Author Topic: Sony Puts Lik-Sang Out of Business  (Read 20040 times)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
Sony Puts Lik-Sang Out of Business
« on: October 24, 2006, 05:32:14 AM »
The popular online import games store is done accepting orders as of NOW.

Lik-Sang.com out of business due to multiple Sony lawsuits    

Hong Kong, October 24th of 2006 - Lik-Sang.com, the popular gaming retailer from Hong Kong, has today announced that it is forced to close down due to multiple legal actions brought against it by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited and Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Sony claimed that Lik-Sang infringed its trade marks, copyright and registered design rights by selling Sony PSP consoles from Asia to European customers, and have recently obtained a judgment in the High Court of London (England) rendering Lik-Sang's sales of PSP consoles unlawful.    

As of today, Lik-Sang.com will not be in the position to accept any new orders and will cancel and refund all existing orders that have already been placed. Furthermore, Lik-Sang is working closely with banks and PayPal to refund any store credits held by the company, and the customer support department is taking care of any open transactions such as pending RMAs or repairs and shipping related matters. The staff of Lik-Sang will make sure that nobody will get hurt in the crossfire of this ordeal.    

A Sony spokesperson declined to comment directly on the lawsuit against Lik-Sang, but recently went on to tell Gamesindustry.biz that "ultimately, we're trying to protect consumers from being sold hardware that does not conform to strict EU or UK consumer safety standards, due to voltage supply differences et cetera; is not - in PS3's case - backwards compatible with either PS1 or PS2 software; will not play European Blu-Ray movies or DVDs; and will not be covered by warranty".    

Lik Sang strongly disagrees with Sony's opinion that their customers need this kind of protection and pointed out that PSP consoles shipped from Lik-Sang contained genuine Sony 100V-240V AC Adapters that carry CE and other safety marks and are compatible world wide. All PSP consoles were in conformity with all EU and UK consumer safety regulations.    

Furthermore, Sony have failed to disclose to the London High Court that not only the world wide gaming community in more than 100 countries relied on Lik-Sang for their gaming needs, but also Sony Europe's very own top directors repeatedly got their Sony PSP hard or software imports in nicely packed Lik-Sang parcels with free Lik-Sang Mugs or Lik-Sang Badge Holders, starting just two days after Japan's official release, as early as 14th of December 2004 (more than nine months earlier than the legal action). The list of PSP related Sony Europe orders reads like the who's who of the videogames industry, and includes Ray Maguire (Managing Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd), Alan Duncan (UK Marketing Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd), Chris Sorrell (Creative Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd), Rob Parkin (Development Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited), just to name a few.    

"Today is Sony Europe victory about PSP, tomorrow is Sony Europe's ongoing pressure about PlayStation 3. With this precedent set, next week could already be the stage for complaints from Sony America about the same thing, or from other console manufacturers about other consoles to other regions, or even from any publisher about any specific software title to any country they don't see fit. It's the beginning of the end... of the World as we know it", stated Pascal Clarysse, formerly known as the Marketing Manager of Lik-Sang.com.    

"Blame it on Sony. That's the latest dark spot in their shameful track record as gaming industry leader. The Empire finally 'won', few dominating retailers from the UK probably will rejoice the news, but everybody else in the gaming world lost something today."

:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Rhoq

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Sony Puts Lik-Sang Out of Business
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 05:44:46 AM »
Fu*k Sony.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 05:55:58 AM »
Another reason to hate Sony.

I only shopped there a couple times to get console controller adaptors for my PC (man, I used my N64 controller on my PC for what seems like forever).  They shipped pretty quickly the times I shopped.

I was actually looking at GKWorld at some merchandise just yesterday - looks like I may have to go with that or look for some new online import stores.  I don't buy foreign games but I think I like Japanese merchandise unavailable here, like those pixelly Super Mario Bros. magnets and keychains and the like.  I should get more.  But not from Lik-Sang, because Sony is stupid.

Wasn't Planet GameCube affiliated with Lik-Sang?

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE: Sony Puts Lik-Sang Out of Business
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 06:06:33 AM »
Yeah, they were our import partners.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 06:19:53 AM »
Oh, duh.  I see an ad for Lik-Sang right there on the front page!

Guess that'll be down soon...  

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 06:20:29 AM »
I just read this news posting over at Kotaku and I was simply stunned to read the news. Sony really is an evil corporation, built completely on greed. Lik-Sang did a huuuuge service for the hardcore gaming crowd and Sony had to go screw them over. Seems  like what Sony did should be illegal. All I have to say is, f*ck you Sony you greedy money grubbing b@stards.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 06:25:03 AM »
This is a classic case of having right vs. what's right.  Sony has all the right in the world to stop Lik-Sang from selling consoles to regions of the world before they're released there, but from a consumer perspective it's just not right.

