Author Topic: The IGN great get my Clicks peice  (Read 13718 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE:The IGN great get my Clicks peice
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2006, 03:04:37 PM »
Good things we have those value priced consoles from Microsoft and Sony. Sure getting our money's worth there.

OH WAIT. FAIL.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: The IGN great get my Clicks peice
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2006, 03:18:54 PM »
Yeah. Five hundred and ninety nine US dollars for this crap?

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/79/metalgearsolid420050915072838293zb3.jpg

What a joke. I don't know why I even brought it up. $230 for a current-gen conslole with "fun injection" technology a much better deal.

Edit: Removed pic that's too HD for Nintendo.  
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2006, 03:29:17 PM »
I wish Hideo Kojima all luck as he strives to become the next Akira Kurosawa. And he'll need it, since in my opinion he's somewhat in the wrong medium.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2006, 03:53:23 PM »
Wow, that pic is within the size limitations.

Timeless snake >>> Old and Suicidal Snake

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2006, 06:26:36 PM »
Where does all this overclocked gamecube stuff come from?  They made new chips based on the same technology.  I think everyone is blowing this way overboard because the newest system doesn't have the best graphics like it has always been before.  I have been impressed with things I saw at e3.  I still don't see that big of a jump between the xboxes.  Since that jump was already small and the Wii's is a bit smaller people are immediately freaking out and screaming "not next gen" even though it very much is.

Nintendo also told their stockholders not to expect a profit during the launch quarter.  They are not overcharging you for the console and trying to rip you off or they would be expecting a profit at this time.  That is a good price.  

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2006, 08:06:04 PM »

Originally posted by: ruby_onix

(MGS4 Image)

What a joke. I don't know why I even brought it up. $230 for a current-gen conslole with "fun injection" technology a much better deal.
pretty much what I think.... without sarcasm tags
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2006, 08:39:14 PM »

It's also too HD for my television.  And for like 90% of the world's televisions.  It's also too HD for the rules.  Keep trolling about like you are, and you will find yourself too HD for this forum.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2006, 09:19:07 PM »

Whoa gotta love that blast from the past wall texture. N64 expansion pak's still bangin' away!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2006, 07:34:00 AM »
$230 is a great price.  If anybody think there charging to much let me put it this way.  They could charge $230 now and $150 later or they could charge $199 now and $199 later...  Which would you want?

New technology cost money even if you are just updating older technology.  By the logic that people are using the DS is horribly over priced.  Don't get me started on PDA's I mean I should be able to buy them for what... 50 bucks or so.  I mean the Arm processor has been around for a while and all that technology too plus there small.  What about 32 bit processors alone?  Why am I paying over $100 for some and much much more on there 64 bit cousins for an architecture that I personally beleive should have been left to die like it was suppose to a long time ago?  Man... Those UMPC are really over priced.  All those features are already in the overpriced laptop and plus the UMPC is smaller so it takes less materials to build.

Get over it.  Engineering a small low power unit alone cost a lot.  There is no doubt in my mind that the updated chips in the Wii are totally different beasts under the hood.  They take less power from all reports then there predeccessors and run faster.  That takes more work then just upping the clock.  Not to mention how small the Wii is and that Nintendo states it will be near silent.  Thats impressive.  Engineering something that small that can stay cool is no easy feet.  Especially unlike a computer the average load on the Console will be higher then the PC because it will only have some of the heavier load application running on it, games.  Not having HD and super twin Turbo Graphic pipeline of doom or something like that was probably more because Nintendo couldn't get the size, price, or reliability they wanted on those components.  Lets say you did manage to squeeze the power of the PS3 graphics capability into the size of the Wii.  The cooling unit would cost an arm and a leg.  Yeah that $230 would probably be cooling only.  It's just not that realistic.

So in the end.  I personally believe that we are getting one great bargain here.  Everyone will admit that the Cube wasn't pushed to its limits like all of its predeccessorss.  Here we are paying $129.99 for a DSLite and considering it a good price for not even that updated of a handheld but complain about paying $229 for a brand new, more powerfull, smaller, energy efficient, prettier system when that's only $30 more then the Cube cost at launch.  While if we were to look at the Handheld equivalence the GBA* was $99 at launch while the DS** was $149.99 at launch.  A fifty dollar difference and like the Wii the DS was ushering in a new way of gaming while not using cutting edge technology and still having backwards compatibility with it's direct predeccessor.  So actually Nintendo is giving us a $20 dollar price break.  Well isn't that nice.

We all love cheap technology.  Especially new cheap technology.  I think the price that Nintendo has set even if it ends up being $250 is fair, if not low, for what we are getting even if it only comes with a WiiPointer and Analog attachment.

*:In case you didn't figure it out the GBA = the GCN
**:Just to make sure everyone was on the same page the DS = the Wii
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2006, 08:11:06 AM »
Define "limits".

I say RE4, Metroid Prime 2, Twilight Princess, and F-Zero GX pushed the Cube to its limits in their own way.

MP2 and F-Zero sacrificed advanced texturing and other bumpy maps for high framerates and quick loading (while MP2 still pulled off GREAT texture distortion effects).

RE4 sacrificed the high framerate in favor of object detail and exclusive special effects (which still having a solid framerate)

Twilight Princess might be the one getting the most out of the Cube, since it's the last intense GCN project.  It's got a good balance of object detail and stage size, and we expect it to have decent load times and other special effects.  Something will be lacking when you try to incorporate all the available features on the console, and TP-GC, like RE4, was decided to run at 30fps instead of 60fps to free resources for the remaining features.

