Author Topic: help me UPGRADE before Wii  (Read 16741 times)

Offline nycube

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:help me UPGRADE before Wii
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2006, 06:16:09 PM »

Originally posted by: kings x
It looks like the Onkyo 680 6.1 package is my best bet for the money... $380 from Crutchfield... how can I find a better price?  It is a little hgher than I'd like, but I guess there's only one way to get this stuff... and that's to pay.

There were good reviws that didn't seem like fake reviews from the manufacturer.  And Consumer Reports had it as a top pick (for the money).

How do you find the best price?  Is there a site like cheapassgamer for electronic components?

The best price ive found is 259.99 for a refurb unit.. before you balk at the thought of refurb units,,any damage is purely cosmetic.(onkyo rep told me this) which was true for me.

Both my units were refurb,, and have been going strong for over three years now..

Another good deal is club onkyo,, a no cost membership,to a point building club.. (1 pt=$1) you start with 10,,and each purchase earns points off future purchases as well.

Just some info, if you want to save a couple of bucks, any questions feel free to ask.  

Offline kings x

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2006, 04:09:33 AM »
Hudsonhawk, you mean to tell me, I have to replace bulbs in this TV?  Before you said a CRT HDTV was what you recomened, which this rear projection is.   I was going to place an online order today for the Hitatchi, please check the link out (on page 1) to see what the TV specs are if you are warning against it.  I does say it is CRT tv.I do not want to deal with maintaining a tv.  

A $1000 flat panel tv would be much smaller than 51"...I don't care *as much* about it being slim (although slim is niiiiiiiiiiiice) as I like screen size.

_________

And about the refurbished home theater, Crutchfield sometimes sells 'open box' stuff, but are you (nycube) suggesting I buy refurb direct from Onkyo?  I didn't even know they sold directly.

Offline hudsonhawk

• View Profile
RE: help me UPGRADE before Wii
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2006, 04:48:51 AM »
Sorry, my bad.  No it won't require bulbs.  According to the product page, it might not require recalibration either: "...CRT projection TVs periodically require professional calibration because color beams lose focus and get out of synch over time (a convergence error). With Hitachi's Magic FocusĀ® Auto Convergence, you can easily fine-tune the colors for flesh tones that are natural and colors that are sharp, brilliant and realistic."  I guess I should read before commenting!

When I suggested a CRT I meant tube HDTVs - something like this.  CRT projection TV's are great size for the money, but that comes at the expense of quality, and they're very very bulky and deep.  

I'm a quality over quantity guy, so that's why I'd steer you elsewhere.  But if size is your 100% main concern, you're right - you won't get more size per dollar than you do with a traditional rear projection TV.  I certainly don't think you'd be wasting your money getting the Hitachi - it sounds like a reasonably nice TV, though I'd check out AVSForums to see what they had to say about it first.  

Offline nycube

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2006, 10:07:52 AM »
yes onkyo does sell direct, shoponkyo.com

Offline kings x

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2006, 03:44:02 PM »
big time thanks to everyone.  hey I've been hearing horror stories of "rear projection" tv's.  Everyone seems to think the view of the screen blacks out depending on your viewing angle.  I personally didntnot notice this in the store -but honestly I didnt do 'that' test.  I tell the cynical "it's CRT HDTV 51" rear projection 16:9 widescreen - not like the old kind of rear projection tv"... and they tell me I am crazy, what gives?

my only real yank right now is that I want to get my stuff and set it up, which involves re-arranging the whole room... and the same of $50 off ends Friday or Saturday -I need to save $ wherever possible so I want the sale price.

Offline hudsonhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2006, 09:40:14 AM »

I tell the cynical "it's CRT HDTV 51" rear projection 16:9 widescreen - not like the old kind of rear projection tv"... and they tell me I am crazy, what gives?

To be fair, CRT is the old kind of rear projection (what I referred to earlier as a "traditional" rptv.)

Though, like I said, this one claims to be immune to the necessary periodic recalibrations so that takes care of my big complaint about them.  I still don't like the viewing angle issues, nor the bulkiness, but only you know if those will be a problem for you.

I'm sure whatever you get will be great and serve you well.

Offline Ages

• Wii the People
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2006, 06:41:07 PM »
Hey kings x, if you're up for a long night on Thanksgiving, Best Buy has that 51" Hitachi on sale for black friday for $700
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you n

Offline kings x

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2006, 05:30:56 AM »
Ages, what do you mean?  how do you know this?  And how do I know if my nearest store (2 hours away -which were sold out in 1 day of this tv) is worth going to.  Black friday sales are morning deals right?  Or do best buy start 24 hours schedule on Thanksgiving?  This news wil help me since the sale ended early yesterday and is now $1000 again.

