Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 2315690 times)

Offline Adrock

• Score: 119
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #8450 on: January 10, 2020, 09:31:36 AM »
I’m having trouble understanding what is gained from the cellphone approach. Research and development, marketing, manufacturing etc. all cost money. Is this something anyone really wants from a video gaming device? Look, I’ll upgrade because I like Nintendo games and things. I’ll cop to that, but I also consider myself an outlier in that sense. If I had kids or other major financial responsibilities, I probably couldn’t afford it.

That said, there’s only one place to get Nintendo games therefore switching to PC isn’t an option so if any company can pull off such a bold shift in hardware release strategy, it’s Nintendo. I have my doubts it actually will.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 72
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #8451 on: January 10, 2020, 04:53:55 PM »
R&D costs money, yes, but it costs money Nintendo is constantly spending.  It makes sense to keep your R&D team fully intact between generations than try to hire a bunch of people to design your next system, when you're ready.  If you're going to have those people around, they need to work on something and you have to sell that something, otherwise you're just spending cash to no benefit.

The different model approach definitely leads to more sales.  When the Switch came out, there were people who thought "That's too expensive and I'd only want to play on the go", and the Lite sells to those people.  There's people now that thing "Well, the Switch is cool, but seeing those resolution dips/frame rate drops turns me off", and a Pro would pull in those people.  Not to mention that you also get double dippers.

Further, dropping a new version, or even having rumours, gives your product some social cache.  The media will run stories, which is free publicity, which keeps your product at the top of peoples' minds. 

I could see a full cellphone model working, but the systems would have to be 3/4 years apart, where only two "waves" are supported.  But that assumes Nintendo wouldn't have some other hook for their next generation of consoles.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ShyGuy

• Tom Nook - Like a Boss!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #8452 on: January 10, 2020, 04:54:04 PM »
PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro released close together and I didn't hear a lot of kerfuffle about it.

Offline Khushrenada

• The Galaxy Is No Longer At Peace
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #8453 on: January 10, 2020, 05:11:45 PM »
PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro released close together and I didn't hear a lot of kerfuffle about it.

Because people generally didn't buy either of them. lololololololololol

Online Spak-Spang

• Lose your cat so you don't have to eat it
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #8454 on: January 11, 2020, 05:58:45 AM »
Different beast.  PS4 Slim was just a PS4 release model.  PS4 Pro was launched longer into the life of the PS4.  But I do remember people wondering if it was necessary, and the trust is, it wasn't.  PS4 Pro didn't extend the life of the PS4 brand or a Switch Pro won't either.  The best thing Nintendo can do moving forward is to just make sure download games and accounts will always be backwards compatible and try to support a system for as long as it is feasibly profitable to do so.  Wii U was a failure so ending that generation early made sense.  But the Switch is a success and people are not worried about it's power, so keep it going for another year or 2 before releasing a Pro....or never release the Pro and when the PS5 drops just drop the Switch price to be like super affordable.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #8455 on: January 11, 2020, 12:52:27 PM »
I’ve been meaning to post a new poll/thread asking if you fine people think Nintendo should release a Pro soon or wait to launch a successor. Unfortunately, I have been too lazy.

Releasing an enhanced Switch revision fits into what Iwata said way back about NX:
Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform. To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models.
The plan: Regularly release new form factors then eventually phase out the older ones. I don’t know if that’s going to work in the video game hardware space because these are specialized devices. Smartphones are used all day, every day in a variety of ways.

Switch Lite has a specific use case: Parents can buy all their wiener kids a “cheap” Switch. It’s much easier to understand Switch Lite’s place on store shelves. I don’t know what the market is for a “Pro” revision since it will be a half-step more powerful than the OG Switch yet still lag behind PlayStation 5/Xbox Series X/PC in terms of hardware power. If it’s powerful enough to get some ports, maybe I can see it’s worth if I squint though most of the Switch audience will remain on the standard chipset. Still seems unnecessary and Nintendo not done well justifying the existence of such revisions in the past. I suppose it depends on just how powerful a “Pro” revision is. The modest spec bumps of DSi/New 3DS won’t cut it.

You have to factor in that as time goes on technology gets cheaper. OG Switch price drops while new switch becomes the price of old switch. Tech prices are all half a sham too. Upgrading chips doesn't really cost nvidia other than research cost. The actual material cost is going to be similar. I am sure nvidia has recouped the research cost many times over and could provide huge leaps at low cost for Nintendo.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post