Author Topic: First Twilight Princess Review  (Read 30501 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:First Twilight Princess Review
« Reply #125 on: November 17, 2006, 03:13:03 PM »

Originally posted by: Crimm
I agree with IGN on the music.  Nintendo really needs to get into orchestrating their music.  I can understand size limitations of a GC disk (since it was a GC game), but all Wii games that get the Zelda budget should be orchestrated from this moment forward.

You can't get dynamically changing music and ambience if you're using orchestral recordings, can you?

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com  
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
RE: First Twilight Princess Review
« Reply #126 on: November 17, 2006, 03:35:15 PM »
I hear that gamespot has a video review up.

But then again, video reviews SUCK for those of us trying to avoid spoilers.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 17, 2006, 03:36:43 PM »
lol gamespot

They're the ONLY ones who complain about the Wii controls.  The spoiler in their review is just icing on the cake.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Artimus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 17, 2006, 03:37:35 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon

Originally posted by: Crimm
I agree with IGN on the music.  Nintendo really needs to get into orchestrating their music.  I can understand size limitations of a GC disk (since it was a GC game), but all Wii games that get the Zelda budget should be orchestrated from this moment forward.

You can't get dynamically changing music and ambience if you're using orchestral recordings, can you?

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Not as such, but MIDIs don't change dynamically. They're pre-set and just fade into each other when it becomes appropriate. All possible with orchestrated music (see Final Fantasy, which does do music well). Not he praises the composition a lot, really loved the actual music. He just wanted to see more justice to it, and who doesn't want that? It's not like voice acting where it could easily suck.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 17, 2006, 03:42:06 PM »
If you record a bunch of mild variations on the piece, or perhaps only on its execution, you can simulate the shifts done in virtual instrumentation.

You could also take symphonic music and apply virtual instruments or audio filters into the mix to achieve thematic changes.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 17, 2006, 03:46:48 PM »
Ah. Glad to be educated. I guess springing for audiophile goodies isn't as high on Nintendo's list as some would like. But that's not really a surprise now is it?

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 17, 2006, 03:54:44 PM »
The gamespot review struck me as gerstman really just not liking the Wii, he seemed to have an issue with having to move the wiimote and nunchuk, the stuff about the game being too nostalgic is just BS.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 17, 2006, 04:00:08 PM »
Oddly enough after reading about Gamespot's bitching about Wiis controls my respect for IGN, GAMESPY and to a smaller extent 1UP grew. The reason why is even though some of the reviewers sound whiny atleast they are trying to embrace the new type of control scheme and try to differenciate if they are great,excellent or bad/sloppy or just plain shoe-horned in.

Edit: Sorry about the error I had a memory lapse when i was typing i hate how gamespy and gamespot have similar names.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #133 on: November 17, 2006, 04:11:29 PM »

Originally posted by: Lord_die_seis
Oddly enough after reading about Gamespot's bitching about Wiis controls my respect for IGN,gamespot and to a smaller extent 1UP grew. The reason why is even though some of the reviewers sound whiny atleast they are trying to embrace the new type of control scheme and try to differenciate if they are great,excellent or bad/sloppy or just plain shoe-horned in.

Wait, what...

So you agree Gamespot is being overly whiny about ii, but your respect towards them grew?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 17, 2006, 04:14:45 PM »
I'm actually not all that ruffled over Gamespot's review score. Just that they somehow found fit to give Zelda gameplay an "8" and it's sound a "7" AND they threw in a spoiler to try to ruin my life.

...but they failed.

*phew*

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 17, 2006, 04:16:37 PM »

Originally posted by: Artimus
It's because Gamespot averages the individual scores. So sound and Gameplay are equal.

As far as I know its not an average, gameplay wheights more, but they did gave gameplay a "low" score (8 by all means is good, but oh god do it to Zelda and blood will be spilled)

Theres also the fact that in sound and graphics the game just doesn't compare with wii games, its a GC game in a wii package, and GS has the tendency to give that importance, the graphics and sound score are not absolute but rather relative to what can be expected from the specific console. They do the same for gameplay, thats probably why they give it an 8, given the promise of the console, expect gameplay scores to be rated harshly from their site.

Of course their rating system is flawed, and overall ratings mean little to nothing, I'd love to read the review to see how good really is but every single review of the game is all full of spoilers (I consider the name of the first town a spoiler) so I will have to get back to this in mid december when I get the damn game.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #136 on: November 17, 2006, 04:29:43 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
Ah. Glad to be educated. I guess springing for audiophile goodies isn't as high on Nintendo's list as some would like. But that's not really a surprise now is it?