I checked out a similar RCA 50" DLP rear projection  and the Walmart I was at SUCKS!  The Tv was 5 feet above my head, looked bad from below, but 20 feet back (while aproaching) it looked ok.. no employees to help me or get a ladder... I am NOT sold on these type of tv's... I don't know what to do.  What is better CRT or DLP?
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4926756

So let me have it:
THE BEST (biggest, comparable quality/value) TV FOR ~$1000 IS...  
(name it)

Thanks guys, you've all been very helpful, and I am sure many lurkers are also geting good info. from this too.

WOAH BIG EDIT:  I meant to ay NOT sold on thoe type of TV's (sometimes I forget important words in my typing...DOH!

Offline hudsonhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2006, 05:38:36 AM »

What is better CRT or DLP?

DLP is better.  You really have to be on-axis to judge the quality though.

At this point though you should wait to find out what the black friday deals will be.  It's the best time of year to buy a TV; I don't doubt that you'll be able to find a nice DLP for that price on that day.

Offline Ages

• Wii the People
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2006, 09:00:30 AM »

Ages, what do you mean?  how do you know this?  And how do I know if my nearest store (2 hours away -which were sold out in 1 day of this tv) is worth going to.  Black friday sales are morning deals right?  Or do best buy start 24 hours schedule on Thanksgiving?  This news wil help me since the sale ended early yesterday and is now $1000 again.

blackfriday.info is your friend kings.  Black friday is typicaly a morning thing, as many people spend quite a few hours outside the store before its opening.  Best Buy doesnt have a 24 hr schedule for Thanksgiving, however, from what I've heard, around 4AM, a store representative gives out tickets for specific items customers want.  Afterwards, the customer would be able to come back after the store opens to purchase the item.  Hope this helps.
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you n

Offline kings x

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2006, 05:07:31 PM »
I think I found the beast that I want (56" toshiba DLPrear projection hdtv widescreen 16:9) and I have realized that I care about the quality but I am ALWAYS drawn back to the large sizes of these rear projection tv's, but I would go with DLP, not CRT.

Do DLP rear projection hdtv's require bulb replacement?   And are there any other specs I am overlooking or just too inexperienced to notice?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7727374&ref=39&loc=01&st=toshiba+56"+DLP+projection+HDTV&lp=14&type=product&cp=9&id=1140391964310

My Wii sound should be good with the Onkyo 680 system (which can be upgraded later).

The thought of Zelda and multiplayer (and online) Wii stuff on 56 inches is hard to pull myslf away from!

Offline hudsonhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2006, 04:40:21 AM »
Yes, the bulbs last about 6000-8000 hours.  To put it in perspective, I've had a plasma TV for 2 years which receives steady use, and it only has 900 hours on it.  

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2006, 05:09:58 AM »
If you planned to leave the TV on 24-7 then it would run out in a year. (8766 hours in a year)  If you watch it 8 hours a day 24-7 then that would be 2922 hours in a year.  So you get 2 years out of it at the minimum.  Personally I say you probably don't watch tv for a job and will consider Hudsonhawk usage average at min you'll probably get 6 years out of the bulb minimum.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline kings x

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2006, 06:26:01 AM »
Great info!  How much are bulbs?  I have seen a post in a previous Wii TV thread stating it could be up to $1500 for a bulb???  The tv wont even cost that much.

If I can grab that 56" beast on black friday I will be very pleased.
Thanks guys

Offline hudsonhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2006, 07:14:05 AM »
Depends on the TV, and you should definitely find out before you buy it.  On average they're $200-300 though they may require professional installation depending on the model.

Update: I see one on eBay right now for about $200.

Offline hudsonhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2006, 10:10:48 AM »
FYI, this is a pretty good deal

Offline kings x

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2006, 11:43:23 AM »
thanks so much hudsonhawk.  Iv checked that one out and was out of stock yesterday before I found the 56" beast, which I am growing more attached to (the idea of giant screen) by the minute.  

Offline kings x

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2006, 04:33:14 AM »
What is ILA (or HD-ILA)?

Overstock has a ton of these tv's on sale right now.

Offline segagamer12

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2006, 06:16:09 AM »
>>Television: There have been too many changes in technology to keep up with since I bought my last TV many many years ago. <<

This is easy, all you need to do is goto a Best Buy or any electronics store and look for LCD monitors that accept VGA and Composite inputs. The Wii is supposed to be compatible with both. You can get a  good one of these for 300-500 dollars depending on screen size.

>>Surround sound system. Yea, sadly I am way behind on this as well. For 10 years I've been using a "gaming tv" by Samsung called GXTV that has fake surround sound (and it was only 13"). Any recomendations for a decent, affordable 'theather in a box' package? I don't even know where to begin with this.<<

Others will disagree with my but there is nothing better as far as stereos go and that includes Home Theartre, than Sony. They actualyl are top of the line and you can get a good Dolby Prologic II system from them for under 200 easily. As a professional DJ and record Producer I will say as far as sound goes Sony really is top notch.

>>Another issue is getting Wii online. I have an OLD PC (just as pathetic as my current TV setup), and I am on DIAL UP right now (and it sucks as much as you remember). I am going to need to switch to DSL for other reasons as well, but also because I want to get my DS, and Wii connected to the Nintendo Wifi system. What do I need to buy or upgrade on this current Windows 98 PC? <<

Dude if you running a PC that came with Win 98 you do not need to upgrade you need to geta  brand new computer. Cuz you would have to max out your systems RAM, get Win XP and in addition to DSL you will need a WiFI router.  IF you go with an LCD that Has VGA and Coomposite hook ups yoru golden cuz then yo can use it for yoru Wii and your PC and as a TV allat the same time.

>>>And finally, watching DVD's has never been a priority with me and I've never owned a real dvd player (had ps2 for a few months though). I want to add a cheap/decent dvd player, any tips? Are they all DVD players pretty much the same now that they are OLD like the rest of my gear?<<<

If you are getting a Wii you could always watch DVDs on that. Otherwise you can get DVD players for likke 30 bucks at any store. Dont pay more than $80.00 cuz it aint worht it the supposed features of the higher dollar ones are a joke. Unless you are going all HD and want to geta n HDDVD player (or Blu Ray if thats yor thing) then spend some cash and get the high end device. But wait a year or two till more movies come out for both.

Again many will disgree but other than gaming I always go Sony all the way, they are a top notch electronics company. JVC and Sanyo are all good too but don't ever go with an off brand or company that doesnt have at leasta htirty year reputation cuz those newer companys come and go, Sony has been around forever.

You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2006, 03:02:05 PM »
I'll disagree because Sony is, well--****. I have a Sony home theater receiver also, and can attest that their low-end consumer electronics aren't worth the cardboard they're shipped in.

...Sony has been around forever.

So has Castro.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline kings x

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2006, 04:55:46 PM »
A sincere thanks segagamer, but in my own experience EVERY single piece of Sony gear I've owned has been total, and I mean TOTAL garbage.  I am not a brand-whore, and have absolutely zero interest in "console wars (meaning, I am not trying to be a flaming fanboy of anything at all).  Even simple devices such as cd players, walkman, vcr's, tv's, two ps1's, 1 ps2, studio headphones, and probably other stuff and all has "expired" for no apparent reason at completly random times (never longer than the usual 2-3 year life-span), with no reasonable (and very rude) customer support, and believe me I am more gentle with my stuff than most people are because as you can see from my 'update' needs I hate buying stuff.

That being said, I will consider almost any non-generic brand name, with the exclusion of sony.

Right now I am settling on the toshiba 56" DLP rear projection widescreen hdtv, if I can get one during the holiday rush.  And for sound I need to hurry up and buy the Onkyo 680 package.  The room size is maybe 12'X14' and is basically being transformed into a home theater-ish gaming/entertainment area, specifically for Wii, and a few dvd's, as well as some regular tv use.

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2006, 08:11:54 PM »
Well I knew peeps would disagree but I have had nothing but good luck with Sony. Yeha I know and I forgot to memntion cuz its well know that thier stuff craps out but I have never had anything go bad and everything I have has endureed much punishemnt and still wroks great. Maybe ya all just get bad love from sony cuz you hate playstation so much?

Seriously I dont get it Every electronic device I have ever had thatw a Sony has always been great. JVC was always good tome too, but I always find that SOny stuff, although not as long lasting in some respects, was always high quality. but I guess different peeps have differnt experiences.

Toshiba has never worked out for me either so maybe its not brand maybe its just different people have different luck maybe?

(not to mention that my record label has agreements with Sony as we license thier software and tunes for sampling but thats all besides the point
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2006, 09:30:57 PM »
New technology is new technology. I had a great Sony TV that was like, from way back in the 80's that I played N64 on, it was really awesome how well that thing held up with the RF adapters and all...

But new technology is new technology, no matter how well you built your tvs 20 years ago. A lot can happen between then and now, and new tech ALWAYS breaks. After my Nintendo GC disc drive died, all bets are off and brand means next to nothing to me in terms of value/durability.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2006, 02:28:43 AM »
KingsX, I found my tv at walmart...but it appears you already found one.  Here's the link anyway-  Phillips
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2006, 03:50:17 AM »
Pre-PS popularity I vouch for Sony quality but after only their high-end stuff if the don't kill it in favor of an inferior product, PDA line axed in favor of PSP.  Its only been slipping since they keep focusing on their game division.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.