Author Topic: Analysts Suck  (Read 6716 times)

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
Analysts Suck
« on: August 17, 2006, 04:22:32 AM »
"Boston-based research firm Yankee Group believes that the PLAYSTATION 3 will capture 44 percent of North American console sales by 2011. Following close behind will be the Xbox 360, grabbing 40 percent of the market. And dead last? The Wii at a very sad 16 percent."

I would love to know how these analysts come up with their predictions. Honestly have they not followed the whole Wii thing at all? The general attitude towards Nintendo has dramatically shifted and they are very strongly positioned for one of the best launches in video game history.

Microsoft has already proven that their system is solid and well done, and they have integrated Xbox Live so well into the 360 experience that most 360 users can't live without it.

And what has Sony proven? Nothing. All they have shown is that they are imitators, and douchebags(for using the PS3 to push Blu-Ray).

Let's not call the shots before all the players are on the field, speculating at this point in time is plain useless.  
Check out PixlBit!

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Analysts Suck
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 04:45:17 AM »
Dude, just ignore these people. Nintendo proved 'em wrong with the DS, and they have a good shot at proving them wrong with the Wii. It's very possible that these same people have been 'bout off anyways.
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Analysts Suck
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 04:55:22 AM »
Last I remember other analysts have recently revised their predictions to put the Wii in first place.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 05:24:17 AM »
This analyst's guess is as good as ours!  Which is to say nobody has an f'n clue.  I could actually see a scenario similar to this, but I think Wii would have more than 16%, maybe something like 40/36/24.  I figure Wii is going to gain more ground than that (I believe GameCube is at less than 16%, but I'm not sure).  I'm also becoming pretty doubtful of Sony grabbing more than Microsoft, but it could happen if the PS3 lineup gets sorted out by Christmas 2007.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 06:02:10 AM »
That article on Gamespot has gotten almost 700 comments. I'm surprised how many people are defending the Wii. I always considered the fanbase over there pro Sony and MS.

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 06:36:49 AM »
Apparently this analyst group has had a very very bad track record.  They've "guestimated" many things wrong and lost investors and such.
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline trip1eX

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 06:37:00 AM »
Analysts don't know what to make of the Wii and thus you'll see Wii sales predictions varying wildly.  I think it's safe to say that the Wii does better than the Gamecube with lotst of upside potential.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 07:40:53 AM »
bustin: There's quite a few things converting internet users to the Wii even if they previously disliked Nintendo.  

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 07:42:08 AM »
Paid by Sony.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 07:43:17 AM »
Made of fail and internet.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 08:27:11 AM »
If we removed baseless opinion from the internets then all we'd have left is p0rn.

They're considering industry history as well, which doesn't favor Nintendo at all in terms of marketshare. Though I think they're off the ball this time.

The only company losing marketshare next gen will be Sony. If Nintendo and MS at their worst can grab 15-20% each, they can certainly do better with better platforms, better prices, and a better time-to-market advantage.

That's my detailed and professional analysis and I won't even charge you $800 per report.
"wow."

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 09:42:41 AM »
What are they analyzing? The future? Don't they need, you know, DATA in order to analyze something?
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2006, 09:47:24 AM »
they prably looked up NPD sales figures on Gamefaqs from LAST YEAR
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline pirateluigi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2006, 12:25:45 PM »

Originally posted by: BigJim
If we removed baseless opinion from the internets then all we'd have left is p0rn.

That's the internet I want!

On a more serious side, I've seen analysts saying things that put any and all 3 on top, but it makes sense, since analysts are paid to guess anyway.

SMASH Dream Line-up:
Jill, C. Olimar, Diddy Kong (check!).  Anything and everything else is just gravy.  

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2006, 02:04:37 PM »
Though thats really out of tune with the general feel right now and the news coming out of all the companies.  Especially Sony.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2006, 08:05:38 PM »
They only made this prediction so people would talk about them.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2006, 09:31:41 PM »

Originally posted by: Mario
They only made this prediction so people would talk about them.

I wouldn't be surprised, but even if they were serious we have to realize that individuals are still making these "predictions" and in turn there is much room for error. That is why I usually roll my eyes when any "expert" is used as proof of something, half the time they know less than the common person!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2006, 11:51:05 PM »
Especially when it's what they are paid to do...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2006, 12:30:10 AM »
Over at Slashdot people say this agency is pretty much run by MS.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2006, 12:41:47 AM »
I wish I got paid for this sort of thing.

"By 2009, Dreamcast will relaunch and capture 0% of the Sunday market"

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2006, 01:35:02 PM »
Today I think I like Burger King more than Wendy's.

This just in!  Burger King will capture 80% of the fast food market by 2008!
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2006, 01:59:49 PM »
Wendy's is going to have to go third party.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2006, 03:02:25 PM »
LOL Gamespot are actually pretending this crappy firm is credible??

GameSpot: Why do you think the Yankee Group report has the PS3 coming out on top?

Kaz Hirai: Different people have different opinions, and at this point in time they're all forecasts. And people make forecasts based on the information they have at hand--their experience with what the companies in this space have done in the past, et cetera. And I think that as far as the Yankee Group goes, they've looked at the information they had at hand. It's generally a very positive report, but you can tell they've done a lot of their homework because there are some things that we need to work on. We've had those ups and downs as far as manufacturing is concerned on the console, for example, and that's being properly addressed. So I think they looked at all the information they have at hand--good, bad, or indifferent--and came to this conclusion. And I obviously think that they did a great job on this report.

HAHAHAHAHA

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2006, 04:46:44 PM »

Originally posted by: Mario

HAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHA