Author Topic: The biggest disaster in Nintendo history?  (Read 15293 times)

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:The biggest disaster in Nintendo history?
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2006, 04:06:51 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
Oh darn, I thought this thread would be about Hiroshi Yamauchi's love motel chain back in the 50's...

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

I dunno Nintendo Love Motel sounds pretty nice when you start thinking about Peach, Daisy, and Samus.

I still think the vacuums were the worst idea.....Hey Check it out man I got the New Nintendo Vacuum its sucks big time!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2006, 04:16:57 PM »
The N64 era was probably their biggest disaster. Funny thing about that is Nintendo was still profitable.

Not that it needs to be said, but this time 5 years ago, you could walk into any number of stores and buy a Gamecube. Ask for a Wii at any retailer and you'll get looks of anger.

Offline willie1234

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2006, 04:37:55 PM »
"not that it needs to be said, but this time 5 years ago, you could walk into any number of stores and buy a Gamecube"

totally - I walked into a toys r us on launch day around 12 noon.  I didn't expect to get one, but there was a pile of them behind the counter.  I walked out with a cube and rogue leader.   i'm still waiting on getting a wii, but I'm really happy to see how well it's doing so far.

Offline Silverballer

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: The biggest disaster in Nintendo history?
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2006, 05:00:29 PM »
troll, troll, troll your boat....

Offline surfinguga

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2006, 05:21:19 PM »
the virtual boy.  enough said
wii code: 8861 9873 9716 4670

thanks
Jarrett

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2006, 03:18:12 AM »

Originally posted by: The Traveller
Hey maybe some1 can clear this up, I heard somewhere that you cant load a save file on a friends Wii through your SD card.

I loaded my THDJ save file from my friend's SD card, actually, so it works.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2006, 03:22:18 AM »

Originally posted by: BigJim
The 1 million number was an estimate from Nintendo of Canada's GM back in September.

Quoted for the awful truth.  Ignoring everything else unless cbeer comes back.  
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline cbeer

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2006, 04:06:48 AM »

So I see Nintendo was actually forced to retract a press release due to the Wii production shortfall.

To back up, remember that Reggie Fils-Aime said there would be TWO MILLION Wiis available in the US by the end of 2006:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6162151.html

So a few days ago Nintendo releases a press release promising "well over ONE MILLION" in the US by the end of the year.  They then had to issue a correction asking to remove the reference completely:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=25212387&sid=6162916

Those of you who went out this weekend know that there were NO Wii shipments to any of the major chains.  Systems show up at GameStop locations two and three at a time in sporadic shipments, but nothing approaching the 200,000 to 250,000 systems a week Nintendo promised.  And shipments dried up completely this weekend, as Nintendo sent inventory to Japan and Europe.

Japan has been promised one million systems by years' end, just like the USA.  Europe doesn't get enough inventory to make a major dent.  And yet, Reggie stands by the "four million worldwide by the end of 2006" statement.  So where are the other two million systems going?  The bottom of the ocean?  

The actual sales of the Wii in the US are going to be just slightly BELOW that of the GameCube.  All because of this mysterious supply shortage that nobody anywhere is reporting on as being an issue.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2006, 07:08:45 AM »
Not so mysterious. Clearly Nintendo's done what Sony's done and overestimated their stuff.

Still, this has gotta be the most impressive wordlwide launch ever in the history of gaming.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2006, 07:52:25 AM »

Originally posted by: cbeer
The actual sales of the Wii in the US are going to be just slightly BELOW that of the GameCube.  All because of this mysterious supply shortage that nobody anywhere is reporting on as being an issue.

The big question, and the relevant one, is how does it compare to the launch of the 360 and PS3?
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2006, 08:10:23 AM »
I have no idea how many the gamecube shipped but I do know that I can't trust any facts that you have not directly linked to cbeer.

You post huge inaccuracies in you first post and don't correct them then you bring your thread back from the dead to post a link that says Nintendo changed the wording in a press statement.  4 million may not be reached (or it still could be) but the important thing is, just as Arbok said, how are they doing against the competition NOW.

Offline RiskyChris

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2006, 08:36:47 AM »
If you can say the Wii launch spells doom for Nintendo because it pales in comparison to the Gamecube launch, then you would agree with the logic that since the Gamecube did better than the Wii, it spelt raging success for Ninty back then, yes?

I still can't find a Wii to buy my little cousin, and there are lines forming STILL for what, the umpteenth shipments now?  Best launch ever.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2006, 08:48:09 AM »
Wouldn't you know, the PS3 launch is just about the worst launch evar, and the XBox 360 is, after a year, only sold a couple more than the first XBox by this time. I guess using this information we can say that all the next/new gen consoles have failed.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Madcat221

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2006, 11:20:07 AM »
Well, seeing that the opening number of PS3s that the Target I work at was eight, and the number of Wiis it got at launch was fifty one (17 shipper boxes X 3 per box), I don't think it's a "disaster".  The supply is insufficient for the demand, but Ninty is doing a far better job than Sony.

Although we didn't have any on Black Friday, we got another 60-unit shipment that went on the shelf about a week later, two weeks after the opening day.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2006, 11:27:15 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo underestimated the Wii launch. I'm sure they were confident that the Wii would be a big hit, but not THIS big to the point where they couldn't keep up with the demand.

I am annoyed that they couldn't keep their promise of constant shipment of units, but at the same time this kind of stuff happens when the demand is way too high. It happens to every single item that is labeled as the IT thing of the holidays.