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

I don't consider orchestrated music an "audiophile goodie." Music is important. Having it played by real live human beings, instead of computers, would add to the experience and heighten the emotional impact of the game, whether you're an audiophile or not.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline segagamer12

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 17, 2006, 04:39:57 PM »
Too true wandering. As a music producer and sometimes composer i love working with digital recordings as It makes like so much easier. BUT I totally respect and wish I could compose orchestra music because it does offer more freedom of expression. I can sample digital recordings of orchestra recorded files but they arent as good as live recordings digitaly mastered.

I have recordings of string instruments that I sample into my Hip-Hop tracks and they sound fine for that cuz its Hip-Hop. But when I actually tried sampling these recordings into a full orchestra sounding file meant to use in a soundtrack I was working on it didnt capture the feel a real orchestra could.

Not thet anyone cares but I can upload the recordings I made for refference if interested. It really does makea difference. Also I can't believe anyone still uses midi, thats archaic.

Oh and to reply to the topic I aint reading any reviews before i play this game and I refused to watch any trailers. I don't wanna spoil nothing and I trust Nintendo to get Zelda right, I mean they can't mess it up twice.

You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #138 on: November 17, 2006, 04:48:08 PM »

I trust Nintendo to get Zelda right, I mean they can't mess it up twice.

I sincerely hope you're referring to Adventure of Link.  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 17, 2006, 04:49:41 PM »
um nope I loved that game. anyways change subject and avoid flame wars. Imma peacfull cat really I am.  
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 17, 2006, 04:52:33 PM »
Midi for life. If that end credits song from Wind Waker was midi then it has no limits as far as i'm concerned. I fail to see how great music can suddenly become not up to scratch and ancient.

Offline White Mage

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 17, 2006, 04:55:29 PM »
I've only read the IGN review and it did seem balanced (minus the voice acting, which I could care less about).  I was suprised that they didn't touch on the Wii-mote's speaker.  I hope that means it was used effectively and that it's audio quality isn't as bad as it has been previously announced.  Did any of the other site's reviews mention it?
Wii Code:  5059 7465 0039 6632
The Conduit: 1419 7264 9585
AC: City Folk 0388 2629 6780 | Name: Matthew | Town: Adatopia

Offline Edfishy

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 17, 2006, 05:41:12 PM »
I think a 9.5 from IGN is quite fair, but I'm still not very happy with Halo 2 outranking a Zelda game.  I mean, come on, Halo 2 has way too many flaws to deserve a 9.8.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 17, 2006, 05:46:54 PM »
I still found it funny that IGN gave jade empire a 9.9 anyways I fixed my post I typed gamespot instead of gamespy (I respect IGN,gamespy and 1UP more).
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 17, 2006, 06:04:42 PM »
In all fairness, Matt has commented in the past that he didn't care much for how the other channel editors (Playstation, Xbox) reviewed games. So if Spanky McFrat Boy gives Guns and Hoes 3 a perfect 10, their isn't much he can do about it.

On the other hand, if he mentions voice acting in a review one more time...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 17, 2006, 06:48:46 PM »

Originally posted by: segagamer12
Not thet anyone cares but I can upload the recordings I made for refference if interested. It really does makea difference. Also I can't believe anyone still uses midi, thats archaic.

Could you? I'd like to know what all the hubbub is about.

Certainly there's a certain performance aspect to music, but... I just may be an audio philistine.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 17, 2006, 09:13:34 PM »
According to neogaf Edge gave Zelda: TP a very respectable 9/10. I don't think edge gives decimals in their scores, so that sounds pretty good to me. After all... this IS a gamecube game, lol.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 17, 2006, 09:26:04 PM »
I'm still having trouble juggling how this game is said to be not only the best Zelda but one of the best games of all, and yet not manage anything much higher than a 9.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline WalkingTheCow

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 17, 2006, 09:42:19 PM »
Because it's a launch game. I think it's very smart actually. Yeah TP looks to be an incredible game! However it's a first generation Wii game and it's probable that in a few years developers (Nintendo included) are going to be getting even more out of the controller and, of course, out of the Wii's graphical capabilities. I think alot of these reviewers are just thinking about the future and it's neat really because it shows that they believe that the Wii is going to continue to impress.

That said, it's quite possible that Twilight Princess will end up being heralded as the greatest game for years to come but we can never say it took full advantage of what the system is capable of. . .  And that seems to be everyone's single gripe in their written reviews as well.

That being said, I've been thrilled at the scores I'm seeing everywhere (Gamespot excluded. But they've always been a little. . . funny). I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 17, 2006, 10:46:42 PM »
I just watched Gamespot's video review and wow, talk about being fair!
OMG THE GAME DOESN"T HAVE VOICE-ACTING, IT'S TEH L00SE!!
Seriously, I couldn't care less about voice acting in a Zelda game. At least, we don't end up having 30 minute-long CGI cutscenes that ruin the mood.
I used to like Gamespot reviews but now, I'm not so sure they're credible.
Jeff, just get a PS3 and review Riiiiidge Racerrrrrr, now that should be fun! Unless someone is too biased, huh?
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)