Author Topic: POLL: When's the Wii launch date?  (Read 42785 times)

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE: When's the Wii launch date?
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2006, 09:35:55 PM »
Launching next to PS3 wont hurt Wii, I think that will sell out regardless, but I think the main thing it can do is take away PS3 sales. I guess launching earlier would be the most effective way to do that. The ideal situation would be launch earlier enough that they can have a huge second shipment arrive the day of the PS3 launch.

I'd still love for them to both launch on the same day though just for the entertainment value. Fanboys will be arrested at midnight.

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
RE:When's the Wii launch date?
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2006, 09:45:18 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
It'll still do alright, it's just that every additional day that the Wii spends out before the PS3 is one more day for hype to build and for the news of its greatness to reach would be PS3 buyers who aren't in the loop about the Wii.

The Wii will no doubt be a very word of mouth driven system, just like the DS is now. Launching that close to the PS3 hurts its chances of smothering PS3 sales by not letting the word of mouth have enough time to spread.

No no, you have it backwards.  The reason why Nintendo would like to get the Wii out as soon as possible (and before the PS3) is so the mainstream coverage of the Wii launch isn't smothered by the impending doom of mainstream coverage that is the PS3 launch.  If the PS3 and Wii launched on top of each other, all the mainstream media outlets (local TV news, newspapers, CNN, etc.) would probably lead with PlayStation 3 and then go "and oh by the way" with the Wii.

I believe Microsoft got loads of press when they first launched the Xbox--more press than the GameCube--even though it came out three days after the GC. If the common news is talking more about the PS3 than the Wii, that would give the impression to the commoner that the PS3 is more important...Nintendo would like to avoid that.  The sooner it launches before the PS3 launch, the better...but not too soon that there aren't enough consoles to satisfy the hardcore launch demand on day one and the weeks following.

Wii hype won't prevent the PS3 from selling out, and PS3 hype won't prevent the Wii from selling out.  The two systems have different sets of early adopters, who will buy their console regardless of how the other looks.  The PS3 can prevent the Wii from getting free media coverage, however, which is really important given Nintendo's angle this time through it.  Nintendo is going to need all the exposure they can muster to explain what the hell it is they're up to.
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline BigJim

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2006, 11:52:52 PM »
I'm thinking first half of November. Exactly when, I dunno.

Since we're not going to hear about anything before September, an October launch would give stores a month or less to deal with POP materials, reservations, etc. If Nintendo is as interested in getting people to actually try this thing out as they claim, the more time the better. So October doesn't sound reasonable if their goal is hands-on and viral marketing.

Of course, the only people this matters to are early adopters and fanboys, IMO. That audience has shrunk. Nintendo's goal is to broaden the market, and those audiences will not be first-day buyers anyway. It'll take at least a year to see the real fruits of that effort.
"wow."

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2006, 03:08:43 AM »

Originally posted by: BigJim
I'm thinking first half of November. Exactly when, I dunno.

Since we're not going to hear about anything before September, an October launch would give stores a month or less to deal with POP materials, reservations, etc. If Nintendo is as interested in getting people to actually try this thing out as they claim, the more time the better. So October doesn't sound reasonable if their goal is hands-on and viral marketing.

Wait, Nintendo could easily alert stores about their percieved release date before they ever officially announce the release date. Also, they could send kiosks and such early enough so by the time they announce the release date, the stores already have them set up.

Plus, Gaming Stores are already taking pre-orders so I don't know what the big deal is.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2006, 05:09:44 AM »
My EBGames wont take preorders on  ps3 or wii until they have concrete details on their shipment numbers... kinda makes me happy to hear that, because im sure they'll get way more wii than ps3''s
I'll shut up now...

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2006, 05:36:50 AM »
Those gaming stores are in the minority, and many are outright questionable. They can't know what kind of stock they'll receive yet, much less guarantee that all pre-orders will be redeemable at launch.

They'll likely be alerted to the release date and price in advance, but by and large they're not going to do pre-orders or start promotions until Nintendo gives them their blessing... when the launch details are announced.

Thus I think they'll ship POPs in late Sept or early October and launch in November.  
"wow."

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2006, 05:58:19 AM »
So what if the company can't garuntee you a console at launch? It should be first to pre-order, first to get a console anyways....Those people who pre-ordered, but too late will most likely have the option to get back their down payment or wait for the second shipment.

At least, that's how I'd do it if I owned a store.

And I still don't get why koisks have to be shipped late Sept or early Oct. Why not ship them a couple days before you announce the release date? So at the time of the official announcement, stores can run a pre-order campaign while allowing people to play the console. Because, seriously, more people will pre-order a console if they can try it before they make their decision.

Wouldn't you agree?
"Hey....

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2006, 06:47:36 AM »
Yeah.  But Presidence says that no one gets a console until release.  Though I personally would have the material out to all the reps before the announcement and then get them to set it all up the week of the announcement.  The announcement would state the date, price, some guaranteed at launch titles, and then mention that in the next week your favorite game retailer will have kiosks and then in a months time they'll show up in varying places, maybe even sporting special demoes.  McDonald being a strong contender because:
A) They've partnered with Nintendo before  
B) Lot's of Non-gamers and Gamers alike enjoy McDonalds

Then I would throw one at the front of Sears because they've partenerred before.  Then I get them into Post Offices. ;P
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2006, 07:11:24 AM »
You should all just go to a 24 hour wal mart and line up at like 7pm.  Preordering is just inviting frustration.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2006, 10:16:55 AM »

Originally posted by: WindyMan No no, you have it backwards.  The reason why Nintendo would like to get the Wii out as soon as possible (and before the PS3) is so the mainstream coverage of the Wii launch isn't smothered by the impending doom of mainstream coverage that is the PS3 launch.

How is that "backwards" to my comparison?

The Wii is, without question, going to be a word of mouth phenomenon: people who ignore ads or don't watch TV will be convinced when they try the thing out at someone else's home. Every moment that it spends out is one more that it has a chance of reaching people before the PS3 does. The most powerful advertising will always be person to person and there are still likely millions out there who dismiss Nintendo and have no clue about the existence of the Wii. For this reason, Wii demo kiosks need to be up ASAP so people can try it for themselves without having a friend own it.

The fact that the PS3's media blitz will overshadow the Wii's if they launch too closely goes without saying.

You should all just go to a 24 hour wal mart and line up at like 7pm. Preordering is just inviting frustration.

Blech. Sounds like hell.

I've never had a problem with preordering. Every time I've done it, they've always had the goods ready and waiting when I arrived and they usually call me to let me know they're in beforehand.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2006, 11:19:20 AM »

Originally posted by: Requiem
So what if the company can't garuntee you a console at launch? It should be first to pre-order, first to get a console anyways....Those people who pre-ordered, but too late will most likely have the option to get back their down payment or wait for the second shipment.

The "so what" is that it defies the purpose of the pre-order. But that wasn't the point. By and large, most stores aren't going to do anything official with Wii until they get the blessing from Nintendo first (date/price/POPs/expected stock #).

And I still don't get why koisks have to be shipped late Sept or early Oct. Why not ship them a couple days before you announce the release date? So at the time of the official announcement, stores can run a pre-order campaign while allowing people to play the console.

I agree. That's almost what I said. Since TGS is in late Sept., sending out POPs a few days prior is negligible. My point is I don't think they're going to rush-release the system in October, less than 30 days after announcing the details and beginning the marketing.

I think they're going to give potential customers more time than that to try it out first. That is more important than beating Sony to market, IMO.

You should all just go to a 24 hour wal mart and line up at like 7pm.

Hell no, I am pre-ordering online and getting it shipped. Most likely EBgames.com.        
"wow."

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2006, 11:42:13 AM »
If I can, I'm preordering two Wiis.

If it's limit one per customer, I'll preorder one at each of the 3 Gamestops I live near. I'm confident that I'll either be able to find good homes for them or that they'll go for a bundle on eBay.

I was blessed in that a GS just recently moved in 5 minutes from my door.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Hocotate

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2006, 12:05:08 PM »
I think I'm going to pre-order an import Wii if I can get ahold of one. If it is not region free then I'll buy the US version on it's launch. Or if it launches in the US first for some reason like the DS, I'll get that first. Really I just want the Wii when it comes out no matter what the region.
Currently Playing: Twilight Princess(Wii), Castlevania: PoR(DS), Mario vs. Donkey Kong2(DS), Wii sports(Wii)
Anticipating: Mario Galaxy(Wii), Blue Dragon(360), Dragon Quest:Swords(Wii), Dragon Quest IX (DS)

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2006, 09:25:10 PM »

Yeah. But Presidence says that no one gets a console until release.
Precedence? I thought you were talking about George Bush for a second there..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2006, 09:37:16 PM »

I agree. That's almost what I said. Since TGS is in late Sept., sending out POPs a few days prior is negligible. My point is I don't think they're going to rush-release the system in October, less than 30 days after announcing the details and beginning the marketing.

Ahh, I see where you and I differ. You think Nintendo is going to announce the release date at TGS.

They won't be present at this years TGS though (in any form). Instead, they will most likely announce the dates/price/and such at Leipzig which is about a month away.

Now that you are in the loop, does October really seem so unrealistic?
"Hey....

