Author Topic: The September edition of Nintendo Power  (Read 12702 times)

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
RE:The September edition of Nintendo Power
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2006, 08:51:50 PM »
I was thinking it was just a grip, I mean no one at E3 mentioned it.  Certainly now could be a bit late in the game to add buttons.  Devs are already hard at work, and I would think they would have mentioned the need for additional buttons, to Nintendo, months prior to E3.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2006, 09:10:18 PM »
The button wasn't on the E3 models of the wiimote, thats why noone mentioned it at E3. The button has only just now shown up in that pic in the Nintendo Power and no one with access to Nintendo has explained what the button is there for.

Is it an onld model that they used for the pic on accident? Development kit wiimote?
No one knows, no ones asking question, so appantly no one cares.
Or maybe no one can say just yet because of NDA and things of that sort.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: The September edition of Nintendo Power
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2006, 06:32:00 AM »
It could be a grip, or it might be the "zero" button which tells the Wiimote to consider it's current location "home".

For some games, you'll very likely need such a thing.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2006, 10:37:37 AM »
My guess is that it controls the volume of the speaker.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2006, 10:44:39 AM »
EDIT
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2006, 11:38:56 AM »
Nintendo Power sucks.

WHERE IS THE E3 BLOW-OUT DVD.  THE VIDEOS.  THE INAPPROPRIATE Wii FONDLING.

I put my foot down, NOW.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2006, 11:49:01 AM »
I only subscribe to Nintendo Power mostly just for the goodies.  I subscribed since the NES days but stopped after the GameCube came out since it didn't look like we would get GameCube demo discs.  After a couple years, they got me again because I wanted that Zelda Collectors Disc.

If they don't come out with something cool for next year, I may drop my subscription when it ends at the end of the year again, just like I did five years ago.

Funny how a new console = end of my subscriptions.

Anyway, that button likely isn't a gameplay button, but that's stating the obvious - but then it likely means it has to do with the controller...synching?  Homing?  Volume control?  Super-secret uber-function still unknown?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2006, 11:50:48 AM »
I stopped my Nintendo fpower Subscription when they stopped having a comic and started putting a lot of ads in there.  Before that it rocks.  I still want to get my hands on 1-32 to complete my collection.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2006, 12:38:24 PM »
Well.  

Nintendo is known for tinkering with their controllers uptil the very last minute before launch.  They have done this with the Gamecube Controller for sure, and I think even the Nintendo 64 and DS controller.

I remember an interview where Miyamoto didn't know they were planning on including a regular D-pad and buttons on the system.  

So, it totally wouldn't suprise me if the WiiPointer changes some before its final release.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2006, 02:12:35 PM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
Nintendo Power sucks.

WHERE IS THE E3 BLOW-OUT DVD.  THE VIDEOS.  THE INAPPROPRIATE Wii FONDLING.

I put my foot down, NOW.

Problem is that there wasn't a blowout at E3. All they had were playable Wiiii-ii. A DVD can't tell us what that's like (if Iwata is to be believed). And even if it could, Nintendo Power would hold out on us because NCL doesn't want NOA giving out anything playable for free.

We could start up a virtual "line simulator" game. It will be in your mailbox sometime within the next six months. Please stand by.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2006, 02:35:06 PM »
In some other topic I asked if there were any pics showing a comparitive size of the Wii, like that one pic of the sensor bar next to a fountain pen.
However for some strange reason, I can't rememeber which thread I asked in so I have to ask again. lol. I'm gonna say button is either a grip or the real secret we still haven't found out about.

Dun dun dun.

can you say... MEGATON!

hahahahahahaha.

I had to do it.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2006, 03:03:06 PM »
I tell you it Wii integration but no one listens...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2006, 02:57:44 PM »

Originally posted by: Requiem
My guess is that it controls the volume of the speaker.

i believe thats what the + and - buttons are for at the bottom of the controller, if the volume can indeed be adjusted that is. i think they are labeled 1 and 2 in the devolopment kit units (like those pics of the red steel team) but all of nintendos newer photos show it as either a and b or + and -

February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2006, 03:15:48 PM »
So, I've been waiting for the October issue for some time and I finally got it today. The reason I've been waiting for it is because I wanted to read the peice on Metroid Prime 3. It's been a while since we heard anything and I was hoping to get some new tidbits or new screens. But there was nothing. Metroid Prime 3 wasn't mentioned anywhere in the magazine. They never said anything about the article not being there and there's no mention of Metroid Prime 3 for the next issue.

I think this might lend credence to the rumours that Metroid Prime 3 won't be available at launch but sometime after instead. Still, I'm rather dissapointed. I really wanted some new info on the game.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2006, 05:22:05 AM »
I really want some new info on ANY Nintendo game.  Even Super Paper Mario!  Darn you Nintendo!
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2006, 05:56:00 AM »
As I said.  Metroid Prime being delayed is only a good thing.  Perhaps online modes will finally be implemented into the design from the start.  A good FPS online is exactly what Nintendo needs BEFORE Halo 3 comes out, or at the same time...and if Nintendo can make the game better than Hunters (which we know they can...) then it has huge potential to be a system seller...for non-Nintendo gamers.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2006, 06:12:45 AM »
Spak-Spang, why in hell would you want to impose an online "shooting range" mode on a game that focuses on exploration? In MPH I can see why because the game is focused more on shooting than exploration, but for MP3?! Nooooooo, thank you!

To be on-topic, it is a shame that this last issue of NP didn't have any major news, specially related to any Wii game. Well at least there's next month to hope for some big Wii coverage.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2006, 06:26:28 AM »
Caliban:  Because people like multiplayer experiences when it is good.  If Retro can get the single player game ready for launch, but are still interested in multiplayer why not give them the time to work on a multiplayer experience.  We saw that with Hunters it can work.  

For multiplayer just disable the lock on feature and you can have a really engaging experience.  Use the Hunters from the DS game, and add some new characters as well, and create a Nintendo exclusive FPS to advertise the Wii's online capabilities.  

With the new uses of the grappling beam it would be cool in a online verse mode to be able to throw enemies around, or grab powerups from their grasp and secure it for yourself.  There is alot to get excited about another multiplayer Metroid experience, and if it doesn't get in the way of the Single player experience I am all for it.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2006, 06:52:59 AM »
People like ice cream.  We should give Retro the time to figure out how to package a special frozen treat with every copy of the game.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2006, 07:01:13 AM »
Retro might implement multiplayer online, and I'd be happy with that, but I really doubt that's why they delayed the game (if they did at all).  I think the fact is that it's hard to finish a game in two years.  Retro did it before with Metroid Prime II, but the game was a very straight sequel to Metroid Prime.  They're trying more new stuff in this one, and it might take a while to get it right.

Here's another thought: Nintendo has always said that it doesn't want to repeat the game drought that we saw with the GameCube.  With third parties providing at least a dozen additional launch games, and with hype really high, maybe Nintendo decided to push some of its own games back a little: give third parties a chance, and ensure that the first half of 2007 will see a few major releases.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2006, 07:09:03 AM »
Multiplayer sucked on Echoes because it was so limiting. The control scheme, particularly, wasn't made for multiplayer. However, the freehand controller just works so well though I wouldn't want Nintendo/Retro to delay Corruption simply to add multiplayer.

And why do people complain about including multiplayer in Metroid? "It's a game about exploring." Yeah, and you shoot the crap out of things too. If it can work, then it works. I don't think multiplayer should automatically be dismissed because people don't think the series merits it.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2006, 07:14:37 AM »
I'm all for online mulitplayer, however if they delayed the game for that reason alone then it has already gotten in the way of the single player experience.

However, I am more of a believer in couchmonkey's points: delay because of many new experimental gameplay ideas; delay to spread out the release of flagship titles to give 3rd parties a chance.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2006, 07:30:03 AM »
I can see the ideas about a game draught, and I think that may be the first reasoning behind giving Retro more time.  But since that time has been alluded they now must decide what to do with it.  Most likely the single player levels are close to done, and adding new last minute gameplay mechanics may not work or take more time to impliment.  

However, Multiplayer could be something that could be implimented that would not require redesigns of single player elements or changes in AI routines to deal with a new attack/defense mechanic.

And it would give Nintendo another title to tout online features which will help 3rd parties and gamers see Nintendo's online presence are a real effort instead of an after thought or no thought.

There are several important reasons why Nintendo would decide to go this route.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2006, 07:37:29 AM »
I'd say Nintendo should try to establish a "party FPS" franchise instead of shoehorning Metroid into that role. Make something that people will buy for the multiplayer itself and don't bother with a completely separate singleplayer mode (i.e. aim for something like Mario Party or Smash Bros.). Currently Halo is the party FPS but I'm sure if Nintendo tried enough they could make a game that surpasses it. Unfortunately they don't seem to bother with that and just tack multiplayer onto Metroid.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2006, 08:11:49 AM »
I would love it if Metroid Prime 3 came out, say, a month after launch.
Because then I could take my time and enjoy Twilight Princess to the full capacity before moving on and playing the next game.  Having them both at once would be torture.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>