Funny how they always goes on about being the brand that's dedicated to the hardcore gamer, and then they turn around and shut down a website that caters STRICTLY to hardcore gamers.  It makes sense from a business standpoint, since L-S was technically taking sales from them (although I'm sure the numbers were miniscule); but from a PR standpoint it's one of the worst things they could have done.  It's not like mainstream people are ordering from Lik-Sang, hell they wouldn't even know about it.

Leave it to Sony to hurt their core audience in the name of the almighty dollar.  And God bless them for being dicks just because they can.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 06:32:49 AM »
Back in the day, Nintendo was a bit of a bully to other companies when they had the dominant position in the industry, now Sony is doing the same thing, hopefully the PS3 is their N64

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 06:42:00 AM »
Sony is also making it "illegal" to preorder PS3s in the UK.

Believe me when I say that Europe is already pissed off enough about being passed up for launch of the PS3. This is just more icing on the cake.

In any case, the Wii will launch unchecked in Europe as the next big console.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 06:55:40 AM »
Bleh.  I don't even use Lik-Sang, but this is horrible news.  I can't wait for Sony to self-destruct.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline UniversalJuan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 06:55:56 AM »
Sony can officially bite the fattest part of my ass. I'm talking more than they already could...wow this pisses me off. I had unused Lik-Sang points damnit! DAMN YOU SONY! GAH! I need to go before I break a forum rule of some sort...this has me thuroughly POed and Sony can thank themselves for being -1 customer.
They gave a war, nobody came, imagine all the fuss. They'd have to send themselves instead of...sending us. Yeah (People of the Generation - by Scatman John)

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
The greatest game of all time is Super Smash Bros Brawl.  It

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 07:10:33 AM »
Wow, how is Sony able to keep topping itself? I fully expect them to start kicking puppies before the PS3 launches.

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 07:15:05 AM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
Wow, how is Sony able to keep topping itself? I fully expect them to start kicking puppies before the PS3 launches.

Didn't you know?  They start everyday with a Bowl of Puppies for breakfast

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 07:35:07 AM »
So is Lik-Sang completely gone, or are they just not allowed to sell PSPs?
GOREGASM!

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2006, 07:40:58 AM »
what F'n douche bags. they use the service and then go hey, let's shut them down.

sony = hitler.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 07:41:30 AM »
Low act, Sony are going to take as many people down with them as they can.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2006, 08:02:27 AM »
NoE got the Wii region locked, SCEE felt left behind and decided to do something even worse. Seriously, it's like those two try to outdo each other on the number of customers alienated.

Though I don't get how Lik-Sang goes from "can't ship consoles" to "we're going out of business". How many people actually import consoles instead of buying them local, chipping them and importing only the games?

OTOH, didn't Lik-Sang "go out of business" when they were stopped from selling modchips, too?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2006, 08:03:01 AM »
This is incredibly depressing news.  To me it doesn't even make sense for any of this to even be illegal.  Lik Sang didn't steal the PSPs in Asia.  Sony got money for those, right?  To me this is no different then a used game store only on an international scale.  Of course big corporations want those closed down too and the law seems to exist to support big business as opposed to upholding what's right.

Of course all my sound and fury is signifying nothing since I was never going to buy a PS3 anyway.

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 08:03:11 AM »

Originally posted by: Smoke39
So is Lik-Sang completely gone, or are they just not allowed to sell PSPs?

According to the article, lik-sang is gone.

I think My sentiments on the idea have been thoroughly discussed, but I'll say it anyway.  FU*K SONY

WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2006, 08:30:21 AM »
They sold more than just games.  They could've just stopped selling the games (and certain accessories) and continued on with the other stuff, couldn't they have?  >_<  Like the posters and toys and keychains and other doodads.

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2006, 08:36:17 AM »
Well, I got the impression that they're going out of business because the legal costs were too high and drove them bankrupt.
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2006, 08:36:49 AM »
I am whirling vortex of vitriol and hate.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2006, 09:03:05 AM »
Dear Sony,

Die plz.

Sincerely,
Dirk
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2006, 09:09:50 AM »

The list of PSP related Sony Europe orders reads like the who's who of the videogames industry, and includes Ray Maguire (Managing Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd), Alan Duncan (UK Marketing Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd), Chris Sorrell (Creative Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd), Rob Parkin (Development Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited), just to name a few.

Revealing private customer information is pretty low....but oh man is it justified in this case. Screw Sony. I knew about the legal troubles, but I never imagined it would lead to them going out of business.

RIP Lik-Sang.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline wanclering

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2006, 09:17:22 AM »
you know lik-sang actually was one of Sony's biggest customers. Lik-Sang actually has to purchase the systems from Sony before it could resale them. As far as I know. There is no law saying resale is illegal. Gamestop does it all the time.
Deceased Forum Clone
Wanc LeRing