Author Topic: IGN (or I should say, Matt) is at it again...  (Read 7727 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:IGN (or I should say, Matt) is at it again...
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2006, 01:25:16 PM »

Originally posted by: vudu

Originally posted by: MaryJane
Showcase: You can look, but if you want to touch you have to pay more than just the admission price.
Kinda like a lap dance.

Unless you live in Seattle where they have the 3ft law for stripclubs. So you guys better avoid coming here if you plan to do that stuff!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Jensen

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2006, 01:47:06 PM »
I think the problem is more with the controller than the software.  The controller can't feel the difference between a flick of the wrist and a larger motion.  

The controller does best with pointing (using a cursor), and with pitching and rolling in place.  Lateral motion can not be directly detected, only inferred.  General direction may not be too hard to figure out, but distance is harder.

The only way you can really do full 3d detection of lateral movements  (that I know of)  is to do it like most motion capture is done... Put 2 or more cameras in different places, and put an IR LED (or a ping pong ball) at the end of the controller.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: IGN (or I should say, Matt) is at it again...
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2006, 04:39:31 AM »
I don't think Nintendo really intends this to be a "preview".  In Iwata asks they were all raving about what a bargain the game is and how five games give it lots of longevity.  So either Nintendo is crazy and wrong and crazy, or like I said before the game is meant to be a hook for non-gamers.  People who don't spend "several hours" playing video games, EVER.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2006, 05:51:50 AM »
All I used to hear from people worried about full armswings was that "you will get tired too fast and it will suck."  Nintendo says they will also let you control by just flicking your wrist and now suddenly this is somehow cheating.  Some people just can't be pleased even when given what they ask for.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2006, 06:27:45 AM »
i'v been listening to ign wiikly, and apparently one of the ign guys figured out how to hit a homerun every time
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2006, 08:32:45 AM »

Originally posted by: Jensen
I think the problem is more with the controller than the software.  The controller can't feel the difference between a flick of the wrist and a larger motion.  

The controller does best with pointing (using a cursor), and with pitching and rolling in place.  Lateral motion can not be directly detected, only inferred.  General direction may not be too hard to figure out, but distance is harder.

The only way you can really do full 3d detection of lateral movements  (that I know of)  is to do it like most motion capture is done... Put 2 or more cameras in different places, and put an IR LED (or a ping pong ball) at the end of the controller.

That's strange because I swear EA said that Madden will know the difference between a lob pass and a bullet pass, but you must know more about developing for the Wii than they do.

Oh I know what the problem, this is WiiSports, an introduction to the controller.

Think about this, there are 5 games on this one disc, how much effort did they really put into each one? I'm sure their biggest concerns were smooth gameplay not 100% realism, if WiiSports offered 100% realism what would be the point of buying a major league game u could create your own Mii teams and never care about the real deal = bad for business, also it would require more than one disc I bet. Which would negate it's ability to be given free by Nintendo.

If you want to be even more (or less depending on how you look at it) cynical just say that this is a first generation game, and the games will only get better from here on out.

Speaking of which, making the games "incomplete" give Nintendo the opportunity to release WiiSports2 with improved controls, maybe packaged with 2nd gen Wiis that are different colors, or have built in DVD capabilities.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2006, 09:45:23 AM »

Speaking of which, making the games "incomplete" give Nintendo the opportunity to release WiiSports2 with improved controls, maybe packaged with 2nd gen Wiis that are different colors, or have built in DVD capabilities.

This actually has me a bit concerned. With the latest news out of Japan all but confirming that a revised Wii will retail next year with added functionality, it makes me wonder if buying a Wii now would really be worth it, if something better is coming 6 months later (I've heard Spring 2007).

Of course it would be worth it, but I'm left wondering if being an "early adopter" would be worth the investment on a machine which could potentially be replaced by an upgraded model less than a year later. Different colors is a given (I personally would prefer a black Wii instead of the basic white one). I don't care about DVD playback - but what if there are other enhancements? More internal storage (1GB+)? Slightly more RAM (could make gameplay a bit smoother on troublesome 1st Gen Wii titles). Digital Audio Output/5.1 Surround Sound?  
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2006, 09:58:16 AM »

Originally posted by: Rhoq

This actually has me a bit concerned. With the latest news out of Japan all but confirming that a revised Wii will retail next year with added functionality, it makes me wonder if buying a Wii now would really be worth it, if something better is coming 6 months later (I've heard Spring 2007).

Of course it would be worth it, but I'm left wondering if being an "early adopter" would be worth the investment on a machine which could potentially be replaced by an upgraded model less than a year later. Different colors is a given (I personally would prefer a black Wii instead of the basic white one). I don't care about DVD playback - but what if there are other enhancements? More internal storage (1GB+)? Slightly more RAM (could make gameplay a bit smoother on troublesome 1st Gen Wii titles). Digital Audio Output/5.1 Surround Sound?

You may be right about the potential for Digital Sound to be put in, but I doubt that would matter much because it would take awhile for companies to deem it worth the cost to implement it. The 1GB internal memory is also a minor thing, there is more than enough memory to save patches and the system settings. If you want more for game saves or VC just buy a SD card. More ram is another I would not worry about because if Nintendo did that, it would be beyond stupid unless they let you somehow expand the memory in the older Wii system models.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2006, 10:07:17 AM »
"Slightly more RAM"

They wouldn't do that.  That pretty much would make it a different platform because any game that used the extra RAM would be unplayable on a launch Wii.  Nintendo didn't do anything like that with the GBA SP or the DS Lite so I would assume that nothing of that sort would happen this time.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2006, 10:14:06 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"Slightly more RAM"

They wouldn't do that.  That pretty much would make it a different platform because any game that used the extra RAM would be unplayable on a launch Wii.  Nintendo didn't do anything like that with the GBA SP or the DS Lite so I would assume that nothing of that sort would happen this time.

Well they did do it with N64, but there it was included with games that required it but if I recall that was known from the start that there would be expansion ram.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2006, 11:40:49 AM »
yeah the only way to reasonably add more RAM(in terms of a good business decision) would be through a similar device as the N64 had, it could go through the USB ports.

Speaking of which, oh actually I'm going to make a new topic about it after I eat some chinese food... if I remember.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2006, 02:05:09 PM »
RAM through USB ports?

*faints*

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2006, 04:13:17 PM »
Ok. Everyone stop!

Nintendo might add DVD Playback like the Cube.  Maybe a little bigger internal SD Card.  It be the equivalent of a better scree for the portables.  Different colors.  Besides that.  It ain't happening folks.

Nintendo has designed the system specs how they wanted.  They have been tweaked by ATi and IBM to work well with there processors.  Nintendo is not going to go up and change things in 6 months.  I can see a smaller one in 2 years.  At earliest.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.