Author Topic: The worth of PS3, your opinion?  (Read 9906 times)

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: The worth of PS3, your opinion?
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2006, 02:35:44 AM »
Now that's all said and done...I'd pay about $600 for an unopened PS3 and then resell it on Ebay.  But in terms of keeping it, I'd do it for $100 right now.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline darknight06

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:The worth of PS3, your opinion?
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2006, 09:10:59 AM »
I've actually seen a stand alone Blu-Ray player for $999 USD.  Judging by that $400 price tag, HD-DVD sounds like a far more economical deal.

Offline Pikachelsea

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2006, 03:39:17 PM »

Originally posted by: Garnee
Absoultely nothing.

It's worth negative monies for me.  They should pay ME to play it.

QFT. I couldn't possibly disagree more with Sony's greedy approach to the industry (yay let's force our blu-ray player on gamers who don't care about blu-ray in another vain attempt to ensure the success of our proprietary formats) or their disdain for their loyal fanbase. I would require payment to blaspheme my house by owning a PS3.

Offline Gamebasher

• Flaming the competition...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2006, 05:29:42 AM »
I can understand why they are pushing that Blu-Ray player. They are an entertainment company, so it makes perfect sense to them to do so. Still, I believe it will be the cheaper HD-DVD that wins! Blu-Ray will be Sony´s next Betamax! That aside:

I wouldn´t EVER buy a PS3 even if it cost $99!

I have despised Sony since they contributed to killing the SEGA Dreamcast, which I found to be the best machine I had ever played on then. Better than the PS2 in terms of hardware design, graphics and controller. I vividly recall the Sony fanboys celebrating "the death of Dreamcast" and swore to the mighty Gaming God that I would shun Sony forever, and await the time where they would pay for the damage they had inflicted on the videogameindustry by throwing SEGA out of the consolebusiness. SEGA are missed by many to this day, as they were the ones who should have been in there with Nintendo. So I shifted my attention to Microsoft and XBOX, and XBOX360, and have concentrated on only Nintendo and them ever since.

If the Wii had the graphics of the XBOX360 you say? I would then be willing to pay whatever price Nintendo asked for it, and which day I am sure will come in the next generation where they have mentioned they will go all-out for HD.

Nintendo is the originator of videogame innovation! The Great Mover of the Industry. Past, present and future. Rightfully, the King of Videogaming!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2006, 06:16:58 AM »
Sega's stupid business decisions are what did 90% of the damage, Sony prodded them a bit and they came crashing down. Sega's business decisions remained horrible and they fell so far they got bought by Sammy. Their game quality has been constantly going downhill as well (outside of Treasure), 3D Sonic was bad at first but they somehow managed to make it worse with every iteration (what idiot decided Sonic needs more characters?), Monkey Ball failed to meet expectations on the Wii, the rest of their output lately isn't even worth mentioning. They had some bright moments on the  GBA and DS but obviously not enough to keep them alive.

Offline Gamebasher

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2006, 03:50:04 PM »
I agree that SEGA made some serious mistakes, which all cost them dearly. Stupid management (i.e. "I am in charge, and so I make the decisions, and YOU SHUT UP!") has always been the reason why talented people left companies for better places to work, and I am sure that is what happened at SEGA. Yes, there was the few famous people like Tetsuya Mizuguchi, Yu Suzuki and Yuji Naka left whe they had merged with Sammy, but that isn´t going to be enough.

I think that a combination of over-confident management, and employee dissatisfaction caused key-developers to scram, and thus leaving leaving SEGA as an empty shell. Only a shadow of it´s former great self! Could THAT explain perhaps why Sonic has been boring, dull ever since they went into 3D with the Blue Hedgehog? Or "forgot" to re-invent the old cherished franchises that had brought them so many fans? Or took half a decade to bring out the sequel to SEGA Rally 2...on a Sony console exclusively? It´s kind of ironic that they got to develope games for Sony, because a lot of disgruntled SEGA gamers when over to Sony when they got ENOUGH of SEGA and their flopping consoles! So the SEGA fanbase was split between Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft consoles and remain so to this day. I can vividly imagine developers having shivers running down their spines at the thought of the implosion they were witnessing at SEGA!  

However, I am STILL mad at Sony simply because they took such huge advantage of the sinking SEGA, instead of thinking like Nintendo does: encourage creativity in the industry and HELP SEGA, and NOT just think crudely in terms of money! Nintendo has taken the initiative to help a lot of people see the right way to make games, and this, I believe, has saved the industry from an inpending crash! But Sony will probably never understand that! To them it´s not games, creativity as much as it is hard, cold cash! And THAT is where the gaming spirit dies. So I am eternally gratefull that we have Nintendo today!

They are truly...the King of videogaming!!!!    
Nintendo is the originator of videogame innovation! The Great Mover of the Industry. Past, present and future. Rightfully, the King of Videogaming!

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2006, 04:53:13 AM »
Eh, I dont know, I think Nintendo would have happily stamped Sega out if it had the same opportunity.  I remember the days when Sega was seen as the cool rebel to Nintendo's evil, all-encompassing empire.  Nintendo wants what is best for the industry, but I think Nintendo considers (or used to consider) itself to be what's best for the industry - and nothing else.

Edit: I think it's the fanboys that celebrated Sega's demise that deserve your wrath.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Gamebasher

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2006, 11:33:00 AM »
BOTH the fanboys and Sony.

But I really don´t think that Nintendo ever wanted to thwart SEGA. I believe in Nintendo as a company with a healthy competition spirit, and not a cut-throat attitude! Everything they have done so far seems to indicate that.

To be a strong competitor is one ting (Nintendo), but to simply not respect, or not care about your competitors, and act like you own everything, and care nothing for others in the business - that is quite another! And I think Sony they are act like that. I have also heard Sony say many times "We don´t care!" about this and that related to the consolebusiness. They probably also don´ t care about the fact that they have once more copied Nintendo´s controller design, or about launching a console to the market which is so expensive that it is nearly possible to buy BOTH a Wii and an XBOX360 for the demanded sales price of one PS3! And which one console cost so much money to develope games for that I wonder how the makers of the games ever rake in any healthy profit! Maybe they also just don´t care?    

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2006, 12:01:35 PM »

Originally posted by: Gamebasher
Still, I believe it will be the cheaper HD-DVD that wins! Blu-Ray will be Sony´s next Betamax!

The loser will be the next Betamax, the winner will be the next Laserdisc.... neither will really win.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2006, 06:09:15 AM »

Originally posted by: Arbok

Originally posted by: Gamebasher
Still, I believe it will be the cheaper HD-DVD that wins! Blu-Ray will be Sony´s next Betamax!

The loser will be the next Betamax, the winner will be the next Laserdisc.... neither will really win.

I will laugh if a third format releases and trounces both of them. What ever happened to the notion of standards? Do us as consumers really need another format war? I hope people boycott both formats in response to the format war (definitely my plan).

But I suppose if years down the line we still have this war raging I'd support HD-DVD before I'd support those Sony bastards.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2006, 07:05:31 AM »

Originally posted by: Mr. Jack
But I suppose if years down the line we still have this war raging I'd support HD-DVD before I'd support those Sony bastards.

Stores won't be that patient if it hasn't taken off by then. I'm sure they will still sell the players, but outside of specality video stores finding much of a selection for the discs themselves will be tough.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk