Poll

Will Nintendo pull off another 30 for 30 in Japan sales this year and, if so, how many times?

Yes. 1 time.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 2 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 3 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 4 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 5 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 6 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 7 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 8 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 9 times.
2 (18.2%)
Ninten-domination! 10 times or more that the top 30 goes to Nintendo Software.
4 (36.4%)
No. It doesn't happen once this year. Sony plays spoiler.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 16, 2023, 10:54:36 AM

Author Topic: Official Sales Thread  (Read 3194557 times)

Offline Blue Plant

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • My site.
RE: Official Wii Sales Thread
« Reply #725 on: February 28, 2007, 06:47:04 PM »
Probably could've sold 1,705,281 copies if it were on DS.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
RE:Official Wii Sales Thread
« Reply #726 on: March 01, 2007, 01:42:31 AM »
give a little credit whered its due, those are amazing number for any game on any system especially on a system whose userbase is less than half that of its competition whose highest selling game sold 50,000 copies and is well recognized franchise. I've never heard of the PSP game before has anyone else? I don't think its an anime because I likely wouldv'e heard of it if it was.

Although let's give credit where its also due and say that the DS is still pounding the PSP into oblivion :-). Fire Emblem sales are a little disappointing.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: March 01, 2007, 02:25:08 AM »
I'm not too surprised by Fire Emblem's sales...look at Wii Sports: It's not hardcore gamers buying the Wii in Japan, it's non-gamers.  For the next while, expect most traditional games to have so-so sales.  I've also heards some complaints that the game uses the classic controller where the pointer would have been perfect...maybe people are disappointed that it doesn't take advantage of the system's capabilities.

Monster Hunter did extremely well. I personally think it did better on PSP than it might have done on DS, where there's Pokemon to compete with.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: March 01, 2007, 05:19:01 AM »
I'm not 100% on this, but I think MHP & MHP2 are just ports of the PS2 versions, and the PSP is a 1/3 the userbase of DS - 5mil vs 15mil.
and... FE sales aren't that bad considering that the one for GC only debuted at 25k higher and had a much larger userbase.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #729 on: March 01, 2007, 05:46:04 AM »
Add the fact that Fire Emblem is only an artficially popular franchise, like the niche Ogre Battle/Tactics/Cooking/Fitness games.

MHP is a good example of catering to a hungry audience, like Halo and shooters in general for Xbox.  It's an effective business direction, and makes it obvious why Capcom is continuing support by simply porting last year's ps2 games, because of the $$$ potential, word up.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #730 on: March 01, 2007, 05:57:30 AM »

Originally posted by: couchmonkey
Monster Hunter did extremely well. I personally think it did better on PSP than it might have done on DS, where there's Pokemon to compete with.

It's not a Pokémon clone, though. The series is more akin to Phantasy Star Online than anything else (no story, just objective after objective), and the title is not implying the catching of these monsters but the killing of them.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: March 01, 2007, 07:42:31 AM »

I'm not too surprised by Fire Emblem's sales...look at Wii Sports: It's not hardcore gamers buying the Wii in Japan, it's non-gamers.  For the next while, expect most traditional games to have so-so sales.  I've also heards some complaints that the game uses the classic controller where the pointer would have been perfect...maybe people are disappointed that it doesn't take advantage of the system's capabilities.

Actually, I'm mightily impressed with FE's sales. It's a very niche title with a VERY new console userbase, and it seems to be on track to sell a respectable 100k to 115k... 150k if they're really lucky. 75k first week is beyond your average game launch, and more than I expected for a hardcore game on a console where Wii Sports and Wii Play are the big sales drivers.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: March 01, 2007, 07:45:07 AM »
People are going to have to wait until next weeks sales before really saying anything about Fire Emblem.  FE9 for the Gamecube only sold around 150,000 total in Japan because it came out when the Gamecube was dead in 2005.  Since the Wii is selling very well in Japan right now, there's a good chance Fire Emblem will have some legs.

Plus you have to remember the best selling Fire Emblems were FE3 and FE4 back in the Super Famicom days and these were their lifetime totals.

Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - 697,750
Fire Emblem: Geneology of a Holy War - 578,000

As you can see the series while popular was never putting up numbers in the millions.  It's always been more of a hardcore audience thing, so really all a Fire Emblem needs to do is sell a few hundred thousand and Nintendo will be happy with that.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: March 01, 2007, 10:25:15 AM »

Originally posted by: Arbok

It's not a Pokémon clone, though. The series is more akin to Phantasy Star Online than anything else (no story, just objective after objective), and the title is not implying the catching of these monsters but the killing of them.

Whoops, my bad, I was thinking of Monster Rancher...which may still be nothing like Pokemon, it just struck me as a clone back in the day, although I never played it.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: March 01, 2007, 11:20:23 AM »
Monster Rancher started as a cash in to the Tomagatchi(sp?) craze and truly evolved into its own in the second version.  Which I still prefer overall. (Mainly because I like the idea of the monsters doing missions on there own.)
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: March 01, 2007, 03:44:08 PM »
This is a pretty fast rate of sale for the Wii. I'm really hoping it holds up. 75k a week in Japan? Yikes! That pace is like, 3.9 million a year! Assuming america is also 75k weekly (NPD numbers for January seem to bear that out) and europe gets shafted at about 50k weekly.... that's like... 10.4 mil a year worldwide! stupendous! .... not enough to catch up with the X360 by New Year's '08 but still pretty stupendous.