So this really isn't that big of a deal. Does it suck? Yeah. But something to be bitter about? Not really...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2006, 12:26:27 PM »
Yeah Gamestop at least in my area is resorting to taking pre-orders and they call when they get a shipment. I directed a few people that way because I doubt you will find them in Wal-Mart just strolling in the middle of day you have to be there when they are stocking their shipment otherwise. Also some of Microsofts "misdirection" is using. If you seen the commercial were the wired controller becomes wireless there was a clueless partent asking if Best Buy had the controllers like Nintendo's and Sony's. I nearly laughed at him. My brother would if I told him while we where back there.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2006, 01:28:44 PM »
Selling out is a disaster for Nintendo FANS. For Nintendo themselves, they couldn't be happier. All this hype is fanstastical.

Still...I would like a Wii, and it's proving near-impossible for me.
OH snap!

Offline cbeer

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2006, 11:03:47 PM »
Finally, somebody else sees it.  

The Two Worst Console Launches Ever?

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=7711063&publicUserId=5519593

He says:

"What is Nintendo's excuse? A console that uses outdated old technology and sold through every unit during the month of November only ended up selling 476k units? Because it's just a GameCube+Waggle, I thought this console was going to be available. Even now, consumers are still suffering from Nintendo's inability to keep up supply.

While Sony certainly can't be accused of shortchanging supply to increase perceived demand, Nintendo certainly can be. If it's not hard to make -- why aren't there more? I'm unwilling to sit out in the cold for a Zelda-playing machine, and the simple truth is: I shouldn't have to and neither should you."

Exactly.  So when this year ends and shows Nintendo shipped 2.2 million of their promised 4 million consoles, will it be a news story?  Because they made it a news story every single time Reggie said they were on target for the four million.  So is someone going to call them on it?

Offline UERD

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2006, 11:45:14 PM »
Yay! Wii has obsolete graphics! Because I want to spend $400 or $600 on an XBox 360 or a PS3...when I could wait a year or so and spend half as much on a really good graphics card with superior visual quality for my computer! And don't even bother giving me the 'online play' argument- companies like Blizzard have been doing it correctly before the word 'XBox' was on anyone's lips.

I've never thought consoles could validly compete with computers in terms of graphics. If I want a pretty game, I'll play one on the computer. If I want a fun game with innovative controls, or a game that several people can play together at the same time in the same room, I'll play one on a console.

And if people really think Nintendo eats babies and rapes the environment because they 'only' put out X number of consoles while facing Y demand, they can always shut up and go buy a 360. I've seen stacks of them at every freaking store I've visited so far. It's not like people are being forced at gunpoint to wait in line for a scarce product. "I shouldn't have to and neither should you." Blah blah blah. I shouldn't have to pay for a Wii. Nintendo should just ship it to my house for free. And they should give me a free game every month. And they should name their next console after me. And Mr. Iwata should step down and make me the next president of Nintendo. (et al)
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2006, 02:47:25 AM »

Finally, somebody else sees it.  

The Two Worst Console Launches Ever?

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=7711063&publicUserId=5519593

I think the fact that the Wii was the number 1 console launch in Europe's history is proof that Nintendo's launch was a huge success.  The fact that Wiis are scarce makes them even more desirable to consumers.  
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2006, 03:10:16 AM »
Yep I stop caring/believing anyone when they write that the Wii should have shipped with component cables.  Thats like saying that a Happy Meal should come with sterling silver to eat it with and a Game Console as a toy.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline xanrastafari

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2006, 05:09:59 AM »
CBeer - you are a troll.  Rot in hell.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2006, 05:56:55 AM »

Exactly.  So when this year ends and shows Nintendo shipped 2.2 million of their promised 4 million consoles, will it be a news story?  Because they made it a news story every single time Reggie said they were on target for the four million.  So is someone going to call them on it?

Probably not at all, because it's still more than the 360 or PS3 managed in their launches. I guess Nintendo's launch is therefore horrible for generating so much demand, regardless of having more products to sell in the same timeframe as competitors?

Honestly, your whole rant is based around the "but they promised 4 million!" aspect.  Had Nintendo predicted 2 million instead, would it really have made a damn bit of difference as to the success of their launch? At this point, though, its clear that you are just here to whine, and I imagine you will continue to ignore points made against yours in some vein effort to stay "justified" in your own mind as to Nintendo's efforts here.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2006, 06:12:42 AM »
Here we will break down cbeer's logic.

1. The following two statements are true.

Nothing is worse than the Virtual Boy.
Nothing is better than the Wii.

2. Now, take these statements and simplify them.

Nothing < Virtual Boy
Nothing > Wii

3. Now, we can turn around the first statement and still retain the truth.

Virtual Boy > Nothing
Nothing > Wii

4. cbeer probably thought this was a transitive function, and put it all together.

Virtual Boy > Nothing > Wii

5. Taking out the middleman, you're left with:

Virtual Boy > Wii

And therefore, since the Wii is worse than the Virtual Boy (according to this), it must be Nintendo's biggest failure.

The mistake is in step #4.  There is actually more than one nothing.  There must always be at least two nothings in any case like this.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2006, 06:50:34 AM »
Yup, people camping out for your system even AFTER it launches is such a colossal failure, especially considering they're not doing the same for your competitor's system which launched at the same time and shipped a third of the units you did.

The demand for the Wii far, far exceeded Nintendo's expectations. Would the Wii likely still be sold out even if it shipped 4 mil? Probably.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64