Qoute of the Summer

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2006, 11:02:42 PM »
Ah, sorry for not making that distinction. Since Nintendo said they weren't going to reveal anything until Sept, I assumed it was going to be at or around TGS. I discounted Leipzig since it is in August. If their announcements DO come at Leipzig, then October is not as much of a stretch.  Has Leipzig announcements been confirmed or is that still rumor?  Every place I've read says September.

But I still think November. If for no better reason than being cynical. LOL. But I'd love to have it sooner.    
"wow."

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2006, 12:00:39 AM »
Didn't Nintendo say September or shortly before? I don't believe they said September will definately be the month, but it was hinted at that it would be around september.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2006, 01:14:14 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale
Nintendo doesn't care about the PS3.

It will launch November 19th.  I'm so sick of people discounting that date just because it's after the 600 dollar beast.

God, they never said before the PS3. They said in the same launch window.

/sigh. I still can't get over how many people discount the 19th solely because it's after the PS3 launch. I wish someone would take a bet from me.

Actually, back in Jan 2003, Iwata said that the only reason the PS2 beat the GameCube was because they had a one-year head start.

Then at E3 2003...

Iwata returned to conclude the event, and stated that Nintendo's next home console is already in development, categorically and adamantly stating that their competitors would not beat them to market this time. This came as a mix of excitement and sadness - as, in many ways, it was a rather blatant, official declaration that GameCube is dead, quite soon.

Then when MS revealed the Xbox360's date, he "clarified" that he was only referring to Sony, and not Microsoft. That the Revolution would beat the PS3 to the shelves.

Nintendo might not follow through on the claim, and they already let MS get a year head start, but Iwata said it.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2006, 04:26:27 AM »
1.  That was three years ago.
2.  I doubt that getting beat by two days counts as 'beating to market' in their mind.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2006, 04:40:34 AM »

Originally posted by: Requiem

Ahh, I see where you and I differ. You think Nintendo is going to announce the release date at TGS.

They won't be present at this years TGS though (in any form). Instead, they will most likely announce the dates/price/and such at Leipzig which is about a month away.

Now that you are in the loop, does October really seem so unrealistic?
From what I heard Nintendo has a speech planned at GC in Leipzig titled "Wii will prove our promise", I expect them to fully spill the beans duing and after this speech. I think it will be on Aug. 23rd or 24th

Originally posted by: VGrevolution
Didn't Nintendo say September or shortly before? I don't believe they said September will definately be the month, but it was hinted at that it would be around september.
I have heard that Nintendo had said something along the lines of "We will share everything about the Wii by September." [/paraphrasing]

How I would interpret that would be b4 the end of september but not ruling out b4 september even started.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2006, 06:47:05 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale 2.  I doubt that getting beat by two days counts as 'beating to market' in their mind.

It should.

A quick internet search easily reveals that many gamers (formerly diehard Sony fans) are currently on the fence about whether they should give the Wii a try this time around.

Because of the insane price of the PS3, the likelihood of them buying both is rather slim. Even releasing a few days before the PS3 will give Nintendo an advantage when it comes to picking up the sales which they would otherwise lose to the PS3.

Yeah, I have no doubt that both will sell out, but the hardcore gamers are the ones who are GUARANTEED to boost the software tie-in ratio dramatically, especially if they were previously willing to drop $800 on a PS3 with games and accessories.

Not giving the Wii at least a two week head start seems like suicide because we all know that Sony will do everything they can to bury the Wii in a marketing blitz of PS3 hype.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2006, 07:22:42 AM »
Poor Sony.  They have a good hype machine but they are going to have problems.  Because everytime they start to get hype going this time people are going to point out all that has gone wrong.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2006, 07:31:40 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
Not giving the Wii at least a two week head start seems like suicide because we all know that Sony will do everything they can to bury the Wii in a marketing blitz of PS3 hype.

I can see it now. Sony commercails with FMV's posing as gameplay footage. Consumerists are in aww.....

Nintendo needs to stop that before it starts with a blitz of their own: WOM.

"Hey....

Qoute of the Summer

Offline chain chomp

• Voted BEST by Pietriots
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2006, 12:29:31 PM »
something tells me that it will be realsed........yesterday!
wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2006, 11:53:41 PM »
For those that are undecided, I think the ace Nintendo has (should they choose to use it) is what they lack in lead time to market, they can make up for in actual availability.

The only way there would be equal or more PS3's than Wii's at launch is if Nintendo short-changes themselves like they were going to with the DS until Reggie (apparently) convinced them to beef up supply. These things are cheap to make. Load up the shelves, I say.

And if they can pull off an October launch AND offer up a fresh new pile of stock for PS3's launch, then all the better. We'll see.  
"wow."