... that's assuming the sales hold up.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: March 01, 2007, 03:52:36 PM »
I'd say, if all goes as planned, Smash Bros in Spring 2008 or so will push the Wii ahead of the 360 for good..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: March 01, 2007, 04:09:01 PM »
The Wii won't be able to push these sorts of numbers though unless they can get the games out. The Holiday line-up will be VERY important, and to a lesser extent the summer line-up too since that'll lead into it and they'll need momentum if they really want to hit it big.

Actually, I'm hoping more casual-esque games like DDR Wii pop up this Fall (and Guitar Hero too perhaps?) because those will cement the Wii firmly in the middle of mainstream sensibilities. I'd also hope that they get more non-gamer experiences out there such as my current personal holy grail, Wii Music. And finally, they'd need SOME significant showing in the hardcore arena... there's no question that hardcore gamers will prefer the X360 and PS3 this fall (heck, MGS 4 is coming out, and maybe even Halo 3), but the Wii NEEDS to at least hold its own here for appearance's sake. Maybe a bevy of ports, MP3, BWii and online play this holiday season will do the trick?

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: March 01, 2007, 04:16:37 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
there's no question that hardcore gamers will prefer the X360 and PS3 this fall (heck, MGS 4 is coming out, and maybe even Halo 3)

I'll pass on both of those vastly overrated games!

Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: March 01, 2007, 04:37:43 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

there's no question that hardcore gamers will prefer the X360 and PS3 this fall (heck, MGS 4 is coming out, and maybe even Halo 3)

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you that most rare of beasts... that most legendary of legends... the stranbgest of a strange breed...

I give you a creature whose dignity is only outweighed by its wrath, whose cynicism is only outmatched by its optimism, a mix of true hyperbole and exagerration and hype and reality and possibility all in one...

I give you... the mythical, physical, lyrical, typical...

NINTENDO FAN!!!

*GASP*

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

P.S. J/k. As much as I respect those games and would probably get them for the Wii if ever such a thing happened... they're not nearly interesting enough to me to begin to tempt me to buy a second system. GTA IV maybe, but not those.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: March 01, 2007, 06:01:10 PM »
umm... hardware & 31-50 posted

31. (DS, Pokemon) Pokemon Pearl
32. (PSP, SNK Playmore) Metal Slug Complete
33. (Wii, Nintendo) Odoru Made in Wario
34. (DS, Bandai Namco) Heisei Board of Education DS
35. (DS, Spike) IQ Supplement DS
36. (Wii, Nintendo) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
37. (PSP, Capcom) Monster Hunter Portable
38. (PS2, Konami) Prince of Tennis CARD HUNTER
39. (DS, Nintendo) 1000 DS Recipe
40. (DS, Rocket Company) Kanken DS
41. (DS, Sega) Love and Berry DS Collection
42. (DS, Nintendo) Kirby Squeek Squad
43. (PS2, SNK Playmore) Garou Densetsu Battle Archive 2
44. (DS, Nintendo) Tetris DS
45. (PS2, Marvelous) Aaa! Megami samaa!
46. (DS, Sega) Sangokushi Taisen DS
47. (DS, Capco) Megaman Star Force Pegasus
48. (DS, Sega) Puyo Puyo
49. (PS2, SCE) Untold Legends Dark Kingdom
50. (DS, Konami) NOVA Usagi no Game de Ryuugaku

Hardware:
DSL 136,128
PSP 100,210
Wii 78,506
PS3 19,315
PS2 15,054
Xbox360 4,183
GBASP 1,035
GBM 907
GC 323
DS 132
GBA 59  

Looks like we found Wario & Zelda, but still no sign of VF5. I wonder if Gundam(sold 150k so far) will hold on for longer.  

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
« Reply #741 on: March 01, 2007, 07:01:55 PM »
Oh noz! PiisPii to0k out teh wii!

teh wii is d00m3d~1
"Once 6 A.M roles around on Friday it's like a human tsunami and everything will be taken within minutes." -- Luigi Dude

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: March 02, 2007, 12:59:30 AM »
The portable systems on top again.  Though the PSP is a lot closer then normal.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #743 on: March 02, 2007, 02:02:07 AM »
I love how the top 3 are fairly close to each other in the 100k range, then all of sudden 4th place (the GayS3) is 19k.

Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: March 02, 2007, 02:41:42 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you that most rare of beasts... that most legendary of legends... the stranbgest of a strange breed...

I give you a creature whose dignity is only outweighed by its wrath, whose cynicism is only outmatched by its optimism, a mix of true hyperbole and exagerration and hype and reality and possibility all in one...

I give you... the mythical, physical, lyrical, typical...

NINTENDO FAN!!!

*GASP*

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

P.S. J/k. As much as I respect those games and would probably get them for the Wii if ever such a thing happened... they're not nearly interesting enough to me to begin to tempt me to buy a second system. GTA IV maybe, but not those.

But MGS is a vastly overrated, over hyped series of games.  It doesn't matter what system they are on, it doesn't change the fact that it's overrated.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: March 02, 2007, 04:23:01 AM »
MGS seems to have too narrow of a focus to rope in any amount of new players.

It's definitely the type of game I enjoy, but it never sold me a system. I'd play it if it was on the Wii (like I did with the GC), but I'm not about to drop $600 or even $300 on another system so I can play it.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #746 on: March 02, 2007, 06:39:14 AM »
With sites like Youtube in this day in age, you won't have to play it.

Just watch the 5 hours of cutscenes online.  in crap-definition

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: March 02, 2007, 06:46:25 AM »
Actually, I downloaded the cutscenes from MGS3 and did just that.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #748 on: March 02, 2007, 06:54:56 AM »
So...

Wii sales are pretty strong huh?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #749 on: March 02, 2007, 06:54:59 AM »
YOU JUST SAVED $600 ON YOUR CAR INSURANCE!