Author Topic: gamecube troubles  (Read 3400 times)

Offline jef5175

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
gamecube troubles
« on: November 26, 2006, 02:22:34 PM »
I have two questions and I am just a dumb mom with a broken hearted son.....He has a game cube system and the system is not spinning the disc anymore.  Is there anything I can do to fix it and the other question is i just bought him a cable link and tried to hook up his gameboy advance to it and i can't get it to work.  Is it because it is not spinning the disc so it can't read from the gameboy or am I just not doing something right?  

Thanks for any help

Offline Pikachelsea

• View Profile
RE: gamecube troubles
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 04:50:37 PM »
If the GameCube isn't working then the GBA connectivity won't work either. You might call Nintendo to see if they can repair your GameCube, but honestly, GameCubes are so dirt cheap these days that it might be easier, faster, and possibly cheaper to just go buy a new one.

In any case, check out Nintendo's Customer Service website for GameCube, look over the available options and hopefully you can determine how to proceed from there. Hope this helps.

Offline jef5175

• View Profile
RE:gamecube troubles
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 01:07:52 AM »
thanks for your help!  I will do some checking to see.  your probably right in saying just by a new one.  He has only had it two years though.  I would hate to think that is all the longer these things last.

Thanks again

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 11:14:02 AM »
if the disk isn't spinning at all then the culprit is likely a burnt out drive motor. While those can be replaced, the Gamecube case is really compact and I wouldn't recommend trying to do that you've got a lot of electronics experience. That is unusually early for one to wear out, but it's not unheard of.

Target has new Cubes this week for $88, so that's something to keep in mind.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 12:24:42 PM »
Had this same problem myself, and not even a year into the launch one I had. I took the underhanded approach  and just bought a new one from a store, replaced the system inside with my old one, and then returned it and spent the store credit on games.

My second Gamecube, which I got in 2002, is still alive and well four years later though.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Pikachelsea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 05:41:38 PM »
Um, why would you tell a mom about your amazing tactics for gypping the store (and a future customer) out of their GameCube? That's really dishonest and not something I would be proud of.

It's a GameCube for crying outloud, not a Ferrari. What are you even doing on a Nintendo forum if you can't fork over a few measley bucks for a GameCube :P Heck, when my first GameCube stopped working and the problems resurfaced even after Nintendo "repaired" it, Nintendo sent me a new one for free. There's more than one recourse in the world than conning people for your own ends.

But hey, it's all fun and games until it happens to you.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 05:49:44 PM »
>He has a game cube system and the system is not spinning the disc anymore.

Call Nintendo (800.255.3700).  Anyone will tell you that Nintendo has the absolute best customer service ever - if it's under warranty, they'll fix it.  If it's not, they might fix it anyway!

>i just bought him a cable link and tried to hook up his gameboy advance to it and i can't get it to work.

Just want to make sure of this, so don't get offended if you already knew this, but the GameBoy Advance Link Cable doesn't let you play GameBoy Advance games on the GameCube\TV - at all.  The cable simply lets you transfer data from some GameCube games to the GameBoy Advance and the other way around.  Obviously, this won't work if your GameCube isn't reading GameCube Games (since there's nothing for the GameBoy Advance to talk to).  If you want something that lets you play GameBoy Advance games on the TV using your GameCube, you want the "Nintendo GameBoy Player"... however, if your GameCube isn't working right, this device won't work right either.  Call Nintendo and see about getting your 'Cube fixed first.

Originally posted by: Arbok
Had this same problem myself, and not even a year into the launch one I had. I took the underhanded approach  and just bought a new one from a store, replaced the system inside with my old one, and then returned it and spent the store credit on games.

Now-a-days, most stores scan the barcode s/n of the unit and print it on the receipt.  Receipt is a funny word.

Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 09:57:13 PM »

Originally posted by: Pikachelsea
What are you even doing on a Nintendo forum if you can't fork over a few measley bucks for a GameCube

I wouldn't call $200 "measley", nor will I deny that it was without a doubt dishonest.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 08:24:48 AM »

It's a GameCube for crying outloud, not a Ferrari. What are you even doing on a Nintendo forum if you can't fork over a few measley bucks for a GameCube
don't generalise, not everyone can afford one, and not everywhere it's just "a few measly bucks" (for example, if I have to get a new GC today I have to pay about $250)
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 12:07:05 PM »

Originally posted by: Athrun Zala

It's a GameCube for crying outloud, not a Ferrari. What are you even doing on a Nintendo forum if you can't fork over a few measley bucks for a GameCube
don't generalise, not everyone can afford one, and not everywhere it's just "a few measly bucks" (for example, if I have to get a new GC today I have to pay about $250)

I'm not sure that really justifies ripping someone off though...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 02:47:46 AM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob

Originally posted by: Athrun Zala

I'm not sure that really justifies ripping someone off though...
oh, I'm not justifying that, look how I carefully selected the quote ( ).
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline jef5175

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 11:25:43 PM »
thank you for not wanting me to feel stupid .......but I do....lol  I thought what I was buying would allow him to plug his gameboy into the gamecube and then his gameboy game would appear on the tv screen.....I guess you can tell that all I do is shell out the money for the stuff......lol

Thanks again

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 06:06:18 AM »
Unclebob, you are way more helpful than any walmart employee i've ever dealt with.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.