Author Topic: New Smash Brothers Trailer Incoming!  (Read 31213 times)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
New Smash Brothers Trailer Incoming!
« on: October 31, 2006, 03:05:25 AM »
Smash Brothers Website

A new trailer will be coming to the Nintendo World show in Japan (first day is November 3rd), supposedly one that showcases the already-revealed new characters in real-time (and not in FMV like the last trailer)...Hopefully they showcase a new arena or two, and possibly even a new character, but I guess I shouldn't get too spoiled!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:New Smash Brothers Trailer Incoming!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 03:58:30 AM »
This is gonna be a mini e3 weekaton this week!  Think about it, today alone the media press gets to play the final build of Zelda TP for Wii.  I think there embargo is lifted come Friday and we will be seeing new media and videos on Zelda then!  BUT WAIT THERES MORE, now not only will we be getting new zelda footage, but a SSBM trailer.  I hope they follow the style of showing some nintendo characters and show off a 3rd party character at the end.   It makes the ending so much sweeter.

Speaking of SSBM does anyone think Sakurai is really goin to stick with ONLY 2-3 3rd party characters. . . . .?  It seems kind of sad if he did with so much potential out there.  

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 04:01:43 AM »
I expect that they will show some characters, but they will probably be ones we expect to be in the game, like the starting characters from the previous two games.  I'd like to see a new character too, but they have to keep enough surprises for when the game comes out!

I suppose I could avoid all trailers (to be surprised by everything), but that would be difficult...

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
RE: New Smash Brothers Trailer Incoming!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 04:21:35 AM »
For some reason, I just don't believe in spoilers for fighting games...it's not like there's a plot or anything.  I guess if the trailer revealed a super-secret hidden character I'd be annoyed, but I'm pretty sure they'll avoid that on purpose.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 04:57:29 AM »
I heard there is definitely one new character revealed.  Take your bets on what character will be revealed?

I am hoping for them to show exactly how the game is played (Gamecube controller/virtual console controller or Wii controller.)

I also would like to see a more balanced representation on how the Super Moves work, and Air Combos.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 05:49:35 AM »
I think the characters that will be revealed are the ones previously mentioned on a radio interview (Riddley, Bowser Jr. and cel shaded Link), as well as the updated models of the current characters.

About the third party characters, I think Sakurai wants to preserve a balance, meaning that SSB is all about Nintendo, not Nintendo vs. the rest of the gaming industry.

I just hope at least Sonic makes it. I mean, the idea is so obvious that if they don't do it they will look foolish.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 06:12:21 AM »
As we discussed back in the day on the Smash Brother thread.  Sonic just doesn't have a good moveset.  Bomberman and Simon Belmont are better choices.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 06:26:30 AM »
Can't wait, really the last time I have anticipated a title this much was... well, Smash Bros Melee.

Originally posted by: pap64
I think the characters that will be revealed are the ones previously mentioned on a radio interview (Riddley, Bowser Jr. and cel shaded Link), as well as the updated models of the current characters.

For the love of god, that was FAKE. That rumor is going to stay around until the damn thing comes out now...
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 06:32:05 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
As we discussed back in the day on the Smash Brother thread.  Sonic just doesn't have a good moveset.  Bomberman and Simon Belmont are better choices.

Neither did Fox and Cpt. Falcon, but that didn't stop Hal from creating special movesets for them.

At least Sonic has some good attributes that make him a good fighter.

His spin dash can easily be turned into a down+B move. His hop and attack a basic jump attack, and he has speed. Oh and since they are implementing super mega attacks in Brawl, Sonic's super attack can be him turning into Super Sonic.

Once again, if they were able to take characters that are not known for their moves (because Fox and Falcon are vehicle based characters) and create solid and LOGICAL moves for them, who says they can't do the same thing for Sonic, who at least has attacks of his own?

For the love of god, that was FAKE.  That rumor is going to stay around until the damn thing comes out now...

Last I heard, Sakurai himself confirmed the characters in a radio interview. The news was posted around sites. True, it  is still unconfirmed, but considering Sakurai was involved in this there is some slight truth to it.

We'll find out when this alleged trailer is released.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that this rumor is more valid than the rumor of Ubisoft characters being in the game. With that rumor, only one OBSCURE source was credited, then it was never heard from again. At least the Radio show rumor was credited as possible.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 06:32:29 AM »

How is Bomberman any better than Sonic?  Sonic can... spin... dash... thingy.  Bomberman can chuck bombs.  Neither of them has much of a "moveset."
GOREGASM!

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 06:41:17 AM »
F*CK YOU, ANTICIPATION!!!!!!111!!!!!!

*cough*

Originally posted by: JonLeung I suppose I could avoid all trailers (to be surprised by everything), but that would be difficult...

Nigh impossible, even. Sakurai had already said that they'll announce the secret characters even before the game is out to avoid the fiasco they had last time.

Oh, and Sonic WILL BE IN THIS GAME. People have been clamoring to see Mario vs. Sonic for decades now. It WILL happen.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 06:52:49 AM »
I hope they at least show off Sonic.
And I really want to see some new Nintendo characters and not ones we have heard of.
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline zakkiel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 07:01:37 AM »

Speaking of SSBM does anyone think Sakurai is really goin to stick with ONLY 2-3 3rd party characters. . . . .? It seems kind of sad if he did with so much potential out there.
Am I the only one who thinks it's kind of sad that SSBB will include non-Nintendo characters at all?

And capamerica, why is Samus sucking on a pacifier in your avatar?
Defenestration - the only humane method of execution.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 07:08:19 AM »
Bomberman, Mega Man, and Simon Belmont all make better movesets than Sonic.

But if Sonic is in the game I wouldn't mind.

I want Bomberman and Mega Man though.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 07:19:51 AM »
Belmont would make 2 Konami characters so I wouldn't count him as likely.

However, Bomberman and Megaman are HIGHLY likely, given that Hudson developed so many Mario Party games for Nintendo and Mega Man was practically a Nintendo character back in the day.

Rayman is also likely, given the absolute EXPLOSION of Ubi support for the Wii and the at least timed exclusivity of RRR for the Wii, DS and GBA.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2006, 07:24:47 AM »
I think the new character should be Master Chief wielding Cloud's sword from FFVII and if you manage to knock off his helmet it turns out that he's Crash Bandicoot underneath.

Edit: and for his super attack, he does the Kamehameha Wave.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2006, 07:53:33 AM »
As you said Fox and Falcon where Vehicle based characters.  We didn't know what they could do.  For all I knew Fox could Morph into a robot.  Sonic has a clear defined move set that are his.  For that very reason it makes it harder.  It's easier to paint a work of art on a blank canvas then to add to the Mona Lisa.

Rayman be an interesting addition.

I too am sad that it's not just Nintendo.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2006, 07:57:28 AM »
I second as long as it isn't Nintendo VS the world we are cool. I love the idea of a few 3rd party characters joining in the fun. It can only help with sales, and cause better relations between Nintendo and these 3rd parties.

What did you square fans out there think when you found out Disney characters would be crossing with Final Fantasy characters? Seems like that would be a bit harder to swallow.

And as long as Mario isn't traveling with Snake on one of his missions, and vice versa nothing wrong is going on.

As for Sonic as a fighter, im sure it can work.  

A - Standard kicks and punches

A Smash left or right - Super Peel out. If done quickly(c stick speed) Sonic does a nice punch(or Kick maybe) like Marios old smash attack from the first game. If held for about 2 seconds or longer, he runs in place(like Sonic CD) and once you let go he takes a medium sized, fast step, with a sudden stop into a huge kick or punch.

A Smash up - I imagine a kick like Fox's

A Smash Down - Once again I can only think of low split kick like Fox or a sweep like Mario.

Just jumping and pressing A will work like bowsers except Sonic gets that white flash around him while he is in a ball from Sonic 3.

B - Sliding kick (that I hate so much from Heroes!)

Down B- (and rapidly press) Spin Dash (similiar to jigglypuffs, maybe just slightly faster and harder to control. Can't do it in mid air like Jiggly.

Up B- Sonic Tornado - Spins up in a tornado probably about as wide or just a hair wider then adult links spining attack. Would work like Young Links spin attack.

Down B in Air - Bounce/dig - If you tap it Sonic will bounce back up getting slightly higher, 3 bounces max. But only stationary no bouncing all over the place. If Held, Sonic  comes crashing down like bowser, goes under the ground, and then able to pop back out to the left or the right, but not very far. If ground is very thin and Sonic goes under he's dead.

I think things similiar to that can work great.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2006, 08:39:44 AM »
Actually, there was a Sonic fighting game for the 32X or Saturn, I believe: Sonic Fighters, but it sucked.

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2006, 08:44:03 AM »
The rumor about Cel Shaded Link and Boswer Jr. still exists?

What the f*ck is wrong with some of you people?
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2006, 08:44:22 AM »
I would focus Bomberman as having different Bomb types.

The Standard Bomb would blow up similar to Bomberman 64, a small radial blast.  
Another Bomb available would be a Water Bomb that when thrown bounces like the Rubber Bomb in Super Bomberman 2.  And explodes as water rushing across the ground, more like traditional Bomberman blasts...but with water.

Finally a Wind Bomb can be used to allow Bomberman to recover from smash attacks, and send foes flying.

Charging bombs can make their blasts bigger, and charge enough and you can make a detonator bomb which water bombs, and a Dangerous Bomb with regular bombs, and perhaps a Hidden mine with air bombs, that smashes the player straight up.

Now all you need is some generic style fighting for the rest of Bomberman.

Mega Man is both easier and harder to create.  Easier because there is so many options for weapons, harder, because it can be difficult to make him feel like a unique character.  

Basically you would want to recreate Mega Man's most popular moves and abilities copied by his foes.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2006, 08:45:50 AM »
They could make it so, whenever Mega Man KOs someone, he gets their powers until he gets KOed or KOs someone else.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2006, 09:06:37 AM »

As you said Fox and Falcon where Vehicle based characters.  We didn't know what they could do.  For all I knew Fox could Morph into a robot.  Sonic has a clear defined move set that are his.  For that very reason it makes it harder.  It's easier to paint a work of art on a blank canvas then to add to the Mona Lisa.

Did you freak out when Mario learned how to throw a punch in Super Mario 64?  What about the Ice Climbers?  Their original move set was even simpler than Mario's.  Besides, this sort of pedantry in general has no place in a game that lets Donkey Kong pick up a Super Scope and shoot a ReDead, then get a flower planted in his skull by a Pokemon summoned by Samus.  Compared to that, Sonic learning Kung Fu is almost banal.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2006, 09:09:26 AM »
Smash:  That would actually be kinda funny...and fun.

Little things like that are important.  Things that point out that this character is different.

I offered once that Bomberman should be able to hold Bob-Bombs indefinately...and he should be the only one that can kick his bombs and pick them up.  

To me Smash Brothers isn't just a fighting game, it is a game about designing the characters to feel like who they are from their original games.  

Another aspect that would be cool for Bomberman would be to do bomb jumps, off of bombs he let go.  As he bounces off of them they explode...causing faster explosions, but they don't hurt him.  Yet, Bomberman can still get caught in his own blasts regularly going off.

I am curious how they design Solid Snake, because he seems to be the hardest new character to represent honestly in Smash Brothers.  MetaKnight already looks cool and has some unique attributes, and so does Pit, but Solid Snake, we haven't seen anything of him really.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2006, 09:14:40 AM »
sonic should have a head butt, and should spin as down b. If they cut jiggly puff out..he should take some of jiggly's moves
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post