar is just a "Treasure" and still to this day I think their finest game.

Wii Friend Code 3896 5966 4421 6752

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 12, 2006, 02:35:30 AM »

Originally posted by: Svevan
The GameCube controller comes in last because of the mapping: B button is switch weapons, and as said before this is done sparingly. A is fire, and X (what?) is jump. Whatever. That may have been how it was in the Genesis days, but I just don't like it here. Everyone's got a Wii remote, so hopefully Wii control will suffice. Try GC pads and tell me if you think it's any good, but I couldn't stand it.

You can't change which GameCube controller button maps to which Genesis button, but you can change what each button does in the game's option menu.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 12, 2006, 04:00:01 AM »
Nintendo has many non-heavy hitters they could release.  But one game only one game and its Ice Hockey... They could have at least added Balloon Fighters.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 12, 2006, 04:47:39 AM »
Dude just play Zelda and be happy. Then be thankful that Sega is getting the GOOD games out early on so we knwo that the AWESOME games will come latter.  
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline chaingunsofdoom

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 12, 2006, 07:15:31 AM »
Saw Ice Hockey on the list last night and I had to get it. I got dinged GST on my points purchase, but I still saved a couple of bucks. There's nothing like getting beat badly by the CPU. The only bad thing is that Blades of Steel will probably be eons away from release now.

Offline MorningStar

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 12, 2006, 09:46:26 AM »
I'm still waiting on Toejam and Earl, Vectorman, Jurassic Park, and MAAANY others. I was a Genesis kid back in the 16-bit days and never got around to playing any of the good SNES games. From Metroid to Link to the Past and most things in between, I haven't played very many SNES games other than Super Mario World.

Any good SNES games to look forward to other than Metroid or Zelda?

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 12, 2006, 10:08:03 AM »

Originally posted by: MorningStar
I'm still waiting on Toejam and Earl, Vectorman, Jurassic Park, and MAAANY others. I was a Genesis kid back in the 16-bit days and never got around to playing any of the good SNES games. From Metroid to Link to the Past and most things in between, I haven't played very many SNES games other than Super Mario World.

Any good SNES games to look forward to other than Metroid or Zelda?

Now THERE'S a can of worms.

Personally I love Donkey Kong Country and DKC 2.  A lot of people aren't as sweet on them anymore, but I think the first one in particular is one of the best 2D platformers ever created.  As was Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.  Plok is really good too though it will probably never make it to the VC.  Shame, because that game would really benefit from the suspend feature.

If you're into RPGs at all, SNES had them in droves.  Earthbound, Final Fantasy, Super Mario RPG, Breath of Fire, Lufia, Secret of Mana, Illusion of Gaia, Shadowrun, 7th Saga...some of them probably haven't held up that well but I enjoyed all of them back in the day.

Edit: ActRaiser I & II, Super Castlevania IV, Mega Man X (could get it cheaper by buying the collection, though), Secret of Evermore, Rock n' Roll Racing and Lost Vikings...those last two might have been available on Genesis.  
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 12, 2006, 10:16:43 AM »
"Any good SNES games to look forward to other than Metroid or Zelda?"

Too many to list.  The general rule is if it's made by Nintendo, Square, or Capcom BUY IT.

Though I'll recommend Saturday Night Slam Masters and Sunset Riders since they probably won't get as much praise as other more popular titles.  Though they both had Genesis versions the SNES versions were closer to the arcade versions.