Author Topic: The IGN great get my Clicks peice  (Read 13719 times)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:The IGN great get my Clicks peice
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2006, 08:55:00 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric I'll leave you guys with those and I'm off to take a final that has the fate of my graduation hanging in the balance.

Good luck!

And last I heard, they won't be packing in a classic controller because of the logic that not everyone will have broadband and as such not everyone will be downloading VC games which would warrant the controller.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2006, 10:22:31 AM »
I still say this, you need to package the system with

Wii Console
1 Controller with nunchuck attachment
1 Classic controller

That is all you need, you guys are giving out free stuff that Nintendo wants to make money off of.  You will need the controller and nunchuck obviously, but the classic controller is VITAL to 3rd party games that choose NOT to use the wiimote.   I know if I was a developer I would be pissed.

Dev1:  Hmmm I really want to make a game that doesnt use the wiimote.
Nintendo: Oh my dear friend we have created this wonderful controller for you!
Dev1:  Thanks Nintendo you really are my Bestest FRIEND EVOR!!!!!11111
Nintendo: ::cough cough ummm people will have to buy the damn controller to play your game cough cough:: /backstab

I think it is core to the system.  How can you advertise a game that you want people to play at an average price of 50 bucks and force them to buy a controller for extra money (approx 25 bucks).  Plus I really think SSBB will be using the classic controller and NOT the Gamecube remote.  It makes WAY more sense for them to be using a current gen controller then a last gen one.  Seriously if Nintendo uses a Gamecube remote for their own game, where does that leave the dev feeling about their "classic" controller.

As far as issues with people complaining about 2 wii motes for drum games and what not.  That will be a niche market as I see it and I think this will happen.

Konami annoucnes Wii beatmania yada yada yada. . . .

Game ships for 60 bucks and comes with a wii mote OR an attachment of a drum stick.  Seriously thinking tho if you needed a second wiimote for a drum game couldnt the nunchuck just act like one.... It has a gyro in it anyhow. . . .

Anywhoo thats my take

Oh and by the way 230 makes PLETY of sense.  The DS is 130 and looking at the difference of the DS and Wii I think its fair to say 100 dollars is definitely worth the difference in technology.  Although now thinking about it the GBA SP sold for a 79.99 price and the Gamecube sold for 99.99 but it was also a dying system. . .

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE: The IGN great get my Clicks peice
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2006, 10:33:54 AM »
Ok, as long as the classic controller is bundled, I'm happy.

I think a Wii with extras bundled in at $230 is more likely than a bare bones at $199.

If you look back at the DS launch it came pretty loaded: Pictochat, Wrist strap with thumb numb, Extra stylus, and the Metroid Prime First Hunt Demo.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2006, 10:38:29 AM »
I don't buy into the idea that you need the classic controller for new games. The Wiimote-Nunchuck set-up is close enough in terms of functionality that there's no need to completely recreate a legacy set-up and pack that in.

I believe that the classic controller will almost exclusively be used for Virtual Console games, even though some new Wii games may give you the option of using it. As such, it makes no sense to pack a Wii Classic with every console, especially seeing as how only a simple minority of Wii buyers will utilize the virtual console online connection.

I would much rather see a 2-Wiimote set-up out-of-the box so that:
1. developers have the freedom to two-wiimote games (ala drum demo, or a gun+flashlight set-up)
2. the Wii is multiplayer right out of the box, period, party, pwn.

Wii sports may or may not be packed-in... more likely not, but I'd hope for a Wii sports to sell at $30, a price point much more friendly to casual and non-gamers.

Edit: OR, it may be likely that Nintendo actually decides to not pack-in stuff with the Wii and instead make some money off of accessory sales (because we ALL know we'd buy the accessories anyways if Nintendo didn't pack it in), and the rumored $229 price point is for a bare bones version of the system... (maybe with a Wii Tennis demo pre-loaded?)

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2006, 10:50:47 AM »
On the whole classic controller thing, I think it would be nice if Nintendo included it, but looking at the third-party reasoning that darkheart gave...yeah, it would be way nicer for the third party that wants to do that, but so far, none of them do.  SSBB is the only announced game that will use the traditional controller, and it's first-party.

I guess it's possible that this is already affecting third-party decisions, maybe Metal Slug was converted to a Wii-style of control because the traditional controller isn't included.  But I'm tempted to argue that it has more to do with developers really wanting to take advantage of the new controller.

Anyway, I hope Nintendo is bundling something with the system if it truly debuts at $230, but I'd buy it even if it just comes with one controller.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2006, 11:22:18 AM »

2 wiimote with nunchuka: Developers wouldn't be hesitant to develop 2 wiimote games, like the drum demo.

1. developers have the freedom to two-wiimote games (ala drum demo...)
Actually, the drum demo was done only with the remote and the analogue attachment - I think instead of using the pointer function to determine the depth of the stick, you had to press the trigger button in order to reach the second row of drums. But there may still be a game that actually uses that functionalty for drums.  

I, personally, feel that the classic controller should be included even though, as couchmonkey said, most third parties seem fine with it not being there. Also, SSBB could be easily done on the remote+attachment; it may be a bit uncomfortable, but it could be done..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2006, 03:27:03 PM »
I can see why from a developers point of view Nintendo may want to include one classic controller.

However, I think that could appear confusing to the casual market.  Wait.  I have the Wiipointer, and analog attachment, AND classic controller.  When do I use which?  I would not be confused, but to the nongamer that would actual appear more complicated than one controller with a crazy amount of buttons.

Personally, all I really want is two WiiPointers and Analog attachment, so that 2-player games are working from start.  

You know a demo of WiiSports could be included in the game.  Perhaps something that has 2 of the sports included in WiiSports, or perhaps smaller demos of many of the sports.

That way you can immediately play with your Wii system without buying a game, but Nintendo can still make money off selling a full version of Wii Sports.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2006, 04:12:46 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold

2 wiimote with nunchuka: Developers wouldn't be hesitant to develop 2 wiimote games, like the drum demo.

1. developers have the freedom to two-wiimote games (ala drum demo...)
Actually, the drum demo was done only with the remote and the analogue attachment - I think instead of using the pointer function to determine the depth of the stick, you had to press the trigger button in order to reach the second row of drums. But there may still be a game that actually uses that functionalty for drums.  

I, personally, feel that the classic controller should be included even though, as couchmonkey said, most third parties seem fine with it not being there. Also, SSBB could be easily done on the remote+attachment; it may be a bit uncomfortable, but it could be done..

Well, actually the Drum Demo used two Wiimotes, but it could have been done in a much similar manner with a wiimote with nunchuck attachment. And you're right, they merely used different buttons that you hold down to determine which drum you hit.

But still, for my same reasons above, I'd much prefer a second Wiimote packed in than a Classic controller packed in.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2006, 11:48:45 PM »
Since nobody mentioned it, the bits removed from the IGN story were the specifics about the Broadway chip, the underclocked Wee Wii (or whatever you want to call it) handheld, and the bumped production number.

And I really don't think I need to tell anyone what I think of the idea of paying $230 for what yet another article suggests is merely an overclocked GameCube (with maybe some extras).
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2006, 02:22:24 AM »
Yeah but the original Xbox doesn't cost $230, what are you on about why would you even think of paying $230 for an Xbox they're like $50 now wow you're gonna get raped. Who needs a Wii when it's just a GameCube, can't wait for Excite Truck on GC later this year phew.  

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2006, 04:15:40 AM »
Hahah ruby... I hope you don't buy a Wii....  "with maybe some extras"   Pff, thanks for the laugh.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2006, 04:42:00 AM »
A little off topic. But when the 360 came out the original XBox actually had a price increase back to close to it's original price.  Tough love from MS it seems.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2006, 04:56:48 AM »
I don't see what the big problem is. $229 isn't a bad price. It's exactly a hundred dollars more than a DS:Lite. And in terms of value, I think the Wii should cost a hundred dollars more.

It's funny though....If you add the prices together you get $360!
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2006, 05:07:43 AM »
A dollar for every degree of gaming that is shifted by the owning of those two consoles.  (Lets face it the DS is more a console then a handheld.  To get what they wanted it just happen to be portable.  Some of those games be to disturbing to play in public.)
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2006, 07:01:16 AM »
How is the DS more a console than a handheld?
"Hey....

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2006, 07:54:20 AM »
All of the concepts in the DS could not of made a good console (Dual Screens alone).  Think about trying to play games that exploit all of it or mayber just the microphone in public, anything from the "Feel the Magic" series.  The games themselve don't overly lend themselves to take on the go play naturally.  They have been designed to take that in consideration though.  To get everything that Nintendo wanted out of the DS it needed the handheld form factor but to me it has always feeled more like a conosle.

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2006, 08:05:28 AM »
Wait......what?

That whole paragraph was very confusing (especially the first sentence).
"Hey....

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2006, 08:20:35 AM »
Hmm... Its just hard to explain.  The dual screens works because of their proximity.  The microphone works because of the small size of the screens you have to hold the system somewhat close.  The touchscreen works because of the small size.  If I were to expand these to a full console then what makes them work in the first place becomes broken and disjoint.  It just to me a lot of the games do not feel like take and play games.  I used Feel the Magic because it is an extreme example of this but most games with the stylus are sort of hard to play when in a moving vehicle of some sort or don't lend themselves well to sudden stops and starts.  As I said it's my opinion that it feels more like a console then a handheld.

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2006, 08:48:51 AM »
Ok I understand now.

And I disagree. The only game where I've honestly had to sit down and chill (as if playing a console), is Trauma Center. That required concentration and was best played in a place that wasn't outside.

Other than that, the DS:Lite is the most portable of portable handhelds (especially because of it's bright display). I play it while waitng in line for food (inside and drive-thru), while chillen at a park, or while waiting for the elevator. It really doesn't matter where I am. The DS: Lite will hold its own. That to me, is the true definition of a handheld.
"Hey....

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2006, 11:24:38 AM »
It should also be noted that the DS's hibernate feature is what truly makes it so portable: no matter what you're doing, you can "save" your progress by simply closing the lid and it'll stay like that for days on the same battery charge.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2006, 11:35:44 AM »
The DS is truly portable for most games.  But some of the ones that use the touch screen exclusively are not so great.  Requiem mentioned Trauma Center, and I completely agree with that.  Also Feel the magic, I tried to play that on a school bus one time, and I would screw up every time we hit a bump, it was difficult, but it was not impossible until the game where you have to blow into the mic, and the game confused the sound of the bus with blowing into the mic.
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2006, 12:39:35 PM »
I wish the Sleep would kick on when you closed the DS when your playing GBA games.  I never saw why it couldn't since GBA has a sleep mode as well.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2006, 12:42:54 PM »
It can't because when you're playing a GBA game, it uses the exact GBA hardware that's found in the GBA/GBA SP.  Since the SP doesn't enter sleep mode when the lid is closed (and the original GBA doesn't have a lid), the DS can't enter sleep mode (by closing the lid) when you're in GBA mode.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2006, 12:52:16 PM »
bah... They always use L+R+Select to enter sleep mode I don't see why it couldn't mimick that.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2006, 02:49:03 PM »

Originally posted by: Pale
Hahah ruby... I hope you don't buy a Wii....  "with maybe some extras"   Pff, thanks for the laugh.

Actually, I was referring to the "It's really a $150 system but Nintendo's gonna give us a spare Wiimote/Nunchuck/Classic Controller/Wiisports/free VC downloads" that half the Nintendo fanboys on the interent are already doing to try and excuse the price.

But you can keep on thinking that I'm the only one out there who has a problem with some of Nintendo's recent decisions. I know this forum needs more stereotype characters.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi