Author Topic: Battalion Wars II  (Read 34414 times)

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:Battalion Wars II
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2006, 09:34:56 AM »

Originally posted by: Stimutacs Addict
from IGN's preview: "While we didn't get a chance to check out the multiplayer mode today, we did see that two Wii consoles were connected via wireless LAN to allow for two player games without split screen. "

does this mean our Wiireless multiplayer is still an option!!?!? Nintendo has conquered American dormlife~!

Gotta QFT this one.

That would be an amazing idea.

People could bring their Wiis over to your house (it's tiny enough for portability) and hook up some mad multiplayer local proper.

I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE: Battalion Wars II
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2006, 11:51:44 AM »
There are two reasons I haven't bought Battalion Wars. The first is the fact that for whatever reason, it's still fifty friggin' dollars. The second is that it had no multiplayer, when just looking at the screens and watching the videos, I could tell it would be perfect to play multiplayer. Now that it has multiplayer, it may just be worth $50.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2006, 01:41:46 PM »
Videos up at IGN!

Looks really sharp in motion...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline eljefe

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2006, 01:50:18 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Videos up at IGN!

Looks really sharp in motion...

qft

..:    I just noticed WTF is FTW backwords. Sometimes when you think things are going bad, they suddenly turn around. Much like this thread. For the win.  :.   MJRx9000

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2006, 01:54:19 PM »
WOW

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2006, 02:27:06 PM »
Wow x2, if this game was created with the GC development kits I can't wait to see what the final version looks like. This is a good example of graphics I find impressive, they are easy on the eyes and they run at a high framerate with no slowdown. Give me a game that looks like this anyday over 30fps with some slowdown on a more powerful system.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2006, 05:26:36 PM »
I'm not impressed by the graphics... what I am impressed by are the controls, which look really nice and the idea of selecting unit commands like a mouse with the Wii controller sounds great.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2006, 07:17:36 PM »
I have to admit the graphics wowed me.  I thought the atmosphere and the effects in the game were great.  Yeah the game isn't ultra-realistic, but I wanted to play it more than any COD game.

However, the controls themselves sold me on the game.  Watching how easy it was to switch units, and move around in a 3rd person environment and fight looked effortless, and that is amazing to me.  I immediately wanted to play and try it out.  

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2006, 07:59:56 PM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
I have to admit the graphics wowed me.  I thought the atmosphere and the effects in the game were great.  Yeah the game isn't ultra-realistic, but I wanted to play it more than any COD game.

However, the controls themselves sold me on the game.  Watching how easy it was to switch units, and move around in a 3rd person environment and fight looked effortless, and that is amazing to me.  I immediately wanted to play and try it out.

Definately, like I said what is most impressive is that appears the game was made on Gamecube development kits, should be interesting to see how things look when it is done. A game like that would lose so much if you pushed towards realism, so I believe when it is all done it will look quite amazing in its "cartoonish" design. I did forget to mention the controls, they were indeed responsive, much more so than the first. After watching the second video I think this game will have to go on my top 5 most wanted games list!

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2006, 06:26:00 AM »
It will be one of the first second wave Wii games I buy.  Hopefully Mario Galaxy is also second wave and I will be happy.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2006, 08:11:51 AM »
Frankly if the graphics get much better then they would have to get more realistic.  Which would be a big no no for that series.  They have a good fun art style that really lends itself to the feel of the original art style of its father series, Advance Wars.  I wouldn't want it to be more realistic even if its just the backgrounds because the soldiers would look out of place.  I already think they went a little overboard on the stars.  

That was a Cube devkit the only thing I can think of is that the size of the disc really did hurt them more then they implied to everyone.

Looks good.  I'm glad they kept the lock-on.  
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2006, 08:54:11 AM »
After watching those videos, I suddenly got the feeling that third person action-shooters may belong on the Wii. Just free-aim or change targets with the Wiimote, while you move around with the nunchuck! Awesome!

This is the first time I'ev ever seen something solid that has inspired me about how the Wii can pump new blood into traditional game genres.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2006, 11:19:12 AM »
"I wouldn't want it to be more realistic even if its just the backgrounds because the soldiers would look out of place"

The foliage in the videos looked sufficiently cartoony.  If they can stick to their texturing style without falling into the bump-mapped FPS trap, I'm happy.  The game visually looks great at this stage, especially with the extra objects littered along the paths.  As long as they continue to EMBRACE THEIR ART STYLE in all areas, the looks will only get better.

"That was a Cube devkit the only thing I can think of is that the size of the disc really did hurt them more then they implied to everyone."

The first game had lots of variation in level design.  The only obvious limitations were texture memory, polygon output, and AI CPU resources.  The disc capacity has NOTHING to do with that.

I have seen the footage where the Remote is used as an onscreen pointer to select the units at bottom-roster.  I'm indifferent on its usefulness.

I noticed the Dpad is used for digital selection of the units.  That's an improvement over the C-stick since you won't be sliding and overshooting your unit icons.

I haven't seen footage on using the Remote as a pointer in a map or overhead view for squad controls.  I want to see how it works.

I want to know if they'll improve the tiny indicators on their GUI.  I'd like the indivisual soldier icons to be bigger/clearer.  I want to see some kind of labeling system to display when I split up an individual unit, so i can keep track of their position on the field.  Like, if i tell 2 tanks to sit at 2 different corners of a fortress, they should show up as "A Tank" and "B Tank", on the field and in the unit roster.  The original icons were a little small and sometimes i would confuse "holding" with "idle" (holding = waiting for your command; idle = a specific soldier was told to do a specific job and finished it, so he's waiting to be manually returned to his parent unit).

Exciting stuff.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline WalkingTheCow

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2006, 12:47:45 PM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
Frankly if the graphics get much better then they would have to get more realistic. Which would be a big no no for that series.  They have a good fun art style that really lends itself to the feel of the original art style of its father series, Advance Wars.  I wouldn't want it to be more realistic even if its just the backgrounds because the soldiers would look out of place.  I already think they went a little overboard on the stars.  

That was a Cube devkit the only thing I can think of is that the size of the disc really did hurt them more then they implied to everyone.

??? What? No, the graphics could be a great deal better and keep the style intact. What about just rounding out edges (yeah, yeah, I'm talking about polygon count), sharper textures, particle effects, advanced lighting effects ect ect. . . Don't get me wrong, I think the game looks good as it is but I just couldn't let that comment stand untouched.

Look at something like Viva Pinata to see how a game can be cartoony and stylistic but still be very technically impressive.

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2006, 04:26:52 PM »
"There are two reasons I haven't bought Battalion Wars. The first is the fact that for whatever reason, it's still fifty friggin' dollars. "

Drop by Best Buy... they've got it marked down to $29.99.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2006, 07:38:41 PM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
Frankly if the graphics get much better then they would have to get more realistic.  Which would be a big no no for that series.  They have a good fun art style that really lends itself to the feel of the original art style of its father series, Advance Wars.  I wouldn't want it to be more realistic even if its just the backgrounds because the soldiers would look out of place.  I already think they went a little overboard on the stars.  

Finally someone actually gets it.  Too often it is all about pushing too much graphical detail, too much stuff onscreen and effects.  I saw the BWii videos and I was blown away.  I felt the force of explosions in their game world.  I loved the style of the guys, and there felt like alot of action onscreen at the same time.  And the game had you focused on alot of different elements at the same time.  The graphics are simple by design.  The more complex you make them the more there is to process, and the more your attention is placed on the visuals instead of just the game.

I think people need to realize the importance of art design, and direction as being more important than anything else.  To say this game is ugly is foolish.  It is quite beautiful.  Too many people just want games to look like Xbox 360 and PS3 games, which look boring to me personally.  

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2006, 07:57:54 PM »
I lack a graphics whore's ability to notice things like volumetric fog or the type of ground textures a game has but ... I didn't see anything in the BWii videos graphics technology-wise that seemed convincingly impressive or outstanding.

Art Style I get, I LURV the art style. And I'm gonna get the game (but not just for the art style!). But graphics (which I really don't care too much about as long as it gets the job done) and art are really totally different things.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2006, 09:18:59 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
I lack a graphics whore's ability to notice things like volumetric fog or the type of ground textures a game has but ... I didn't see anything in the BWii videos graphics technology-wise that seemed convincingly impressive or outstanding.

Art Style I get, I LURV the art style. And I'm gonna get the game (but not just for the art style!). But graphics (which I really don't care too much about as long as it gets the job done) and art are really totally different things.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

I found the graphics impressive because they looked decent and it ran at a silky smooth framerate. I've become so disugusted with companies focusing on graphical details over framerate (60 fps is almost a must now days).

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2006, 10:32:48 PM »
that batallion wars 2 logo kiuks ass BWii
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2006, 09:15:16 AM »
I'm currently playing Battalion Wars and it's a lot of fun, though fairly challenging too.  The aspect of online co-op and multiplayer(which is something BW needed) added to the mix is more than enough reason for me to shell out 50 bucks for the title.  Does anyone know if BWii is a launch title?  
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2006, 09:26:35 AM »
I doubt it, considering the game is still fairly early in development...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2006, 10:39:04 AM »
With any luck whatsoever, with hopes that the6y've started early enough, with hopes that the Wii development process is everything they say it is, and with hopes of Wii Online player sooner rather than later...

please please PLEASE let this come out first half of 2007!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Polyethylene

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2006, 10:59:41 AM »
Online or burn!
Hail to the thief

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2006, 07:45:28 AM »
"Frankly if the graphics get much better then they would have to get more realistic"

Wake up and smell the WIND WAKER, foo'.

~~~~~

Here's how Battalion Wars plays when you're "experienced" with the squad controls.  I basically fumble and self-correct with the C-stick at high speeds, and I expect Wii controls to be much smoother and more definitive than this.  The levels ARE challenging, and getting good rankings means mowing the enemy like grass before they mow you.  HARDCORE IT ALL THE WAY.  HOOOO-RAH!

BE THE A-TEAM, OR BE THE ASS-TEAM. SUCKAS.

vid 1
vid 2  
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2006, 11:38:46 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
With any luck whatsoever, with hopes that the6y've started early enough, with hopes that the Wii development process is everything they say it is, and with hopes of Wii Online player sooner rather than later...

please please PLEASE let this come out first half of 2007!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

ONM from the UK has fulfilled my wish. I shan't badmouth this mag like everyone else has as a show of my thanks.

BWii is set for release in the first half of 2007.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com