StarFukd Adventures tried to do an assload of effects in addition to high object detail at 60fps.  The result is it fails at framerate consistency (not to mention other things) which is unnacceptable.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2006, 08:38:10 AM »
Oh for the love of Mike... StarFox Blashpemy... I mean Adventures had all these pretty effects and then Static grass... I couldn't get over the static grass.  You sited some good examples, even though F-Zero will randomly restart my Cube and MP2 will go funky sometimes to.  Now I'll counter with Smash Brothers Melee.  Very beautiful(sp?) game that was first gen.  There wasn't the uber notable deference between a first gen game and a last gen game on average. (Melee really wrecked that.)  Konami when the made Karoake(sp?) Revolution for the Cube were surprised that they could actually pull of more and better animations on the Cube then the other systems.  Though they had to compress the songs more because of disc size.  That game was around the last gen of third party games.

I guess my point on that one was that there is a notable difference between an early PS2 game and a later PS2 game.  People where pushing its technological boundaries all the time.  Even the XBox got some of that pushing from third parties.  The Cube on the other hand was always an after thought, it seemed, so, no one ever learned its every naunce well enough to really push its technology.  Remember this thread.   That looks pretty darn good.  Good enough that some would and did think it was from a Next Gen system.  That was the Resident Evil Remake...   You can see the system had a lot of potential and Nintendo series tends to go for a more cartoony style that doesn't push the limit of technology.  (Though WW looks nice...)  On the whole I think the Cube wasn't exploited by entrepeneuring Third Parties like previous and other systems.  (RE4 is the exception)  I keep trying to wrap this up and it gets longer so I'm just going to stop here.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2006, 09:11:59 AM »
I'll stop at these points:

1.  Your Cube is borked.

2.  Melee and fighting games in general, including the latest Fight Night on 360, are NOT good examples for referencing system power.  Here's why:  you've got a very limited, well-defined number of main on-screen characters, limited camera activity, limited view of the stage, limited stage interaction, and other misc. limitations on non-player AI and program physics -- unlike what you find in action-adventure games.  As a result, it's easier for the console to toss graphics resources around, since there's not much in the way of platforming to a variety of surfaces, object collisions, NPCs, enemies and draw distance to worry about.  There's only so many "Legos" to use, and AI and Fizziks do count as Lego pieces in addition to the obvious polygons and textures and effects.  Haven't you asked yourself why fighting games seem to consistently pack more fine details than action-adventures?

If the graphics mainly look good when there's less "game" to play, then you're getting closer to a machine that only seems to shine during cutscenes OR fighting games (aka first-gen ps2), which is not what we want in general.  Graphics should look *great* in a variety of demanding gameplay scenarios.

3.  Games like Rogue Leader, Pikmin and Metroid Prime do a better job of defining Cube's first generation -- there's a lot more going on than just 2-4 characters fighting in the same hole or 2D-theater-stage.  

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2006, 09:18:38 AM »
Shoot.  Then use Metriod Prime.  I don't really care what the example is.  MP be a better Example anyway.  Personally I prefer the look of the MP over MP2 anyways.

Anyway the point of the original post was that even $250 traditional launch setup I would consider a reasonable price when compared to other technologies in the area, pricing strategy with the DS, and the form factor.  It was suppose to be a satire on how everyones wants the console to be uber cheap because its suppose to be "updated" technology only.

1. Your Cube is borked.

Yep it is but I can't afford to get a new one with the Wii on the way.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2006, 09:18:54 AM »
Professional 666:  That is true.  But I will say that Smash Brothers is a better indictator than most fighting games, because there is plenty of random actions with Items, interactive enviroments, environmental hazards, and 4 players on the screen.  

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2006, 09:27:09 AM »
Don't forget the framerate niether....

just like this thread...
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2006, 09:28:51 AM »

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2006, 09:35:51 AM »
Melee's framerate drops at times when 4 human players participate.

=D

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2006, 09:56:54 AM »
I've never once encountered a drop in framerate (and I play 4 players all the damn time).
"Hey....

Qoute of the Summer

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2006, 10:28:26 AM »
Really? I notice it all the time on the fountain stage.  Not bad enough to ruin the game, but noticeable anyway.  Oh darn, I wasn't going to post in this thread...
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2006, 10:30:35 AM »
Couchmonkey you don't like me ... I hope your balloons pop
(On a side note I think we should make Tingle on honory member of Springfield for Mafia. )

I also experience some lag in Melee.  

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2006, 10:33:47 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
Melee's framerate drops at times when 4 human players participate.

=D

Yep, although it has a lot to do with the level you pick and the items as well. Turning the item frequency to max with all Pokéballs is a good way to see the framerate dip, for example.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2006, 10:47:28 AM »
Oh....

I rarely play with items...and when I do, it's set to  medium or low (with no hammers, or stars, or hearts and crap).

Also, I play on Final Destination all the time (simply because there's no where to run).
"Hey....

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2006, 03:54:54 PM »
I almost always play 5-6 man stock, completely random stages, with either all items on or all items off.

But then again, I suck at Smash Bros. so I guess that renders my personal preferences completely irrelevant. /sad

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2006, 06:07:32 PM »

Hahahaha...ha...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2006, 07:28:24 PM »
Where is that screen from?
"Hey....

Qoute of the Summer