Author Topic: I want a Wii now...  (Read 13424 times)

Offline MedievalMan

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
I want a Wii now...
« on: November 21, 2006, 03:24:27 AM »
I'm still a bit disappointed by the launch lineup, but it's pretty good compared to other launch lineups

To me, at least, there's only 1 game worth getting so far (besides playing Wii Sports!), Zelda.  Some other games definately look worth a rent though (Excite Truck, Red Steel.)  It seems Red Steel had some great ideas, but wasn't implemented as good as it could have been.  Perhaps we'll see some awesome FPS's on Wii (certainly, Metroid Prime 3.)

Although, from reviews I've read, a lot of people feel the Zelda controls are just "tacked" on (which I suppose is true from a development standpoint.)  I would have liked to see actual sword strokes converted from Wii controller --> game accurately, instead of the more "digital" conservative control Nintendo went with.

My point is, there's not much reason to play Zelda on Wii over Zelda on Gamecube (which I already own).

However, I still can't wait to try out the Wii next week at my local EB (requires a driver's license, guess they don't want you running off with a Wii Controller!).

A few questions:

1) Can you play the Wii games (ie. bowling) multiplayer by just passing the remote around and taking turns?  I want to buy a Wii, but at $70 Cnd a pop, the controllers are a fortune.

2) Will Super Smash Brothers Brawl utilize the Wii controller for sensing of the fighting moves?  This would be damn cool, but perhaps too frantic (as Smash Brothers is very frantic gameplay).   Then again, look at some people on YouTube playing Wii Boxing...

I hope they do.. else what's the point of releasing the next Smash Brothers on Wii if they don't take advantage of the new controls (as the Wii isn't really significantly better than the GC in the graphics department.)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
RE: I want a Wii now...
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 03:25:46 AM »
In an effort to keep this forum clean and because this was another thread I don't think belongs but I don't know where to direct him, I'm making this the offical "Ask a random question about Wii" thread.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
RE: OFFICIAL Ask Random Questions About Wii Thread
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 03:29:28 AM »
I'll try and answer your questions too..

1) Yes, all turn based Wii Sports games (everything but Tennis and Boxing) can be done by passing a remote around.

2) It has been said that Brawl will not take advantage of motion controls (from E3).  This may change.  As for your what's the point comment... Maybe because the game needs a sequel and the online component of Wii could really help it.  Also, why change one of the best fighters of all time?
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline MedievalMan

• View Profile
RE:OFFICIAL Ask Random Questions About Wii Thread
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 03:33:03 AM »
I think you're right.   Super Smash Bros doesn't need to much changing.

But if there going to release a new one for Wii, shouldn't there at least be an optional control scheme (keeping GC version style controls available as well) using the Wii remote sensing?

Hopefully Nintendo's online service for Wii remains free (the one for the DS is, it's handy, I like it).

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 03:34:10 AM »

Originally posted by: MedievalMan
Although, from reviews I've read, a lot of people feel the Zelda controls are just "tacked" on (which I suppose is true from a development standpoint.)  I would have liked to see actual sword strokes converted from Wii controller --> game accurately, instead of the more "digital" conservative control Nintendo went with.

My point is, there's not much reason to play Zelda on Wii over Zelda on Gamecube (which I already own).

A few questions:

1) Can you play the Wii games (ie. bowling) multiplayer by just passing the remote around and taking turns?  I want to buy a Wii, but at $70 Cnd a pop, the controllers are a fortune.

2) Will Super Smash Brothers Brawl utilize the Wii controller for sensing of the fighting moves?  This would be damn cool, but perhaps too frantic (as Smash Brothers is very frantic gameplay).   Then again, look at some people on YouTube playing Wii Boxing...

I hope they do.. else what's the point of releasing the next Smash Brothers on Wii if they don't take advantage of the new controls (as the Wii isn't really significantly better than the GC in the graphics department.)

I can say with absolute certainty, having played the GameCube version of Twilight Princess, that the Wii version's controls do NOT feel tacked on.  The Wii version "feels" better and more responsive.  The reason to play Zelda on the Wii is that it's the superior experience, period.

As for your questions ...

1) I believe you can, though if you have multiple controllers, they rumble and make a chime when it's your turn, so if someone wanders off to the kitchen to get a beer or something, they'll know you're waiting on them.  I'll have to check to be sure.

2) If I remember correctly, they've stated that Super Smash Bros. Brawl would be playable either with Wii controllers, or with the GameCube controllers, though this was over a year ago and may have changed by now.  I agree that if they don't use the Wii controllers or give people a reason not to use them, there doesn't seem to be much of a point.  Every Nintendo game should show off the new control scheme, not regress.  It's part of taking a leadership position.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 03:59:30 AM »
Allow me to offer a tidbit not in the form of a question.

If you send an message to someone on Wii, it allows you to attach a Mii so that your Mii's face shows up on the letter. This does not send someone that Mii to roam about their Wii or attach to your address. You have to send the Mii from the Mii channel to do that.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 04:25:25 AM »
The most frustrating part about attaching a Mii to an address is you have to do so based soley on their face.  Why the heck can't we see their names too?
---------------------

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 05:12:49 AM »

Originally posted by: RickPowers

I can say with absolute certainty, having played the GameCube version of Twilight Princess, that the Wii version's controls do NOT feel tacked on.  The Wii version "feels" better and more responsive.  The reason to play Zelda on the Wii is that it's the superior experience, period.

Quoted for truth.  I haven't played the GameCube version, but compared to the other 3D Zeldas, the only complaint I might have about the controls in this one would be that you can't rotate the camera 360 degrees a la the c-stick in Wind Waker.  Even that's not a big deal since the Z-targeting/camera centering seems to have been sharpened up a lot since the N64 games.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 06:36:02 AM »
I have a question regarding Miis.  If I send someone a Mii and then I update that Mii, does the Mii get automatically updated on the other person's Wii or do I have to resend it?  If I resend it does it overwrite the old one or will be two of Mii running around his Wii?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 06:40:17 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale
The most frustrating part about attaching a Mii to an address is you have to do so based soley on their face.  Why the heck can't we see their names too?

You've been on my baseball team quite a few times, Pale.

Also, something important...

The Wii manual suggests that, the FURTHER you are sitting from the sensor bar, the higher you should set the sensitivity in the Wii's options menu.

Something to keep in mind for those sitting further than 8 feet back...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 06:57:51 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu
I have a question regarding Miis.  If I send someone a Mii and then I update that Mii, does the Mii get automatically updated on the other person's Wii or do I have to resend it?  If I resend it does it overwrite the old one or will be two of Mii running around his Wii?

I've been wondering this too.  I made a change to my Mii yesterday and I know I didn't resend it to SB...

SB, when you get a chance, look at my Mii and see if I have a open mouth smile or a closed mouth half smirk.  If it's an open mouth smile, it auto changed.
---------------------

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 07:06:51 AM »
I will when I get home, but I suspect it won't change because that would require that, upon logging on, the Wii would have to check every Mii ever created in the entirety of the Mii plaza for updates.

I'll check, but if it DID change, that "THUNK" noise will be my jaw hitting my knee.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 07:15:11 AM »
How do I guess my neighbor's router's password
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 07:27:24 AM »
Is there any way to keep the disc drive's blue light on at all times?  

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 07:41:13 AM »

Originally posted by: TrueNerd

Make lots of friends that constantly send you messages.  

I don't think there is a real way to do it.
---------------------

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 07:42:14 AM »

Originally posted by: MJRx9000
How do I guess my neighbor's router's password
Are you on friendly terms with him?  If so, go over there and say hello.  When he offers you a glass of water, accept.  When he leaves the room to go get it hop on his computer and look at the password.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 07:45:08 AM »
Hmm, here's a question...

Has anyone discovered a way to stack VC games in a single channel?  I'm starting to stress about save space.  Nintendo kind of screwed up here.  The SD cards don't expand anything... they back crap up.  This is stupid.  Why do I have to waste time swapping saves back and forth?

Also, many people will have more than 40 VC games by the end of the first year.  When the channels get filled up those have to start being swapped in and out too, and the save states won't remain.
---------------------

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006, 07:47:36 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale

Originally posted by: vudu

I've been wondering this too.  I made a change to my Mii yesterday and I know I didn't resend it to SB...

SB, when you get a chance, look at my Wii and see if I have a open mouth smile or a closed mouth half smirk.  If it's an open mouth smile, it auto changed.

lol, i  cant beleive things are being said like this
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2006, 07:48:30 AM »
also, can you connect a keyboard and use it? ala xbox 360?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2006, 07:50:10 AM »

Originally posted by: TrueNerd

Wouldn't that be a distraction?
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2006, 08:04:20 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
I will when I get home, but I suspect it won't change because that would require that, upon logging on, the Wii would have to check every Mii ever created in the entirety of the Mii plaza for updates.

I'll check, but if it DID change, that "THUNK" noise will be my jaw hitting my knee.

Why?  WiiConnect24.  The Wii is always on, and checking for updates, remember?

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2006, 08:55:58 AM »
Yeah, but think of the volume of traffic we're talking about.

1. You can have up to 100 Miis in your plaza. If EVERY one of those Miis needs to check their "Mii of origin" for changes, on EVERY Wii on the network, it would be an insane amount of bandwidth moving around.

2. I don't think Miis are registered or tied in any way to the console they were created on, ergo, there's no way my Pale Mii knows that it should be updated from the original Mii from which it was wrought.

The more I talk about this, the more religious connotations it seems to have: is the creator relevant to the Mii, or are Miis made in our images entitled to the free will of possessing their original characteristics without vindication from the update procedure?

I need to think about this...

In the meantime, Pale, send me a new copy and let's see if he overwrites the one I have now.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2006, 08:58:20 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
Yeah, but think of the volume of traffic we're talking about.

1. You can have up to 100 Miis in your plaza. If EVERY one of those Miis needs to check their "Mii of origin" for changes, on EVERY Wii on the network, it would be an insane amount of bandwidth moving around.

2. I don't think Miis are registered or tied in any way to the console they were created on, ergo, there's no way my Pale Mii knows that it should be updated from the original Mii from which it was wrought.

The more I talk about this, the more religious connotations it seems to have: is the creator relevant to the Mii, or are Miis made in our images entitled to the free will of possessing their original characteristics without vindication from the update procedure?

I need to think about this...

In the meantime, Pale, send me a new copy and let's see if he overwrites the one I have now.

I think you drastically overestimate the amount of data/bandwidth this would require.  Remember, you can fit 10 Miis on your Wiimote, and it only has 6KB of memory resident.  That means each Mii is less than 1KB, so even 100KB would only take a few seconds.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2006, 09:02:45 AM »
True, but multiply that by a potential: 100 Miis per Wii X Every Wii sold which is online and has Miis on it sent from other people.

Besides that, I think point #2 holds up: has anyone seen any indication that Miis retain the knowledge of where they were created, beyond the simple "name of creator"?

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2006, 09:35:12 AM »
I don't think Miis would update in emails, 'cause I'm sure Miis don't update on the Wii Message Board's memos.  On the first day with the Wii my Mii looked a little different, and after adjusting my face, a couple original posts about Wii Sports still have my old face.

EDIT: Oops, I thought we were talking about Mii faces on emails and memos or whatever, and not the Mii Plaza...