Author Topic: Joystiq's...uuuuhhhh...Wii impressions?  (Read 9409 times)

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE: Joystiq's...uuuuhhhh...Wii impressions?
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2006, 07:49:02 AM »
Well it makes me feel like a man.

And then after awhile it makes me feel good.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline OverHeat

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2006, 07:49:38 AM »
word.  
Do, or do not. There is no try.

Offline Pittbboi

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2006, 07:59:30 AM »
It may be an anecdotal argument, but it doesn't change the fact that I've talked to plenty of people about the Wii who have reacted in the same way.

And, as far as tennis goes, this is the first I've heard of anyone doing that. Everyone I know started out trying to actually play the game like they would a real game of tennis and by the end of their play had degenerated into wrist flicks because you got better results that way.

" I take it you haven't read a single Zelda preview in the last month. "

Yeah, and I've played the game myself. As I said, I believe in the potential of the wiimote, I'm not completely bashing it. The wiimote performs exceptionally well in TP, but in my opinion only enough to make you not really miss the standard controller in most areas. The fact that it even does that is testament to Nintendo's dedication to their franchises, but even then some reviews have stated that Zelda has its minor control issues. The wiimote needs to go beyond the standard controller so thoroughly that people have a hard time figuring out how they ever played games without it, and not just be an acceptable alternative. I think a lot of Nintendo's new target audience will react like this guy if they just let the wiimote rest on acceptable alternative. Again, I do think the wiimote has the potential, but they need to hurry up and fully exploit that.

"Did you just not read what I said? I...AM...A...REAL...TENNIS...PLAYER...And I'm absolutely dying to play Wii Tennis...So automatically your little generalization is just dead off the mark... "

Wow, congratulations, pal. Didn't mean to step on your toes there, but "I...AM...A...REAL...TENNIS...PLAYER..." too and I have played Wii Tennis, so I stand by my opinion. Sure, people will like it, but some people won't, and I'm inclined to believe that most people who actually play and enjoy tennis probably won't.

Offline Strell

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2006, 08:04:07 AM »
I just want to say on the topic of Wii Sports:

It's a glorified tech demo.  You can't control your character directly, there's not a plethora of options, no big single player mode, etc etc etc.  It's also one of the first games out for the system.

I imagine when game dev revs up, we'll get Mario Tennis Wii, and all of those issues will be fixed.  I imagine it will then require larger swings, or at least have the option to do so, so that tennis games don't become wrist flicks.  Someone else might make a realistic tennis game where swings are required, etc etc.

The problem here is that we have enough fat slobs complaining "omg I'm going to get tired."  So the only real option is to allow someone to swing away AND to modify it to small flicks.

At any rate, Wii Sports is the absolute tip of the iceberg.  Sh*t.  It's a snowflake about to land on the iceberg.  And it's going to do a good enough job to convince nongamers (especially) AND gamers alike that this thing is real and will be a lot of fun.  I have absolutely no question about that now, given the almost universal appeal found in reviews.

But we'll just have to wait and see.  Everyone is so caught up in the launch wave right now that we're not looking down the road a year from now, where I believe the true test lies.

$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE:Joystiq's...uuuuhhhh...Wii impressions?
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2006, 09:40:28 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion

And certainly not flick their wrist in a game that tries to mimic playing tennis but doesn't come close, using a controller that tries to mimic a racket but doesn't come close...

Sorry, but Wii Tennis isn't going to win any points with the REAL tennis players.

Did you just not read what I said?  I...AM...A...REAL...TENNIS...PLAYER...And I'm absolutely dying to play Wii Tennis...So automatically your little generalization is just dead off the mark...

and you are BILL, the biggest Nintendo nut Ive ever seen no offense, but I think most of us downplay your reactions, the most accurate thing actually is to mix yours with Ian's. Im sure that among tennis players, you are the exception rather than the rule.

Im not even going to bother with this, Joistiq has been having a grudge with the wii all this time for god knows what reason and they barely post an objective article these days. Ok, I know that that is the ways of gaming "journalism", but Joistiq has already crossed the line of subtle subjectivity to blatantly obvious hate.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2006, 09:52:17 AM »
Hey, I'm the biggest Nintendo nut ever because they make awesome games...I can't help that...

But seriously, my fanboyism has nothing to do with my objective opinion in stating this...Being a tennis player, I'd rather mimic the movements in a tennis game rather than pressing a button...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2006, 11:46:00 AM »
All I'm going to say is if anyone thinks that guy at Joystiq is representation of most "casual" or "non-gamers" I have trouble taking their opinion seriously.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2006, 12:10:33 PM »
someone needs to b!tchslap that guy a couple of times.....
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2006, 05:03:30 PM »
OMG, negative opinions.  I predict a 5 page thread to discredit them.
"wow."

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2006, 05:06:09 PM »

Originally posted by: BigJim
OMG, negative opinions.  I predict a 5 page thread to discredit them.

I'll see your 5, and raise you another 3.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Strell

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2006, 05:10:10 PM »

OMG, negative opinions.

These aren't negative opinions.  They're biased pre-decided dumbass ones.

$10 Bet with Khushrenada

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2006, 05:14:51 PM »

OMG, negative opinions that a 12 year old would probaly give.  I predict a 5 page thread to discredit them.

There that is more like it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2006, 05:21:25 PM »

Originally posted by: Arbok
I'll see your 5, and raise you another 3.

I call and raise.

I think I can win this on the flop...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2006, 09:42:41 PM »

Originally posted by: Douchebag

It feels like I'm holding my dick in my hand. ...It's very light and flimsy.

From God's lips to his, uh... Wiimote.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2006, 01:27:32 AM »
Why do people that hate Nintendo bother to review Nintendo products?  That's like seeing Karl Marx as a contributing editor to Forbes Magazine.  I'm not gonna lie, I don't like Sony.  At all.  I don't like their company, I don't enjoy the Playstation brand, I don't attempt to offer unbiased critiques of their products.  They win, I win.  Frankly, I distrust any review that spirals into the Freudian, as should everyone (save for the reviewers' therapists).  
Not just flowers,I love them all like weeds and     veget
able.

I want to do garden forever.

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2006, 11:19:49 AM »
"These aren't negative opinions. They're biased pre-decided dumbass ones."

"... opinions that a 12 year old would probaly give."

Yeah, that's the stuff. Three more pages to go.
"wow."

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2006, 12:42:37 PM »
Hmm, I like the negative comments.  It makes me realize that the world isn't crazy anymore.  Everything is normal.

Also, with just enough of this bad press Wii will be easier to get on launch day!
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram